• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Eureka!!! Great tip for Stainless Tumbling users!

turbo54

Mr. 7mm
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2010
Michigan
I use STM. Works beautifully with one exception: The lanolin-based lubes don't wash off so easily. I've often had to change out my soapy water and keep tumbling to clean it all off.

I've noticed that any lanolin on my hands is very difficult to wash off.

The trick: use dish soap as lubricant. The Ivory I use sizes brass effortlessly,and then becomes the detergent for tumbling. Works awesome, and tumbling is quicker than ever.

Re: Eureka!!! Great tip for Stainless Tumbling users!

that is brilliant, I'll give it a try.

Do you spray it on with a squirt bottle or what? This certainly is a great idea.

I thought you guys who were stainless tumbling were only depriming, then tumbling, followed by sizing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eclipse57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you spray it on with a squirt bottle or what? This certainly is a great idea. </div></div>

I squeeze the soap out onto my hands, then knead the brass. Add a bit more soap to my hands, knead more.

Then I dump the brass into my case feeder and start pulling the lever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice tip!

Deprime
1hour 30 min tumble
Resize
RCBS case slick as sizing lube
10min tumble to remove lube
30min in the 98* sun

</div></div>

The RCBS case slick comes off brass really easily, but it's expensive. I've been making lube with lanolin and alcohol; it works beautifully but it is a bastard to get back off the brass. The soap just doesn't remove it well. Even if I'm VERY sparing with the lube, I might have to change my tumbler water 2-3 times to get squeaky clean brass.

Update:

I continue to use Ivory liquid dish detergent as caselube. It works GREAT. Here are some tips:

- a little soap goes a long way

- dedicate a cardboard box for the lubing/kneading process. Once you "weather" the cardboard, it does a good job of absorbing excess soap, and imparting a soapy/waxy sheen perfect for case lube

- once you've finished lubing, let the cases sit and "dry" for 10 minutes or so. When the cases are "wet" with soap, they aren't well lubed. What you want is a dry/waxy sheen on the cases.

- if the cases are sticking or not sizing nice OR you're getting shoulder dents, you're soap hasn't dried enough.

I'm amazed this caselube isn't the mainstream method. It works awesome.

Good shooting!

Because someone can't charge money for it. I know there was a story about a company moving a light house on rails. They couldn't find a lube that could handle the weight. They ended up using bar soap rubbed on rails.The cheapest solution of all...

Cheap is better sometimes. I would say you could mix soap diluted in alcohol to make a spray..

I've been using Dawn with Lemishine when I tumble. No problems cleaning it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gimpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using Dawn with Lemishine when I tumble. No problems cleaning it yet. </div></div>

Two questions for you:

1. Are you using a lanolin-based caselube?

2. How many cases (and which cartridge) are you tumbling at a time?

What a great tip... I will need to give this a try.

I've been using imperial sizing wax without any difficulties coming off in the tumble... Ill have to try the ivory though...that's pretty cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frogman77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using imperial sizing wax without any difficulties coming off in the tumble... Ill have to try the ivory though...that's pretty cool. </div></div>

I prep and load brass in big batches...500+ pieces at a time, on a case feeder equipped Dillon 650. Imperial is not an option. Must be able to be quickly applied, en-mass.

Ah... I'm tracking now turbo...didn't realize your were applying in mass quantity...

Bump to the top for a nice tip to those resizing a lot of brass at once, and want to do it cheap.

So do you have to tumble with a rotary? Also does it have to be in a liquid? I was curious what would happen if you throw the stuff in a tumbler dry.

I think you're stating a solution to a problem that doesn't / shouldn't exist. Yes to those who asked, most folks clean their cases before sizing. And frankly cleaning lube off your cases after sizing just doesn't seem to be an issue IMO. I use either Hornady Unique or Imperial Die Wax, and when sizing cleaned and lubed cases a quick wipe with a towel, is all that is necessary before continuing on with the process of loading AND shooting my ammo. I would never even think about using soap for lubing my cases, I lube them after tumbling in stainless steel media and then get to the sizing, including lubing my cases before sizing.

I assume the ivory is in liquid form? I will try this as well. Ive been using the lanolin/alchohol as well but I am using a vibratory tumbler right now but I am going to go the stainless route soon.

dustinoif3 said:
So do you have to tumble with a rotary? Also does it have to be in a liquid? I was curious what would happen if you throw the stuff in a tumbler dry.

I'm not sure what you're asking here but I'll take a stab... I've found that when use the STM to clean my cases after sizing, unless I do small batches, there isn't enough water in the tumbler to emulfsify all the lanolin-based caselube. That means I have to change the water out mid-clean. That sux.

So far I've used Ivory liquid dish soap only, and it's worked so well I haven't experiemented with others.

fish30114 said:
I think you're stating a solution to a problem that doesn't / shouldn't exist. Yes to those who asked, most folks clean their cases before sizing. And frankly cleaning lube off your cases after sizing just doesn't seem to be an issue IMO. I use either Hornady Unique or Imperial Die Wax, and when sizing cleaned and lubed cases a quick wipe with a towel, is all that is necessary before continuing on with the process of loading AND shooting my ammo. I would never even think about using soap for lubing my cases, I lube them after tumbling in stainless steel media and then get to the sizing, including lubing my cases before sizing.

When I buy factory ammo, there is never any kind of *junk* on the cases. The brass is shiny and bright, and it will pass the "white glove test". I've tried a bunch of different brass cleaning techniques, and they all fail the white glove test. Either there is dusty debris left over, or a greasy sheen, or some rouge...or something left over from the cleaning process. I don't like the idea of blasting that shit down my quality rifle barrel at 60ksi and 3000fps. As mentioned prior, if I used a lanolin based lube, I had to change the water several times to get all of the greasiness off the brass. The soap technique avoids this, and I easily get bright, clean, shiny brass that passes the white glove test.

Additionally, I don't load 20-50 rounds at a time. I load 250-500 rounds at a time. I'm not interested in applying lube to, and removing lube from 500 cases - one at a time.

P7id10t said:
How do you keep your sizer die from rusting?

The dies won't rust overnight, but if they're not going to be used a while, I wash them with soap, water and a bottle brush, then hit them with some WD40 for storage.

Pro tip - get a large ziplock bag and fill hit half way with cases. Put a little lube (soap, I guess) in and close. you can now "knead" the brass without getting lube all over your hands and making a mess of things. dump the cases, refill the bag, and you don't use as much lube on the second batch.

I have to admit I've never thought of using soap before. I've tried just about everything else I can think of. CLP (no!), Pam (very good, actually), but never soap.