• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Everyone Wanting to do Long Range Hunting?

elkkid3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Tonto Basin, AZ
I have noticed over the past few years that most people I hunt with or around want to make long range shots. When I say long range I am talking 800-1000 yards. The people don't shoot or practice. The only time they shoot is when they squeeze one off on a animal. It kind of makes me sick that people think they can just walk out the door and shoot a animal at 800 yards. It is mostly with the people that have a Weatherby or the like. Also the BEST scope in the WORLD is a Huskemaw. Everyone doesn't think the Huskimajigger is the best but most people do. It just makes me mad that we are going to have wounded animals running around because some twat waffle tried to make a 800 yard shot and got a leg. Has anyone else noticed this? How many people do you think are a good enough shot just natural that could make a 800 yard KILL shot on a deer? With the proper equipment.

Re: Everyone Wanting to do Long Range Hunting?

I've personally never met anyone in the field that wanted to shoot deer, or elk @ 1000 yds but I'm sure they are out there. From what I've seen of most "shooters" in the field, most animals will have nothing to fear. Most can't hit a 10" circle @ 100 yds from a bench with bags, & a lead sled.
That said, I agree with you that people should have the skills, & equipment to make any shot they are willing to attempt. Especially when shooting at animals. I also think that Best of the West should make a better attempt at showing people that they take several minutes to dope wind, etc. before their long shots. And I think everyone of them should rack the bolt, & wait on the animal for a while before jumping up, & down , & high 5ing everyone after the shot.
Or better yet, just stop production of the show entirely.

I so practice at long range, been shooting High Power and 1000 yard matches for over 30 years.

I learned how easy it would be to be off a couple mph of wind, meaning to me, thats its too easy, even for experienced long range shooters to muff a shot, leaving a gut shot critter, that could be miles away away by the time you got to where you engaged the critter and found the start of the blood trail.

I hunt, my ideal on long range hunting is about 200 yards. I believe we ow it to the critters we hunt to eliminate any chance of muffing a shot causing the animal to crawl off and suffer.

I guess I believe in hunting when it comes to critters, not long range shooting.

I feel the same way regarding shooting at running animals.

JMHO

I like to give my prey the same courtesy I would want from a predator. A quick, painless death. Anyone who doesn't feel the same shouldn't be hunting. IMHO.

two ways to go..........

.375CT or .408CT

after enough practice and solid data id feel confortable shooting a deer at 1000yds with one.

Just my opinion though.
-Felipe

EDIT:
Would prefer to stalk up and get closer if possible, but if I had the right rifle (caliber and accuracy wise) and good solid data I woudnt hesitate to take the shot.

Agree. I take my game no more than 300 yards. To get an idea of what 300 yards is,put a paper life sized target,then try to group an eight circle. That what I am going to use this hunting season,my T/C Pro Hunter with new .375 H and H barrel. With a Vasi brake ,max wind bucking blunt 300 grainers bullets.

It has become very in style, and therein lies the problem. Tv shows and publications are showing people what some are doing and evryone thinks that it can be done with "dads old deer gun" and this new Barska tactical scope I got for it. Its a shame that so many animals will be wasted, but I wonder really what can we do?

In truth, this same problem lies with every type of hunting. There are a lot of people out there who should not be using a bow at all let alone shooting out past 50yds with one at game. The same goes with rifle hunting. There are a lot of people who buy their ammo at garage sales and save the lighter bullets for long range or, they invest in some "spendy stuff" and save it for season without even firing a round to see where it hits. As for the long range, whatever the TV shows advertise, people will attempt. Hopefully, at least some, will quickly learn that it takes more than shooting sticks and a ballistic plex reticle. Regardless of what weapon or how far, a person has to be smart enough to practice and learn their limits in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has become very in style, and therein lies the problem. Tv shows and publications are showing people what some are doing and evryone thinks that it can be done with "dads old deer gun" and this new Barska tactical scope I got for it. Its a shame that so many animals will be wasted, <span style="font-weight: bold">but I wonder really what can we do?</span> </div></div>

What I do about this any more is just say "hey, that's a real douche bag move hunting like that." At least people will stop telling their assinine 900-yard-killed-an-antelope stories.

