• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Explain slings to a sling newb anybody? need a recommendation also

Tomspanks

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2013
I used the search function and learned alot about slings here- still super unsure!

First of all- what advantages do the loop slings have over just a standard sling for my m14? I'm no pro but I do get better accuracy from slinging up just with a standard nylon sling- how is the loop sling any different?

Im not a tactical shooter so I'm shying away from the TIS quick cuffs and complicatedness. The mountain shooter is looking good- anyone used one of these?

SHOULDVE MENTIONED EDIT- My use is hunting and practice suited towards hunting- so obviously something quick and something that carries as well as it shoots cause its getting carried more than shot

opinions appreciated!

Last edited:
dude that is the bees knees just watched the video with no sound Im wowed though. thanks buddy

;) They aint cheap but you'll be hard pressed to find more thought going into a piece of webbing anywhere.

By the way though make sure you listen to the sound some time... You'll miss things like when he talked about the end of the sling being tripled up and sewn over a few times to make it into a nice stiff chunk for grabbing and using as a rear support if you are in a pinch.

Also the explanation of the different types of buckles is also good information that needs to be listened to.

~Brett

Last edited:
yeah he threatens that the buckles will release in the cold...too bad Im hunting in Canada :) might have to pony up for the elite...prolly wont though and just take the chance.

The fastex buckles are quite tough versions of the plastic buckles out there. In the cold they can get fragile if they get smacked or something while under load. Depending on how heavy your rifle is you might also want to check out TAB gear's Biathlon sling.

I don't want to thread-jack buuuuuut... How well can a biathlon sling be used to support offhand shooting? (i don't know the name of the technique, but I'm referring to when the sling is twisted around the left forearm [for a right handed shooter]). They seem to be a tighter fit compared to a standard sling that is worn across the chest. The reason I ask is that I'm after a sling that I can run in and refine my ability to shoot whilst tired and under pressure.

about 1907 mil.sling competitive use only :"LEATHER SLING AND SHOOTING POSITIONS" by M/SGT James R.Owen USMC (Ret) aka JAHRHEAD
about even other slings and their field use :" THE ART OF THE RIFLE" Col. Jeff Cooper

My Quick Cuff was designed to be simple. It requires the cuff to be on arm but then takes all the work out by just hooking fastex buckles together. It is the field equal to a match rifle sling and provides the same level of steadiness as the Match Rifle sling, or in short the most available.

Now for less hassle try my Slip Cuff Quick Release Sling. It requires no extra parts and is as fast as Quick Cuff to get out of. It has a back pack style rapid adjustment system and is my favorite sling for my ARs and hunting rifles. It plain works great.

I don't want to thread-jack buuuuuut... How well can a biathlon sling be used to support offhand shooting? (i don't know the name of the technique, but I'm referring to when the sling is twisted around the left forearm [for a right handed shooter]). They seem to be a tighter fit compared to a standard sling that is worn across the chest. The reason I ask is that I'm after a sling that I can run in and refine my ability to shoot whilst tired and under pressure.

Check out the video on the biathlon sling they have a shooters loop in it that you can lock around your bicep and use it as an off hand shooting sling and they show it in the video.

That worked out and Tony from TAB= a great guy to deal with to boot.

Yea he really is! I'm hoping to get the rail on my viperskins here soon and then I can use my RA sling which i had sent to me with flush cups on it.

~Brett

The TAB Gear sling in the first video seems pretty user friendly to someone who knows relatively nothing more about slings except that they help you carry the rifle. I need to get a sling for a Manners T5 that will be used on an elk hunt in Wyoming. Comfortably carrying the rifle is the most important aspect, but all of the other uses shown look like they can come in pretty handy. Is there a particular model/version that I should look for that works best with a Manners stock?