• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jason Wells

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Staunton VA
Looking for a new hunting knife. I have a Benchmade 156 know that I really like I just want something a little smaller to make easier to carry on the side. The 156 is a 6" blade that wieghs 9.6 oz. I am looking for a 4" knife that has some meat to it, I have used the 156 to hack trails through the woods and clear shooting lanes and then skinned deer with it the next day- I beat the hell out of it and it doesn't have a scratch. I want that same performance in a 4 or 5" blade knife, I have looked at the Esee LS knife but I'm not sure if I like the Micarta handle. Any feedback?

Re: Esee knifes

I have a esee 3 inch and I love it, well worth every penny IMO. I carry mine almost all the time and use it at work cutting all kinds of things and it holds a edge good. I would have no problem buying another one.

Walter

...Bark River makes some nice ones as well...

ESEE/RAT are great blades they show lots of support for MIL/LE. I have a Rc4 now which is a good blade.

Bark River makes some nice blades, too bad its owner can be a real dick sometimes and has a history of questionable business transactions. Own two.

As much as I love ESEE I really dont dig coated blades

I would think for your intended use a convex stainless rig would serve you well. Falknaiven makes some nice stuff right up that alley.

I have an ESEE6; good around the camp. Good for cutting, ok for slicing, even chops ok in a pinch. I have a good folderI carry all the time for small stuff, and the ESEE6 gets the rest. The micarta works well even when wet, but it does stain. I dont care about that, to me knives (and rifles and trucks for that matter) are tools so I dont mind normal wear and tear they get from use. The four inch knife, if you carry it all the time, would probably take care of most of both functions I guess but I dont carry a fixed blade all the time.

ESEE are nice knives. Keep in mind the 4 and 3 have a smaller handle. I have big hands and my hand barely fits. I also have some Bark Rivers which are also nice. Either will do very well. Look at the Fallknieven knives. You can pick up Bark Rivers for good prices used if you keep your eyes open.

Jason, I have an RC-4 "4 inxh blade" and an Izula. I have used them both in the woods while doing primative camping and would highly recommend them.

The RC-4 has the Micarta handle I have had no problems with slippage in wet conditions.

The customer service at ESEE is second to none.

Padre'

Got several of those rats. Very nice, very tuff. Did some with paracord other with micarta . Pretty nice.

I've got an Esee 5" that I won at a competition. Had not heard of them till then but I really like it. Very well built, very tough. Holds a good edge and and I really like the handle. Good blade!

I have the RC6 and love it. I am looking at getting the other ESEE models just because I love the one I have so much.

ESEE produce great products. The blades do mark up after heavy use but hold a spectacular edge IMO. The grips do stain as said above but this is a working man's knife. Also I am a fan of the sheaths they make. All too often you see great blades for sale with poor quality sheaths. +1 for a quality company

So op, did you get one and how do you like it?
Have a esee 4 and an izula; no plans to part with either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: annamariaslim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fallkniven is standard military issue for quite a few nations. </div></div>

Their prices are also 4x as much as Esee.