• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Every Dark Cloud has a SILVER Lining! **PICTURES**

oneshot onekill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
DeBary, Florida
I've recently had to part with some pretty Great rifles due to financial woes and unexpected bills. I'm not at all wealthy and spending more than $1000 on a rifle is difficult for me. I was down to just my 5R when it comes to LR rifles. I also lost my Mother to Cancer a couple of weeks ago so I've been pretty depressed lately. She was what held our family together and she will be sorely missed! They say that "every dark cloud has a silver lining"... Here's mine...

While Mom was home with Hospice I came across one of those limited run M40 Vietnam Sniper Rifles up for auction on another site. Well, I've wanted one of those ever since I first saw them in, I think, 2006. I talked it over with my Wife and she said to go ahead and bid on it. I was sure I would be outbid. I wasn't! Now I've got one and I'm holding on with both hands!!! I also bought a one-piece Redfield Mount and some Redfield rings. Not the 4 screw version but close enough! I already had a Redfield Accu-range scope just sitting in a drawer. It's a 6-18x, not the 3-9x they came with. again, close enough!

I named her Patricia, after my Mom, and took her to the range Yesterday. She Loves Me! I shot a one-hole 3 shot group at 100yds. within the first 20 rounds with cheap ammo and several 1" groups at 200yds. with Lake City Match ammo!!! I'll be posting pictures as soon as I can but wanted to share my good fortune ASAP with a group of guys that will truly appreciate it! I have a couple questions I'll be posting soon so any help will be greatly appreciated... AS ALWAYS!

Thanks for reading,
John

Larger target is at 100yds... 3 shots at a dot I drew on the paper. Smaller target is at 200yds... 3 shots at another dot with winds gusting and swirling.
i5qd7a.jpg
zikl51.jpg
2i7s778.jpg

Re: Every Dark Cloud has a SILVER Lining!

Sorry for your lost man. Can't wait for you to post pics of your rifle.

Thanks guys! I posted a question about the barrel brush feeling rough or tight in a couple places and am still waiting for responses. No biggie. Here's my next question:

I've adjusted Remington triggers before so I'm pretty familiar with the process. I'm having trouble getting this one as light as I want it and still be "safe" as far as not dropping when you close the bolt... or creeping when you pull it. It appears to be a regular old style trigger. Any pearls of wisdom out there? I take full responsibility for any adjustments I make.

Sorry to hear about your mom, That make it hard to have a good outlook on the coming days. I'm glad you found something to help take your mind off it for a bit.

On a side note, I lived in Deland for two years back in 04/05 I miss that area, its nice and has the feel of a small town.

I am truly sorry about the loss of your mom! I am Happy you got the M40 in Honor of your mom.

On the tight brush, use one caliber smaller and wrap it with a patch. I have been avoiding brushes as much as possible, and only use them wrapped in a patch. Sorry for your loss.... Congrats on the rifle!! I'm going the Redfield route on my early smear M40A1 build. Using a 3x9 Accurange widefield with the tombstone reticle and have been pleasantly impressed with the FOV & clarity!

Truly sorry to hear of your loss. Congrats on the rifle tho. Those are sharp looking rifles
smile.gif

Sorry to here bout you passing of your mother. Good name for your new rig. I am sure your mother knew how much you loved to shoot and I am sure she would be honored.

Also sorry for your loss Oneshot. I like the idea of naming your new rifle after your Mom.

It's good to commemorate such momentous milestones. It helps ease the pain of the passing and helps one focus on that which lasts.

+1 on your part of our state as well. Was up there last month, in the Stetson area; (Hontoon Lake) beautiful country and nice people.

To absent loved ones and friends...

sorry for your loss, but outstanding on the rifle

Thank you all for your kind words! It means more than you know! Like I said, I'll be posting pics soon. Probably in a day or so.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to hear about your mom, That make it hard to have a good outlook on the coming days. I'm glad you found something to help take your mind off it for a bit.

On a side note, I lived in Deland for two years back in 04/05 I miss that area, its nice and has the feel of a small town.</div></div> I've been here since '92. Florida has been home since '78.

Nice shooting oneshot. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Its only fitting. A great Mother and a great Rifle can always lead you in the right direction. I'm sure your Mom will be with you at every visit to the range and she will still be whispering over your shoulder "Make sure you wear your ear plugs and glasses too". My sincere condolences for your loss and congrats on the gain.