• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Excellent choice for survival knife would be??????

Re: Excellent choice for survival knife would be??????

SOG, COLDSTEEL, and SPYDERCO have all three proven themselves to me. Learn to sharpen your knife like you clean your weapon, for the same reasons.

I will not pay so much for a knife that would prevent me from taking it to use.

Emerson folder for everyday carry, Leatherman Skeletool CX Multitool, Busse Combat fixed blade for everything!, and a swiss army for the key ring... Different knives for different purposes.

k-bar 19.99

Randall model 17 "Astro" knife. Built for reaching the stars and has been taken into space.

Randall Astro

survival-astro.jpg

I like the Busse BATAC as a survival knife, but carry a leatherman as well for all the non blade functions.

Roger!

If you got the money you can't go wrong with anything in the Bussecombat line!!

I've got a Coldsteel CarbonV Bowie that i like.But when it comes to a do it all knife that i find reasons to beat on,i grab the Glock!
There not a chopper or heavy field knife but they will do it all.Maybe its because they don't break the bank[$40],but i can't hurt these knifes.
They hold and take an edge,the hardness is just right[in my opinon 56/58].There well wroth a look!

Bought my first Glock knife in 1991. Has been beat on, resharpened, field dressed dozens of deer, carried in a pickup during irrigation, cut plastic, rope, cardboard and still keeps going. I paid $19.99 and I think I have gotten my moneys worth.
Plus, if I lose it, I am not out anything.

In my opinon,the best fixed blade for the money[alot better then some that cost alot more] on the market today!

I was issued my first years ago,they said use it as a dive knife.11 years later its been used for a dive/utility/combat/hunt'n/crowbar/hammer,and everything else i could come up with and its still tick'n!
Gotta love the Glock!!

I know I'll catch some flack for this comment, but here it is: paying as much for a blade as a good handgun costs just does not make sense to me. Yeah, if you have a truck load of money, and want to impress your pals, go for the high dollar custom knife.

If you are a regular grunt or frog, you'll kick yourself in the ass if you lose your mega $$$ blade. Drop it over the side offshore, or lose it, or any other way you can be parted with it, and you'll buy a solid, decent priced tool to work with.

Kabar, Becker, Cold Steel all get my vote.....maybe not the most expensive blades, but good enough to do the job.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess my "survival knife" would be my Microtech Mini-SOCOM folder since it's on my person anytime I am out of the house (in civvies).

My "field knife" is a SOG SEAL 2K.

100_2127.jpg

I always carries either an Arkansas stone or a ceramic stone in the field. It's better to touch up the edge from time to time instead of waiting for it to get dull. I prefer a good stone to any of the sharpening "systems" for regular sharpening duties, however as Lindy mentioned you can use an appropriate rock in a pinch. </div></div>

I have a lot of knives from a lot of makers. This one that is always with me when I'm in a situation where it would come in handy. I have beat the crap out of that knife and it keeps on ticking. Now, it is fun just seeing how long it will hold up..

Emerson folder ( I have a commander)for all around use & tacticle carry for Sheriff duty and I just plain cut everything with it. Holds a fantastic edge and is easy to sharpen with a diamond rod. For an all out survival fixed blade, it's a toss up. I have a blackhawk mark V and an Extrema Ratio ( made in italy). They are both impressive. I have a Randall 27 and it's nice too but it's more for hunting and alittle handle heavy in the sheath....Good luck........SmokeRolls

Re: Excellent choice for survival knife would be??

I bought several of the gerber asek sets from the site listed on the last page that had a sale on them for 60 buks i think. Gonna have to try the busse route, have not been able to find one negative comment about them other than the price. Thanks folks

I just bought the Tom Brown Tracker 2 and its awesome. I really like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DWood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I like the Microtech Curahee; cheap and solid.

Also like my Randal #15; not so cheap but rock solid.

</div></div>

I am an old school guy, but I hauled my Randal #15 all over Africa and the ME, I opened 55 gallon drums with it, and broke a gerber in half with it. If you mess up the edge (chip bend ect) they will grind it out for you. I am also a firm believer in folding tools, my favorite (and hauled in my survival kit) was my SOG Tool Clip. Probably obsolete by now, but a good blade, pliers and wire cutters and a good saw.

