• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes EXPENSIVE SCOPES!!!!!

Re: EXPENSIVE SCOPES!!!!!

Thanks for all input from everyone! How about these brands for performance? <span style="font-weight: bold">Millett, Meopta, and Sightron</span>. I'm curious as how everyone ranks them compared to a Leupold, USO, Nightforce, S&B. I personally use Leupold & Nikon and always can count on any one of my scopes no matter which brand, power, or caliber.

Just to add a personal note. I have looked at a Meopta and was impressed by clarity and overall ruggedness, just looked and felt like a tuff scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W.E.G.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
scopeutility.jpg
</div></div>

The theory of utility relativity tells us that if we read about IOR, S&B, NF, and USO on SH, then, we have been able to warp money and utility.

I now have an IOR scope and my Leupolds lack first focal plane and clarity.

Meanwhile, by brother has not been reading SH, resides in a parallel universe, and he is still getting full utility from a $400 VXII 6x18x40 on his single shot 223 he built with a $40 surplus Douglas barrel, a $50 Mauser receiver, and a $50 stock. He never has noticed any shortcomings of the scope, and focuses on what he is shooting.

here's my theory

decent glass for hunting rifle 0-400yds can get by with a lotta scopes under $600.

start making adjustments to parallax, and windage and elevation and you move to 1200+ scopes.

I appreciate great glass as much as the next guy and having bought great glass it’s worth it. It really stings when you take the first step. The lesson came for me when almost twenty years ago I bought a pair of Lecia Binos from a friend who was a sales rep then. I paid $600 for those and thought WTF I must be stupid. After the first hunting trip and spending hours each day behind them I realized that glass was not the place to be cheap.

The cost to develop and design great glass is very expensive. That cost has to be amortized over the number of scopes sold which at the high end aren’t many. When you add up the cost to have scopes made, the duty and freight, some profit, distributor and dealer price points then the retail to us it’s easy to see how and why the 2K-3K prices exist. If only we could buy direct from the makers.

I've been shooting a Nightforce NSX 8-32 w/mil dot and it is great. Consistent across the distance ranges and the calibrations are dead on. I'm geek enough to check it

Why buy higher price Michelin tires.....

-Better milage = cheqaper in the long run
-More miles out of the tires = cheaper in the long run
-Better handling and less road vibration and less wearand tear. = cheaper in the long run
-Safer = cheaper in the long run

Same holds true for most anything...including optics.

You seldom save money buy buying "cheaper" stuff. You just end up buying it over again.

My $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You seldom save money buy buying "cheaper" stuff. You just end up buying it over again.</div></div>
True. Some more wise words:

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

WOW! I can't believe that this thread I started over 2 years ago is still going! Since I started this thread I've discovered the differnce in junk scopes, decent scopes, and great scopes. I no longer wonder why great scopes cost as much as they do, I just wish I had the money to purchase one! Until then I'll have to settle for Nightforce and IOR. I guess that's really not settling as these scopes are great scopes but I have a burning desire for a Premier Heritage!

Regards,
Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneck medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is IOR worth $1400 bux. Are they producing good quality scopes now???? </div></div>

Great quote, Neck (the Yamamoto one)...someone should show that one to the gun controll morons.

IOR, in my experience make good stuff, but Id go with a NXS for the same money, but I really want is SB, or Heritage. BTW, you might want to fill out the rest of your profile.

Wow. First time I've ever read 5 pages too.

I'm looking for a scope to put on my AR 308 platform and a new bolt gun in 308. Lots of choices and lots of good info and justifications for all the opinions.

I have a SS 10x right now and the glass is not good. It has a sweet spot thats not to bad but if your not in it you wind up with a little gray donut in the glass. Can I hit with that scope? Yes I can. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have or can afford at the time.

Now I "need" a better scope so I'm looking at the Nightforce 3.5x10 x 50 or the Leupold M4. I think the USOs would be better and I'm sure I'll need one of those some day too but I'm sure I'll still be able to hit my targets with a Nightforce or Mark 4 as long as the scope I get doesn't come apart on me.

