• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Factory bolt action rifle

brad.allen7

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
I want a 6.5 creedmoor that'll be used for hunting long range in addition to shooting on my 1,000 yrd range. Not going to be used for competition at all. I have a budget of $2,000 for the rifle itself, already have glass. I've been doing extensive reading and am about to the conclusion that getting a tikka t3x, putting a mcmillan chassis on it (really because I don't love the way they look) and possibly upgrading the trigger is the best I can really do. I know I may be asking for something that doesn't exist, however, my goal is to be able to shoot .5 moa with factory ammo at 100 yrds.

If anybody has any other ideas that may get me more bang for my buck, let me know.

Pick up a defiance tenacity or bighorn origin for about $900 add a TriggerTech Trigger for about $180 and Criterion remage barrel on the tenacity about $350 or criterion savage on the bighorn for about $350 and a KRG Bravo for $350. For less than $2k you’ll have a damn fine rifle.

Pick up a defiance tenacity or bighorn origin for about $900 add a TriggerTech Trigger for about $180 and Criterion remage barrel on the tenacity about $350 or criterion savage on the bighorn for about $350 and a KRG Bravo for $350. For less than $2k you’ll have a damn fine rifle.
okay ill have to look at doing that rather than just doing a factory rifle. thanks.

i do like tikka and the tac a1 but its a bit too heavy I think for a hunting rifle. thanks for the reply though!

Understood but 11.2 pounds is a pretty handy weight for a rifle of the type you are asking about.
You could definitely shave some off and taylor the weight and specs to better suite you going the custom DIY route.

6.5 CM Sig cross when it's finally on market? Accuracy looks on point, as does budget and weight. Barrel's a little short for a 6.5, but that may not bother you.

If you're concerned about weight, it's going to add cost, but here's a hypothetical breakdown:

Bighorn Origin - $825
Proof prefit - $830
Triggertech - $180
KRG Bravo - $350

Total is $2,185 plus base and rings.

Reactions: Mrindecisive
If you're concerned about weight, it's going to add cost, but here's a hypothetical breakdown:

Bighorn Origin - $825
Proof prefit - $830
Triggertech - $180
KRG Bravo - $350

let me ask this. comparing what u just priced out to a tikka ctr which is about $1,000, is that rifle actually worth spending the $1,000 extra over the tikka?

Reactions: HK-93
let me ask this. comparing what u just priced out to a tikka ctr which is about $1,000, is that rifle actually worth spending the $1,000 extra over the tikka?
Well a $1k for rifle $200 for trigger and $350 on stock. I would get the custom vs the factory tikka.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Tikka's are nice little rifles for the money. The one thing I dislike is the lack of triggers available. Timney and KRG make decent 2 stages, Jard makes a decent single stage. After that, you are up into a Bix'n Andy for about $500. That being said, if you do not want a super light trigger, the factory trigger with a $10 yodave spring is actually pretty nice, that is what I have been using on my NRL22 rifle.

When I was in the market to replace my Savage I went the route of a Bighorn with a 6.5cm Criterion prefit. I put it in a KRG Bravo and used a Bix'n Andy Tac Sport trigger. Turned out to be a very nice rifle capable of doing anything I wanted it to do. A 12 in. plate at 1500 yards was no problem as long as I got my wind call right.

Honestly, I dont think you can go wrong either way, however if we were voting, I would go Bighorn for a couple of reason. It is hard to beat a custom/semi custom action based on a 700, there are so many bits and pieces available. Also, if there comes a time that you want to sell it to upgrade, from my experience the custom action will hold its value better. I just sold mine to build a Kelbly Atlas Tactical in .223 and got a far better return than I have from any factory rifle I have ever sold.

Bighorn Origin - $825
Proof prefit - $830
Triggertech - $180
KRG Bravo - $350

Not listed is the cost of an action wrench, barrel vice, wrench for whatever type of barrel nut you use, torque wrench if you don't allready have one and go - no go guages to verify proper headspace.

Reactions: jcmullis2
Not listed is the cost of an action wrench, barrel vice, wrench for whatever type of barrel nut you use, torque wrench if you don't allready have one and go - no go guages to verify proper headspace.
which I have none of besides the torque wrench. Maybe I pay somebody to put it together for me, I have a gunsmith close and I don't plan on building these on a regular basis.

anybody ever done this or know ballpark cost?

Okay, any other barrels you like other than proof? criterion, krieger?
Bartlein and Brux. However the Criterion remage style on tenacity or Criterion Savage for a Origin are much less. My criterion shoots 1/2moa and better for $350. The other barrels will cost about $800 -$1000 and might shoot 1/4moa might. That said I would spend the extra money if I wasn’t gonna shoot that much.

