• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Evacuate

OldSalty2

Just a salty OG liberal.
Minuteman
  • Aug 29, 2020
    So the gobag thread got me thinking 🤔. I am completely unprepared for a evacuation scenario where you might be forced from the home for a variety of reasons. Could be EMP, chemical or biological, radiation etc. But we talking imminent life threatening event, where area is not going to be fit for survival.

If you have to evac with a quickness, I assume one will need some large spare duffles, totes, (trashbags) and depending on how much shit you can cram into the Tesla, will need to prioritize. Not to mention will likely need to gather shit from your closets, safes, shelves, pantries etc.

What about pets? Take them along in case a protein source is needed later down the road? With a wife and kids things get more complicated, can't just bolt with the lifestraw, a 22LR , a magnesium strip and knife to head for the mountains where you will rebuild civilization with your bare hands...

Maybe a good idea to set up weekly evacuation drills? So, what's your evacuation plan?

Last edited:
    what's your evacuation plan?

OIP.stcU5n4gvRV3UqAJDPY7kQHaHa

I'm assuming we're talking localized disaster and the rest of the country will still be standing, if a little shook up? I guess that depends on how much warning I get and how many others get the message as well. Are we talking hurricane evac level of warning time or missle inbound? If it's the latter, evac would really only be grab the keys and go, but I still doubt many would get very far. Traffic out in that kind of scenario would be a nightmare depending upon how many people got the message and took it to heart. I could, right now, pack all the things that matter to me into my truck and just go, but I would guess it would take at least an hour. Cutting it down to 5-10 minutes, I'd be leaving some stuff behind and what I grab would really depend on where I am when I get the signal.

So the gobag thread got me thinking 🤔. I am completely unprepared for a evacuation scenario where you might be forced from the home for a variety of reasons. Could be EMP, chemical or biological, radiation etc. But we talking imminent life threatening event, where area is not going to be fit for survival.

If you have to evac with a quickness, I assume one will need some large spare duffles, totes, (trashbags) and depending on how much shit you can cram into the Tesla, will need to prioritize. Not to mention will likely need to gather shit from your closets, safes, shelves, pantries etc.

What about pets? Take them along in case a protein source is needed later down the road? With a wife and kids things get more complicated, can't just bolt with the lifestraw, a 22LR , a magnesium strip and knife to head for the mountains where you will rebuild civilization with your bare hands...

Maybe a good idea to set up weekly evacuation drills? So, what's your evacuation plan?
    You describe yourself as a liberal.

So you have no need to prepare since your beloved .gov will take care of all your needs when you get to the FEMA camp.

As for us, we already evacuated.
    74bFMSv.jpg

You describe yourself as a liberal.

So you have no need to prepare since your beloved .gov will take care of all your needs when you get to the FEMA camp.

As for us, we already evacuated.
    74bFMSv.jpg

Wind driven fire is one thing already being evacuated does not cover unless you've evacuated to a desert.

Isn't this exactly what a BOB is for? I have some experience with evacuating. Every time I've had to do it the problem I was evacuating to escape was to do with water, either there wasn't any of it or there was entirely too much. I always thought that was odd since I live in a place where earthquakes are the thing everyone frets over. In exactly zero of the times I've had to evacuate would a BOB have been anything but excess cargo.

We made a last minute decision to bug out during hurricane Harvey in 2017. We fully intended to ride it out because we have animals that you really just can't abandon. Unless it gets really serious then the gates get left open and it's every man and critter for themselves.

We had been watching the weather (we never lost power through that whole mess) and tracking the storm. We would get a heavy band of storms then it would clear out for a couple hours and most of the water would run off. It was coming down like a cow pissing on a flat rock! 5-7" an hour at times.

Then it appeared the the storm was going to come in east of us, which it did but it was far enough east that it didn't really get us, sorry rockport, but we made the decision to bail out anyway.

I told my wife, didn't have kids at the time, be ready in an hour. Three hours later we were pulling out.

