• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EXPENSIVE SCOPES!!!!!

Re: EXPENSIVE SCOPES!!!!!

Whatever the price, it isn't the scope making the shot.

1 person tell me there is a need for a 3k+ that a 1k scope won't do

I've seen from S&B/USO on down... I admire the quality but you don't have to have it to put bullets on target

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nad1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever the price, it isn't the scope making the shot.

I've seen from S&B/USO on down... I admire the quality but you don't have to have it to put bullets on target </div></div>

That is until you have one, then there is no going back!!

i have a mark 4 and a uso. both great scopes. a ffp scope does have it's advantages, but it's not the end of the world if you don't have one. i've seen 10k setups come near last place in competitions, so remember one thing. it's the indian, not the bow. BUT having a real nice bow sure does have it's advantages.

Simply stated, outshoot the guys with the high dollar setups and make them look stupid. They have more to loose than you do, especially if they claim to be a super marksman.

A weekend warrior, does not need a super high quality scope. Most people have one because they WANT one, not NEED one. Shoot with what you can afford, and spend the rest of your money on reloading components and shoot the hell our of your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pistolpete75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Simply stated, outshoot the guys with the high dollar setups and make them look stupid. They have more to loose than you do, especially if they claim to be a super marksman.

A weekend warrior, does not need a super high quality scope. Most people have one because they WANT one, not NEED one. Shoot with what you can afford, and spend the rest of your money on reloading components and shoot the hell our of your rifle. </div></div>

+1000

Law of Diminishing Returns...

"each additional unit of variable input yields less and less additional output "

In our case, the input is dollars and the output is performance in all aspects and situations you guys have discussed.

I think it's safe to say that after the Mark 4's, even though you pay a lot more for the USO or the Schmidt & Bender, you're paying a lot more for a bit more. I think this discussion applies to almost anything out there, whether it be power tools or cars, or whatever your item of choice may be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nad1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever the price, it isn't the scope making the shot.

I've seen from S&B/USO on down... I admire the quality but you don't have to have it to put bullets on target </div></div>

I'm not saying a USO or even an IOR (or even a Mk4) is NECESSARY. Hell most people on this board could probably get hits and out shoot me with iron sites. That's not the point. The question was asked how the IOR stacked up quantitatively. In my opinion:

Is the glass better? Quantitatively: About same as USO.
Are the available features better? Quantitatively: Better than Leupy, less than USO.
Is it more durable? Quantitatively: YES for leupy, no for USO.
Is it worth the difference in price? Qualitatively: YES, it is for me.

You CAN get from point A to point B with a shitty ass minivan (I own one, calm down) but lots of people prefer to drive a Porsche instead. Is the Porsche absolutely necessary? No. Is it the most cost effective? No. You can get from point A to point B in the minivan, the outcome is the same. However some people find it is worth it to pay for the Porsche in order to adapt HOW they get from A->B, the enjoyment they get in getting from A->B, the speed with which they get from A->B, and the resale value they maintain with their equipment.

The person who claims he needs a Porsche to get from A->B is no more foolish than the person who claims there's no reason or justification for someone to use anything more than a minivan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nad1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever the price, it isn't the scope making the shot.

I'm not saying a USO or even an IOR (or even a Mk4) is NECESSARY. Hell most people on this board could probably get hits and out shoot me with iron sites. That's not the point. The question was asked how the IOR stacked up quantitatively. In my opinion:

Is the glass better? Quantitatively: About same as USO.
Are the available features better? Quantitatively: Better than Leupy, less than USO.
Is it more durable? Quantitatively: YES for leupy, no for USO.
Is it worth the difference in price? Qualitatively: YES, it is for me.

You CAN get from point A to point B with a shitty ass minivan (I own one, calm down) but lots of people prefer to drive a Porsche instead. Is the Porsche absolutely necessary? No. Is it the most cost effective? No. You can get from point A to point B in the minivan, the outcome is the same. However some people find it is worth it to pay for the Porsche in order to adapt HOW they get from A->B, the enjoyment they get in getting from A->B, the speed with which they get from A->B, and the resale value they maintain with their equipment.

