• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Essential Viewing - Educational DVDs for LR

ZombieSlayer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
The Land Down Under
Can anybody recommend any educational DVDs for persons like myself that are starting to stretch the legs of their current setups and/or building more advanced systems for engagement of targets beyond/well beyond the maximum 500-600 yard range commonly available and used by most. I see plenty of DVDs advertised at varying stores/websites but I'm after some personal recommendations before I start lashing out the money. Anything primarily educational but also entertaining with quality camera work and a little variety of situations/circumstance throw in to keep it interesting would be ideal. Target/Tactical/Hunting is all good. Obviously Art of the Precision Rifle is a keeper but the 2 others I've watched were rather disappointing and lacking anything really worth while, coming across more like someone's resume, this is what I can do, I'm a pro sniper rubbish.

So what's out there worth lashing out on?

You may want to go to the CMP web site and check out their instructional materials. They have a collection of presentations produced by the USAMU Service Rifle Section. These orientations will get you off to a good start as they promote recognition for what's really important to good shooting, whether Service Rifle or Long Range Rifle.

Obviously Art of the Precision Rifle is a keeper
Don't be so sure.

Are you asking for videos that show 'building more advanced systems', like rifle systems, or videos 'for engagement of targets beyond/well beyond' normal ranges, meaning ELR work?

Regardless, there is no difference between executing the fundamentals to shoot at 100 yards and executing the same fundamentals to shoot at 1000 yards.

Which videos that you watched were 'rather disappointing'?

OP,

Graham pretty much summed it up, alluding to long range fundamentals being the same as those for shooting at shorter distances. My own experience with the concept, as both a shooter and coach, suggests that really good results at LR will come as the shooter develops his understanding for the things which contribute to or thwart consistency. This is because angular errors produced by inconsistency increase with distance. Study of subjects like: wind and weather, position building, and hand loading will eventually help you get the bullet path and line of sight to intersect at LR when the fundamentals are properly executed. My favorite book on the subject is John Femster's book Black Magic. This book is about getting good results with the black rifle in XC; but, everything you read from the book transcribes to what's important to LR.

One more thing, shooters interested in getting into LR but not being oriented to the matter, sometimes place emphasis on rifles and cartridges which they perceive will help them get the job done, like the .300 Winchester Magnum. No doubt, this chambering was many an LR Champion's choice for many years; but, it is not the beginning LR shooters best route for a multitude of reasons. You might instead want to explore something like a .308 or .260. There's more to proper LR equipment, perhaps, for another thread. The big idea here is that right now you should be placing your concentration on marksmanship and not equipment.

Last edited:
Pick up Brian Litz's books on external ballistics. Also movies can help but nothing beats hands on training. Magpuls precision rifle classes take place in the Yakima area last time I checked you could also look at accuracy first down in Texas. A good school won't be cheap but it will really set you down the right oath as far as fundamentals.

Sent from my iPad autocorrect at your own risk.

OP,

Graham pretty much summed it up, alluding to long range fundamentals being the same as those for shooting at shorter distances. My own experience with the concept, as both a shooter and coach, suggests that really good results at LR will come as the shooter develops his understanding for the things which contribute to or thwart consistency. This is because angular errors produced by inconsistency increase with distance. Study of subjects like: wind and weather, position building, and hand loading will eventually help you get the bullet path and line of sight to intersect at LR when the fundamentals are properly executed. My favorite book on the subject is John Femster's book Black Magic. This book is about getting good results with the black rifle in XC; but, everything you read from the book transcribes to what's important to LR.

One more thing, shooters interested in getting into LR but not being oriented to the matter, sometimes place emphasis on rifles and cartridges which they perceive will help them get the job done, like the .300 Winchester Magnum. No doubt, this chambering was many an LR Champion's choice for many years; but, it is not the beginning LR shooters best route for a multitude of reasons. You might instead want to explore something like a .308 or .260. There's more to proper LR equipment, perhaps, for another thread. The big idea here is that right now you should be placing your concentration on marksmanship and not equipment.

Thanks everyone for the recommended viewing so far. I'll check them out.

I currently shoot a custom 30" 308 to 500 as that's where my range runs out. I plan to join another that runs to 1000yards where I'll still use the 308 mostly. I am however building a 338 375ruger as a couple properties I hunt on have goats and deer to harvest but lr is the only option with the layout of the land. Shots to 800 would be the norm and I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting larger game at this range with my 308. That combined with a custom benchrest single round stock isn't very practical.

And I've been rolling my own for 2 years. Only ever shot a single box of factory when I left my ammo at home.

I started a thread previous on my equipment for this build but not a single response to it.