I am glad other people think the same way I do. In Arizona you end up hunting canyons a lot. Sometimes its 400-600 yards across the canyon. You cant close the distance without blowing the animal out of the country. I could understand that, if you shoot A LOT and have the confidence you could make the shot. But a 1000 Yard shot, seriously? I have been a hunter all my life, been on a lot of guided hunts (I was not the hunter, helping the guide). My dad was also a guide, he quit guiding last year. I can not think of any place you couldn't close the distance to at least 500-600 yards.

Most people that would take an 800 yard shot would have trouble getting the bullet to hit within 20 feet of the critter. Then there are those that know they can do it and are fully capable of hitting the x on a paper target at that distance who will come close. Maybe even close enough to wound the animal. Then there are those that won't take the shot 99% of the time until that 1% the planets align correctly the wind stops and the animal freezes and they take the shot and nail it. That is what makes it to TV and ends up making all those other people think they can do it too. They can't, but it is good for ammo makers and those that sell cannons.

I used to think that only the best shots ever made it to TV. Until I saw Best of the West. I watch it, & have seen several shots that were clearly bad shots make it on TV. They even make it easy to see their trace on TV, but a lot are not good hits. They still killed the critter, but I wonder how long it thrashed around off camera before expiring. Then there was the bear hunt, where they hit one, & jumped up, & down, & high fived, looked back, & the bear was gone. They eventually found it in a creek bed. I should stop watching the show. It aggravates me, & I'm supporting them inadvertently.

Range don't have jack to do with wounding game! If you don't know your rifle and ammo then you are going to do the same stupid stuff at 100yrds as you would do at 800 yrd, the only good thing is that the deer at 800yrd won't get touched but the deer at 100yrds will most likely get jacked up by some poser.

We guide in areas where sometimes it is impossible to close the distance on animals and clients must take 500 to 600 yard shots unless pulling off a 6 hour hike up a vertical cliff face...
With that being said most of these guys coming out are very confident in there shots and can pull them off. But you have the mother nature factor, too many times we are settled in for a shot shooting at an upward andgle and a small breeze comes in right when the trigger is squeezed. Well now that bullet is pushed off its mark by several inches at times and results in a wounded animal.

Seen that happen twice in my life and it made me sick. Rather have a hunter go home empty handed and know he had a chance rather than leaving a wounded animal wandering arround. Long range shooting is fun but I will stick with the range or prairie dogs.
JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntinaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But a 1000 Yard shot, seriously? I have been a hunter all my life, been on a lot of guided hunts (I was not the hunter, helping the guide). My dad was also a guide, he quit guiding last year. I can not think of any place you couldn't close the distance to at least 500-600 yards. </div></div>
If this was pointed at me, well, I like to keep my hunting within 300 yards, but if I had sold data, alot of practice at 1000yds and owned a cartridge that had the ballistics to take big game at 1000yds, why not, of course id try and stalk in closer, but if its a world class animal and I knew I could make the shot then why risk spooking the animal?
-Felipe

i would love to be competent enough in my wind reading to be able to make a 800-1000yd shot on game. but a man has got to know his limitations and mine is 500-550yds

I've got a half second rule on animals that I plan on eating. If it takes the bullet 1/2 a second or longer to get there I'm not sending it. There is no animal on the planet worth wounding IMHO. I couldn't care less about a world class ...XXXXX... simply because I hunt for the hunt, and the meat. Given the choice between an average buck with big horns or a big doe, the doe is going down.

Cheers,

Doc

If I know that I've got the shot, then I'll take it. But if I'm not steady enough, too far away, too windy, etc etc...I'll wait.

