• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Exciting scopes coming from Bushnell the ERS & XRS Gen II

Will the scope caps for the gen 1 work with the DMR/XRS II or did their diameter change?
I have a gen1 HDMR and just got a xrs2. I haven't tried as I was just going to buy new caps but it looks like the ocular diameter is slightly larger on the xrs2. It may have been that way on a xrs1 but idk as never had one.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a XRS II, let alone any Bushnell product. They won't stand behind their word. They will not honor their 30% rebate even though I have the coupon from here

https://media.midwayusa.com/cms/rebate/2018_2/2018_bushnell_30_30days_promotion_mir.pdf

showing the scope is not excluded from the rebate. I contacted Bushnell, Vista Outdoors, etc and just got the run around. I will never buy another Bushnell product again after this.

Also, comparing the XRS II to a gen II razor is no comparison. The Razor has better FOV, glass, turrets, parallax and the reticle is thinner. It is better in every way for a PRS scope. The XRS parallax and mag is very stiff as well compared to the razor which throws you off target during a stage.

Having now spent more time with these scopes and got a few hundred rounds under both my .243 and 6.5x47 I'm more comfortable evaluating these optics. I purchased the H59 model and the G3 illuminated version.

Pros and cons as follows.

Pros
- Tracking is spot on with both scopes (tested to 900m and completed a tall target)
- Glass is excellent - I'm not qualified nor inclined to get into weeds regarding "glass", but I will say the image quality impressed me. The XRS II bettered my 4-16 ATACR in low light conditions (granted this is a 50mm objective vs 42mm but the difference was more pronounced than I was expecting)

- Excellent turrets. With 10 mil/Revolution the spacing is absolutely perfect and the half mil hashes on on the turret are a good addition. I'd like the clicks to be a touch more audible, but that is nitpicking. 34 Mils total elevation. With a 20 moa base/100m zero I have 21 mils of useable elevation - enough to take my .243/105 Hybrid load to a mile at my elevation.

- Zero stop works perfectly and is extremely simple to setup (much easier than my NF ATACR) - those familiar with the LRHS will recognise the zero stop design.
- Parallax is flexible and very easy to dial in.

- illumination (with the G3 reticle) is the best I've used (including compared to S&B, Premier, USO, March and Nightforce), the lowest intensity setting isn't too bright in low light and at the highest intensity the illumination is completely visible in broad daylight. The 'off' indents between intensity setting is my favourite design for illumination and it's very well executed in this scope.

- The scope is compact, probably the shortest scope (Along with the Vortex G2 Razor) in this magnification range (there is an included sunshade)
- The included (and removable) throw lever is a nice addition and does assist magnification changes

- The locking windage works perfectly, and has good turret feel for those who prefer to dial wind.
- The eyebox is very good (but see 'con' notes on eye relief below), I tested the scope extensively at 30x and eyebox was never an issue in prone position - from seated / kneeling I backed down to 15x-18x where I do most of my shooting.

- I appreciate both the H59 and G3 reticles for different reasons. The H59 would be my choice for a competition rifle and the G3 for a crossover hunting and comp gun. The G3 is a flexible design in that the reticle really is usable across the entire magnification range. For those partial to Horus (I tend not to be) the details on the H59 are great for wind/range holds and I'm a convert to the centre dot style of reticle. I'd love to see something of a hybrid of these designs from Bushnell i.e. A G3 with .2mil wind holds and a centre dot - that would be about perfect.

- A general comment on build quality and controls. They appear absolutely top tier, the 'built like a tank' cliche applies in spades.

Cons
- Glass isn't quite at the S&B or Premier level. This really is splitting hairs and if forced to assign a number I'd guess the Bushnell glass is 90-95% as good. I'm not sure I can perceive any real difference between the XRS II and NF ATACR glass.
- the magnification ring is a little stiff, nothing that bothers me but something to note, perhaps it will loosen a little over time. My 3-12 LRHS has the opposite problem and I much prefer extra stiffness to the 'sloppiness' in the LRHS

- Comes with cheap bikini scope covers (also includes a neoprene cover)
- Eye relief/Mounting length is my biggest gripe with this scope. I couldn't use my SPUHR mount on my Surgeon action and still be able to mount my scope far enough forward. I switched to ARC rings and head position was still an issue. I was starting to think I might have to add an additional butt-spacer to increase LOP but I tried NF ultralight rings (which are among the thinnest available) and the issue is now resolved.

- Illumination is not offered with the H59 reticle
- There is a very minimal tunnelling effect at the lowest mag range (roughly from 4.5x - 5x), far less tunnelling than my 5-25 S&B exhibited. Interestingly the tunnelling is only observable in my scope with the G3 reticle, I can't induce it with the H59 scope. Regardless it's so slight as to be almost imperceptible but I've listed it here since I do observe it.
- FOV appears to be slightly less than the competition

All said I'm extremely impressed with the XRS II, especially at the price point currently offered through deals here in Australia.