I just ordered my first scope (I'm a service rifle shooter who just got a nice .308). I got a Premier 3-15X50mm. Mike Cecil at CSTactical got out an S&B, a NF, an IOR, a loopy, and a USO and talked to me for about an hour. The Premier was the obvious choice for my money. Buy once, cry once.

Wow, I can't believe this thread that I started almost 3 years ago is still going! I've learned enough in the last three years that I can answer my own question. Yes, expensive scopes are definately worth it!!

In my over 30 years of shooting I've gone from Tasco to Weaver to Unertal to Leupold VariX III to NightForce now looking forawrd to even higher grade scopes.

I would recommend an old (made in CO) Redfield 3x9 Accu-Trac. I have put them next to a S&B (10 times the cost) and found the difference negligible, and just as rugged.

I think a thread like this needs a final word type post to properly sum it up: If long range shooting is your overriding passion in life, you are a serious competitor, have more money than you know what to do with, or your life and others depends on it, you need to buy the best. You will never be satisfied until you do.

If your like most and have many passions in life and limited funds to indulge them there are many lessor options that when properly applied can make you smile just as big, and that smile when you connect, at what most consider to be some absurdly long range, is really what its all about. Keep smiling.

thank you PGS
also saw the pictures of reticles on
FAQ (pictures through the scope)
seem to see more easily the Mil dot reticle than the reticle like the SB p4
les busy and to fine....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd go BSA.......... </div></div>

Shit.. For real pursuits, Barska all the way!!! </div></div>Aint got shit on my Gamo air scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Low Sioux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a thread like this needs a final word type post to properly sum it up: If long range shooting is your overriding passion in life, you are a serious competitor, have more money than you know what to do with, or your life and others depends on it, you need to buy the best. You will never be satisfied until you do.

If your like most and have many passions in life and limited funds to indulge them there are many lessor options that when properly applied can make you smile just as big, and that smile when you connect, at what most consider to be some absurdly long range, is really what its all about. Keep smiling. </div></div>

Well said!

This is like asking a golf forum if golf clubs are worth $3000, or on a harley forum if it's worth spending $5000 on chrome parts.
smile.gif
Not to mention that even if someone felt it was a waste of their money to spend $5000 on chrome parts, when asked they are going to say it was well worth the $. People don't want to admit their money was not well spent.

If your life or the lives of others depend on it, it's obviously worth whatever it costs to have the best equipment, period.

Normally in most hobbies, archery, hunting scopes, mountain bikes, snowboards, motorcycles, binoculars, knives, whatever, you have a huge range of products so you can easily pick your budget and lots of good functional choices at every price point. Yes the higher priced options are more refined and may perform better for higher skilled users, but there are always mid price options are durable, reliable, and functional for 95% of users. However in the tactical scope market there's only 2-3 options (none of which have proven even remotely reliable) between $500 and $2000 FFP scopes. They don't even come CLOSE to performing to the average tactical shooters needs.

I think this is where people get frustrated. In most hobbies you might have to pay twice the money to get that last 5% of performance, however in the tactical scope market none of the FFP scopes have proven reliable or accurate in their adjustments and have subpar quality control under $2000, frankly that's just sad.

So while I agree that the S&B, USO, Hensholdt etc. scopes are amazing glass and some of the most reliable gear out there and if you want the best they are worth the $3000 price tag, the problem is the quality of the $500-2000 FFP scopes is hit and miss at best. In most hobbies or sports that's not the case, the mid price point products are usually 90+% of what the top end stuff is.

Look at binoculars you spend $1000 you will get 90% of the performance of $2000 binoculars at least, they will be just as waterproof, just as durable. Spend $1500 on a mountain bike you'll get 90% of the performance of a $3000 mountain bike. Spend $400 on a snowboard you'll get 90% of the performance of a $800 board. More importantly in all of those cases the mid price point product is usually just as durable and functional, there is just a small performance increase and maybe more features/options.