This situation does annoy me greatly, just as much as the guy walking into a gun store and buying a rifle, mounts and scope the day before deer season and thinking that boresighting the damn gun is good enough to hunt with. I expierenced quite a bit of this when working at the Dick's sporting goods in Frisco Tx, however when bore sighting their guns I made sure they would not be able to hit the ground with it. I would tell them that it might be good enough to get them on paper at 50 yards and that they needed to hit the range but if they would say they did not have time I made sure the animals could feed under the Texas feeders in complete safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Closer is always better!! </div></div>

That's why in England we call it <span style="font-style: italic">STALKING</span>, the skill is to stalk in close to the animal, then make certain of your shot. Always better to pass up on the shot and bag the next one if there is any doubt.

My mate Nick worked in Africa, controlling game. He was most impressed with the African trackers, who could stalk within touching distance.

Nick usually got to within 80yds and took every animal with 1 shot. Oh, and he used a .243Win, or a 6.5Swede. All plains game, all neck shot from inside 100yds. Usually sitting, or sometimes kneeling.

He has shot hundreds of African plains game, but NEVER brags about the long shots, he brags about how close he got to the animal.

Just makes more sense to me. We're embarrassed if we have to make a long shot, it meas that our stalking is not good enough!

Just my 0.02c

Neil

N

I see this trend as a gimmick to sell so called long range products.

A cold bore shot at 800 + yards with an animal on the line and a fundamental transformation of the country underway?
That's a bad combo IMO.

Waaay to much to go wrong over that distance.

There's a big difference between a novice finally walking a bullet to hit the mark at long range and hitting the vitals on the first shot from unpredictable positions/conditions.

Non-varmint animals deserve better.

Long range hunting is no different than any other hunting, both have there idiots. I have watched guys shoot elk under a hundred yards and still not connect well and blow legs up or gutt shoot them.

The Long range kills I've seen or been involved in have all been clean kills, the animal is totally unaware until they have taken a bullet through there vitals. We're dedicated to knowing our gear and taking shots that we know we can make cause we have made them before in practice during the year.
Anyone who shoots an animal without first preparing there gear and knowing it limit and your limit is a BOOB know matter the range!!

Why make exception for varmints, your killing an animal do it right no matter the target, how can someone wave the flag of ethics during big game season but then spray and pray, no range limits for varmints.
If your going to define an ethical shot by range and not by the shooter experience,his gear and the shooting conditions then you've opened the door for people to regulate by law, the range at which you can hunt and eventually that range will be ZERO.

I agree it is rediculous that "hunters" will go and buy a new rifle and scope and think it is ready to go, and that it's the rifle and not their skill level that makes the shot. i personally don't take hunting shots beyond 3oo, but then again where I've hunted(Oklahoma)I didn't have the need for longer shots. I also bow hunt and love the fact that you can get within stick throwing range of most critters if you CARE to do so. It just really boils down to "Hunter Ethics" which are learned and developed right along with your shooting skills and knowledge. Just my .02

Uh oh.
bigngreen. Sounds ominous.
Hope and change?

Sooo...what's your ethical range for a ground squirrel?
And are you saying I have to wait for a broadside or quartering away shot?
How about packing the meat out. Do you want me to do that too?

I hope you don't mind if I ignore you when it comes to varmints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh oh.
Hope and change?

</div></div>

Why get a bur under your saddle, isn't it the same argument that some are using against long range hunting game but applied to something that your not so worried about how you kill it.

Actually gopher meat sucks, tried it once and can't recommend it.
I personally just try to kill everything as good as I can, varmint or big game.
I wouldn't tell you how to kill anything, that would be what most are doing here to some one who can and will take long range killing shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigngreen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uh oh.
Hope and change?

</div></div>

Why get a bur under your saddle, isn't it the same argument that some are using against long range hunting game but applied to something that your not so worried about how you kill it.

Actually gopher meat sucks, tried it once and can't recommend it.
I personally just try to kill everything as good as I can, varmint or big game.
I wouldn't tell you how to kill anything, that would be what most are doing here to some one who can and will take long range killing shots.

</div></div>

+1 except for the gopher, that shit stinks.

