• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors FA762SS interest going into 2020?

hodgo

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2018
Soon to be the owner of an M40A5 clone, so I've been researching Surefire FA762SS availability. Essentially, they're still made but only purchasable in minimum quantities from Surefire.

Are there still folks interested in these? I was thinking a group buy in partnership with a Hide friendly FFL might be one way of getting a few more of these cans out there. What are the rest of you with M40s/XM3s/Gladius (Gladii?) doing?

Reactions: LSUbeatUby40
How many do you need to get them to produce a batch?

If you can get your hands on one you won't regret it... they are great cans!
DW

+1. They are awesome. Zero poi relative to unsuppressed and very quiet. I wear only regular earbuds when shooting and really dont need them. Can also be used with the win mag...Well worth the coin.

Reactions: deltawiskey
+1. They are awesome. Zero poi relative to unsuppressed and very quiet. I wear only regular earbuds when shooting and really dont need them. Can also be used with the win mag...Well worth the coin.

+2, love the SS, have three of them. Pretty well Hollywood quiet with 308 subs. It tames 300WBY mag nicely, too (a bit more pressure than Win mag so I called SF and got their blessing). I don't need another but if you have the opportunity get one.

If anyone is looking for one I have a friend of a friend ordering a batch from Surefire. One is mine. They quoted him 60 days. Price is $1525. Not sure if that includes shipping. This guy is a good friend of a lifelong friend. They served together.

He’s ordering very soon so contact him immediately and put a deposit down. PM me for contact details.

If anyone is looking for one I have a friend of a friend ordering a batch from Surefire. One is mine. They quoted him 60 days. Price is $1525. Not sure if that includes shipping. This guy is a good friend of a lifelong friend. They served together.

He’s ordering very soon so contact him immediately and put a deposit down. PM me for contact details.

Thats a smoking price. If anyone is on the fence, go for it.

Reactions: Mooncake
Soon to be the owner of an M40A5 clone, so I've been researching Surefire FA762SS availability. Essentially, they're still made but only purchasable in minimum quantities from Surefire.

Are there still folks interested in these? I was thinking a group buy in partnership with a Hide friendly FFL might be one way of getting a few more of these cans out there. What are the rest of you with M40s/XM3s/Gladius (Gladii?) doing?

I've got a Gladius that could use one.

And yippee!!!

That's one hard to find motherfucker I can put behind me I hope. We'll see in a couple months when they come in, then in a couple more when the form3 processes, then maybe by Christmas I can start the year long wait for the form4!!!

While the unwashed masses are making demands and getting 'em, we need to go put an end to this NFA shit. If WE don't want it, WE don't really need to tolerate it.

I don't know if he has another, you can check, but if he does it'll be in black...

is that the one that goes on a MB762SSAL/RE brake?
if so, i am tempted to pay for one for somebody else to hold until lawlessness takes over and he can send it to me.
california sucks for hearing protection.

is that the one that goes on a MB762SSAL/RE brake?
if so, i am tempted to pay for one for somebody else to hold until lawlessness takes over and he can send it to me.
california sucks for hearing protection.

Yes it is.

I'm in for one..

Were you able to get on the list? He had another?

So these mounts, I wanna set something straight. I was having a hard time finding these, there are two: CA762SSAL/RE and MB762SSAL/RE, one is a compensator (looks like A2 comp./flash hider) other is a two chamber brake. The compensator is discontinued and they go for what you're willing to pay for it. The brake on the other hand, is rare to find in stock, true, but it's a product of being a part for suppressor that is in fact sorta rare and only made in batches on top of being a legacy part. So stores don't keep it in stock, why keep something in stock you may not sell this year or at all? But when I called Surefire, they not only still make 'em, but they have 'em on the shelf ready to ship.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Surefire WILL deal direct with personal sales of veterans, military and le, you just have to submit your bonafides and you're gtg. Otherwise you can still order through any of the dealers (which in all honest would probably be cheaper than direct but having a .mil account with these companies can be worth more than money sometimes). MSRP is $199, actual real life pricing averages $135 or so based on the samples I took.

Oh yeah, SV Mounts look similar but don't work. They're also probably costly as hell because SV was discontinued and replaced by SS. SV was a contract customer supplied specs for the original Mk20 --SS is the better of the two, better latch, etc.

Don't forget about the MB556SSN 1/2x28 which was made in a limited run and is about as hard to find (or harder) than the CA762SSAL/RE.

Surefire account setup was fast! I paid more for it, $180 shipped, but having an account with Surefire will pay off more in the end I'm sure, just like it always does with these kinds of mfg.'s. A guy on here turned down an offer of $110 for one he wasn't using, they go for $135 on average from most dealers, it's just a special order item. I was about to do that until I found out I can get an account with Surefire.

So DO NOT pay the $350 for ones on GB... They aren't rare or hard to get, just hard to find. Probably gotta order from a dealer or setup an account if you can.

