• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Extending LOP on an HS Precision stock for Savage

FOTH21

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
Logan, Ohio
I have a Savage 10FCP-K and bought an HS Precision tactical stock for it. My problem is the standard LOP on the stock is 13 1/2 inches. I'm 6'4" and measured my LOP to be between 14 1/2 and 15 inches. I searched and searched and couldn't find an economical (read "cheap") fix to extend the length of pull.

So I figured what the heck... I'll make one. So to my dad's wood shop I went. Figuring on just a temporary or pattern out of pine I cut a piece of wood to fit the buttstock. I planned on using the original buttpad that came on the rifle and could just shape the wood to fit both ends.

I also couldn't find very many sources online about doing this or what was under the glued on factory HSP pad. So I did it myself.

This is what I found:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/fasfan/IMAG0213.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p129/fasfan/IMAG0212.jpg

I used an x-acto knife to slowly and carefully cut the glue. I didn't freeze the stock which I saw recommended. I cleaned up the excess glue with a dremel tool and JB Welded the wood block onto the butt of the stock.

I routed out where the aluminum block sticks out on the back and where the old pad fits into the wood block. (sorry, no pics of that). Put a layer of wood glue on it to seal it, Painted the whole thing flat black and screwed on the old pad. I now have a length of pull of 14 1/2 inches.

Re: Extending LOP on an HS Precision stock for Savage

Nice, does it fit properly now? I'm planning something similar to my choate tactical on my savage to increase the lop, just to see if it helps me. I can buy more spacers from choate if it works. Any pics of the finished product?

Not yet. I always think about pictures AFTER i'm doing this stuff. lol. Otherwise I would have taken pics of it as I did it. If I had it to do over again, I would have used something harder than pine though. Dad said he has a nice piece of Hickory that would definitely be hard enough.

I'll take some pics of the final product and post them later along with some other tips I thought of afterward. Like taping off the stock BEFORE the JB Weld to protect it.

I'm thinking if for mock up/model type purposes pine would be great. Not so much for a finished product though.

Well that certainly looks better than mine. Lol

I hadn't planned on it either. We melted some aluminum into a block I thought about shaping into a spacer. But that didn't turn out too well. And it would he WAY too much work without any machine tools or talent. I was just gonna practice with the pine and end up with a model of what I wanted. But I'm impatient and it was actually doing better than I expected so I figured what the heck. I can always redo it later.

I was wondering how to do this on my B&C. Thanks for the idea. Kydex would make good spacer material. Easy to work with and won't need to be painted.

someone went to Lowes or Home Depot and found some plastic that came in a strip that was 1/4" thick and cut it into short lengths and made some spacers just like mcmillan uses. just look around. if you used a steel plate rather than aluminum on the back of the stock, the weight that would add would eliminate the weight in the stock and maybe change the balance for someone in a positive way. but there are many ways to skin a cat so take a little from everybody and hit the local hardware/hobby/ebay store and get what you need

It took a while but here is a pic of the final product. Just before I undid it.

IMAG0271.jpg

It turns out I lengthened it too far. So I figured that while I was making a cheek rest I would shorten the length of pull. The gray "stripe" is from the JB Weld that got on the stock (because I forgot to tape it off better).

When I cut the extension down and JB Welded the original butt pad back on I had some problems with the JB Weld not setting up right and it didn't turn out as nice as this time. But with some paint and sanding it should be fine.

And since I evidently forgot to post the pics of the stock after I removed the factory buttstock here are those:

this is before the clean up which went pretty well. A dremel cleaned the excess rubber off the stock pretty quick and easily.
IMAG0212.jpg

Here's another view of the same thing.
IMAG0213.jpg