• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Experienced 18" Sabre chrome .223 barrel owners?

Zeus87

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
Just picked up a used 18" Sabre defense 1/7 5.56 barrel, I put some 75gr Hornady TAP through it and couldn't get within 2" from 100yds with a lead sled. Does anyone have experience with the barrel? If so what are you shooting? I would like to shoot factory match loads. Thanks

Re: Experienced 18" Sabre chrome .223 barrel owners?

I had one that shot sub MOA with Federal 77 grain MK, Black Hills .223 77 MK (red and blue box), and Black Hills MK 262. I did not have great groups with 75s for some reason.

I also consider myself lucky. I bought that barrel not realizing chrome lining often times has a negative affect on accuracy. Good luck with yours.

Try a load with Nosler 77's or SMK 77's. I could never get 75gr Hornady to group well either out of my Centurion CL.

A buddy of mine has two builds with the 18" Sabre CL barrels. Both give good accuracy (not sub MOA, but still good for an AR) - especially considering they are chrome lined. He also shoots 77 SMKs for our longer range 3-Gun events (as do I in an 18" Noveske barrel.

I picked up some black hills and federal 77gr today... To the range on Monday,I will be sure to report the results. Thanks again