Bartlein and Brux. However the Criterion remage style on tenacity or Criterion Savage for a Origin are much less. My criterion shoots 1/2moa and better for $350. The other barrels will cost about $800 -$1000 and might shoot 1/4moa might. That said I would spend the extra money if I wasn’t gonna shoot that much.
I do plan on shooting a lot more, however, do you think you'll get those groupings with factory ammo? I don't ever plan on handloading.

which I have none of besides the torque wrench. Maybe I pay somebody to put it together for me, I have a gunsmith close and I don't plan on building these on a regular basis.

Yep. Action wrench $60 barrel vise $100 and gauges about $80 and Barrel nut $40. A Smith would do it for less than $100 around here. It’s not a big job.

Reactions: brad.allen7

There are many generous souls on the 'hide. If you post your general location someone nearby with tools and a workshop might PM you...

I support your original plan of a factory Tikka dropped into a Manners, McMillian, or other as the best bang for your buck. Didn't quite follow you on the "McMillian chassis on it (really because I don't love the way they look) " in regard to your preference for a more traditional stock v. chassis, but several options available for both...unless its for a LA LH Tikka. With your budget and intended use, it makes a lot of sense to me. You can always spin on a new barrel or swap in a different trigger if you feel the rifle is lacking, but I don't think you'll feel handicapped by a factory Tikka barreled action.

I do plan on shooting a lot more, however, do you think you'll get those groupings with factory ammo? I don't ever plan on handloading.
I got between 1/2-3/4 with factory Hornady eld 147gn I believe and 143gn did a little better in mine. Every barrel likes different ammo so you have to figure out what shoots best but Hornady does great in 6.5cm and so does Fgmm

The most hassle free choice that really would not require any extra upgrasdes would be either the Tikka T3x UPR, it comes with the sturdier stock and it's still light enough to carry while hunting, or the Bergara HMR, either the B14 or the Pro version. I've a Tikka t3x CTR and i think the trigger is very good, it is crisp and can be adjusted to about 2 pounds which is plenty light enough for hunting and general shooting conditions.

That's something you have to ask yourself. You're going to have to figure out what matters to you.

Many hunters view a controlled round feed action as being especially desirable in a hunting setting. Is a controlled round feed action something you want?

Carbon fiber barrels can shave weight from the rifle. Is the weight savings of a carbon fiber barrel worth the additional cost?

Are you okay with the factory trigger of the Tikka?

Is the rifle comfortable to carry for extended periods of time and can you be comfortable "behind the gun" for extended periods?

Do you plan on doing more customization in the future? A Bighorn action is Remington 700 compatible and virtually any rifle builder will be comfortable working with that action. Is that important to you?

The most hassle free choice that really would not require any extra upgrasdes would be either the Tikka T3x UPR, it comes with the sturdier stock and it's still light enough to carry while hunting, or the Bergara HMR, either the B14 or the Pro version. I've a Tikka t3x CTR and i think the trigger is very good, it is crisp and can be adjusted to about 2 pounds which is plenty light enough for hunting and general shooting conditions.

My nephew bought a B14 HMR in 7mm mag. I was extremely impressed with such a smooth, consistent gun, especially for the price-point.

Reactions: jpspeeddemon
FWIW, my tikka CTR has been consistently in the .75 moa range with factory Hornady American gunner (doesn't seem to be much better with 'match' ammo). Trigger adjusted down to about 1.7 lbs with the internal set screw.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200923-163056.png
    Screenshot_20200923-163056.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20200923-163506.png
    Screenshot_20200923-163506.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20200923-163458.png
    Screenshot_20200923-163458.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20200923-163422.png
    Screenshot_20200923-163422.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Get a custom action, barrel, trigger, and stock. If you can‘t afford it save a little bit longer. Why buy a rifle that you plan to use only the barreled action. Buy once cry once.

Some months ago, I was here on the Hide, asking pretty much the same question. Though your rifle budget is higher than mine, I spent probably two months researching rifles from $1000-$2000 range. Quite a few members of the Community recommended the Bergara B14 HMR. For a while there, I was almost lured away by the HMR Pro. The bottom line was the B14 HMR had everything I needed, and everything worked beyond my expectations. Why spend another $500-$600 when I'm just learning. I bought good glass, and I'm now just learning the rifle and improving my shooting!