Don't forget about the MB556SSN 1/2x28 which was made in a limited run and is about as hard to find (or harder) than the CA762SSAL/RE.

Didn't ask about 5.56, but the CA762SSAL/RE IS impossible to get unless you find one in the wild. I guess maybe the $220 or whatever they were asking on Ebay for one is worth it? Anyway, they do not make it anymore, I tried to order both. And they recommend the brake anyway, they say it doesn't affect accuracy the way the KAC MAMS does (which sucks because MAMS is so bad ass otherwise).

I think the brake does a good job. Haven't tried it vs the naked barrel, so can't talk about any shift there. With can mounted, I get about a 1.5 MOA shift. But is is consistent. Groups tighten up with can on too and it adds about 10-15 fps with 118LR. Build is a spec M40A5.

It does suppress 5.56 well too, but the trick is finding the mount or having a barrel threaded in 5/8.

One word of advice based only experience - make sure your gunsmith follows the instructions for the mount. I know it sounds silly and seems common sense, but the can will not lock up properly if they do not. Surefire provides all of the needed shims and instructions, but even the old 2112 who built rifle, didn't quite get it right. Guess he built too many A3s and below.

I think the brake does a good job. Haven't tried it vs the naked barrel, so can't talk about any shift there. With can mounted, I get about a 1.5 MOA shift. But is is consistent. Groups tighten up with can on too and it adds about 10-15 fps with 118LR. Build is a spec M40A5.

It does suppress 5.56 well too, but the trick is finding the mount or having a barrel threaded in 5/8.

One word of advice based only experience - make sure your gunsmith follows the instructions for the mount. I know it sounds silly and seems common sense, but the can will not lock up properly if they do not. Surefire provides all of the needed shims and instructions, but even the old 2112 who built rifle, didn't quite get it right. Guess he built too many A3s and below.
Very interesting, I don't get any shift with my can mounted. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has a shift with the can.
DW

I get no shift with the 5.56 mount. But do with the 30 cal mount. Have one more of each mount, but haven't built the hosts to test it yet.

My theory (not really backed by much) is that a portion of the shift is from slight misalignments and gas pressures / disturbances. There is more error to be had with the 5.56 than with the 30 cal, so wouldn't expect shift with it. Would guess it has more to do with the rifle threads vs the can (one can hope anyway).

All of that being said, have a scout sniper friend who indicated that that was not abnormal to see a shift of that magnitude. Some saw it, some didn't. Not sure on the sample size of that.

Holy hell. Is it still possible to get in on this?

You can try dude. I don't know if I got the last one or not, he didn't say, but I think the order has been placed either way. Black only, like it matters, right?

Is this the point of the alignment rod?

Anyone know if the Mk20 needs the stupid ring with this brake?

Hopefully Surefire includes good instructions if it's not the usual loctite and drive on installation.

I could have really went with any can, even a better one at a better cost (considering) but FN has some funky warranty shit going on regarding suppressors. It will be nice to compare it with the QDC though and see who had the better idea. Next year some time. If not 2022...

The alignment rod only does so good when you are measuring by eye. Have them, and always use them. However, if the alignment is off by juusssst a hair, but still clears all the baffles you may or may not detect it. If you do there is not much you can do unless you want to cut and rethread and try for a better job.

They are a great tool, but have their limitations. For me, they are to ensure there is clearance from all suppressor parts. They indicate a go/no go situation, not necessarily an exact measurement or how well it will perform. Also, even though they theoretically should be straight, what if they have a slight runout?

I think I figured out the deal but need to confirm it first.

Nothing I can really do about excessive runout except rethread the barrel. I don't think FN will do this but I do think that FN probably got it right in the first place given these are the same barrels that go in the true Mk20.

I figure that if the mount isn't indexed and torqued properly that you could have problems?

I think I'll stick with looking for an eclipse at the end of the bore for now or using a piece of bar stock or similar in lieu.

I'll also be putting in a call with Surefire and FN next week about this too. I kinda get the idea people are making more out of it than it is, but I still wanna get to the bottom of it. And do it right. I still don't see how it's any different than indexing any other brake, but whatever, better safe than sorry.

For anyone that ordered through Dan based on my post above. He emailed me this morning. Sounds like the suppressors are manufactured and will be en route to him via distributor shortly. He will likely be reaching out to you to confirm your interest and arrange payment.

Reactions: hodgo and theLBC
Can confirm, just got off the phone to secure mine. Now just a long, stupid wait and my A5 is complete!

I guess a few didn’t pay so I was able to get a second. Not sure I need two but figured I’d get them while I could.

I just locked one in a few days ago that I had been waiting on for 4 months to get to the dealer, so stoked! Seems like SF still puts them out just in very small quantities.

I was able to order one from RWS Gunsmithing https://www.rwsgunsmithing.com hes also a member on here. I hit him up 4 months ago and he said he had two on the way and one was spoken for so I put a deposit down on the second one. They both came in last week. Might be worth a shot to DM him on here or FB and see if hes getting anymore from Surefire.