• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns "Everyday/Everywhere" CCW question

Saito

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2008
1537 Paper St.
I carry pretty much everyday that I'm off of work. I also travel ALOT. In any given month, I'll put 5k miles on my truck. During my travels I inevitably have to take a dump in a public restroom. I carry a full size 1911 and, more often than not, there isn't anywhere to set my gun, while I, well, you know,... except the floor. I don't put my 1911 on the floor, instead, it goes in my skivvies. Seriously. I prefer to put it on the TP dispenser if that's an option. So, to all of you guys that purport to carry 24/7, what do you do in a "no place to put your gun" situation? Dead serious question.

Re: "Everyday/Everywhere" CCW question

Slide it down between ankle and pant leg barrel down or try to do the ol drop em just to the knees. I wear a crossbreed so I don't have to worry about it falling out. Just wanna make sure it can't be seen from under the stall.

I don't carry a full size pistol, instead a G19 or Sig 229. I leave it in the Galco IWB holster in a public restroom and just watch which stall I pick. At home it goes on the counter. Yes, I've done the in the skivvies trick too when necessary. Jacket weather it goes in the pocket.

I carry a 642 in my pants pocket. There is never a question what to do with it, its always there, no one knows, and there is no chance I'm going to leave it in a public restroom unless I leave my pants there also.

My rohrbaugh stays in my pocket

I think its a bad idea to lay it on the TP dispenser. WAY too likely to forget it there. Also, DON'T break the rule of safety that specifies the muzzle may not be pointing at something that ought not be destroyed (your ankle for example).

Honesly, sounds like you need a different gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wear a crossbreed so I don't have to worry about it falling out.</div></div>

+1

I set my Warthog on the tp dispenser once and I knocked it off getting tp. It made a terribly loud clank when it smacked the floor. If needed know I slide it in my shoe or ankle

Thanks for all of the, you-should-carry-something-else recommendations. That's not what I was looking for. I've carried these other sidearms:
Glocks- 19,22,23 & 29
Sigs- 229 & 226
Kahr- PM40
HK- USP, USP Tactical & HK45
Kimber- CDP & TRL

I prefer my full size Warrior. It can't/won't stay in the holster all day. I put it in a Serpa that sits in the cup holder when I'm driving. I do need to find a way to secure the Serpa to the console though, although it is nice to be able to put it away if necessary. It would be a literal pain in the back if I simply left it in my holster at all times.

I've got a pretty good system down for the scenario that I laid out in my original post. I was just wondering what the rest of you do in that situation. It is difficult to leave the weapon holstered, then buckle my belt and button my pants(I have at least 1 spare mag in my pants too, along with a pocket knife).

Op, you dont need a new gun, you need a GOOD iwb such as milt sparks vm2. I carry a sig220 carry, it stays in my vm2 whether I am taking a dumb, driving, dancing etc, I dont have to worry about it. Sometimes I do put it in my pants when Im on the toilet muzzle always back towards the toilet and down.

I carry a full size gun and if the holster/belt combo is stiff enough, it stays in the holster. If not, same solution you came up with. Don't like the baby changer/TP dispenser for grab/forget issues.

First thing that came to my mind.

Leave it in the holster. Keep a jacket, bag, shirt, anything in your truck. When you go to do your business take the jacket, bag, shirt, whatever with you and cover it up while you do your business.

I laughed when I read this. Just took care of business today in a Shell station in SC on the way back from Alabama. The 1911 sits very well in my crossbreed while on the throne.

My M-Tac holds whichever Sig I happen to be carrying just fine while doing the duece in public restrooms. I would advise against stowing your gun anywhere off-body. Air Marshal's leave guns in airport restrooms somehwere in the country at least once a month, by one FAM's own admission.

CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe holds my full size 1911 beautifully. i also have their belt which is nice and stiff so everything stays put.

Full size Sig P220R in a Blade Tech IWB.
The pistol is too heavy to stay put.
The skivvy trick or a coat pocket is all I've found that works.
I will use a sink counter top if in arms reach. I don't want to end up like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. LOL!

To a question for y'all that leave your piece in its holster either IWB or OWB:

How do you ensure the pistol can't be seen by someone that is deucing in the stall next to yours?

I generally carry either a S&W 442 in the pocket, or a Kahr PM9 in the pocket...so in both cases the piece remains well concealed.

Other times, I carry a Glock 20/21 in an Alessi shoulder rig, so this whole question just doesn't apply.

