• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

excellent portable shooting table I put together

kip.duff

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Costa Mesa CA
Needed something better than $34.95 Amazon picnic table to shoot off. Grabbed a few things I had laying around and came up with something easy and very stable. Far exceeded my expectations..

The sandbags are are Mathews 15 lb ones which are used to stabilize light stands in photo studios: pn 299550, $26 from Adorama in NYC and lots other places. Free delivery- at least when I ordered them 2 years ago. The sawhorse is available at Home Depot: pn TBC550, $30. The deck is ¾" Birch ply 40" X 24" with 8 X 17" notch - 60 degrees cut. Flip over for RH shooters. Used jigsaw with straight edge to guide. The sawhorses already have two holes at each end ideally located- #8 X ¾" wood screws with thick Teco steel 3/16" flat washers. Obviously, sawhorse is run diagonally: I balanced the deck before connecting- then marked outline underneath with pencil. Leaves floor space for the shooting stool legs.

One of the main reasons this table works so well is that these new style, inexpensive sawhorses are truly excellent- especially for the price. Can't believe how cheap they are for the quality. The typical stiff rubber sawhorses that I already had laying around were immediately VERY obsolete when I bought one of these. VERY rigid when deployed. And the sandbags really lock it down. Though, not actually sure I needed the sand bags- seemed to work real good without them as well.

Add carrying handle cutout, carpet, and edges to taste......
shooting table 1.jpg
shooting table 2.jpg
shooting table 3.jpg
shooting table 5.jpg
shooting table 6.jpg
shooting table 7.jpg
shooting table 8.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea, I like to take my dad with me to shoot sometimes he’s old enough that he can‘t shoot prone and many of the portable shooting benches are really unstable. For stealing your plan I’m going to add a like to your post! 🤣

Ha! I knew someone else had the same idea! I've been using a Toughbuilt C700 for a similar table for awhile now! The saw horses from Toughbuilt are amazing!

The only difference is that I use a table clamp for the top (instead of screws) to allow me to break it down for transport.

Reactions: kip.duff
Ha! I knew someone else had the same idea! I've been using a Toughbuilt C700 for a similar table for awhile now! The saw horses from Toughbuilt are amazing!

The only difference is that I use a table clamp for the top (instead of screws) to allow me to break it down for transport.

And I think yours has adjustable legs. Thought about that, but so far don't seem to need.

I like the clamp idea.

They really knocked it out of the park with those TB sawhorses. Can't believe $30- about same price as those lame, wombly cheapo rubber/plastic ones. The amazing rigidity of those saw horses is what makes this work.

Last edited:
great job, except its backwards. :p

Needed something better than $34.95 Amazon picnic table to shoot off. Grabbed a few things I had laying around and came up with something easy and very stable. Far exceeded my expectations..

The sandbags are are Mathews 15 lb ones which are used to stabilize light stands in photo studios: pn 299550, $26 from Adorama in NYC and lots other places. Free delivery- at least when I ordered them 2 years ago. The sawhorse is available at Home Depot: pn TBC550, $30. The deck is ¾" Birch ply 40" X 24" with 8 X 17" notch - 60 degrees cut. Flip over for RH shooters. Used jigsaw with straight edge to guide. The sawhorses already have two holes at each end ideally located- #8 X ¾" wood screws with thick Teco steel 3/16" flat washers. Obviously, sawhorse is run diagonally: I balanced the deck before connecting- then marked outline underneath with pencil. Leaves floor space for the shooting stool legs.

One of the main reasons this table works so well is that these new style, inexpensive sawhorses are truly excellent- especially for the price. Can't believe how cheap they are for the quality. The typical stiff rubber sawhorses that I already had laying around were immediately VERY obsolete when I bought one of these. VERY rigid when deployed. And the sandbags really lock it down. Though, not actually sure I needed the sand bags- seemed to work real good without them as well.

View attachment 7323408View attachment 7323409View attachment 7323410View attachment 7323412View attachment 7323413View attachment 7323414View attachment 7323421
Outstanding and way better (and less expensive) than a lot of portable tables I see being sold...well, at least offered.

I thought it was setup for a left hand shooter but the bolt is on the right side of the rifle.

Don't know why, but I shoot rifles LH- and pistols RH. All rifles I have owned have been RH actions- and ambidextrous stocks. Actually didn't realize I was shooting rifles backwards till several years ago. So yeah- table is set up for LH shooter. Will probably get a LH stock at some point from GRS. I see no reason the get a LH action at this point.

Reactions: theLBC
Genius. Thanks for the info, built the same thing last night.

Cannot believe you can buy a $30 folding sawhorse that sturdy.

Attachments

• Image from iOS.jpg
    Image from iOS.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 323
Reactions: kip.duff and TrevK

Do you have any pictures?

Can the table top be flipped over and installed for RH shooter ?

Sure, if you plan on doing this you probably wanna drill two sets of holes, so you have a good balance point for both sides.

Or use clamps so you don't have to bother with tools.

Well, what's one more quarantine project, right? I went with a 24"x48" piece of 3/4" birch from Home Depot. Spray painted it Hunter Green and put a coat of waterproofer on it (still wet). Might put some outdoor carpet on it later. Super simple and cost effective solution. Thanks @kip.duff !

trCvZ9o.jpg

Carpet is a good idea. We have some on some of our benches and they are more comfortable than the non carpeted ones for sure.

Kip.Duff,
Thanks for posting this idea. I picked up a TB C-650 today to start.
I think I am seeing some interesting target stand in the distance across the flats... (?)

Mk32784,
What kind of chassis system is that?

