• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ever been a victim of Identity Theft?

BiggBeans

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Kansas
So about a month ago I received a letter in the mail from the IRS stating that me and my wife owe $7000 in taxes from 2019. Apparently we have have about $45,000 worth of income that we did not report when we did our income taxes in 2020. We live in Kansas, and the un-reported income is from Wisconsin. Apparently somebody has been working at an Ashley Furniture store using my wife's exact name and social security number. Wife called the store up and asked them what the hell was going on. They put the lady (who's using my wifes ss #) on speaker phone. And she got pissed off. And said that she had a family to feed and that if we wanted problems with her then she is ready for anything. We then talked to the manager of the store and they pretty much told my wife they cant do anything about it. So a couple weeks ago my wife filed a police report here in kansas. They took all her info, social security #, birth certificate, etc. The sheriffs dept called us back yesterday and asked us if there were any updates. we told them that Rep for Ashley Furniture pretty much told us we were shit out of luck. Sheriff got pissed off and said give me a few minutes. 30 minutes later we had ICE calling us, they are going to send ICE agents to that Ashley Furniture Store to get everything sorted out. As a father of a 3 year old and another on the way, it kind of makes me sad to know they will probably arrest and deport the lady. I dont feel bad for her, but i do for her kids. I cant imagine being seperated from my daughter. But at the end of the day it is the only way this will get sorted out.

I dont know if any of you guys have ever been through this. But its fucking stressful. Especially having the IRS on your ass wanting you to pay $7,000 worth of taxes on money we didnt even make. Now we are waiting to hear if that lady has taken out any loans using my wifes SS number. I dont think so as nothing has shown up on her credit report.

So about a month ago I received a letter in the mail from the IRS stating that me and my wife owe $7000 in taxes from 2019. Apparently we have have about $45,000 worth of income that we did not report when we did our income taxes in 2020. We live in Kansas, and the un-reported income is from Wisconsin. Apparently somebody has been working at an Ashley Furniture store using my wife's exact name and social security number. Wife called the store up and asked them what the hell was going on. They put the lady (who's using my wifes ss #) on speaker phone. And she got pissed off. And said that she had a family to feed and that if we wanted problems with her then she is ready for anything. We then talked to the manager of the store and they pretty much told my wife they cant do anything about it. So a couple weeks ago my wife filed a police report here in kansas. They took all her info, social security #, birth certificate, etc. The sheriffs dept called us back yesterday and asked us if there were any updates. we told them that Rep for Ashley Furniture pretty much told us we were shit out of luck. Sheriff got pissed off and said give me a few minutes. 30 minutes later we had ICE calling us, they are going to send ICE agents to that Ashley Furniture Store to get everything sorted out. As a father of a 3 year old and another on the way, it kind of makes me sad to know they will probably arrest and deport the lady. I dont feel bad for her, but i do for her kids. I cant imagine being seperated from my daughter. But at the end of the day it is the only way this will get sorted out.

I dont know if any of you guys have ever been through this. But its fucking stressful. Especially having the IRS on your ass wanting you to pay $7,000 worth of taxes on money we didnt even make. Now we are waiting to hear if that lady has taken out any loans using my wifes SS number. I dont think so as nothing has shown up on her credit report.
Get your ass onto the big three credit reporting agencies websites like right now and lock down your accounts with passwords.

Experian
Equifax
Transunion

Did I happen to mention "IMMEDIATELY" ?

Our's (Wife and Myself) are locked down and only get unlocked "momentarily" for large transactions (real estate or vehicle purchases) and get locked again as soon as the requesting party (bank/escrow/dealership) have the information they need. I tend to think that lenders, credit card companies/banks can probably figure out a fishy claim pretty quickly, just given the fact that the suspect is trying to ping a credit account that is locked. Whether true or not, I tend to think it gives a little bit of added "insurance". Being locked all the time certainly does.

Last edited:
Reactions: John's Friend

Ashley could be in trouble because if you notified them of this, someone using false ss# for tax reporting purposes, they are obliged by law to report it. I'd prosecute to the fullest extent possible here

I hope you get this resolved in your favor and the thief gets deported and/or prison time. A few years back someone in Illinois, started buying large amounts of gasoline, Mexican food and pizza, with my credit card. I've never been to Illinois! A phone call and a trip to my local bank, resolved the issue for me. I'm not sure if they ever caught the thieves.

Once...my wife and I got a ticket in the mail addressed to my father who had been living with us while we took care of him after he had a stroke. It was a ticket for running a red light by one of the cameras they set up for that. Problem was though...the car he was supposedly driving wasn't his...and more troubling was he had passed away a number of weeks prior.

Someone had apparently stole his identity...purchased a vehicle and registered it in his name. After getting the police involved....making contact with the dealership that sold the car to figure things out...a police report was filed and things were handled by them...of course I never did hear what transpired after that. His accounts had already been closed....banks and cards and all...so no money was at risk...but I was surprised someone was able to accomplish financing with fake addresses and stuff.

I was pretty sure they got his name and SSN from mail that had been stolen from our mailbox...that happened once or twice before I switched it out for one that locked.