We each loaded a bag like we were taking a vacation and I went heavy on the armament. Our primary ar's and a couple thousand rounds for them. Both our sidearms and our cc guns, a 12ga, a good 10/22 and plenty of ammo and my ar10. And the dogs. And a chainsaw. In case we had to cut our way back in.

Looking back all that probably wasn't necessary but we didn't t know what would come back to. That's a real crummy feeling.

Otherwise, jsut your rifle and sidearm. The rest can be scavenged from those w/o guns.

And that right there is the problem with humans.
    Yep when the going gets rough and you haven't prepared, just go kill, rob and loot.

Just remember you won't be the only one with that plan.

Plenty of good folks are well prepared to deal with looters like that & won't hesitate at the first hint that you are such a type.

Yep when the going gets rough and you haven't prepared, just go kill, rob and loot.

Plenty of good folks are well prepared to deal with looters like that & won't hesitate at the first hint that you are such a type.
    Talking to a coworker about the looming potential for food shortages on the horizon and that is just his plan.

Basically plans on going down and robbing the grocery stores to make sure he and his can eat.

And then there's the, my groceries all run around in the woods crowd. Heard that one yesterday. One guy told me he knows where a rancher has some cows just a short trip though the woods from his subdivision. I'm sure that'll go over well.

Don't fixate on all the pie in the sky hopeful end of the world stuff.

The most likely reasons for you to have to leave your house are storms, fires, earthquakes and natural or weather related disasters.
    (Unless you like live next to a chemical plant or something that might blow up or have a train derail).

A good start would be to work with friends and family who live a decent distance away from you, a plan for if something happens, who can you go stay with?
    What do you need to bring with you as a guest?

Your planning might be somewhat dictated by if you actually live in an area prone to such things.
    In places where for example the only storm problem could be tornadoes, you don't get much running away, it's mainly do you have a shelter you can get to in a hurry and then come back out and see what you have left.

Real liberals don't see the issue with that plan. And expect AAA to be on duty as well.

The thought of bugging out in an electric vehicle dependent on power grid, charging stations and with limited range is just beyond retarded. Not to mention if you have a small branch or debris in the road. Forget about going off road.

At that point you’re better off just hunkering down and hoping for the best.

53ED1730-F00A-4058-B325-075B2244C353.jpeg
    Electric cars as a bug out ride in a era where there are already brownouts?

Uhm, how does NO sound to you?

California will burn and most Californians won’t make it to NV or OR before they are roadside salvage.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
    And then there's the, my groceries all run around in the woods crowd. Heard that one yesterday. One guy told me he knows where a rancher has some cows just a short trip though the woods from his subdivision. I'm sure that'll go over well.

Did you ask the guy if he has any clue how to butcher a cow and any equipment to do so?
    Or was his plan something like shoot bullets into it until it drops then pull out your rambo knife and try to cut off a leg and haul it back home?

• Haha
    Reactions: AMGtuned
    The thought of bugging out in an electric vehicle dependent on power grid, charging stations and with limited range is just beyond retarded. Not to mention if you have a small branch or debris in the road. Forget about going off road.

At that point you’re better off just hunkering down and hoping for the best.

Even if you have a fuel powered vehicle, you better have a plan for enough fuel being brought with you to cover the journey and then some.
    Even in just like "normal" evacuations, often the gasoline stations for 100 miles in every direction run out of fuel quickly.
    If you were to add in some kind of disruption to the power or communication systems, you might need to go a long way before getting fuel.

Even if you have a fuel powered vehicle, you better have a plan for enough fuel being brought with you to cover the journey and then some.
    Even in just like "normal" evacuations, often the gasoline stations for 100 miles in every direction run out of fuel quickly.
    If you were to add in some kind of disruption to the power or communication systems, you might need to go a long way before getting fuel.

Yeah, fuel pumps work so fucking well without electricity..........

Reactions: UKDslayer
    Did you ask the guy if he has any clue how to butcher a cow and any equipment to do so?
    Or was his plan something like shoot bullets into it until it drops then pull out your rambo knife and try to cut off a leg and haul it back home?
    I can visualize a lot of this happening if it comes down to it. Most people will just carve off enough for a meal then the rest will be left for the buzzards. Total waste.