I would recommend the Randall #18 with the compass and hollow handle for all of your survival goodies for your hip and a folding SOG tool to strap to your balls to make sure you always have it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know I'll catch some flack for this comment, but here it is: paying as much for a blade as a good handgun costs just does not make sense to me. Yeah, if you have a truck load of money, and want to impress your pals, go for the high dollar custom knife.

If you are a regular grunt or frog, you'll kick yourself in the ass if you lose your mega $$$ blade. Drop it over the side offshore, or lose it, or any other way you can be parted with it, and you'll buy a solid, decent priced tool to work with.

Kabar, Becker, Cold Steel all get my vote.....maybe not the most expensive blades, but good enough to do the job.

Jim </div></div>

RR,

You quoted me word for word when I left SFQC many moons ago and was bitching to my buddy about breaking and losing knives in the field. He was the one that enlightened me to Randalls. He went on to say if you buy a good knife, you will always know where it is. My SF Wife (ex) bought me one for Christmas (The Airman, Model 15) and every time I got up to move, I checked for that Randall like I did my Rolex, my .45 and my rifle. I kept that knife for the next 23 years. Buy the best and you will always be happy.

Fallkniven knives from Sweden are probably the most durable survival knives I've ever used. I use the A1 model. VG10 Laminated steel and a full tang with a tough grip. You can stick half of it into a tree and jump on the other half without breaking it. Tough cookie, runs about 200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tat,

No fire starter?</div></div>

Ahhh crap. I did not even notice that. Good eyes.

ok guys as for a survival knife where does the standard USMC K-BAR stand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and every time I got up to move, <span style="font-weight: bold">I checked for that Randall like I did my Rolex, my .45 and my rifle.</span></div></div>

THAT is old school right there. Good stuff.

Survival in the forest, the Top knive *and* my Gerber leatherman - it stays with me..
I carried a Buckmaster (184) in Alaska - GREAT knife to have if you don't mind the weight...

Survival in the concrete jungle, bottom knife, Cold steel Tanto with the 9" blade (Thanks CH50Driver!)

knives.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tat1987</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tat,

No fire starter?</div></div>

Ahhh crap. I did not even notice that. Good eyes. </div></div>

Look again, there's a magnifying glass..could be useful for more than frying ants.

http://greymanknives.com/

great working knives, purpose built. some are too big in my opinion, but others fit the bill great, use it as a shovel too if need be. Dinka and suenami and ground pounder work wonders.
Can't go wrong with Strider and the other high end dudes out there.
its all about function, not looks.

what about the old school Ka-Bar? Might not be the best knife you'll ever own but it will probably get the job done for a good price. My other choice would be a Cold Steel recon scout. My father recently got one and from my experiences with it, it is an excellent survival knife. It has a great rubber handle, and a well balanced and thick blade. Might not be long enough for some heavy duty batoning though. Just my $.02.

take your pick,
but one of these will do the job

Kirby Lambert tanto

019-2.jpg

CRKT Hissatsu

014-1.jpg

Mercworx Proeliator

053-1.jpg

Cold Steel Trail master San Mai III

0712.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grounds Keeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, be careful with Striders, the fixed bladed sort. Some are pretty brittle, not to mention overpriced. The dealer mark up on them is 200+% from what they buy them for.
I had one literally shatter into multiple pieces, which to me signals bad steel choices, & or heat treat issues.

The guys who make them are great to talk to, but they've WAY over stated their resume's & field experiences. To the point where said contentions wound up in court multiple times. With the folks at Strider backing down as they knew they were busted, & if they didn't back down & apoligize to the other party in the law suit, they'd wind up back in the grey bar hotel.

Don't get me wrong, they're decent knives, but I'd put a Cold Steel costing 1/3 the price up against them at the drop of a hat.