The person who claims he needs a Porsche to get from A->B is no more foolish than the person who claims there's no reason or justification for someone to use anything more than a minivan.

</div></div>

Well said.

And may I add that the minivan will NEVER be able to do the things that the porsche can do as efficiently like go from point A to B quickly... and THAT is the difference some people pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it more durable? Quantitatively: YES for leupy, no for USO.
</div></div>

Wow, that's a good one.

If cost is an issue and the difference in cost will affect you then there should be no question, get what you can comfortably afford. I know myself, and when I do things I would rather do it right once, for me I will end up with the USO or S&B anyway, so its cheaper to get it before I do the stepping stone route.

I can easily relate it to car restoration... to get a 90 -93 pt car is $X.. now if you want to get to 99-100 its 2-3 times $X. Quality in components and labor is really expensive no matter what your talking about.

Merlinn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

True, but comparing a porsche and a mini van is more like comparing a $10 tasco to a USO. More realistically comparing a mustang to a porsche would be like comparing a leupold to a USO or equiv. Just for the sake of agreeing to disagree, take someone that really knows how to drive and give them the keys to a mustang and give someone who kinda knows how to drive a porsche and the mustang is going to run laps around the porsche. Same with the scopes. Save money on the scope and spend it on bullets and practice. Once you get good enough to actually use the 3g scope to it's fullest capabilities then you will know for yourself if it is worth it or not and won't need to ask. Yeah yeah I know, getting the best of everything will make you more accurate, but it really isn't realistic, otherwise we would all have the best of everything.

On another note, having been around very expensive automobiles for most of my life I would often say that "Some guys think their driving skill is commensurate with the thickness of their wallets" Lots of the rich guys could drive for cr.p. But with proper training, some of them turned out pretty good.. having good equipment gave them the desire to use it for it was designed. For me good high quality equipment drives me to work to extract all I can out of it. So sometimes how something make you feel, if that giving you the confidence that it is working correctly etc. can really make a difference in the outcome.
My $.02 FWIW

Merlinn

This is just justification for not having or not wanting to spend the money. There is no shame in either, but if you had the money which would you buy?

I am not a frugal person by nature. I have pissed away more money on Starbucks coffee than i ever have on scopes, but after tens of thousands of dollars on shooting related purchases over the last ten years, I don't regret a penny of it. This is a hobby for me, financially it's all a waste. Who cares?

I have the money and the choice but I just don't think it is worth it. I am, I admit biased towards Leupolds simply because they are what I have always used. I have never used a S&B/USO ect enough to say I have. Being able to compare them side by side might change my mind but it would have to be a BIG difference. That and I have never been outshot by someone with a S&B/USO ect and the people that have outshot me were using Leupolds

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nad1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 person tell me there is a need for a 3k+ that a 1k scope won't do</div></div>

A buddy of mine would put his $300 new mildot up against your $1k scope with the same question. Does that make you an idiot? In his book...YES! Of course I won't repeat what he calls me.
smile.gif

Iv been in this game a long time before it was the cool thing. Iv seen all kinds of stuff come an go I started with Leupold did good in a lot of matchs. Then came NF every one was saying these are the best scopes ever so I got one I used a while an sent it down the road .An put the Leupold back on then a few years went by an S&B came about an I won 2 of them an sent them down the road if they where that mutch better I would some of them any body that no"s me will tell you that I blow a lot of $$$ on hunting an shooting gear I dont buy junk any thing. .....................Here is a few Leupold placements ....1999 SnipersParadise 3rd...2001 Badlads 2nd...2001 Snipers Paradise 3rdInd 3rdplteam ...2001 1st annual LSSO 2nd...2002Tacpro 3gun 2nd....2002 T.P.A pigon shoot 1st... took off for a few years for new deer lease 2006..Badger Ordance 3rdInd 2ndpl team ....2007 Tiger valley 8-9-1k 3rd... 2007 Tigervalley sniper match 2nd ... 07Tigervalley beat the heat 3rd.. 9th annual LSSO 1st ... next day FTW 8-9-1k 2nd...Tigervalley sniper match 2nd...Southern California Precision Rifle Competition 1st hunting for a while first match of 08 SH Cup 2nd an no train up I didnt bother telling top 10 spots but I would guess 20 or more. Now theres my input ......Leupold plays the game very well!