We had a neighbor for a short time that liked to poach deer. Never could catch him but we found evidence of his handy work a couple times. Always the same thing. Whole deer laying in the weeds on our property with only the backstrap missing.

In an EMP event your fucked anyway - unless you have an older vehicle that doesn't have all the electronics cars today have.

Not 100% sure if Tesla is EMP proof. Cause it's only going to be good for 300 miles if it is.

In an EMP event your fucked anyway - unless you have an older vehicle that doesn't have all the electronics cars today have.
    12 valve powered suburban comes to mind. Loud af though. It's not all that hard to emp proof an older vehicle.

Reactions: AMGtuned
    First, the thread was meant to be sort of silly and serious at the same time. that's why I mentioned Tesla and EMP...and eating the pets..lol.

Secondly since its been mentioned, then perhaps I should address.

Think what you want but please know that you shouldnt confuse liberalism with the current leftist clown-world-freak-show. But, I'm no fan of totalitarian dictatorships no matter what side of the aisle they claim to come from. At the end of the day a more "live and let live" type. And while I do support some form of social programs (assuming some here get SS), I'm not for universal basic income or the likes. And certainly draw a line with handing out free crack pipes. Programs should be to temporarily prop up while you work to improve position not a generational lifestyle intentionally perpetuated by terrible policy. Oh, And individual responsibility not this new idea of what basically amounts to racial segregation that the left is pulling...or that worth is tied to factors only God controls. More in-line with MLK, probably because of how schools taught about MLK back in the day. Basic tenets still true imo.

Lastly, every single taxpayer cent, every single one, should be a line item that can be reviewed by every citizen. :)

Reactions: Maggot

You won't live long trying that around where I live. Mostly because you will soon guess incorrectly about who doesn't have guns.

Guaranteed.
    Do either of you know how to spell...sarcasm, or even humor.:unsure:

The most likely bug out scenario will last hours/days. The chances of needing to flee from a chemical release, storm, wildfire, etc is what I'm prepared mostly for because that's the most likely to happen. If Armageddon occurs there won't be enough stuff to sustain you no matter how much crap you packed - you only own what you can carry with you.

That said we have BOB's and extra fuel/water cans, food, ammunition in the Van and car - we can literally grab our BOB's and the dog and be out of here in less than 3 minutes, able to sustain on the road or another location for weeks. That's as good as it gets for me...preparing for a Space Invasion or Global Thermal Nuclear War is nice but I prefer to live with Reality and plan for the most likely scenario.

VooDoo

Reactions: XP1K
    Leave early...
    American's are procrastinator's.
    The only plan 95% of the people have is "Hope".
    You can run your bug out practice every week and it will go like clock work. Add 1,000 cars with 1/8th of a tank of gas and see how that works out.
    You, being the prepared guy will be expected to offer help along your route. The later you leave the more help will be needed.
    Here is some visual to help you understand. Hurricane Katrina evacuation, New Orleans
    59a57c53cee7c.image.jpg
    1658252061500.jpeg
    mqdefault.jpg

A lot more stuff will stay running in an EMP event than you might expect, unless they are really close or the conditions are just right.

Now I suspect a lot more cars have a government accessible or hackable shutdown switch than people know, and that's something that might be an issue.
    Also the adults in the room have some pretty nasty little mobile vehicles kitted out that will pretty much shut down most any vehicles with electronics and those that don't may or may not still wind up having their batteries go flat.

You might want to also seriously consider backup plans for if you have to hoof it out by foot, or bicycle or dirt bike.

It's a lot easier to shut down most major cities than people realize, and those who think they will be taking the back roads out might find there are plenty of choke points where anyone doing decent planning could shut those down as well.

Our own government is much more likely to pull something like that as a false flag event than us needing to worry about an enemy attack.

You lost me at bugging out in a Tesla… especially with mention of EMP 😂

Maybe he has a faraday cage.