Have no sympathy on the woman who threatened you. She can go back to her country and work there like everyone else back home does. The kind of person that threatens you deserves no sympathy.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Not to make light of what happened to you. They can sure do something! E-verify is a must!

But everyday I have identity theft, my damn ugly twin makes life hard sometimes

Yes - Lock down you credit so no one can pull a credit report. In my case I was notifed by free credit monitoring. By the time I was notified they were able to get a personal loan and about 20K in merchandise on store credit cards. I was able to do some detective work and provide the state police with a lot of nformation. Three different states were involved. hard to beleive but the secret service also gets involved becaue they file for federal supenas to make the stoire turn over their security footage. It is amazing how little cooperation the retail stores provide LE. Most of the items and accounts got squashed right away. There was a rental car in my name that took about 19 months to get squared away. This ws afer talking with a detective in the auto theft division as well as the MA state police. Giant PITA. The main issue is even if caught they will generally walk away with a slap on the wrist. In my case they arrested a couple people with a fake ID with my info. The arresting officer stated they were hoping to get info from them and would drop charges. You can also fill out a form and have a pin added to the NICS. Logic is if someone gets arrested and uses your ID there wiill be a warrant for your arrest until you prove it was not you. The NICS should require LE to as k for a PIN / password. Now what I have found out is that most dispatchers / LE will not read the full NICS to see there is a PIN / Password attached to your name.

I only wish I could have seen that fatasses (they all are) face when the ICE people showed up.

Give me problems and Im ready for anything!11!!1

Oh shit I'm getting deported.

LOL

Just wait until I'm Warload of the Utah Arizona sector. Shit like this gets you shot in the face at close range and left laying there.

• Love
Reactions: Im2bent
Kind of. Had somebody commit Unemployment Fraud against my business. Due to Covid-19 and California's completely dysfunctional Employment Development Department the thief managed to collect at least 4 months of payments (at approx 3k a month). Nobody at the EDD even contacted me despite the fact that the information the thief used was only partially correct. The EDD just paid and then a few months later sent me a nice note telling me that my UI premiums were going up. Then the Franchise Tax Board contacted me to inform me that I owed them back tax payments based upon that fraudulent claim. And to finally top it off California Child Support Services wanted child support back payments.

The absolute worst part of the whole ordeal was the completely casual attitude on the part of everyone I had to deal with. These jokers are pissing away my tax money and their attitude was "these things happen". The only advice I have is to keep your eyes open and keep good records.

• Angry
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
yeah, person we were dealing with from Ashley Furniture told us that she had that other lady bring in her social security card and birth certificate and all that stuff. According to her that lady brought all her papers in, obviously fakes. But she said she had no way of proving they were fake so she couldnt do anything about it. So i guess ICE is going to pay them a visit. And it was pretty fucking obvious that her employee wasn't even legal she couldnt even speak a lick of english when we were all on speaker phone. Ashely Furniture even had to bring in a translator. now you tell me how a 29 year old US Citizen doesnt speak any english at all. 29 years old according to her birth certificate from COLORADO, and my wife was born in New Mexico. So shes using a copy of my wifes SS Card, and a birth certificate from Colorado. According to ICE it should be easy to prove. They said first 3 numbers of social indentify state of birth and stuff like that. i do wish i could see her face whenever ICE walks through the front door of that store. Wish i could speak to her again and ask her if she still wanted "those problems" she was talking about.

yeah, person we were dealing with from Ashley Furniture told us that she had that other lady bring in her social security card and birth certificate and all that stuff. According to her that lady brought all her papers in, obviously fakes. But she said she had no way of proving they were fake so she couldnt do anything about it. So i guess ICE is going to pay them a visit. And it was pretty fucking obvious that her employee wasn't even legal she couldnt even speak a lick of english when we were all on speaker phone. Ashely Furniture even had to bring in a translator. now you tell me how a 29 year old US Citizen doesnt speak any english at all. 29 years old according to her birth certificate from COLORADO, and my wife was born in New Mexico. So shes using a copy of my wifes SS Card, and a birth certificate from Colorado. According to ICE it should be easy to prove. They said first 3 numbers of social indentify state of birth and stuff like that. i do wish i could see her face whenever ICE walks through the front door of that store. Wish i could speak to her again and ask her if she still wanted "those problems" she was talking about.
If they pass E Verify and have the proper paperwork there's pretty much nothing the company can do. If they question the paperwork there's a lawyer waiting to sue for discrimination. My wife does HR and payroll for a local company. They have had several calls like yours. "Does Monica Silverstone work there?" Yes she does. "She's using stolen identity!!!" Okay, you need to call ICE and a couple other government agencies. Ohhh BTW, they really don't give a shit about your problems.
She's had a few of them quit and then show up a couple weeks later with new identity and apply for a job.

Most of the fake ss numbers correspond to a dead person in Puerto Rico and cost between $500 and $2000. The purchasers know going in that they will never receive any money from ss or health care from Medicare. The government is all too happy to collect millions of dollars they will never pay out.