• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Failure to Feed on .300BLK Noveske

DeltaDan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
USA
I Just put together and got back from the range with my new .300BLK build but I am having some problems with FTF.
It has a 8inch Noveske barrel(m4 feed ramps and lower is for m4), plain Noveske upper and Larue F/A bolt carrier. I tried HK magazines, USGI with magpul followers and Pmags. I have been shooting PNW arms range ammo. What's happening is that the rounds are getting hung up on the feed ramps on either the bullet or the case which stops the bolt from slamming home. sometimes a mag slap will work to clear it and sometimes there are no misfeeds for 1/2 a magazine. I can replicate the problem by cycling rounds through by hand. Any ideas?

EDIT: Problem solved.

Re: Failure to Feed on .300BLK Noveske

You're going to have issues due to pressure with that barrel. You'll either need to run suppressed, supersonic ammo or you can try to open the gas port. Just know that if you choose to go the last route you will over pressure if you run supersonic suppressed. If you read the descriptions on various sites about that barrel it even states that it wont cycle unsuppressed subsonic ammo.

I know that it's not supposed to cycle subsonic without a suppressor. The problem is with supersonic and cambering rounds in general.

I didn't see you say anything other than subsonic ammo. Does the same thing with magazines you've seen working in other rifles? What buffer & spring are you running?

Using USGI spring and H buffer, also tried a chrome silicone spring with same results.

And you're 100% sure those mags feed ammo fine in other rifles?

Check your ejector rod or feed ramps! Feed ramps may need to be polished or the ejector rod could be protruding out past the bolt face enough to not let the case head seat properly into the bolt, causing it to jam as it tries to feed. If the ejector rod is the problem, just shorten it enough to clear the bolt face & you should be good to go. But sounds more like a bullet choice problem. Try a different brand of ammo. Let us know what happens.

Yes, mags work fine on my 5.56 rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: country888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check your ejector rod or feed ramps! Feed ramps may need to be polished or the ejector rod could be protruding out past the bolt face enough to not let the case head seat properly into the bolt, causing it to jam as it tries to feed. If the ejector rod is the problem, just shorten it enough to clear the bolt face & you should be good to go. But sounds more like a bullet choice problem. Try a different brand of ammo. Let us know what happens. </div></div>
ejector rod looks in spec.
I'm pretty sure the feed ramps are at fault, I removed the bolt and tried pushing a round from the magazine into the chamber with a screwdriver, it gets hung up on the bullet ogive right where the ramp turns into a square notch. Should I try to polish down the ramps and sharp corners a little bit?

I had a similar kind of issue when I switched to a rifle length buffer tube on my POF308, I did change the buffer to a rifle length but the spring I didn't since I was told that setup was going to work. ummm WRONG the spring was an inch and a half shorter than the stock armalite AR10 buffer spring. Perhaps your spring isn't up for the task?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supermoto917</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a similar kind of issue when I switched to a rifle length buffer tube on my POF308, I did change the buffer to a rifle length but the spring I didn't since I was told that setup was going to work. ummm WRONG the spring was an inch and a half shorter than the stock armalite AR10 buffer spring. Perhaps your spring isn't up for the task? </div></div>
That's what I first thought to, tried a very stiff spring that's a bit longer to and still gets hung up. You can see little V notches on the bullet where the feed ramps are cutting into them. Trying to get in touch with Noveske today.

I would try different ammo before i did anything else. If it hangs up different ammo then you know it must be the rifle. Then I would check the feed ramps & maybe polish them.

Get those feed ramps polished out and knock off the sharp corners on top of each side of the feed ramps. Odds are there are very sharp straight lines on the bullet and case neck, indicating that they are a problem. If it runs ok for part of a magazine, and the problem is kind of back and forth that is where I would start.

I ended up sending my 300 to Noveske where they kept it for about a month, test fired it and said it was working fine, then after a number of phone calls/emails they did ship it back for $20 and now miraculously it is functioning as it should with all of my mags and ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're going to have issues due to pressure with that barrel. You'll either need to run suppressed, supersonic ammo or you can try to open the gas port. Just know that if you choose to go the last route you will over pressure if you run supersonic suppressed. If you read the descriptions on various sites about that barrel it even states that it wont cycle unsuppressed subsonic ammo. </div></div>

the whole point of the .300 BLK is to be able to run in any configuration.