Im dying to kill a deer at 500 this upcoming season but I also plan to spend a WHOLE lot of time on the scope this summer getting ready to take this shot. and I will be practicing from the exact same spot I will be taking the shot from so there is no deviation . The farthest kill I have is prolly 150 yds. I was dying to shoot a long shot last year but I had only shot far a few times and only doing hold over. I was so pumped to kill a deer at 400-500 with limited scope time because I had a "sniper rifle" now. Well the opportunity did arise and a doe came out at 400. I immediately realized that I was in NO way prepared enough to take that shot on that animal. That was a really great call on my part because Im sure I would have hit it but where at, who knows. And that was only 400. 800-1000 would be crazy. Even if I shot all the time, taking a shot like that at a wild free ranging animal would be a crapshoot and not sportsmanlike. As said before I would have to have shot that frequently to even think of attempting that.

I guess I'm missing the understanding of why it's alright for a varmint to suffer but it's not alright for a big game animal to suffer. Why does one deserve more respect than the other? I don't think anyone goes hunting with the intention of only wounding the animal they are shooting at whether it be a deer or a prairie dog. All of you who claim they don't think people should be shooting at game over 300 yards in my opinion are ridiculous. If you don't want to don't do it but don't classify someone as being a bad hunter when you don't know anything about them just because they take a longer shot then you do. I would bet that everyone who claims they don't take "long" shots has wounded an animal at some time in their life with one of their impossible-to-miss-nothing-can-go-wrong close range shots.

Just make the shot you're comfortable with and try to get a clean kill. This branding of strangers as being unethical and irresponsible hunters because they choose to hunt differently is idiotic. This topic has been discussed before on here and it was as stupid and complete waste of a thread then as it is now.

The way I look at it is only a very few LR hunters could possible take clean kills at 600 yards,from then each addition 100 yards ,the percentage drops dramatry,perhaps only 1 or2 percent can made a clean kill at a 1000 yards. Why do one thinks that when only thses LR hunters go ape bannas when they hit a 800 1000 kill. Because a LR shooter that makes 1000 yards hit every day would just Yawn and think,"Oh well ,how boring,another hit at a thousand". WE inform and police ourselfs or someone esle will.

I have seen some of the video used to advertise these long range products.
I can recall one in particular of a bull elk at 870 yards I think. The show host made the call "dump 'em" and the shooter fired the shot across a beautiful calm canyon. The majestic elk dropped at the shot and long range hunting looked great.
On reviewing the video however, you can see the shot caught the elk high and behind the vital area LUCKILY breaking it's spine which offered the desired effect of the elk dropping instantly at the far-off shot.
This is one of the most graphic videos supporting hunting shots of this length I have seen and has been shown many times validating this approach and it looks great until you really look at it. (kinda like reading the fine print)
If luck plays such an important part with the "experts" on a still morning, how much more with the dude down the block that doesn't have a clue?
Does anyone here think that elk is there for a crapshoot? (pun intended)
BTW, the little old lady that showed my to my doctors room last week commented, "boy, I sure would like one of those Christiansen arms rifles with a Huskemaw scope on it".
Entertaining as this was to hear, it was sad at the same time.

As far as varmints go, while I am against trying a shot at an elk at that range, I don't feel the same way about a rockchuck. I'll get over it if you disagree.

You guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I guarantee you that the vast majority of hunters out there can not tell 200 yards from 800 yards. I have seen it way too many times. There are far more animals wounded by the archery hunter who feels he can make a 50 yard shot rather than a regular hunter spraying lead at 800 yards. The so called 800 yard hunters can not even hit a deer target at a measured 400 yards--so there is no need to worry about game running around out there crippled because of hunters taking true 800 yard shots.

The Best of the West guys are just trying to sell a product. I do not like the way they do it. But that is all they are trying to do. Do you really think the typical hunter who buys their equipment really practices and shoots that far?? Get real. Don't take things so seriously.

Most animals crippled with firearms are hunters shooting too fast, or hunters shooting at moving animals. I would guess there are a few hundred animals crippled because of a bad shot at a moving animal versus one crippled animal due to a bad hit at 800 yards.