Barrett Fieldcraft if you can find one.
Specifications
Caliber:6.5 Creedmoor
Weight:5.15lbs / 2.34kg
Rifle Overall Length:38.9" / 988.06mm
Action:Bolt
Trigger:Single Stage Timney Trigger
Safety:Two-Position
Rifle Barrel Length:18"
Rifle Barrel Twist:1:8"
Barrel Thread Pitch5/8x24
Rifle Stock:Hand-Laid Carbon Fiber
Scope Mount:Talley mounts
Magazines Included:Top-loaded 4 round blind magazine
Iron SightsNo
Caliber or Gauge:6.5 Creedmoor

Tikka doen't "need" a new trigger, you an get it under 1lb with a spring change. Easily under two lbs stock. My bergara is nice but the tikka trigger is better. I'd look for a CTR and put it a bravo for a combo hunting/target rig.

Keystone Accuracy has a barreled action bighorn origin for $1225. Add a KRG bravo and a trigger and you should be under 2k for a very nice rifle. Bravos for 700 footprint actions come up in the PX all the time for ~$300. That path eliminates the need to get the action wrench and go gauges. Having the origin action makes any future modifications a lot easier than the Tikka.

Get a custom action, barrel, trigger, and stock. If you can‘t afford it save a little bit longer. Why buy a rifle that you plan to use only the barreled action. Buy once cry once.
what about a bighorn barelled action? any reason to or not to do that?

Defiance Tenacity, Criterion prefit and Triggertech special trigger. Stock chassis of your liking. I prefer a KRG bravo but there are other options in your budget.

what about a bighorn barelled action? any reason to or not to do that?
The short answer is probably not. Bighorn origin actions are darn good. The long answer is it depends on how much and what barrel. If it’s less than $1600 with a new shouldered barrel it’s a fine choice. If the barrel is new and is a barrel nut setup and is less than $1250 it’s a damn good choice too. If you have a line on one within those prices I’d grab it up. If the cost is much more or the barrel isn’t new I’d pass. I don’t like to buy used barrels as you never really know what you’re getting.

I want a 6.5 creedmoor that'll be used for hunting long range in addition to shooting on my 1,000 yrd range. Not going to be used for competition at all. I have a budget of $2,000 for the rifle itself, already have glass. I've been doing extensive reading and am about to the conclusion that getting a tikka t3x, putting a mcmillan chassis on it (really because I don't love the way they look) and possibly upgrading the trigger is the best I can really do. I know I may be asking for something that doesn't exist, however, my goal is to be able to shoot .5 moa with factory ammo at 100 yrds.

If anybody has any other ideas that may get me more bang for my buck, let me know.
I have been using a Christensen Arms MPR in 6.5 CM it’s lighter that the tikka and I have had zero issues with the gun and I use it for nothing but hunting long range. But, it is a little more than your 2k.

Buy tikka T3x lite in 6.5 creedmoor for $600. Strip it to action and sell barrel/spare parts for minimum $150. Buy proof prefit $830. Buy KRG bravo for $350. Buy trigger spring for $10.

That gives you a a sub 8lbs rifle for $1650 that should shoot just as well as any custom with prefits and will be smoother than most. Trigger won’t go as light as a TT diamond but is a great trigger and should be able to get down to just under 1lbs no problem.

OP, everyone is making great suggestions, and as you see there are a lot of ways to stretch your dollar, but i think if you want to buy something that is totally ready to go and meets all you specs it's the Tikka T3x UPR. No need to get a new stock, it's an improvement over their plastic CTR stock (which is not that bad either and shoots just fine and plenty durable unless you are banging it on barricades frequently which you are not per your OP), the trigger is crisp and light enough for your work (no need to a 1 lb trigger if your hunting or casual range days), rifle is very accurate and Tikka's accuracy is well documented (i can vouch too, i run a ctr), and it's light because the CTR contour barrel is not a heavy-it's in-between a light an heavy contour. Spend $1400 on the gun and 600 on ammo or training and go shoot.

Reactions: Luke G
The above comment would also be a great option!

Another factory option is Seekins, they come in under $2000 (sometimes lots under on sale or with a coupon). They have a 7lb option for hunting or a 10lb that comes in a KRG Bravo. Mine does under .5 MOA with 2 of the 4 kinds of factory ammo I have tried in it. The more I shoot it the more I like it- I actually prefer it over 2 builds on custom actions.

If you really want a factory rifle instead of a custom then consider the Badrock Southfork with a Defiance action:
Or the Ashbury Precision Odnance Sniper's Hide Special Edition Saber M700:
I'd consider both of these semi-custom for the price of a higher end factory rifle.