I remember reading this somewhere, but I can't find it now. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This is good information, as I am considering the Noveske 300 BLK.

I have a similar feed issue with my LWRC, the ogive on the 180gr. VLD round will not feed from the mag(s), however, the 175gr. Sierra match king is perfect.

Is there that must of an issue with the 300 BLK and un-suppressed sub-sonic ammo; or will it not cycle at all? That is the mode in which I was going to use it.

polish the feed ramps, I had some feed problems after polishing and blunting the sharp edges everything feeds.

I just put one together with a 8" saturn barrel from a vender here on the hide. It shoot fine with subs unsuppressed. I also have a 16" noveske blkout & it cycles ok with subs unsuppressed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NatD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is there that must of an issue with the 300 BLK and un-suppressed sub-sonic ammo; or will it not cycle at all? That is the mode in which I was going to use it.
</div></div>
The reason the noveske barrels wont cycle subs well unsuppressed is because the gas port is smaller than other barrels. They did this so it is not over gassed when using a suppressor and subs like they are intended to be used. I can't see a reason why people would want to shoot subs unsuppressed other than for testing purposes. I have tried it and some brands of subs actually cycled fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're going to have issues due to pressure with that barrel. You'll either need to run suppressed, supersonic ammo or you can try to open the gas port. Just know that if you choose to go the last route you will over pressure if you run supersonic suppressed. If you read the descriptions on various sites about that barrel it even states that it wont cycle unsuppressed subsonic ammo. </div></div>

I remember reading this somewhere, but I can't find it now. someone correct me if I'm wrong. </div></div>

Yeah, what do I know. I've been shooting two 9" AAC factory uppers suppressed & unsuppressed but what would I know?

Any of these barrels running about 10" or less have potential issues cycling subs w/o a suppressor do to gas pressures. In fact, if you read the description from most vendors selling the 8" Noveske or 9" AAC barrels they will even say that they are not intended to cycle subs unsuppressed. So, don't take my word for it just read what the barrel manufacturers say about their own barrels.

Rainier Arms 10" 300BLK barrel here

Rainier Arms 8" 300BLK barrel here

Both of which state the following: "The Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT is NOT designed to cycle the action with subsonic ammunition unless a silencer is attached."

I even went with the 1" longer 9" AAC barrels because some people on certain forums said they had no issues but I personally haven't been able to cycle 220gr subsonic ammo unsuppressed. You can argue with me if you want but I posted that to warn others since I went into it thinking things would be fine. They weren't and others should be made aware of this since this setup is gaining popularity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NatD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
The reason the noveske barrels wont cycle subs well unsuppressed is because the gas port is smaller than other barrels. They did this so it is not over gassed when using a suppressor and subs like they are intended to be used. I can't see a reason why people would want to shoot subs unsuppressed other than for testing purposes. I have tried it and some brands of subs actually cycled fine. </div></div>

The question isn't what people would <span style="font-style: italic">want</span> to use but what people might <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> to use. If someone likes the short systems running subs in a suppressed configuration for self/home defense (likely since this is one popular reasons for this round) and has a baffle strike or some reason to need to strip the can yet continue firing the fact that the rifle becomes a single shot system that requires a manual cycle to fire each round is catastrophic. As long as people know ALL of the facts before making their selection and building their rifle then it won't matter. Lots of people are moving forward on the inaccurate information that this isn't a concern with the shorter barrels.

My 8" Noveske cycles supersonic ammo fine, both with and without the suppressor attached.

It cycles subsonic perfectly with the can, but occasionally short strokes without it.

I'm fine with that, since it's really too much to ask any more than that (without an opened-up gas port and a variable gas block, which I see as way too much trouble, and impossible in a defensive situation anyway.)