If there were several options for FFP scopes in the $500-2000 range that all had consistent and accurate adjustments and reasonably durable construction but the only difference was custom features and glass quality I think tactical scope buyers would not feel quite so forced into having to spend $3000 to get something that works.

Ok i have been there and got stung i shoot F Class and Long Range F Class 1000-1200 yards and have has a Nightforce it had issues and has finaly been repaired but i went interstate to a State Championships and it shit itself so after you spend a few grand on fares, fuel, ammo, subs to shoot barrel life etc you then come to the thought why dont i work out away to get a better scope that wont shit itself. i got a march Scope over 3 grand but shit i am glad i did just shot a reccord score in match rifle/long range f class 290/300 50 shots it is the best ever shot in this state and 2nd best in the world. do i think the Nightforce benchrest would have been as good sorry NO. you get what you pay for the Nightforce is a good scope for your money with many options and features but at twice the price the March 10-60X52 is worth double the price. I also have a premier for my 338 and love it it is an amasing scope i am switching all of my scopes to Mill/Mill besides my dedicated target scope. most people here have a spare scope in case some thing shits itself so i think i am better served with a scope that is twice the cost but i only need one.

I have a NXS 2.5-10 on my 7mm short mag hunting rifle and it works well for the purpose i also have an IOR but it is on a play rifle for plinking, i use a Kahles on my varmint rifle but am getting another Mill/Mill scope for that for long range work and will swap it out with QD rings as i use the rifle at night for spot light shooting of pests and last weekend i had the premier 5-25 on it and was to heavy out of a 4wd i am thinking a Vortex razor will be a good fit for long range we sit on top of hills and shoot rabbits and other varmints out past 500m and i need a repeatable tracking scope.

now befoe you say i am a millionare i am seperated with a 7 year old son i look after 1/2 the time and on a full military disability pension i just try to buy and sell some things to make some coin help a friend out that allows me to get a free barrel here and there or ammo and components and i sell things i dont realy need anymore and settle on the things i do need.
I am lookin g at building another rifle for real extreme long range a 375 Viers Magnum if it works it will be a single shot Lawton in a XLR stock but i will switch my Premier scope from my 338 to it and use 1 scope on 2 rifles as i can only shoot one of them at a time and i would prefer a rifle in my safe without a scope than 2 rifles both with lesser scopes as i can get my zero's sourted out with the same scope on 2 rifles and just adjust when they are switched. I currently have 4 calibres on my F Class rifle and use the same scope just move it a few min up and left to suit the other calibres but the 7mm Rem SAUM is used for long range and to 1500 yards i make sure that is the one with the perfect zero and know the other impacts.

So i say buy the best optics you can afford take a look at a Vortex Razor they might work for you but the top end optics is a lot heavier than the cheeper optics because of desighn and strength so be aware of that but i love the Premier and it might be worth a look for you aswell but if your harts set on the S&B just work out a way to get one you will love it a USO is also great and would love one of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok i have been there and got stung i shoot F Class and Long Range F Class 1000-1200 yards and have has a Nightforce it had issues and has finaly been repaired but i went interstate to a State Championships and it shit itself so after you spend a few grand on fares, fuel, ammo, subs to shoot barrel life etc you then come to the thought why dont i work out away to get a better scope that wont shit itself. i got a march Scope over 3 grand but shit i am glad i did just shot a reccord score in match rifle/long range f class 290/300 50 shots it is the best ever shot in this state and 2nd best in the world. do i think the Nightforce benchrest would have been as good sorry NO. you get what you pay for the Nightforce is a good scope for your money with many options and features but at twice the price the March 10-60X52 is worth double the price. I also have a premier for my 338 and love it it is an amasing scope i am switching all of my scopes to Mill/Mill besides my dedicated target scope. most people here have a spare scope in case some thing shits itself so i think i am better served with a scope that is twice the cost but i only need one.

