• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Extractor snapped on AR- cause?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    My son's AR in 6.5 Grendel has only about 500-600 rounds down the tube.
    At the range on Sat., the extractor snapped off...

We're more of the bolt crowd, so I'm trying to determine possible causes. Obvious one would be hard extraction, but there were no pressure signs during load work-up previously to 27 grains of 8208 XBR under the 123 Amax. Hodgodon shows a compressed load of 28.5 as the max, so it doesn't <span style="font-style: italic">appear</span> that is an issue.
    No pressure signs on the primers, and the brass (Hornady) looks OK, no extractor gouges on the case.

Any other "symptoms" that would cause hard extraction, or is the extractor just one of those things that can break with no real reason with such a low round count?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks..

Re: Extractor snapped on AR- cause?

You have obviously checked out about everything that you can check out, and everything sounds like it would be fine. I have had the same thing happen in a Bushmaster and a DPMS. It is not that out of the ordinary. It is simply a machined part, and from time to time, they will break.

After my first break, I kept a few extra extractors in my repair kit, along with a few other odds and ends. Replace and shoot.

DK

With such a low round count, I'd chalk it up to a bad part and just replace the extractor.

Where did it break? At the claw or at the pin pivot point?

failures are extrmeley rare outside the magazine, but they do happen and this is one of the first parts to be aware of. I would be that it was a qc issue due to round count, but ya keep a few extra on hand especially if your shootin ga class, the have been knownn to go

Thanks guys.

Again, pardon the ignorance from the bolt guy....

The Grendel boltface is obviously different than the typical 5.56/.223. Is the extractor "universal" though? Don't want to start any major discussion, but is there a particular manufacturer that would be known for the highest quality here?

Will definitely pick up a few. Fortunately we had some other toys to play with so the day wasn't ruined (happened on the third round of 100!).

Not uncommon at all for a grendel extractor to break. Mine did the same after only 300 rounds of 28.3 gr of xbr. It is different from other extractors being that the grendel bolt face is deeper. You can get one from les baer shipped via Usps priority for around $25.00.

If your Grendel is headspaced for the 7.62 bolt then get a LMT Enhanced bolt. There was a thread on ARF that showed various bolts that broke; the only one that survived was the LMT. LMT does stock it the last time I checked, but it is not on their website.

If you Grendel is headspaced for AA's spec, then I would get the AA chromed bolt. If only the extractor is broken and it uses AA's headspacing, then AA also sells the extractors itself.

Wow, funny, I have a 6.5 and had extractor issues early on too. I understand that (AA?) changed the specs for the material used on the bolt because early ones had problems too. I can't recall where I heard this, it was a year ago when I was shopping for the barrel.

I just looked at the Les Baer part and it looks pretty good, and they offer one for .264LBC, which is probably what you'll want.

I went and looked at AA, and they offer an "optimized" extractor for the 6.5, and interestingly, a separate one for the .50Beo (I have one of those too and the bolts are interchangeable).

They also offer a "hard use" chromed bolt, in both .50 and 6.5. Now I always thought they were the same thing, and Bill told me himself they were the same thing years ago (I tested the .50Beo for him and for possible adoption by my unit in the army --awesome weapon). But it does seem that changes have been made sometime within the last decade.

I searched some sites and found some threads with Bill A. on them and he was mentioning differences and alluding to changes; these threads were all from 2011, so recent enough to be useful.

I think based on what I've read, that I'd go with the AA parts for now. $18 for the extractor, $85 for a chromed bolt assy. I think I'll probably order up some soon myself. The Grendel and the Beowulf are both very hard on the action, especially the bolt assy., so they may wear early. But if the Les Baer part is made better and it works, their .264LBC extractor, I'd go with that.

Also, I'd like to note that when I was using the 100gr. AMAX in my handloads, the COAL Hornady gives (is or was) wrong. When I called and talked to them, they first said no then agreed. Now I haven't used the 123's (well, SMK's) so I don't know if there is a problem, but with those 100gr. pills, the diameter of the short bullet was such that if it were loaded to the COAL recommended, it will jam in the rifling and be difficult to extract, and they didn't always go completely into battery. Extracting those first loads is what damaged my first extractor, truth be told.

Finally, why it broke early, could be the maker. You didn't say where you got your rifle or parts. If it is AA or LBC or Satern, I'm sure they are good and you just got a lemon that made it through QC. But if you have say, a budget kit from M&A or some place like that, then it is possible they just used a commercial 7.62x39 bolt and while it may work, it won't work as well (according to Bill Alexander). Just a heads up. If you change bolts, take into consideration the headspace like the previous fellow says.

Satern makes a fine bolt, when they have them and you can get them to take your money. Probably that they make them for AA, but I can't be sure.

Barrel/bolt are ER Shaw (Midway).

Not aware of chambering differences with the "6.5 Grendel" caliber between AA and other manufacturers (other than Les Baers .264 LBC..) ??

Seems changing the bolt could be a risky procedure- I can get a set of go/no-go's, but if it ends up outta spec, then I'm sending the barrel off.

I know that (unlike bolt guns) bolts seem to be swapped/replaced pretty routinely in the AR platform- is it the "norm" to not have headspace issues if I replace the bolt?

Strykervet,

Agreed, the feed ramps seem to be pretty particular with what they "like"...

When he first built it and we were working up loads, I bought a box of 123 grain Nosler Custom Competition. We had good success with that bullet type in his .223 bolt gun, so decided to give it a shot. The Amax could be loaded to mag length due to the shorter shank and longer ogive- the Nosler, had to be loaded MUCH shorter or I would have been jamming the bullet into the rifling (each was loaded .02 shy of the lands with a bullet comparator). Turned out that the Amax just happened to be right at mag length when loaded to the lands.

The Nosler, even when loaded shorter than mag length- would jam up into the feed ramps and FTF almost every time. Like I said- new to the semi game- but the feed ramps seem to be very steep and particular about what they like.

The barrel shoots, and I see no reason to replace the bolt unless you think I should- but I'd rather go with a better "grade" extractor if it'll fit Stoner's bolt. I know Stoner/Shaw is no LBC, but given that the extractor lives a hard life I don't want to go down this road more than necessary.

Not like his life depends on the gun running, just trying to avoid the frustration factor...

Appreciate the advice.