• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Factory sbr and multiple uppers

buckskin52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
western PA
Looking at buying a factory Daniel defense mk18 sbr. I googled the hell out of having multiple uppers of various calibers for one registered sbr lower. I thought I figured it out that it was ok as long as you have the original upper and can reassemble the gun as it was registered. So I posed that question to the dealer in an email, and his response that since it was a factory sbr it could not have multiple uppers. Any input is appreciated. Two nights of google search has me confused by my dealers response.

Yes you can have multiple uppers in various calibers and barrel lengths for one AR lower that is a Sbr. Doesn't matter who made it. The Atf does not consider an upper swap to be a permanent change on the firearm so you can swap uppers. When I get into work I can get the exact capter and section from the Atf Nfa handbook.

Try having a look at ATFs website and the FAQ on SBR/SBS. In reality the upper isn't anything so there is no reg preventing you from owning as many as you want. They will fit pistols as well so there isn't any reason not to have them. As noted above there isn't really any such thing as a permanent change with an AR since 2 pins will allow you to swap any upper onto the lower. This means whoever told you factory guns can't be swapped is wrong. You can put any upper you want on it and swap around as you wish. Please note that the SBR thing isn't a registered receiver but a combination of the short barrel on a receiver. This means you can legally take off your short upper and sell it, put an upper with a 16" or longer barrel back on and sell the thing to someone as a title one firearm. Its all on the ATF site.....

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

For some reason people seem to believe they need more restrictions than the laws and regs intend so learn the regs to help yourself.

Hope that helps

Frank

You register the lower not the upper and once it's an SBR it's always an SBR unless you tell the ATF to strike it from the registry. If you rid yourself the original SBR upper for a new one, the ATF asks that you contact them to update the registry.

The ATF's website cites a specific example where you can put a standard (>16") upper on an SBR registered lower and travel with rifle to a state that doesn't allow SBRs. I don't know what is compelling your dealer to say what you wrote unless he misunderstood you.

Most NFA dealers are just like most gun shop employees. Knowledgable enough to point the average customer in a vaguely ok direction, but not experts.

Most NFA dealers are just like most gun shop employees. Knowledgable enough to point the average customer in a vaguely ok direction, but not experts.

THIS!!!!!!!!!! I am lucky and mine is pretty slick but 99% that I have talked know significantly less than most of the members here about the laws and even the products.