When I used to carry an XD40sc or Glock 30 either IWB or OWB, I never found a good method to handle this issue we're talking about. Either I had to set the pistol on the TP dispenser, which was horrible, or the pistol was flopping around on the waistband of the pants ankles, and not being kept concealed, or its muzzle properly controlled.

It's not the gun I carry into the bathroom with me that I woory about. It's the rifle anf gear I cannot carry into the bathroom with me when I'm going to/from a match. I hate that it's just laying there in the bed of the truck. It make me huury thru things that need not be rushed. I have had to stop twice (once and then at the next exit) cause of the rushing to complete the job at hand. I to have been know to lay my pistol on the tp dispensor or back of the john if it's a housde style toilet. Have also layed it in the sink of I can reach it. But it does stay in reach of the pot.

Those of you who use the TP dispenser, what do you do with it when you need TP? Also, I'm not sure how one can forget it on the dispenser when that's one of the last things you use...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of you who use the TP dispenser, what do you do with it when you need TP? Also, I'm not sure how one can forget it on the dispenser when that's one of the last things you use... </div></div>

I'm glad people are finding some humor in my post. When I say TP dispenser, I mean a flat housing over the roll, not setting it on the roll itself. One of the reasons I take it out of the holster is to keep it from sight under the stall and another is to have it readily available. Honestly, when are more vunerable? Your pants are literally around your ankles. Leaving it in the stall on accident isn't a concern of mine. If that happens, something is seriously wrong and I shouldn't be carrying. It is something I've witnessed before though when I was back in college and busting tires while I wasn't in class. One of the "real" cowboys left around came in and left his revolver on the floor next to the shitter; true story. I wonder if anyone has ever fumbled their weapon and had it end up in the john?(not that they'd admit it anyway) :) Great discussion guys, that's what I was looking for.

Obviously you need another gun, not because it's full size, but because it's a 1911 obviously
laugh.gif
on another note.... you wear skivies? What's up w/ that? Dead serious question...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously you need another gun, not because it's full size, but because it's a 1911 obviously
laugh.gif
on another note.... you wear skivies? What's up w/ that? Dead serious question... </div></div>

If I don't keep it up out of the way, I step on it occasionally. Hence the skivvies. Dead serious. I always think I need another gun...so I get one, and it's just not as carry-able, concealable or shoot-able as a 1911. 1911- there's no substitute.

This may be getting a bit personal, but...

Wear boxers, and just drape the boxers over the holstered sidearm as you let them down onto your feet/the ground. It's basically concealed from view, still safely holstered, and easily accessible should the end of the world transpire whilst sitting on the throne.

Problem solved, next problem please.

Uh aren't you carrying CONCEALED? This typically involves a concealing garment. That garment can be used to wrap said firearm in and put on the floor. If the pockets are big enough, you can hang it on a hook in a stall and put the 1911 in the pocket (granted you may have to hope it doesn't pull the hook down..jk...sort of). In the years I carried a 1911, I never had a single problem finding some way to address it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To a question for y'all that leave your piece in its holster either IWB or OWB:

How do you ensure the pistol can't be seen by someone that is deucing in the stall next to yours?

I generally carry either a S&W 442 in the pocket, or a Kahr PM9 in the pocket...so in both cases the piece remains well concealed. Other times, I carry a Glock 20/21 in an Alessi shoulder rig, so this whole question just doesn't apply.

When I used to carry an XD40sc or Glock 30 either IWB or OWB, I never found a good method to handle this issue we're talking about. Either I had to set the pistol on the TP dispenser, which was horrible, or the pistol was flopping around on the waistband of the pants ankles, and not being kept concealed, or its muzzle properly controlled. </div></div>

LOL! I was wondering if this topic would come back up. If I am in a stall that doesn't have partitions that go all the way down to the floor then I don't let my pants sit on my feet. I let the rest higher up my leg that way nothing can be seen. Above all, I try to avoid public bathrooms if I can.

+1 on avoiding public shitters....but sometimes you get caught short!

Your solution of simply not dropping trou all the way doesnt work for me (maybe others too) because I really prefer to have my legs further spread for this act, and also to properly clean myself afterwards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on avoiding public shitters....but sometimes you get caught short!

Your solution of simply not dropping trou all the way doesnt work for me (maybe others too) because I really prefer to have my legs further spread for this act, and also to properly clean myself afterwards.</div></div>

I can manage to pull it off, and I am quite fat..

Hold the pistol with your left hand & wipe with your right. Lefties reverse the process. Simple. lol!