The owners/operators of said company have Very sketchy legal histories. IE a few felony convictions.
It's great that given their history, the makers were able to boot strap themselves up, & create a decent company in light of their past. But the over stating of claims of Black Ops missions, & the like leaves a foul taste in my mouth. </div></div>

I find that hard to believe and honestly think you're full of shit. I've owned Strider's and beat the hell out of them without an issue. If your blade supposedly "shattered" then you should have sent it back to Strider, they would have replaced it for free. Found these vids interesting (there's 8 of them):

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=strider+bt+destruction+test&search_type=

Secondly, It says a lot about you to run your mouth about something you obviously know nothing about.

kilgore
s/f
out

Edited to add:

SOG Seal is a pretty decent blade

SOGSeal.jpg

But my Commander is the shit when it comes to folders

Emerson.jpg

Like two of the guys above, I have a Glock field knife. I think they are the hands-down bang for the buck leader. Moreover, they're even balanced for throwing -- probably unique in this crowd.

I'm not saying there aren't better, I just don't see paying more for something that by definition should get the shit kicked out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grounds Keeper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, be careful with Striders, the fixed bladed sort. Some are pretty brittle, not to mention overpriced. The dealer mark up on them is 200+% from what they buy them for.
I had one literally shatter into multiple pieces, which to me signals bad steel choices, & or heat treat issues...</div></div>

Grounds Keeper, sounds like your blade got quenched, but not tempered. S30V (I think that's what Stryder uses) has to be drawn back at 500-600*F depending on the hardness your shooting for. Tempering is required of any steel that qets quenched. I'm sure they would have replaced it. As far as the cost, there's about $36 of steel wrapped up in a 12" knife. The rest is the work to turn said piece of steel into something useful and then markup. I won't comment on their prices because, well, I just won't.

While stainless blades have there attraction due to the fact that they are stainless, they don't make the most durable knife. I'm not saying they're no good, I'm just saying they're not the best. For what 95% (or more) of people use them for, they're fine. But when it come to true durability and edge holding ability, I'll put a custom blade from a knowledgable maker in 5160 up against anything mass produced 8 days a week. But it will rust, so that makes it unattractive to most.

JV

My Gerber LMF from the mid 90's has done quite well on every trip it's been on. I also have a , Benchmade Rift Osborne and just bought a Ka-Bar Fighter. All are excellent knives and together they all cost about the same as an overpriced Busse or Hide Fighter. Go figure. But then I buy my knives to use, not to show off.

Bought 3 of the gerber version of the asek. Like them alot but still trying to educate myself on busse and fehrman knives. I need a good sharpening system that can fit in a pack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tat,

No fire starter? </div></div>

LMAO!

I was going to say; tat go cut me down the largest tree you can find or dig me a fox hole lol.

Best survival knife is my kukri hands down.

Lw

I got a Fehrman peacemaker this year and all I've done is sharpen it to my liking so far. It takes a great edge and seems hell for stout but I haven't put it through its paces yet. From what I hear they are a darn good knife and the steel they use should work well (C30V if I remember correctly).

Joe

I like the SOG knives. I have a trident that is my everyday carry, since here in MI we can't carry a fixed blade. But I do have a Mini-Pentagon (SOG) that I will be keeping in my boot when I find a job.

The Ontario Knife Co. USMC issued bayonet can take a good amount of abuse I have found, and it was reasonably priced.

r7n6eg.jpg

It already has the Marine Corps emblem built into the handle, but I'll bet you can get SNIPER engraved on the blade as well for when you are stalking on the range.

NSN 1095 01 521 6087 $62.35

http://www.simonichknives.com/midtech.htm

This model
Raven Combat Specifications:

Blade - 7" .200 thick S30-V
Overall - 12 5/8"
Hardness - Heat and Cryo treated by Paul Bos to RC 59-60
Finish - Non Reflective Matte Finish
Handles - Green/Black Camo G-10 with Gunner Grip™ texturing
Weight - 13 oz without sheath. With Sheath 18 1/2 oz
Sheath - Blackhawk Airborne Deluxe Jump Qualified OD Green or Black
Standard model - $329

I have one for about eight years and ist my favorite fixed blade knife. The man who made it has died but I hear the quality is the same.

What a thread....