Last edited:
BallisticPrimate, you pretty much nailed it on the head in my opinion on pros and cons. Also have to thank you for really breaking down the features in pros and cons and picking up my slack in giving feedback. I have two with the G3 reticle and for the price and quality the these are really top notch choice for any shooter of any skill level.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
BallisticPrimate, you pretty much nailed it on the head in my opinion on pros and cons. Also have to thank you for really breaking down the features in pros and cons and picking up my slack in giving feedback. I have two with the G3 reticle and for the price and quality the these are really top notch choice for any shooter of any skill level.

Cheers Zach. I purchased the first scope mainly based on the screaming deals being offered here in Oz and it was a bit of a gamble (though I've had a couple of the LRHS and they are excellent) - I figured I could always move it on and recoup funds if it wasn't up to scratch - so it's been a very pleasant surprise learning just how good these optics are, within a week of owning the first scope I'd placed an order for a second. I think if they offered something like Minox's MR4 reticle, or a Kahles' SKMR 3 (or illumination in the H59) I'd find it very difficult to purchase anything else - the XRS II is that good

Got my XRS II mounted on my AT yesterday. Haven't gotten to the range yet, but so far so good. I found the comment about eye relief being a little longer to be true. I had to add a spacer (about a 1/4 inch) to maintain the position of my SPUHR mount that my gen II Razor was in.

Got my XRS II mounted on my AT yesterday. Haven't gotten to the range yet, but so far so good. I found the comment about eye relief being a little longer to be true. I had to add a spacer (about a 1/4 inch) to maintain the position of my SPUHR mount that my gen II Razor was in.

So I spoke too soon. After spending more time behind the rifle, I've realized my XRS II still not mounted far enough forward. I've maxed out my LOP on my AIAT, so I think this means I have to ditch the SPUHR since its as far forward as it can mount, which is a little disappointing. I guess its an opportunity to try some ARC M10 rings, which are a lot thinner than the SPUHR. All that is to say, the XRS II has a long eye relief and you will likely need to mount it farther forward than you think.

So I spoke too soon. After spending more time behind the rifle, I've realized my XRS II still not mounted far enough forward. I've maxed out my LOP on my AIAT, so I think this means I have to ditch the SPUHR since its as far forward as it can mount, which is a little disappointing. I guess its an opportunity to try some ARC M10 rings, which are a lot thinner than the SPUHR. All that is to say, the XRS II has a long eye relief and you will likely need to mount it farther forward than you think.

This mirrors my experience exactly. I believe the problem arrises from long eye relief and the compact design reducing mounting options. Initially I made the mistake of assuming the problem was a poor eyebox - but after changing rings and managing to mount the scope further forward It's clear the eyebox is pretty good.

Yup i saw Sams initial impression last night. Interestingly he noted it was the best glass he’s ever used. Take into account he uses ATACRs on two of his rifles. The XRS II must’ve shaped out well.

Bushnell has been teasing either binoculars or a new hunting optic that i believe will have ED glass. Still waiting on the DMR II pro also.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Bushnell-35-21x50-E-DMR-Black-ED-Prime-G3-Box-Riflescope-ET732150ED.aspx

New Elite DMR maybe a name change from the DMR II pro. Seems the pricing is leaked. $1715. That seems to be pretty fair with the ED prime glass.

That sounds to good to be true, thanks 5RWill yet I’m content with my XRS II.

Went to a local skills builder PRS match, basically a learning class but still with time limits ranging from 60-120 seconds. The whole shooting never did it feel liie I was straining to see the target. Very impressed with the quality of the XRS II. By far the best scope I’ve used and I think it’s every bit of worth the asking price. Never had fatigue sitting behind the scope looking for the target or even measuring target like I had with my DMR or LRTSi. The quality is there and the price is well worth, but I was fortunate enough to find this scope for cheap at $1500 like new or slightly used condition. Couldn’t pass it up. If you’re on the fence take the plunge, won’t be disappointed. This is my first season shooting PRS style matches.

Attachments

• A688B8FF-8959-4BAD-998A-2BDCC07CCD4F.jpeg
    A688B8FF-8959-4BAD-998A-2BDCC07CCD4F.jpeg
    856.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 84F68FCC-FAC3-4D69-AA74-DDF5D6459954.jpeg
    84F68FCC-FAC3-4D69-AA74-DDF5D6459954.jpeg
    694.1 KB · Views: 71
https://www.eurooptic.com/Bushnell-35-21x50-E-DMR-Black-ED-Prime-G3-Box-Riflescope-ET732150ED.aspx

Thanks for the heads up Will - the new DMR will be excellent if the XRS II is a guide. Placed second in a match yesterday running the XRS II - was a short range event from 300-500m but the XRS was flawless throughout . Next Match out to 900m so I'm going to get a chance to really ring it out over the next few months.