FWIW, ALL of my rifles are topped with Leupold glass VXIII's and Mk4's. I had a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 and honestly didn't see the difference in it and a Leupold. I even use a Mk4 spotting scope - it works like a champ!. I'm able to see the contrails of other shooters bullets when spotting for them - you can do this with my 6.5-20 too. That's good enough for me especially for the price. I don't fast rope out of helicoptors or do any of that high-speed stuff, so I can't justify the expense. If I could, I would probably go S&B. Considering the fact that I picked up my last 3 Mk4's for a combined price less than a S&B PM scope, I will stick with the Leupolds.

Again, the difference shouldnt be compared by quality of the scopes image (ex. how clear or bright it looks as compared to ...). Thats not what you pay for. It is the trust in knowing that your scope can do everything you need it to do, when you want it to do it, with the most simplification... THAT is what youre paying for. If all that doesnt matter to you or your shooting, then stick with what works best for you. You'll be totally fine, there's nothing wrong with that. I started with Leupold and as I grew and wanted to learn more about reticle ranging and using the ret for hold overs etc, through the years, I kept wishing Leupold would come out with a scope that had the reticles of the S&B P4 in a FFP with cm clicks to match the ret. Now years later, forget it, Leupold has the TMR in FFP but its not the same as say an IOR MP8 or nightforce NPR2 ret. The problem with the IOR and NF is in the turrent adj. MIL Rets on MOA turrents dont make sense to me. The closest I've got to that scope configuration is the IOR SH 3-18 (MIL based ret/ MRAD clicks/ FFP). I am saving my money for a S&B 5-25 P4 that I will have one day.

To add, NF is or has turrents in cm... and this is good news. More options the better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is it more durable? Quantitatively: YES for leupy, no for USO.
</div></div>

Wow, that's a good one. </div></div>

In case I wasn't clear, I meant:

" Is the IOR more durable? YES it is more durable than a luepy, no it is not more durable than a USO" (IMHO)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyoDuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
True, but comparing a porsche and a mini van is more like comparing a $10 tasco to a USO. More realistically comparing a mustang to a porsche would be like comparing a leupold to a USO or equiv.
</div></div>

Ok, point taken and I agree. However I don't think that really changes anything in the rest of my argument.

I personally have little to no interest in a mustang. I don't like the fit and finish, the ergonomics, or the handling. It's fast and it looks good but I enjoy driving the Porche better, even at the increased cost. Both are probably technically more advanced than I'm able to drive, but fortunately you don't have to "qualify" to purchase something in this country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toddacguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Leupold plays the game very well!</div></div>

Well said. I personally like the Leupys and think the glass on my Mark 4 is just as good as my NF (if not a little better).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
" Is the IOR more durable? YES it is more durable than a luepy, no it is not more durable than a USO" (IMHO)
</div></div>

IMHO, I don't think they are even close to each other in the durability department. Leupold is very durable, IOR is prone to frequent breakage. I don't think I am in the minority in my thinking on this one.

Wow, I can't believe this thread of mine is still going but I would have to agree with matchking. I think Leupold is way ahead of IOR as far as durability. I think IOR's glass may be a little better but not much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think Leupold is way ahead of IOR as far as durability. </div></div>

+1

it's mostly just small penis compensation....my brand X is better than your brand Y

I've got/had/used just about anything on the market. I like my Leupolds and have won many a match with them. My Nightforces are nice, but big and heavy. My S&B's well dam they're nice, they better be for the price, but I'm not attached to anything. I buy something if it's a deal, and only if it's a deal where I'm fairley sure I can get my initial investment back. I sure don't get a kick out of looseing several hundred bucks on a piece of equipment.