I thought the M7 was the only M16 bayonet until about a year ago. Then I found out about the OKC3S and had to have one. And then an OKC "M10" was added to the collection. Thought I was done....

WRONG!

Then this thread comes along. Since it's inception, a Woods fighter, Fallkniven A1, Reeves Shadow III and a couple LMFIIs have been added to the collection. I bought a half-dozen LMFIIs on that LAPG sale, but gave most away....

One of the LMFIIs went to my nephew on Christmas Eve, along with a copy of the Flight Fax ASEK feature article. I was hoping he'd bring it to Dad's on Christmas day (rural location), but I was the only one with a knife strapped to my thigh. My neice said it looked "scary" (get used to it...).

I wanted to demonstrate building a fire using only the knife and a mag/striker fire starter. Demonstrated whittling, chopping (using the lanyard), splitting/batoning, etc. no problem. Shaved off some magnesium, but the wind blew it all over the place. Couldn't get the LMFII spine to make a spark, so thought "strike it like flint", and that just broke the striker bars off the Magnesium (plural because it broke in half).... Then I used the sharp blade edge to demonstrate some sparks. That made sparks but took a toll on the edge. Used the sheath-sharpener to touch it up and carved the Christmas Ham like hot butter....

When I put the LMFII to the sharpening wheels, it was much easier to sharpen than the OKC3S or M10, so the blade steel is noticeably softer. The radii on the edges of the spine have been removed via sanding belt, so it'll make a spark, now.

I would expect any knife to be damaged by the ferrous sparking rod, so that didn't bother me. Within reason, and for what it's intended for, it fills the bill.

And I'm still not done, yet, I guess I need to order a Glock field knife and a "rough use knife" next time I order from CTD.

I like the size of the Shadow III and the pancake sheath, so that will be my EDC. Now, what do I put in that handle?...

On another note, and not to hijack the thread, but are you guys familiar with US knife laws ? Some places are downright knife UNfriendly....

Cheers,

Bill

Fehrman uses CPM 3V, not S30V. CPM #V is a powdered steel and is much stronger. You will like your Fehrman when you run it through its paces.

I got a Ka-Bar/Becker BK7 for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to get it outside yet but it looks like it would be good.

Love my Little Fehrman Peace Maker ...

Busse Combat is the one that I carry around along with a Chris Reeve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf&#8207;</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tat,

No fire starter? </div></div>

LMAO!

I was going to say; tat go cut me down the largest tree you can find or dig me a fox hole lol.

Best survival knife is my kukri hands down.

Lw </div></div>

I cannot tell what model of CS that is...
CS makes real Khukuris and Khukuri looking machetes.
Their real Khukuries are very expensive.
I usually get min Khukuries from asia, but you have to be careful because a lot of junk is exported.
This Aitihasik is a good one.
Aitihasik.jpg

It has cut it's way through it's share of limbs...
TreeChop01.JPG

TreeChop04.JPG

It is the second best chopper I have, only bettered by my Survival Golok XXL.
SGXXL.jpg

For a survival knife, have you considered one of the ones that Doug Ritter designed? (I am sorry, but I do not have any pictures of mine, but you can find them on the web by just doing a search for Doug Ritter knives.

Have you looked at the Bark River Northstar? It was designed as a survival knife and has a convex edge that you can keep sharp in the field with a piece of leather and some w/d sandpaper. It is the one on the left. The Becker on the right is nice too.
Yet_More_Knives.jpg

Have you considered a Mora knife? They are very cheap and they are great to learn with.
If you step up in price a bit, you can get a Mora2000 survival knife for under $40 last I checked.
Mora2000.jpg

For under $130 you can get a set of a Puuko and a Leuku in a combo-sheath... They have been used for centures by people in cold climates to survive.
PuukkoLeuku.jpg

Whatever you get, take it out and use it until you know all about it...
I would feel comfortable with any of those knives, but some of them I would know to be a little more careful with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Randall model 17 "Astro" knife. Built for reaching the stars and has been taken into space.

Randall Astro

survival-astro.jpg
</div></div>

... Or a Randall #18
2094wt5.jpg