Great looking tables, I need to build one for my property. I notice most people build their tables with a cut out so the shooter is somewhat off to the side, similar to what you see on many public range tables. I always try to set up so I am directly behind the rifle and not off to the side. Anybody here build a table with this in mind?
Thanks

Reactions: carbonbased
that's pretty cool i did while looking around the internet see pics of people turning these into cool shooting tables with seats
1590408862548.png

with some ingenuity and a little sweat equity they looked rather neat .

Reactions: kip.duff
Kip.Duff,
Thanks for posting this idea. I picked up a TB C-650 today to start.
I think I am seeing some interesting target stand in the distance across the flats... (?)

Mk32784,
What kind of chassis system is that?
That's a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 Patrol .308W, US import version with different stock than Euro versions. That picture shows a PST gen 1. Many claim McMillan made the stock- I'm not so sure. Sig stopped importing several years ago. The US version was offered for less $ than the Euro version- and the domestic no-name stock helped in that price reduction. I'm looking for a Euro style stock, like wooden STR 200 type- STR 200 and SSG 3000 interchangeable stocks and barrels.

The target stand kit I bought many years ago at a gun show here in Costa Mesa. I lost the original pipes, so am using ¾" EMT from HD, 4 legs and one cross piece, all pipes cut to 5'. I'll post a picture to this thread soon. Has little triangle pieces at ends cut from ¼" steel plate, and legs tilt out- no screws. It's good because can place on varied terrain, and legs stand however they need to. I think some similar kits out there on line.

Good evening Bord. Go to a music store, preferably one that also sells used stuff. I bought a drummers stool. Very sturdy, made with S/S legs and with adjustable height. The seat was too thick so I took it apart and cut about a 2 in. layer with a long knife. You might not need to do that. I payed 18 bucks for it and I've been having this stool since 1994. Pretty good mileage and still looks good. Watch out for rust or corrosion. Stay safe. If you get one let us know.

Roy Allain

Good evening Bord. Go to a music store, preferably one that also sells used stuff. I bought a drummers stool. Very sturdy, made with S/S legs and with adjustable height. The seat was too thick so I took it apart and cut about a 2 in. layer with a long knife. You might not need to do that. I payed 18 bucks for it and I've been having this stool since 1994. Pretty good mileage and still looks good. Watch out for rust or corrosion. Stay safe. If you get one let us know.

Roy Allain

That makes sense, I will go check a used music store out. Thanks!

thanks for posting. Last two benches I made for our private land were stolen. I like the portability.

I made this a month ago. That is my biggest concern. Need to build an elevated platform so I'm thinking I'm going to bolt it down. Has the holes in it from the feet to do that anyways. Make it harder to steal. Most thieves are lazy shit heads anyways.

20200411_151706.jpg

After some deck stain. It's a two person job to actually move it anywhere substantial. I wanted something big enough to not feel cramped.
20200414_132534.jpg

I went to home Depot to pick up one of these saw horses. There was 9 listed in stock. When I got there none were on the shelf and there was a line of guys to get them. We ended up having to to get a dude to take more out of storage ( Way up top) and I ended up walking out with three of them. 1 for a Table and 2 just to have. I agree with the OP, these things are pretty cool esp for the money.

Reactions: Hammer0419
What are you guys using for a chair with the bench?
I just purchased theGibraltar 6608 Heavy Drum Throne. I'm 260 and it's Incredibly comfortable and rock solid.

We are in the beginning of a 46hr blizzard. But still stopping at HD for one of these saw horses. TY for sharing.

Last edited:
Love the simplicity of your design. Just finished one of my own. Legs are a bit more expensive ($85) but rock solid. Was able to build a 5ft right hand and a 4 ft ambi from one 4x8 and a LH and ambi for my buddy with another 4x8

20210130_145743 (1).jpg

20210120_201346 (1).jpg

20210124_162205 (1).jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 7323408View attachment 7323409View attachment 7323410View attachment 7323412View attachment 7323413View attachment 7323414View attachment 7323421
Question on table wobble. Those sand bags wow did a light switch go off for me. I'm assuming since you have a table you've been on concrete table before how nice are those no wobble. My table is so comfy, but darn if I can't get the wobble out. Wondering if some kind of weighting down might fix that? Thanks for your thoughts....this is the design I'm using at present.

7eenoFk.jpg

Reactions: acudaowner
Got the legs from EBCO. I used the SQ30OL and a set of SQ18OL. I was building 2 tables so that gave me the ability to have them overlap and lay down nicely by using the overlap one from each set opposite the non overlap. I liked having the narrower legs in the back which made it so the legs were not in the way of the chair.

Reactions: Drbobinmo
Kip.duff and others, --- I am looking at your shooting bench made with the Toughbilt sawhorse. The part that I am struggling with is the diagonal placement of the table top on the sawhorse. When I was considering a similar build last summer, I never thought of placing it on a diagonal. Rather, it seemed to be that placing it square would support more front to back and perhaps some 2x4 pieces could be placed cross wise to the table top that would allow them to be locked into the adjustable support arms at the end of the TB Sawhorse. Of course all of that would be unnecessary if the table top is solid side to side, front to back with your design. Now that you have been shooting on this for over a year, have you made any adjustments or modifications that would improve on your original design/ Burt

Kip.duff and others, --- I am looking at your shooting bench made with the Toughbilt sawhorse. The part that I am struggling with is the diagonal placement of the table top on the sawhorse. When I was considering a similar build last summer, I never thought of placing it on a diagonal. Rather, it seemed to be that placing it square would support more front to back and perhaps some 2x4 pieces could be placed cross wise to the table top that would allow them to be locked into the adjustable support arms at the end of the TB Sawhorse. Of course all of that would be unnecessary if the table top is solid side to side, front to back with your design. Now that you have been shooting on this for over a year, have you made any adjustments or modifications that would improve on your original design/ Burt
Also interested in this response