I'm too old and crippled to "bug-out" during an apocalyptic event. Since we moved inland, I don't even plan to evacuate for hurricanes. We'll be the ones found decomposed in our home some years later. With any luck the lawn will be covered with aspiring looters.

there are 2-3 scenarios...mad max, hurricane, riots/Rodney king

if its mad max...its over in general a few weapons etc might let you last a little longer but thats a entirely different world/story

hurricane... you just need cash, credit and full tank of gas to drive to the other side of the state..like a weekend trip
    the 2 big hurricanes in the north east which had 10's of millions of people with out electricity gas shortages...the whole nine. there was actually less crime at that time. i was out or power for more than a week with both and there was no need for a mass exodus.

riots... possibly need of firearms but why are you "driving through the drama" take another route if possible, unless the insanity spreads and they are just stopping random people trying to leave. this is prob the one scenario that firearms will actually make a life long difference

plus you dont know the condition of the other location you are heading to

flip side to all of this...my actual job

do you need medication or scrips, legally you can only have 3 months on hand..are only allowed to buy 3 months at a time.
    so you cant stock up/prep because you cant buy more today
    of course you can break into a CVS, but your bugging out not scavenging

so if you need heart meds etc...your only bugging out until your meds runout then either you need to go "back to town" of see what happens

myself included, we have a plan and such but if you have a couple of kids in school (different parts of town) your not going anywhere fast

bugging out doesnt happen when we are on the couch at 5:30 on a saturday

if you have to leave immediately/right this very second for a plum of toxic fumes that are deadly etc, your picking which family member gets left behind...

triage and hope for the best

edit: although this is very morbid and i wish no one ever has to make this decision...but at what age do you save the wife over the child or the other way around? pops in my head from time to time..strange yes but it pops up

Last edited:
    • Sad
    Reactions: OldSalty2
    Leave early...
    You can run your bug out practice every week and it will go like clock work. Add 1,000 cars with 1/8th of a tank of gas and see how that works out.
    You, being the prepared guy will be expected to offer help along your route. The later you leave the more help will be needed.
    Here is some visual to help you understand. Hurricane Katrina evacuation, New Orleans
    59a57c53cee7c.image.jpg
    View attachment 7915389
    mqdefault.jpg
    That's the real crux of the situation.

In some situations (hurricane for example) doing so is realativly painless and easy to judge the time frame.

In others (societal breakdown for example) it is impossible to know precisely. So leaving too early and it's a false alarm can cause issues. Your job will only put up for so long with your taking off at last minute to bug out.

Reactions: UKDslayer

In some situations (hurricane for example) doing so is realativly painless and easy to judge the time frame.

In others (societal breakdown for example) it is impossible to know precisely. So leaving too early and it's a false alarm can cause issues. Your job will only put up for so long with your taking off at last minute to bug out.

Stationed in the panhandle in '94. I think it was Hurricane Opal and local "experts' are advising everyone to evacuate. By the time our unit finished prepping, traffic was backed-up from I10 to the gate I used (17-18 miles). I got home and the wife (from yankee land, never experienced a hurricane) met me in the garage. "I have the important stuff in the van, let's go." One look at that face and I knew it was useless to argue. I tried every low-traffic route I could think of. Twelve hours later we had driven in a circle and rode it out in her van parked next to a large structure about an hour from home.

After that boondoggle, local "experts" recommended going to a shelter or riding it out unless you lived on the coast or in mobile home.

Bug out... I am not running anywhere. Near the coast so can eat seafood to survive. There is a reason most acient cultures thrived along the coast lines and rivers. Bicycle for transportation. Fuel wont last long. K.I.S.S.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    So having done this a couple of time due to fire, I would recommend levels of evacuation dependent on time you have. BOB for immediate escape and having an idea and a plan of where you fall back to.

The first time I evacuated it took a bit and I took a ton of shit. The second time I had an hour. Whole rooms were left behind and the door closed knowing I didn’t need that stuff. Marking your house as evacuated and shutting down power island water is helpful as first responders can f your stuff up while they are doing their job evacuating people.