I have a NXS 2.5-10 on my 7mm short mag hunting rifle and it works well for the purpose i also have an IOR but it is on a play rifle for plinking, i use a Kahles on my varmint rifle but am getting another Mill/Mill scope for that for long range work and will swap it out with QD rings as i use the rifle at night for spot light shooting of pests and last weekend i had the premier 5-25 on it and was to heavy out of a 4wd i am thinking a Vortex razor will be a good fit for long range we sit on top of hills and shoot rabbits and other varmints out past 500m and i need a repeatable tracking scope.

now befoe you say i am a millionare i am seperated with a 7 year old son i look after 1/2 the time and on a full military disability pension i just try to buy and sell some things to make some coin help a friend out that allows me to get a free barrel here and there or ammo and components and i sell things i dont realy need anymore and settle on the things i do need.
I am lookin g at building another rifle for real extreme long range a 375 Viers Magnum if it works it will be a single shot Lawton in a XLR stock but i will switch my Premier scope from my 338 to it and use 1 scope on 2 rifles as i can only shoot one of them at a time and i would prefer a rifle in my safe without a scope than 2 rifles both with lesser scopes as i can get my zero's sourted out with the same scope on 2 rifles and just adjust when they are switched. I currently have 4 calibres on my F Class rifle and use the same scope just move it a few min up and left to suit the other calibres but the 7mm Rem SAUM is used for long range and to 1500 yards i make sure that is the one with the perfect zero and know the other impacts.

So i say buy the best optics you can afford take a look at a Vortex Razor they might work for you but the top end optics is a lot heavier than the cheeper optics because of desighn and strength so be aware of that but i love the Premier and it might be worth a look for you aswell but if your harts set on the S&B just work out a way to get one you will love it a USO is also great and would love one of those.

</div></div>

Good words.

Apparantly they don't teach the use of the "." in AUS schools though....
smirk.gif

Interesting thread.... I just took the plunge and ordered a S&B PMII 5-25 mil/mil with the P4F reticle just this morning. And that was before I even read this thread. Pretty much my thinking was at $3k, I'm getting a top of the line scope that will last a life time. Where as I could spend $1000-1500 upgrading it every couple of years when I wasn't satisfied.

My progression for my buying decision to upgrade my Falcon 5.5-25 FFP started interestingly enough with the 6-24 Viper PST, thinking I could save a little $$. Then, I progressed to looking at an IOR, the new Leupy FFPs, and the Vortex Razor HD. But all along I kept having a nagging feeling I was shorting myself and I kept coming back to looking at USO, Premier and S&B. So I finally said "f*^k it" and pulled the trigger on the scope I actually wanted. I feel like its not just a frivolous expense - that while my life isn't on the line - I do enjoy shooting at long range often and the times I've shot friend's high end scopes has just been a joy. Not that the Falcon hasn't worked fine at 1K, because it has.

I wonder if I'll be able to tell much difference between this and my Falcon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting thread.... I just took the plunge and ordered a S&B PMII 5-25 mil/mil with the P4F reticle just this morning. And that was before I even read this thread. Pretty much my thinking was at $3k, I'm getting a top of the line scope that will last a life time. Where as I could spend $1000-1500 upgrading it every couple of years when I wasn't satisfied.

My progression for my buying decision to upgrade my Falcon 5.5-25 FFP started interestingly enough with the 6-24 Viper PST, thinking I could save a little $$. Then, I progressed to looking at an IOR, the new Leupy FFPs, and the Vortex Razor HD. But all along I kept having a nagging feeling I was shorting myself and I kept coming back to looking at USO, Premier and S&B. So I finally said "f*^k it" and pulled the trigger on the scope I actually wanted. I feel like its not just a frivolous expense - that while my life isn't on the line - I do enjoy shooting at long range often and the times I've shot friend's high end scopes has just been a joy. Not that the Falcon hasn't worked fine at 1K, because it has.