Now lets look at the other end. I see a lot of stuff for sale here, some of it "need to sell" people have unexpected bills come up and most people seam to be maxed out on credit or have little to no saveings. Why spend $3000 on a scope when you're paying 6% (or whatever) intrest on a house, vehicle or other items. Spend $800 on a nice leupold and have a good scope that is more than adequate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WyoDuke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
True, but comparing a porsche and a mini van is more like comparing a $10 tasco to a USO. More realistically comparing a mustang to a porsche would be like comparing a leupold to a USO or equiv.
</div></div>

Ok, point taken and I agree. However I don't think that really changes anything in the rest of my argument.

I personally have little to no interest in a mustang. I don't like the fit and finish, the ergonomics, or the handling. It's fast and it looks good but I enjoy driving the Porche better, even at the increased cost. Both are probably technically more advanced than I'm able to drive, but fortunately you don't have to "qualify" to purchase something in this country.
</div></div>

Don't get me wrong, I am right there with you in taking a porsche over a mustang. Just saying that experience with the tool is more important than the cost of the tool. I would bet the average shooter wouldn't shoot any better with a 3g scope than they would with a 1g scope and by the time they got the skill level where they would, then they wouldn't have to ask if it was worth the money. They would already know if it was worth it to them.

Again, I don't think anyone is arguing that you need the scope to shoot better or that the scope somehow compensates for skill. The question was asked if there was a difference or if you're just paying for a name. Yes there is a difference and you can get features and quality with a USO that you simply can't get with a Leupy. If you want to pay for this or not is entirely up to the purchaser.

The penis envy actually seems to be more skewed towards the folks with less expensive scopes feeling concerned that they're not getting proper respect for their skill. The folks with USO's made their choice and have moved on. I didn't buy USO because of the price, the name, or to impress anyone. Hell 99.9% of the folks at my local range have never heard of S&B, NF, or USO and wouldn't know my SN-3 from a Tasco. What do I care? I bought the scopes I did because I put together a list of features I wanted on a scope, went out and looked at what was available, and those were the choices that fit my specs. I decided that I was willing to pay the price necessary to fulfill the list of features I wanted so that was the scope I bought. If I could have gotten an MOA-matched ret/turret version of the SH IOR then I certainly would have rather than drop an extra grand on a USO. If I could get a leupy with a ret I liked and matched large-diameter low-profile turrets (M2 is a step in the right direction) then I probably would. If IOR had offered a lit ret in the IOR SH then I wouldn't have bought the USO. I just bought a Mk4 1.5-5 because the specs of the scope happened to match up with the specs I had laid out for what I wanted the purchase to do. As a nice bonus, it was also cheaper than the USO, S&B, or NF alternatives. Yay.

I also dropped $850 on a putter once. Not because I went looking for expensive putters (or even knew at the time $850 putters existed) but because I laid out a list of what features I wanted in a putter and then went looking for the one that matched what I wanted. As it turned out the list of features I'd listed (face-balanced, center-shaft, beached, 350g) limited my choices down to just a few very expensive putters. If I'd found the same putter listed for $100 then I would have been just as happy (probably happier) with the purchase. None of this has anything to do with how well I putt, it was simply a choice I made in order to match the equipment in my bag with how I wanted to play the game. If anyone had asked me if there was a difference between that putter and a different one then I would have been happy to give them a review on the putter as well. I would not feel it was up to me to tell them that they aren't yet good enough to spend that kind of money on a putter. In the end it is up to each individual to decide what they want and what they're willing to pay for it. God bless America for that.

Ratbert hit the nail on the head... again.

Its not about how clear the glass is or how bright this is or even how much it costs. If you buy scopes based on those values then IMO youre selling your self short of learning more as far as certain aspects of shooting are concerned.

If you are looking for certain features/adjustments/Simplicity in a scope to put on your prized $4000 custom built rifle... then there is a long list of prices to choose from and certain prices will include half or some of the features/adj or neither. Why buy something thats just "good enough?"... because the truth is many shooters dont KNOW what they want in a scope. The ones that do end up paying for what they want. Again I'm not talking about how clear or bright the glass is or how my Supersniper allows me to hit targets just as good as my friends USO or S&B... all that is worthless. The user options are all that matter (Reticle design/turrent matched with reticle example mil/mil ret or MOA/MOA ret, Illuminated or not/ FFP or SFP/ tube dia/ Bell dia and most importantly user SIMPLIFICATION and ergonomics).