If I'm having problems with baffle strikes using a particular brand of ammo, well...I would hope that I'd have discovered that LONG before a defensive situation arose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question isn't what people would <span style="font-style: italic">want</span> to use but what people might <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> to use. If someone likes the short systems running subs in a suppressed configuration for self/home defense (likely since this is one popular reasons for this round) and has a baffle strike or some reason to need to strip the can yet continue firing the fact that the rifle becomes a single shot system that requires a manual cycle to fire each round is catastrophic. As long as people know ALL of the facts before making their selection and building their rifle then it won't matter. Lots of people are moving forward on the inaccurate information that this isn't a concern with the shorter barrels. </div></div>
Right, if your life depends on a certain weapon system you better know it's limitations AND have a backup if it goes down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 8" Noveske cycles supersonic ammo fine, both with and without the suppressor attached.

It cycles subsonic perfectly with the can, but occasionally short strokes without it.

I'm fine with that, since it's really too much to ask any more than that (without an opened-up gas port and a variable gas block, which I see as way too much trouble, and impossible in a defensive situation anyway.)

If I'm having problems with baffle strikes using a particular brand of ammo, well...I would hope that I'd have discovered that LONG before a defensive situation arose. </div></div>

It's Murphy's law. If something can go wrong it will and at the worst possible time. We do a LOT of things to prepare for a situation that will likely never happen so if you keep a 8" or 9" AAC rifle loaded with subs and suppressed by a door or next to your bed you want to rule all all potential failure points and that's a pretty big one that it won't cycle w/o the can. There's no sense arguing the likelihood otherwise we would be doing that in EVERY thread of this forum. The bottom line is it IS possible and people need to be aware. Most who do their part to train with all ammo & weapons before putting them in a self defense situation will have tested those components thoroughly and will likely know this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question isn't what people would <span style="font-style: italic">want</span> to use but what people might <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> to use. If someone likes the short systems running subs in a suppressed configuration for self/home defense (likely since this is one popular reasons for this round) and has a baffle strike or some reason to need to strip the can yet continue firing the fact that the rifle becomes a single shot system that requires a manual cycle to fire each round is catastrophic. As long as people know ALL of the facts before making their selection and building their rifle then it won't matter. Lots of people are moving forward on the inaccurate information that this isn't a concern with the shorter barrels. </div></div>
Right, if your life depends on a certain weapon system you better know it's limitations AND have a backup if it goes down. </div></div>

Who says I wouldn't have a backup... if I had time to prepare. Time isn't always something we can control though. You have to plan for worse case scenario and you don't always get to pick and choose your ideal scenario. Personally, I make sure every weapon I own is capable of trusting my life to if I have to and if I keep one of my 9" AAC rifles suppressed and loaded with subs for potential HD or SD then I want to make sure it will run as expected in ALL situations.

I don't know why we're debating hypothetical situations where we have control of what's going down. We don't do that with anything else so why are we doing that now?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 8" Noveske cycles supersonic ammo fine, both with and without the suppressor attached.

If I'm having problems with baffle strikes using a particular brand of ammo, well...I would hope that I'd have discovered that LONG before a defensive situation arose. </div></div>

It's Murphy's law. If something can go wrong it will and at the worst possible time. We do a LOT of things to prepare for a situation that will likely never happen so if you keep a 8" or 9" AAC rifle loaded with subs and suppressed by a door or next to your bed you want to rule all all potential failure points and that's a pretty big one that it won't cycle w/o the can. There's no sense arguing the likelihood otherwise we would be doing that in EVERY thread of this forum. The bottom line is it IS possible and people need to be aware. Most who do their part to train with all ammo & weapons before putting them in a self defense situation will have tested those components thoroughly and will likely know this. </div></div>It won't be used without the can. That's my point. The odds of a failure with the can are very small (based on my experience so far.) There are other failure points involved (like mags) that concern me much more. None of them involve me shooting subs without a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It won't be used without the can. That's my point. The odds of a failure with the can are very small (based on my experience so far.) There are other failure points involved (like mags) that concern me much more. None of them involve me shooting subs without a can. </div></div>

Hilarious. You say it WON'T happen and then in the same breath you say the odds are very slim. So which is it? It's impossible or it's possible? If it's possible (which you just agreed) then it's a potential problem. That's ALL I've said. I warned the OP that if he planned to shoot subs w/o a can he would have issues. Which you also agreed. Holy crap people. Just stop!

