• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Experienced 18" Sabre chrome .223 barrel owners?

Zeus87

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
Just picked up a used 18" Sabre defense 1/7 5.56 barrel, I put some 75gr Hornady TAP through it and couldn't get within 2" from 100yds with a lead sled. Does anyone have experience with the barrel? If so what are you shooting? I would like to shoot factory match loads. Thanks

Re: Experienced 18" Sabre chrome .223 barrel owners?

I had one that shot sub MOA with Federal 77 grain MK, Black Hills .223 77 MK (red and blue box), and Black Hills MK 262. I did not have great groups with 75s for some reason.

I also consider myself lucky. I bought that barrel not realizing chrome lining often times has a negative affect on accuracy. Good luck with yours.

Try a load with Nosler 77's or SMK 77's. I could never get 75gr Hornady to group well either out of my Centurion CL.

A buddy of mine has two builds with the 18" Sabre CL barrels. Both give good accuracy (not sub MOA, but still good for an AR) - especially considering they are chrome lined. He also shoots 77 SMKs for our longer range 3-Gun events (as do I in an 18" Noveske barrel.

I picked up some black hills and federal 77gr today... To the range on Monday,I will be sure to report the results. Thanks again