I would bet that for every one animal crippled because of a bad 800 yard shot there are probably 400 or 500 animals crippled due to short range shots. If you want to complain about someone being unethical then go after those guys that are crippling the 400 or 500. Not the guy who cripples the one. Tom.

Thanks for an amusing topic gents!

With all due respect to those of you who may have more experience...Have some of you never heard of sighter shots? Some of you guys act like an animal 1000 yards from the muzzle is going to spook if you shoot at a stump 50 yards from it...for real?!? LOL. Does a deer get all bent out of shape and run wildly every time someone shoots within a half-mile of it? Poor things live a rather stressful life, if that's the case! Maybe some of you aren't all that experienced at this hunting thing after all. Try it sometime...see if the deer even flinches. Oh wait...this is <span style="font-style: italic">Snipers</span> Hide. Silly me to be so uncool as to consider taking a pre-kill-attempt sighter shot.

My mentor and his group routinely kill deer and elk at over 1k. Last season they took 5 deer and one elk between the three of them...ranges from 965-1440...each one (except the shortest shot) was killed cleanly after taking a sighter shot. I've watched them shoot and know are capable of what they say they do.

I detest hunters that wound game due to carelessness, but it's entirely feasible to ethically take game at ranges beyond 1k. That being said...I doubt being shot and dying with a few minutes is even a painful experience. Have any of you ever been shot before? Love to hear what the experience was like. Did it "hurt" or was it just kind of a blind panic experience? You think you'd even be aware of the fact that it hurt? trauma overwhelms the system with so much adrenaline that the pain probably doesn't even register. Ever been punched hard enough to almost knock you out? You don't even think about it hurting at the moment. I'd love to be shot (preferably non-fatally) sometime just to prove my theory. Haha. I'm sure it could be arranged.

Oh, and if an animal Could "scream in pain"...I doubt they would; they'd likely just gasp like you did that time you stuck a knife through your arm. You guys that have shot other humans...did they scream when hit by non-instant kill shots? Somehow I doubt it.

But, cripples...not pain...is the issue here. Find out what you are capable at the range, shoot field positions, and then work within your limitations and don't allow the rest of the hunting community to tell you how far you can and cannot ethically shoot.

Just my not-so-humble opinion.
-The Kid.

Tell me how is cripple and pain not related? As far as deer and elk "sream" in in pain does not ,100 per cent of the world knows that. Far better to funnel this to a solution. Just be aware of what you doing. We come together and ,"Why can't we just get along"!! Ha...ha...

If you are not able to make a 800-1000yrd shot, then you shouldn't. But don't criticize those who can. And to the retards that try making shots that they aren't capable of making just to impress others. Please sell your rifle and buy a camera.

He meant on this topic, we are discussing wounding animals and killing them. Obviously a wounded animal feels pain, and a dead one feels none, the argument is whether or not long range hunting is ethical. As mentioned in many of the above comments, every shooter has his limits, some are farther than others. If we all just stick within our respectful limits, and do our best to make the best shot, I think we'll do fine. My hunting career is surely not as long as some, but I have managed to kill many Deer, Elk, and Antelope, some at ranges that some of you wouldn't recommend. But I have never wounded an animal that wasn't QUICKLY dispatched, and I've never lost one. Maybe I'm lucky, but I'll just keep doing my best, and help others to do the same. I have many hunting friends, and like also mentioned above, they couldn't tell 300 from 1000, I think that the more educated shooting public can/should help these types in a friendly respectfull manner, and thats all we can do.

Being able to take sighters would make a difference IMO. At least it isn't a cold bore shot with enough distance for swirling wind etc.

Try that in California and that deer will likely go nocturnal.
I have seen this done though on bison. I knocked one down at 300 and the others looked at it trying to figure out why it laid down just because there was a little thunder.