ETA: When a fellow shooter at the range asks me to look through my scope and the first words that come outta his mouth is,"WOW the glass in this scope is bright and clear!" I know that this guy has no idea what he's looking through or for. Then thats usually followed by questions that I dont like to answer but do because they dont understand it anyway... i'd rather get back to shooting. But I try to explain anyway.

anyone who says an IOR is more durable than a Leupold (as long as we're talkin MK 4) is full of shit...I've had IOR's quit and break on me before with little field time in them. My mark 4's seem indestructible...I've posted this before but I like this quote by Zak Smith....maybe he'll respond to it..."The rear housing of an IOR once came loose in my hand while I was adjusting the magnification. It's owner then said, paraphrased, "Oh, getting a replacement is not a problem." - Zak Smith

Well,
I pulled my buddies huntin rifle out of the case today. It is a Rem 788 carbine with an S&B 3x12-42 klassic. I think he has the right idea.

Also,
Went to a 500 yrd match one time with my GAP and S&B. Got my ass handed to me by another shooter with a PSS and supersniper.
Am I going to sell my GAP and S&B because I paid to much? Nope!
I am going to buy more ammo though!

Are the S&B's worth it? Yes sir.

Hope this helps.
Trilogymac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tioga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a Zeiss scope. Have now spent big $$$ replacing all my cheap scopes can't use them anymore. </div></div>

Same here, once youre out in the field and see the difference in clarity you get for your money it becomes hard to use cheaper optics. Same with firearms, I've become quite a gun snob over the past few years.
eek.gif
</div></div>+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anvil8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tioga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a Zeiss scope. Have now spent big $$$ replacing all my cheap scopes can't use them anymore. </div></div>

Same here, once youre out in the field and see the difference in clarity you get for your money it becomes hard to use cheaper optics. Same with firearms, I've become quite a gun snob over the past few years.
eek.gif
</div></div>+1</div></div>

Seriously? You resurrected a thread that died almost 2 months ago so that you could add "+1" ???

I'm tired.... lol !

But in term of optic quality I hear so so many mistake... Zeiss is the best stuff in term of optic quality... Swarovski run close. S&B not compare sorry... now in term of american manufacturers.

NEW Leupold have "beautiful" optics and they can compare now in "day light" with riflescopes above. Personnaly I have buy for my dad a new leupold VIII 4.5X14-40 AO and I have look through european and I have choose the "loopie" !

Why ? not price... but the "mix" of qualities was the better choice !

2ndly, Please to stop to compare a "1 ic" tube / 40mm objetcive with a 34mm tube / 56mm objective in "low/night light" day.

if you put a NF and a Leupold beside, there are no difference today !!!!! it was right five years ago.

It's time to stop bias, there are too much "partisants" here in sniper hide... who do "bad ad" and swear only by....

I have used all Brands available (mainly Zeiss, Swarovski and leupold) and I have never had any problem with my Leupold !!! never. one of my friend was a big dealer of riflescopes and once, he had to return a batch (3) of flawed leupold... and it was right for any other manufacturer. I'm always astonishing to hear that leupold are not reliable... maybe you strike nails with....

best regards,

MK4 guud nuff, dreaming of USO tonight.
I have never in my life read through 5 pages, unless there were pics. I must say that, it's impressive that this thread has went on and stayed mostly on subject! I just wanted to be part of it, even when posting late.

Yesterday, I went to a local (actually 40 minute drive) and ordered a Warn winch and front kit, which will cost about $1,500. I could have got a less expensive winch for my vehicle and could have tried to put it on myself, but I wanted to have something I could be relying on and avoid the hassles of an inferior winch that might not be as good and because these guys at Mud Connection have put on more winches as that is what they do.

I went with a USO scope which arrived last week since I similarly wanted top quality and could afford it at this time.