Some people just live to argue on internet forums...

Hey man, I'm agreeing with you not arguing. I'm sure we are well ahead of 99.9% of people in terms of defending ourselves lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What fixed your issue?

</div></div>
No idea, Noveske claimed it was working fine.

Your post caught my interest.
I have the exact same issue with my Noveske 10" 300 BLK Barrel.
It only occurs with full power (recommended loads) 110 V-Max or 110 Sierra Varmenters.
That was also with my TBAC 30P-1 mounted.
The problem would go away when I had a magazine with more than 10 rounds in it.
I chocked it up to bolt velocity issues.

When Noveske was contacted, they also thought that it was bolt velocity issues and said that their barrel was designed for:
Supersonic Loads = No Suppressor
Subsonic Loads = Suppressor
If it runs in any other setup, that just gravy...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOVESKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"The Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT is NOT designed to cycle the action with subsonic ammunition unless a silencer is attached."
The design is not intended mainly for, or reliability tested around subsonic without a silencer because it would be at the expense of reliable supersonic function.
I'm also not making up the reliability aspect, the further from where the gun was tuned to run optimally the more malfunctions you will get.

"The Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT has not been designed to reliably cycle the action under adverse conditions with subsonic ammunition unless a silencer is attached. We recommend supersonic ammunition for Military, Law Enforcement, and Self Defense use without a silencer."</div></div>
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=73222
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=78008
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=72121

As you can see in this photo, my setup does not allow me to safely run it without the suppressor mounted.
P1010272_WEB.jpg

Since I built the upper specifically for subsonic use, I was not that concerned.
Additionally, the gun is perfectly gassed for subsonic suppressed use.
No extra gas in the face what so ever...

The feeding issues are not there when using the AAC 125 grain SMK bullets that are designed for the 300 BLK.
This bullet is also most accurate one that I've found for 300 BLK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It won't be used without the can. That's my point. The odds of a failure with the can are very small (based on my experience so far.) There are other failure points involved (like mags) that concern me much more. None of them involve me shooting subs without a can. </div></div>

Hilarious. You say it WON'T happen and then in the same breath you say the odds are very slim. So which is it? It's impossible or it's possible? If it's possible (which you just agreed) then it's a potential problem. That's ALL I've said. I warned the OP that if he planned to shoot subs w/o a can he would have issues. Which you also agreed. Holy crap people. Just stop!

Some people just live to argue on internet forums... </div></div>What are you babbling about? The OP said he was having failures with no can. I said I had the same failure with my 8" Noveske when using subsonics. You said that's a problem. I said it's not a problem because I would never use the weapon in a self-defense scenario with subs and no can. The weapon has never failed with subs and a can.

There is no weapon system out there which uses gunpowder to propel projectiles out of a metal tube that is 100% reliable. You boast that your weapons can be relied on.

Horse Hockey.

This is really simple logic. Try to keep up, and stop arguing just to hear yourself talk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're going to have issues due to pressure with that barrel. You'll either need to run suppressed, supersonic ammo or you can try to open the gas port. Just know that if you choose to go the last route you will over pressure if you run supersonic suppressed. If you read the descriptions on various sites about that barrel it even states that it wont cycle unsuppressed subsonic ammo. </div></div>

I remember reading this somewhere, but I can't find it now. someone correct me if I'm wrong. </div></div>

Yeah, what do I know. I've been shooting two 9" AAC factory uppers suppressed & unsuppressed but what would I know?

Any of these barrels running about 10" or less have potential issues cycling subs w/o a suppressor do to gas pressures. In fact, if you read the description from most vendors selling the 8" Noveske or 9" AAC barrels they will even say that they are not intended to cycle subs unsuppressed. So, don't take my word for it just read what the barrel manufacturers say about their own barrels.

Rainier Arms 10" 300BLK barrel here

Rainier Arms 8" 300BLK barrel here

Both of which state the following: "The Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT is NOT designed to cycle the action with subsonic ammunition unless a silencer is attached."