I totally agree with you on sighter shots, if and when they are necessary. Last year, I took a friend up Antelope hunting in WY, it was right on the tail end of a long night of thunder storms, we spotted a small herd at 500yds.he took a "sighter" and to our surprise, they didn't even flinch or look for us, he made the next one a hit, and then a quick second hit to put it down for good. The Antelope was down , but hadn't expired yet so just to be safe he put another in it. the four Antelope simply stood there during the whole ordeal, watching, confused. I realized then that they were so used to the thunder from the storm, they must have thought it was just more thunder in the distance. they didn't spook till we drove up with the truck, they had even bedded down with the dead one. That is one reason I like the long shot, you could probably get 4 or 5 shots off before they spook, if you needed to anyway.

"A man's gotta know his limitations"...

Just watched that complete & utter moron from Western Extreme TV show (Burnsworth?) shoot a deer with a .50 BMG. They were on an Indian reservation somwehere in the Dakotas, so anything goes. Those deer are soo DUMB there that guys can routinely stalk them within bow range, yet this dip'chit has to tote a cannon to make for good TV??

Not only does he carry a .50BMG, this boob actually moved BACK away from a deer so he could shoot it from further away.(That part, I have a real problem with). All the while masturbating a loaded round in front of the camera. Then HE MISSED!!!

After complaining that his scope must've been off, (even though he "zero'ed at 1,000 yds" in the previous segment), he proceeds to "re-zero" his windage. Far be it that he actually MISSED on his own account...

Anyhoo, "Capt. Dickweed" finally does shoot a scrubhorn muley at what they say was 906 yds. And goes right back to masturbating his 760 grain 'pseudo-penis'.

IDIOT.

I just wonder how many others he smooth missed or wounded in the taping of that show...

those deer on the res are not so dumb they are always on the run pretty much hunting season year round there. it was on standing rock in nd. But that guy is a dickweed cant stand watching that show. cant believe that would even make it on tv. With out a laser range finder alot of guys cant tell the differnece between 300yards or 700 me being one of them. I always look at some thing and guess what the range is and it is amazing how far off that i am. If i did not have my rangefinder with me i would not be able to shoot at anything over 200 would just be a guess at how far and i would rather not take that shot than chase a gut shot deer for a couple miles.

whatever.a person needs to shoot at long ranges alot,and i mean alot of practice to be capable to take game cleanly out to 1000yrds.if there gun and them is up to the task.a 50 for deer now thats just funny. i really love all the dumbshits that come to wyoming with there 338 lapua, 7mm supermag,newest greatest magnum uber rifle and they truley belive they need that much knockdown power for antelope,deer,elk.complete morons.we dont need any gun here to hunt just hit em with your pick-up.

Once again, I think that whatever each person needs to make his best shot possible is what he should use. If your best shot is with a .243, then shoot the .243, and to hell with the .338wm that everyone else says is needed for the shot. But if your best shot will be made with the .338, then use it. Skill is learned, as you said from lots of trigger time. Whatever gun you are the best with, should be the one you use when hunting, especially at long range. The animal you are after deserves the respect of your best effort. So I wouldn't dis on someone elses choice, it may be their best option.

This thread took a wrong turn. I have nothing against long range shooting. If you have the equipment and can do it thats your choice. I took my elk at 450 yards. Thats not what pisses me off. What does are the people that think, "we have are super magnum rifles with good scopes". All they have to do is go sight it in and its ready to go make a 800 yard shot. When the people have no idea how much just the elevation and weather conditions change the bullet flight at 800 yards. Anyway, I would take a long range shot on a animal. ONLY if I had all the data and could hit a vital sized plate at that distance 20 out of 20 shots (maybe more). Also if I new my rifle wasn't effected by cold bore. To check that I would, go out 20 days record my first shot and it would have to be a hit. My dope for the shots would have to be the same every day. If I was to take a long range shot at a animal it would have to be a come day etc, etc.