That does not mean it is the only option, but when you pro-rate buying better quality over the life of a product, usually you come out ahead if you are able to swing it, and the higher caliber generally has good resale value as well if you ever want or need to sell it. Just the clarity of the USO alone is worth it to me, which is why I have Leicas in binoculars, just that the good glass is worth it for me personally. It is a personal choice as to where you want to spend money and am glad for people like USO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A top-of-the-line scope like an S&B or a U.S.O. is approximately in the same price class as a first-class custom rifle from G.A. Precision or Terry Cross.

So, you've doubled your investment in that rifle.

If your intent is to achieve excellence with a tactical rifle, that's one less variable to worry about in the pursuit of your goal.

Just as a ball-park estimate, to reach a level of excellence with that rifle will require the expenditure of something in the vicinity of 10,000 rounds of ammunition.

Even if you reload, that's a minimum of $3000 for ammunition, closer to $5000 or more, if you don't reload.

So, $2-3K for a scope doesn't seem outrageous to me.

In addition, the feature set I require, primarily FFP reticles, are available only in higher-priced scopes or in scopes with less-than-sterling reputations for reliability.

Shooting is actually not that expensive a hobby. If you don't believe me, go price a bass boat.

<span style="color: #990000"> </span> <span style="font-weight: bold">My preference is to buy something once, and have something that will serve me for a long time.

I am impressed by people's skill with the gear they have, not with the price of the gear - but my experience has been that it's easier to achieve superior levels of skill with better gear.</span>
</div></div>

This part of your statement reflects my thinking to a "T". Related to your first paragraph, as someone else on this forum has on their post......."Buy once, cry once".

The last paragraph also is the gospel truth. I always buy the best equipment. This way, if I don't do well, I can never blame the equipment. Then, it's just me that need to do better.

My most expensive scope is a NF, but according to my philosophy, I see no problems and only benefit in getting a USO or S&B.

I must own and use 10+ Leupold scopes,I have had a prob with one that they no longer make,I sent it to them and they sent me a new and better scope. I also own a couple across the pond scopes, very nice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Premier Scope comming soon!!!!!...Time to replace scopes again!!!!!! </div></div>

But they're not making a high magnification scope right?

Not initially, but they are planning on it after they get the 3-12 in full gear.

I look at this way..... Owning at least one really good scope on a great rifle is like having one really nice suit for Church, Court, special events or just taking your wife or girlfriend out for a nice night out. Fortunitely, I've been blessed and have several nice suits..........now I need a few more nice scopes. PAT.

First a hello to all, I am a new member to the forum. I joined for a few reasons but mainly my love of shooting and the technology of it. I was on another forum and saw a post about counter sniper scopes, went to their website and saw the bs and had to find out who built them. Wound up here. Nice place to wind up.
I own a few great scopes, one of the best is on a lieca theodolite. 20x about 8 inches long and a 35mm lens. The instrument measures 1/400 of an inch at 100 (1/2 second) feet and the scope can read it. Good glass is amazing! It all boils down to how close to perfect the manufacturing can get. And like anything else the last10% in quality is 90 percent of the price. I'ld like my next one to be a SN9, Good Lord willing.

There are some interesting views on this thread so I will input my thinking. I play a lot of different games and have specialty equipment for many of those games.

For the money, Leupold is hard to beat and in my opinion the best all-around rifle scope (whatever that means) is a Leupold 6.5-20x 40mm AO.

With that said, when I topped off my one 'tactical' rifle I put a USO on it because of the front focal plane (which is the only way I find a mil-dot reticle useful), knob features, and reticle options. I think the cost is worth it because I do not hoard rifles and that scope will get a lot of use. No safe queens for me.

Just got a DPMS Panther LR-.260 Rem A3 Flattop and looking for a good rangefinding reticle scope (something other than Mil-Dot) without the pricetag of Leupold or Swarovski, etc. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't have a problem with Mil-Dot and would be more than happy to go that route in the end, just curious as to what kind of scopes are out there and have quality. I have had a Leupold VX-III 30mm 4.4x14x40 w/Varmit Reticle, liked it ok, but want something with less guess work. Any help from anyone would be great!! Thanks
bluegrasscotty

I've owned a number of high end scopes and would place the Zeiss Diavari and S&B at the top of the list. As far mirage elimination, the NF excels.