• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F class/matches

Sorefoot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2013
Central TN
Any such matches for long range precision where there isn't much walking involved? Im working with a prosthetic leg that doesn't let me walk far. Do they offer you a atv or golf cart when its your turn in the pit?
Thanks

We have matches every 4 to 6 weeks here in southwest Virginia. All stages are shot from the prone position, so there's not any walking involved. For the BangSteel Challenge matches and the Guardian match coming up in April and May of next year, there is minimal walking. The Guardian match is full, but the registration for the BangSteel match hasn't officially begun just yet.

We're about 3 hours from Knoxville...

Dan

Dan puts on a fun shoot. Come on up and join us. I don't think we walked more than a 150 yards at the bang steel challenge. And that wasn't under time. Just a relay reposition.

F-Class matches are generally run exactly that way. The amount of walking usually depends on how far from the firing line you have to park. If it's right up close, very little walking involved. Also, trips to the pits usually involves several people with cars/trucks driving down, or some form of large cart for people to hop on. This depends somewhat on the range, so it would be best to contact the Match Director at the specific range hosting the match you'd like to attend. Tell them your situation and see what the setup is. Most Match Directors will try to be as accommodating as possible to allow folks to shoot. Not sure exactly where in TN you are, but there are some very good ranges that may be close to your neck of the woods. Hope that helps and best of luck with it.

Note added: here is a link to a "Where to Shoot" spreadsheet from AccurateShooter. You might find additional options near you.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3787129.msg36071579#msg36071579

Last edited:
Generally speaking, at most ranges where F-class matches are shot, you will drive your car down to the pits when it's your turn to pull targets. There are some exceptions at very large matches like the national matches at Camp Perry and Midwest Palma at Lodi, WI where there would be too many cars to fit into the liter parking. At those matches, a trolley, bus, etc is always provided. There may be a match somewhere where walking is mandatory, but I'd have to think that any match director worth their salt will be able to accommodate someone with a legitimate physical issue. Don't let the leg keep you from trying a match, you most likely enjoy it very much.

Good luck,
Erik

awesome. Thank you guys for the very helpfull info. @ Dan, about a 5hr drive isn't bad (in my books) and sounds interesting! Just trying to avoid the matches where over a mile would be very painful considering I have heard a lot are held in fields and hiking could be on the agenda. Im very much looking forward to meeting a lot of cool people in this new venture.
Great link for where to shoot Gstaylorg! @ Erud, thanks for explaining and taking a huge worry off my mind!

Last edited:
Sorefoot, there are several F-class matches per year in Oak Ridge at ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportsman's Association). You park very close to where you shoot, so walking is minimal. If the matches in Virginia are a bit too far, Oak Ridge is a lot closer. How are you with standing up and sitting down kinda often? The reason I ask is when you work the pits to pull targets, you do a lot of that. ORSA offers both 600 yard and 1000 yard matches, but be prepared to have to read some crazy wind.