Familyantelope2009013.jpg

I shot this antelope buck last fall...He had been "roughed up" earlier in the season and was extremely spooky. He spent almost all of his time out on an open flat with very little topography. This day was clear, cool and only a slight wind coming out of the west at 3 to 4 miles per hour. I had crawled out to a good vantage point that overlooked the entire flat. He was bedded down out in the middle of it with a handfull of does and fawns. After taking several ranges on him with my Vector,(723 meters) I put in 4.1 mils of elevation and waited for him to stand up. Everything was perfect, shooting from a bipod with a rear bag rest, the parallax was set correctly. When he stood up and gave me a perfect broadside shot there was no question I would made a clean kill on him with one shot.

My self imposed rules when hunting big game is never take a shot unless you are 100% sure you will make the shot....Thats my opinion.

Think before you post.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread took a wrong turn..... What does are the people that think, "we have are super magnum rifles with good scopes"........... "When the people have no idea how much just the elevation and weather conditions change the bullet flight at 800 yards."</div></div>
No one is going to go out in the field after zeroing their rifle at a hundred and just "aim at the mountains" for a holdover at 800yds. No one posted anything along those lines in your thread, and your methods show that you dont have much experience with what you claim to know about:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took my elk at 450 yards.</div></div>
I dont doubt this, I know many people that can do take game at the range of 500yds+.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ONLY if I had all the data and could hit a vital sized plate at that distance 20 out of 20 shots (maybe more).</div></div>
Now here's where your shit gets iffy,
So since you took an Elk at 450yds, according to your post, that means that you can hit a vital area sized plate "20 out of 20 times(maybe more)" at that distance.
So I dont know what you consider the Vital area on a elk is but I would say a circle with a diameter of about 10 inches. once you expand that circle, chances of being a 1 hit kill go down.

Its possible to hit a 10 inch circle at 450yds, but id like to see proof of you doing this on a windy day (20 out of 20 times of course) (or more). Because when your hunting, its almost never going to be perfect conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To check that I would, go out 20 days record my first shot and it would have to be a hit. My dope for the shots would have to be the same every day.</div></div>

Since you are the gandhi of long range hunting, you should know that If the temp, wind conditions, altitude (all other factors....) are not exactly the same, this will not happen,
so according to your preaching's no one should ever take a long range shot at an animal.( because I doubt alot of people on here can hit a 10" plate 20 out of 20 times at 400, 500, 600+ yards.
Read a little more before you post please, out of your 490 odd posts, I doubt I have seen anything that really contributes to this site and ive held my tongue, but most of them appear to be more like :
"DUDE THATS AWESOME"
"TWAT TUESDAY, HELL YEAH BOII"
"YO, AWESOME RIG BRO"
Frankly Ive never seen anyone rank up posts like you do since OilyOwl.
Common kid, read a little more, post a little less, I know that im not much older then you but I actually try do my research before I post shit. this is the hide, not walmart where you can preach your crazy hunting stories to the guy behind the counter and expect him to believe it.
This is not an attack, think of it more along the lines of friendly advice.

As I stated before in your Long range hunting thread, my rule for hunting is try and get within 300 yards but if I have the data, rifle, caliber, optics and I know my rifle (ex. having practiced alot with that exact rifle) then I would not hesitate to take a "Long Range shot" at an animal.

MODS:
If anything is innapropriate in my post go head and delete it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I shot this antelope buck last fall...He had been "roughed up" earlier in the season and was extremely spooky. He spent almost all of his time out on an open flat with very little topography. This day was clear, cool and only a slight wind coming out of the west at 3 to 4 miles per hour. I had crawled out to a good vantage point that overlooked the entire flat. He was bedded down out in the middle of it with a handfull of does and fawns. After taking several ranges on him with my Vector,(723 meters) I put in 4.1 mils of elevation and waited for him to stand up. Everything was perfect, shooting from a bipod with a rear bag rest, the parallax was set correctly. When he stood up and gave me a perfect broadside shot there was no question I would made a clean kill on him with one shot.

My self imposed rules when hunting big game is never take a shot unless you are 100% sure you will make the shot....Thats my opinion. </div></div>

Nice antelope PGS, congrats.
-Felipe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

My self imposed rules when hunting big game is never take a shot unless you are 100% sure you will make the shot....Thats my opinion. </div></div>

Nice shot. Tom.