I even went with the 1" longer 9" AAC barrels because some people on certain forums said they had no issues but I personally haven't been able to cycle 220gr subsonic ammo unsuppressed. You can argue with me if you want but I posted that to warn others since I went into it thinking things would be fine. They weren't and others should be made aware of this since this setup is gaining popularity. </div></div>

Well, sucks for people who bought Noveske then...

This is from the FAQ on 300blktalk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q: Is an adjustable gas block required to shoot subsonic unsuppressed, subsonic suppressed, full power unsuppressed, and full power suppressed?
A: It depends on the brand. An AAC will shoot all four configurations wihout any adjustment needed when using Remington or similar ammunition. No doubt several top makers will have

products which will do this, but not all will.</div></div>

I will be buying a CORE15 upper

Here is what they have said about shooting unsupressed subs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, all of our 300 barrels have gas ports sized to cycle subs unsuppressed. We test fire from the factory with Remington 220 gr OTM subs. Please feel free to call if you have any questions. Thanks.</div></div>

That being said (even the FAQ says it) not all manufactureres will have the capability, but few things come to mind.

1. What the hell are you doing shooting subs out of a unsupressed gun? They're not any quieter this way, which much less energy and speed

2.Perhaps if one's desire is to do this, they need to check to make sure the upper can shot unsupressed subs. In this case Noveske doesn't. if I tried this out of a Core15 or a AAC and it wasn't working, I would send the upper back for warranty work.

3. Using subs for self defense inside home? go ahead. One of the most popular HD weapons is a shotgun, and people load it with buckshot. people don't put birdshot in there to decrease chance of over-penetration... to each their own. if you want to shoot heavies for that reason, go ahead. It's actually one of the few good reasons. I have no idea on penetration capabilites though, could still OP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeltaDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NatD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
The reason the noveske barrels wont cycle subs well unsuppressed is because the gas port is smaller than other barrels. They did this so it is not over gassed when using a suppressor and subs like they are intended to be used. I can't see a reason why people would want to shoot subs unsuppressed other than for testing purposes. I have tried it and some brands of subs actually cycled fine. </div></div>

The question isn't what people would <span style="font-style: italic">want</span> to use but what people might <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> to use. If someone likes the short systems running subs in a suppressed configuration for self/home defense (likely since this is one popular reasons for this round) and has a baffle strike or some reason to need to strip the can yet continue firing the fact that the rifle becomes a single shot system that requires a manual cycle to fire each round is catastrophic. As long as people know ALL of the facts before making their selection and building their rifle then it won't matter. Lots of people are moving forward on the inaccurate information that this isn't a concern with the shorter barrels. </div></div>

Then don't you think people should buy a rifle that can guarantee that it can cycle the subs unsupressed? and then go test the weapon to make sure it works?

If you buy a pistol for carry, do you take it out of the packaging and start carrying it? no... you test the weapon and then carry it to make sure it cycles your HP ammo and such.

buy a AAC upper or a Core15 upper that will work, and then test it. It should work to their claims. if not, send it back and get it fixed. It's only what they claim.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Some people just live to argue on internet forums... </div></div>

You've argued with 2 or 3 people so far in this thread. I probably haven't argued with anyone on this forum since I joined until just now... you've done it thrice in this thread alone.

Well then I'll just bow out of this discussion since you clearly don't care about first-hand knowledge when it comes to AAC barrels and how they ACTUALLY perform in real life when you feed them subsonic rounds w/o a suppressor. My post was to save people time and money sending stuff back when it's functioning EXACTLY as it was designed. Enjoy.

Enough is enough.
You all can start your own threads about your .300BLK issues.
For the people who posted on topic info, thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3. Using subs for self defense inside home? go ahead. One of the most popular HD weapons is a shotgun, and people load it with buckshot. people don't put birdshot in there to decrease chance of over-penetration... to each their own. if you want to shoot heavies for that reason, go ahead. It's actually one of the few good reasons. I have no idea on penetration capabilites though, could still OP.
</div></div>
FWIW, a 220 subsonic SMK will penetrate like a MoFo...
They have been documented penetrating one and a half telephone poles.
Something that heavy does not want to stop moving...