At a public restroom I always just lay it in the sink, go in the stall and pick it up when I come back out. Sometimes it's wet, I just wipe it off and put it back in my holster.

Or you could keep duct tape with you and strap it to the wall or your arm while you go.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.
smile.gif

I stick it in my armpit pointing backwards to the wall.

In my CCW class, this very question got brought up believe it or not. The trainer of my class advised if the holster and/or handgun would be visible to anyone in the stall next to you, he advised removing it and putting it in your underwear/boxer shorts. Crazy, I know. This will keep it hidden from prying eyes and it'll prevent you from forgetting your firearm on the back of the toilet, on top of the toilet paper dispenser, etc, etc.

Keep it in the holster or one day you will forget it. Also, the most dangerous part of carrying is holstering, that is where many accidental discharges (I mean NEGLIGENT discharges for all the hall monitors here) happen. I use the crossbreed, but after the are good and broken in, the weapon can fall out of them, especially a heavy one like a 1911, so you could try a thumbreak design and pick a stall next to a wall where it cant be spotted, or even worse grabbed from the stall next to you.

My gun doesn't come out of the holster in any public place...too much risk; safest place for any gun is in the holster.

I generally go with the TP dispenser as well. I've never forgotten my piece or come close to it, although I do have a co-worker who once did. When there's just a TP roll hanging on the wall and no box around it, or if it has a round top, the whole holster/gun combo goes into my skivvies around my ankles and waits patiently for me to finish.

This might be the best thread ever, by the way.

Galco Miami Classic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wear a crossbreed so I don't have to worry about it falling out.</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

I use the crossbreed for my HK P2000, and I agree, no issues at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get one of these hook magnets and keep it stuck to your car keys until needed.

MagnetHook.JPG
</div></div>

That. Is. Awesome. Just what I was looking for. They need to make the hook so it folds in though.....sweet.

You can actually go here http://www.shotguncombogauge.com and get one with no hook, just a flat rubber coated magnet that will hold 25#.

You may not be able to take your keys off of it and it will erase your hard drive when you walk in the room....but your gun will be safely stuck to the wall of the crapper when you need it to be.

Your welcome
laugh.gif

Anything but a finger inside the trigger guard seems like a bad idea to me ever since I read an account of an AD inside a police station. As the author (a plain clothes officer at the time) described, he had been on a call that required him to pull his 1911 on a bad guy and sweep off the safety. He didn't have to shoot but in the excitement he forgot to engage the safety, and re-holstered the pistol.

At the police station he goes to the rest room and hangs his 1911 on the coat hanger on the back of the stall door. After his business is done he grasps the pistol, depressing the squeeze safety, and in a motion to lift the pistol up off the coat hook the hook contacts the trigger and the pistol discharges. Startled and fumbling with the now cycling pistol, he does it again. That visual is too real for me.

Another scary thought would be being so preoccupied with your day's plans that you leave the firearm behind in the public rest room. Talk about panic. For that reason I like to keep it on my person and well out of the way during such activities.

I've carried regularly (almost daily) for the last four years using one of those Deep Concealment Active Pro "bras". A full size 1911 would probably be a little heavy to be very comfortable in one, but it works really well for smaller frame autos or revolvers. It takes a little time to get used to it, but after a few weeks of daily wear you really don't notice that your wearing it... and nobody else does either.

- Fret

I prefer to simply keester stach in it my personal assistant's (my midget's) prison purse... seems to work well in crunch...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just wrap the barrel with TP and use it as a wiping wand </div></div>

Take your pants to a tailor and have them custom alter one of your pants pocket to accommodate the pistol for when you need to stuff it in there during calls of nature. A custom cut pattern much deeper for the 1911. For full or part time pocket carry, I don't know why people seem to think your stuck with the pockets your pants come with. grab some old jeans material and have a tailor custom alter a pocket for your specs from the heavier material. You'll print less and the pistol will fit way better. Or in this instance, a good secondary location for deuce dropping. I bet this wouldn't cost more than 20 bucks.

Am I the only one thats going to be slightly more nervious while on the throne in public places.........its not the way I've dreamt of going?

Kinda makes me question why there arn't more reported ass and angle injuries on the news?? :)

I dont think anyone has mentioned it but I always head for the handicapped stall, whether you leave it in your holster or take it out the handi stalls have far more room.

I carry an XD-9 in a Galco clip on Kydex holster, i just unclip it and slide it into my boot, clipping it on the boot. Problem solved.