• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Factory Rem700 with Timney issue

BWB

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
SD
Has anyone else experienced extremely heavy bolt lift after installing a Timney? Only while re-cocking does the issue occur, runs perfect until I pull the trigger.

Factory trigger works perfectly, but after installing a Timney Calving Elite the bolt lift easily doubled. Re-installed the factory trigger and no issues. Any ideas?

What kind of bottom metal you running? I have a 510 Timney in a manners mini chassis and I had to ream out some of the bottom metal around the trigger to get it to fit properly. When I first fit the trigger into the action it had some resistance when locking the bolt and once completely locked down would either fire, or fire if I touched the bolt let alone the trigger as the fit between the BM and the trigger was so tight. Bolt lift was no issue but its been years so there may have been but just don't remember, however its a different model. Still sounds like you may have some binding somewhere causing a heavy bolt lift.

I pulled the barreled action out of the stock because I thought the same thing. Behaves exactly the same in or out of the stock.

Uh mm interestimg. I'm looking into getting a timney but after this, maybe I should get a different one?

I haven't tried any other brands but I don't think it's a trigger issue persay. I put the trigger in a Deviant and it works fine but there is something different enough from the factory trigger this receiver/bolt doesn't like. I'd like to try another aftermarket trigger to see what the deal is. I have other rifles with Timney triggers and they are fine. I tried a 517 out ofa nm other rifle and it was worse yet in this same action.

The cocking piece is probably pushing down on the sear and bottoming it out. Heavy bolt lift is from forcing the cocking piece back over the bottomed out sear. The CE do not have much sear travel. You could try to file a little off of the bottom of the cocking piece. The trigger pin holes in that action may be a little off or worn, cocking piece a little large, Im not sure. Dont see this trigger issue it too often on the 700's but it does happen from time to time.

I had this issue years ago with a 510 and called Timney. They instructed me to remove approximately one coil from the trigger spring. That solved the problem for me. Not sure if the CE has a similar design. I'd call Timney tomorrow and discuss with them, they are great to deal with.

Last edited:
I have had this issue with the Timney 510 in my older BDL (90's era). The resistance was from the cocking piece as it slides over the sear. Its like the trigger was sitting too high in the action. I tried a little bit of grease, but it just would not work. Funny thing is I installed the same trigger on my SPS tac and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the replies fellas, going to all time tomorrow and see what they recommend.

The cocking piece is probably pushing down on the sear and bottoming it out. Heavy bolt lift is from forcing the cocking piece back over the bottomed out sear. The CE do not have much sear travel. You could try to file a little off of the bottom of the cocking piece. The trigger pin holes in that action may be a little off or worn, cocking piece a little large, Im not sure. Dont see this trigger issue it too often on the 700's but it does happen from time to time.

This. Mark nailed it. Shave a little off the cocking piece. Tolerance issue. Doesn't happen often and I wouldn't blame the trigger.

Mark Kuczka
Accurate Ordnance

I shaved quite a bit off the cocking piece last night, it's way shorter now than the cocking piece on the other bolt that works. I trimmed a coil off the spring, nothing worked. Should I keep shaving the cocking piece more? I ordered an aftermarket firing pin assembly last night to try and see if that solves the issue also. I am in agreement that this isn't the triggers fault, it works perfectly in my other Rem 700 action and my Defiance.

I also had the same problem with a 510. Timney told me to cut a coil off of the spring. If that didn't help cut a little more. I had to cut about a coil and a half and it worked fine. I'd call Timney

I called yesterday and they said they've "heard" of this issue with the 510 but never the CE and didn't have any advice. Wanted me to check back in with what I found...I just don't see how it's the firing pin spring if the factory trigger works fine, I could be missing something though. With the new assembly on the way I'll be much more adventurous with what I'm filing and cutting. I'll file more off the cocking piece and then maybe take a little more off the spring to see what happens.

The spring I was told to trim is in the top of the trigger assembly. If you push out the front pin (toward chamber) it is under the piece of metal that the bolt rides on. Sorry for the poor description. I don't know the name of each trigger part. In my case, I had extremely hard bolt lift. It went back to normal after trimming the spring. I could be way off, but your situation sounds exactly like mine.

The spring I was told to trim is in the top of the trigger assembly. If you push out the front pin (toward chamber) it is under the piece of metal that the bolt rides on. Sorry for the poor description. I don't know the name of each trigger part. In my case, I had extremely hard bolt lift. It went back to normal after trimming the spring. I could be way off, but your situation sounds exactly like mine.

So the spring you trimmed was in the trigger itself and not part of the bolt assembly? I don't feel that adventurous, haha.

It's not that big of a deal. I don't remember who I talked to at Timney but he told me that worst case scenario they would send me a new spring for free.
I'm surprised they didn't tell you how to do it. It fixed my problem.