Reactions: 5RWill
Reactions: Nathan11B
Having now spent more time with these scopes and got a few hundred rounds under both my .243 and 6.5x47 I'm more comfortable evaluating these optics. I purchased the H59 model and the G3 illuminated version.

Pros and cons as follows.

Pros
- Tracking is spot on with both scopes (tested to 900m and completed a tall target)
- Glass is excellent - I'm not qualified nor inclined to get into weeds regarding "glass", but I will say the image quality impressed me. The XRS II bettered my 4-16 ATACR in low light conditions (granted this is a 50mm objective vs 42mm but the difference was more pronounced than I was expecting)

- Excellent turrets. With 10 mil/Revolution the spacing is absolutely perfect and the half mil hashes on on the turret are a good addition. I'd like the clicks to be a touch more audible, but that is nitpicking. 34 Mils total elevation. With a 20 moa base/100m zero I have 21 mils of useable elevation - enough to take my .243/105 Hybrid load to a mile at my elevation.

- Zero stop works perfectly and is extremely simple to setup (much easier than my NF ATACR) - those familiar with the LRHS will recognise the zero stop design.
- Parallax is flexible and very easy to dial in.

- illumination (with the G3 reticle) is the best I've used (including compared to S&B, Premier, USO, March and Nightforce), the lowest intensity setting isn't too bright in low light and at the highest intensity the illumination is completely visible in broad daylight. The 'off' indents between intensity setting is my favourite design for illumination and it's very well executed in this scope.

- The scope is compact, probably the shortest scope (Along with the Vortex G2 Razor) in this magnification range (there is an included sunshade)
- The included (and removable) throw lever is a nice addition and does assist magnification changes

- The locking windage works perfectly, and has good turret feel for those who prefer to dial wind.
- The eyebox is very good (but see 'con' notes on eye relief below), I tested the scope extensively at 30x and eyebox was never an issue in prone position - from seated / kneeling I backed down to 15x-18x where I do most of my shooting.

- I appreciate both the H59 and G3 reticles for different reasons. The H59 would be my choice for a competition rifle and the G3 for a crossover hunting and comp gun. The G3 is a flexible design in that the reticle really is usable across the entire magnification range. For those partial to Horus (I tend not to be) the details on the H59 are great for wind/range holds and I'm a convert to the centre dot style of reticle. I'd love to see something of a hybrid of these designs from Bushnell i.e. A G3 with .2mil wind holds and a centre dot - that would be about perfect.

- A general comment on build quality and controls. They appear absolutely top tier, the 'built like a tank' cliche applies in spades.

Cons
- Glass isn't quite at the S&B or Premier level. This really is splitting hairs and if forced to assign a number I'd guess the Bushnell glass is 90-95% as good. I'm not sure I can perceive any real difference between the XRS II and NF ATACR glass.
- the magnification ring is a little stiff, nothing that bothers me but something to note, perhaps it will loosen a little over time. My 3-12 LRHS has the opposite problem and I much prefer extra stiffness to the 'sloppiness' in the LRHS

- Comes with cheap bikini scope covers (also includes a neoprene cover)
- Eye relief/Mounting length is my biggest gripe with this scope. I couldn't use my SPUHR mount on my Surgeon action and still be able to mount my scope far enough forward. I switched to ARC rings and head position was still an issue. I was starting to think I might have to add an additional butt-spacer to increase LOP but I tried NF ultralight rings (which are among the thinnest available) and the issue is now resolved.

- Illumination is not offered with the H59 reticle
- There is a very minimal tunnelling effect at the lowest mag range (roughly from 4.5x - 5x), far less tunnelling than my 5-25 S&B exhibited. Interestingly the tunnelling is only observable in my scope with the G3 reticle, I can't induce it with the H59 scope. Regardless it's so slight as to be almost imperceptible but I've listed it here since I do observe it.
- FOV appears to be slightly less than the competition

All said I'm extremely impressed with the XRS II, especially at the price point currently offered through deals here in Australia.

Thanks for the great write up, i picked up a non illuminated XRSII w/g3 and love it. Its intetesting that you have observable tunneling with your illuminated G3 reticle and not your H-59.

I cant perceive any tunneling whatsoever with the non illuminayed version. Now my DMRII with the same reticle has bretty major tunneling below 4.5 power.

One question about the illuminated G3 on the XRSII. My LRSTi has an illuminated G3 and its a little thick at the cross hair for my preference and i get some illumination "bleed" into the numbers. I have even recomended a close friend avoid the illuminated g3 on a potential XRS II purchase because of this. It sounds like this is not a problem with yours, but could you confirm for me?

Reactions: Nathan11B