I wonder if I'll be able to tell much difference between this and my Falcon? </div></div>
My brother has a Falcon 5.5-25X 56mm and while it is an excellent scope for the money, it is far from a PMII 5-25X. And that is as it should be, as IIRC my brother paid around $525.00-ish while a CCW PMII 5-25X will run approximately six to seven (7) times that. While that is a huge price differential, IMHO the PMII's build quality and precision warrant it.

The glass on the Falcon is pretty good - and the edge-to-edge clarity better than I'd expect for a budget scope - especially a FFP. The adjustments operate smoothly and from what I've seen are accurate (I own a Falcon 4-14X 44mm EMD and my adjustments work well). But the clicks are imprecise and mushy compared to USO, Premier, S & B, and even my old school Leupolds'. Teaser photo below.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Tac Ops X-Ray 51</span> and Leupold Mark 4 Rings in <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">"Tac Ops OD"</span> Green-T</span> w/PMII 5-25X & Black-T Tac Ops 40 MOA Two-Piece Base:</span>
X-Ray51LoggerheadSPRS45AngleCU8x6.jpg

Keith

WoW!! [/quote]

I bet if you call them and order 500ish of them you too would get a favorable discount.

Julian [/quote] [/quote]

DO I SMELL A S&B VOLUME DISCOUNT ORDER!!!!
grin.gif

Where does Nightforce stand on this order of scopes? and what is the Marine Corp model SB they use?

I know this is an old post, but I have to comment. I sold my Leupold 4.5x14.30 and bought a Nighforce 5.5x22.50 and my shooting increased ten fold! The magnification, the quality of the clicks and holding perfectly, the better paralax adjusments, etc.; made all the difference. Costly? Yes. But you'll always get a better resale if needed off a highend scope versus a low end or middle of the line scope. The just hold their value better. If you've invested in a high end rifle, then do yourself a favor and invest in a high end scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simon L.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GHOSTRECON:

I'm almost certain the recoil impulse from just firing your weapon strains the scope a lot more than you can by dropping it from 5 feet.

Sorry, first post. </div></div>

No.

I want tennis lessons now! Where Zombie, where? What kind of scope were you using at that match? Whew...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quote;
"That's 3 THOUSAND dollars! I'm mean shit, how much can it cost to build one of these scopes, they have to be making a huge proffit! Do you all really think that there is a scope worth $3000? And is a Schmidt and Bender worth $2000 more than a Leupold MK4? I really want one of these scopes but I just can't make myself justify spending a month's pay for a scope. Oh well just wanted to whine a little."

I could never justify the $$$. There a a whole lotta scopes out ther for 1/3 of the $$ that will acheive the desired effect- the Leupold MK4. Nikon Tactical, and as much as I hate to say this, the IOR line, come o mind. My trashmaster MK4s have soldiered on without fail/hiccup. I personally would rather have more top-notch rifles with lowly Leupold MK4s than a couple of rifles with big $$$$$$ "high end" scopes.
</div></div>

I pretty much feel the same. I'd rather have a $1000 scope on a $3000 rifle than a $3000 scope on a $1000 rifle. I would love to own a S&B or USO but I can live with a $1000 bushy or Vortex PST or whatever. If money was no object, I would buy one of each. I can't shoot further than 600 yards anyway and the projectiles at my range only go one way. A $3500 custom 1911 is nice but it really doesn't do the job that much better than a $500 Glock. If you got the money then buy top of the line everything. If you're scope is worth more than your car...

ETA: just trying to get my post count up.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quote;
"That's 3 THOUSAND dollars! I'm mean shit, how much can it cost to build one of these scopes, they have to be making a huge proffit! Do you all really think that there is a scope worth $3000? And is a Schmidt and Bender worth $2000 more than a Leupold MK4? I really want one of these scopes but I just can't make myself justify spending a month's pay for a scope. Oh well just wanted to whine a little."