It is really identifying what mediate needs are and what you may need 1 week out or longer. It is an exercise that should be done and drilled as you may not have time when it comes.
    Short list
    Important pictures and documents if not on the cloud
    Cash
    Guns
    Keys
    Medication
    Food
    Change of clothes always think warmer clothes.
    Always keep at least a half tank of gas I. The car ALWAYS.
    Leave early no sense dying like a chump in a traffic jam.
    And if you own a Tesla get a gas car.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

William Shakespeare
    “Better three hours too soon than a minute too late.”
    The Merry Wives of Windsor, Act 2, Scene 2
    I welcome a discussion of the importance / priority of a job. A single male, no responsibility, who can "think on his feet" will enjoy the adrenaline rush of a last minute exit. A married man with small children and a wife in a panic state of mind needs to figure out his priority (family / job) long before the SHTF. Older couples (70+) most likely have health issues and medical care could be their priority.
    If the job means more than family then turn your dwelling into a bunker and ride it out.
    Or, secure a retreat, send the family to the retreat very early. Now you are the guy who can make an exit as the fire is lapping at your heels.
    There are a few here who are job scared and will remain on the job until death.
    Another option is to place family first and relocate to a rural area, work remote, bond with the local culture and watch Rome burn.
    My least favorite option is to allow "Denial" to over come you and just go on about your daily life as if nothing bad will ever happen.
    Life is full of options.

If it’s anything sudden by the time my wife got everything packed she just has to have I’m pretty much done for, so my plan would center around breaking open a bottle of small batch bourbon I’ve been saving and appreciate that I’ve enjoyed life, and shoot people as they try to ransack the neighborhood, so a quick bug out probably isn’t in my future.

If it’s anything sudden by the time my wife got everything packed she just has to have I’m pretty much done for, so my plan would center around breaking open a bottle of small batch bourbon I’ve been saving and appreciate that I’ve enjoyed life, and shoot people as they try to ransack the neighborhood, so a quick bug out probably isn’t in my future.
    No 'wif' but at 72, fuck it. Have a drink, shoot a looter, roll another one, rinse, repeat.:)

Ever tried charging a Tesla when the power is out? Oh wait, charge with a diesel generator.

I know...low hanging fruitm
    O a small bumper mounted dual fuel which would give you more versatility.

Leave early...
    59a57c53cee7c.image.jpg
    View attachment 7915389
    mqdefault.jpg
    That is just standard traffic in LA. The best thing I ever did was leave that hell hole and escape to N Idaho. No need to bug out now.

William Shakespeare
    “Better three hours too soon than a minute too late.”
    The Merry Wives of Windsor, Act 2, Scene 2
    I welcome a discussion of the importance / priority of a job. A single male, no responsibility, who can "think on his feet" will enjoy the adrenaline rush of a last minute exit. A married man with small children and a wife in a panic state of mind needs to figure out his priority (family / job) long before the SHTF. Older couples (70+) most likely have health issues and medical care could be their priority.
    If the job means more than family then turn your dwelling into a bunker and ride it out.
    Or, secure a retreat, send the family to the retreat very early. Now you are the guy who can make an exit as the fire is lapping at your heels.
    There are a few here who are job scared and will remain on the job until death.
    Another option is to place family first and relocate to a rural area, work remote, bond with the local culture and watch Rome burn.
    My least favorite option is to allow "Denial" to over come you and just go on about your daily life as if nothing bad will ever happen.
    Life is full of options.
    You make good points.

The job probably doesn't mean more then the family but absent a job you can't take care of a family either.

So leaving has to be balanced with that reality. As does moving out to the country. Though the current trend towards working from home has made the latter more obtainable.

Again this isn't about the easily gauged emergencies such as a hurricane. It is about knowing when to leave for the things that can't be known ahead of time.

Though as is the constant mantra over on actual survival forums, "absent a prepared and welcoming destination, bugging out simply makes you a refugee and the bug out bag just makes you a slightly better prepared refugee."