I could never justify the $$$. There a a whole lotta scopes out ther for 1/3 of the $$ that will acheive the desired effect- the Leupold MK4. Nikon Tactical, and as much as I hate to say this, the IOR line, come o mind. My trashmaster MK4s have soldiered on without fail/hiccup. I personally would rather have more top-notch rifles with lowly Leupold MK4s than a couple of rifles with big $$$$$$ "high end" scopes.
</div></div>

ETA: just trying to get my post count up.
frown.gif
</div></div>

By resurrecting old posts?

I couldn't agree more!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeepin_Lawyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Low Sioux</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a thread like this needs a final word type post to properly sum it up: If long range shooting is your overriding passion in life, you are a serious competitor, have more money than you know what to do with, or your life and others depends on it, you need to buy the best. You will never be satisfied until you do.

If your like most and have many passions in life and limited funds to indulge them there are many lessor options that when properly applied can make you smile just as big, and that smile when you connect, at what most consider to be some absurdly long range, is really what its all about. Keep smiling. </div></div>

Well said! </div></div>

Anyone else care to share a few words, I think we can use a few more opinions
smile.gif
JK I would say that this thread has helped me in search of my scope but it has also left me in a daze. Leupold MK4 seems to be ringing loud in here.

Expensive scopes are worth the money you spend on them. Not trying to take away from the fact that it is A LOT of money. Think of it this way: There are different "levels" of sports cars. Like scopes, without scraping the bottom of the barrel, most will serve you well, but some are just a cut above.

Want the best and have the money? Then buy this: http://www.koenigsegg.com/models/agera-r/

Don't have 800,000? Something more practical?
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/panamera/panamera-4s/

Still too much? Try this:
http://www.lexus.com/performance/#/f_performance_vehicles/pview/ISF/highlights/

Scopes are the same way. Nothing "wrong" Leupold. Great scope. But to compare it to a USO, S&B, or PR is like comparing a Ferrari 458 Italia to a Nissan Z.

Mark 4s are very good scopes. Not cheap, but not up in the S&B range either.

Are S&B scopes better than Mark 4? Yes. And twice + as expensive? Maybe not. When/if any of them are sold S&Bs will probably have lost less value then the Mk 4s.

As long as the $$$ spent is reasonably available without cutting into money for the basics then the life-cycle cost is about a wash.

Just my 2 cents.

OFG

I used to be a Leupold fan, and my first precision rifle (Rem700PSS) had a Mark IV on it. I have also had and still own a number of VariX II's and III's. I love Leupold scopes for hunting rifles. They're a good value and make a variety of products that perfectly suit my needs in that regard. However, I shoot tactical matches these days with my precision rifles, and Leupold simply doesn't get the job done for me. S&B, Vortex Razor, NF, and Bushnell HDMRs top my rifles now, and there is a reason why. They are dependable and they offer features that Leupold does not. The glass in any of the scopes I listed is head and shoulders above anything Leupold is making these days (in my opinion). If it's reliability we're talking about, I have had 3 S&B scopes and have run them hard in matches, and I have yet to have an issue, same goes for my Vortex Razor, and my NF. Value wise I think the S&B's a a bit over priced, but not as over priced as say a Leupold Mark 8, especially considering the very average glass, and features the Mark 8 has to offer.

There are a bunch of great scopes out there that are above the $1000 dollar mark, but well under $2500. I don't really consider scopes in that price range as being expensive, unless they don't offer outstanding performance and features relative to the price tag. Besides, expensive is a relative concept, if you use a scope a lot and expect it to function perfectly every time you use it, are you paying too much if it meets or exceeds your expectations? Not for me. Your only paying too much if it doesn't meet your expectations (as one might expect from a Leupold).

I have a NF and love it. I feel that they have a high value in what you get for your money.

Just buy the best you can afford and see for yourself. You can always sell it make most your money back.