• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Falcon Menace ML16 reticule pics

FALbert

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
I recently received a Falcon 4-14X FFP scope with the ML16 reticule. For those curious, here is what it looks like at various settings. I'm really liking the FFP concept.

32" tall fire hydrant on a side street, somewhere between 575' andd 600':
HPIM0906-1.jpg

14X:
HPIM0902.jpg

14X Mildot from a Leupold LR/T for comparison:
HPIM0893.jpg

10X
HPIM0904.jpg

4X
HPIM0903.jpg

Re: Falcon Menace ML16 reticule pics

wow, those are some great pictures!

i'm looking at buying a falcon and can't decide what model to get. these pics have been very helpful

Scope was purchased from RW Snyder Gunsmithing. $417 shipped via USPS Priority Mail. Scope was received in four business days from time of order. Mil reticule and Mil adjustments. This has the latest turrets. It appears to be well made for the money. The only thing I did not like are the Chicom style flip up caps. I ordered Butler Creek replacements (#34 OBJ, #19 EYE) from Midway.

I had bought this scope as an alternative to the Nightforce 3.5-15X FFP scope which currently is way out of my price range. A friend of mine has that same Nightforce and I'll ask him to bring it to the next range session for comparison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been lookin for a good place to pick up a falcon any suggestions?? </div></div>sightwonders.com has the very scope in the pictures from the OP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splatroll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great. That model also comes with the mil-dot option, correct? </div></div>yup, here's the reticle choices:

xl_menaceenhancedmildot.jpg

xl_menacemp20.jpg

Really like the comparison between the Falcon and Luepy. Was thinking about a falcon, but wondering about the glass quality.

The downsized pictures don't do it justice. The view is much more clearer in person. I think the glass will hold it's own to most high quality scopes in the daytime. My club is limited to 200 yards. It would have been interesting to compare at long distances during the daytime. A friend of mine will bring his NF 3.5-15X TMR FFP scope for a dusk comparison at our next range session. Me thinks this is where the differences can be observed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A friend of mine will bring his NF 3.5-15X TMR FFP scope for a dusk comparison at our next range session. Me thinks this is where the differences can be observed.</div></div>

The falcon has nice glass for the money, but i agree with Falbert. I dont think it will stand up against a nightforce.

I have NF and the same sized falcon. overall the falcon is about 1/2 the scope the NF is, but at a 1/3 the cost. so the value is pretty high.

CJG

i can't be happier with my newly acquired Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56 MP20

dsc01406.jpg

here's my feeble attempt @ taking a crosshair picture, that shit's hard!

dsc01408.jpg

it looks all blurry and out of focus b/c i suck @ picture taking. i can see better contrast through this scope than i can with my bare eyes. it's amazingly clear @ all magnifications. 32 mils (80 moa) of adjustment can be dialed via .1 mil or .25moa clicks.

FALbert,

thanks for posting the pictures. I'm considering the Falcon. Question about the FFP, at 14X @ 100yds is the reticle too thick on a small target?

Define too thick. I was shooting yesterday with the EMD at 7/8" bulls and quartering them quite nicely. Could I have shot better with a finer reticle? Yes. Is the FFP tradeoff worth it to me? Yes.

If you're punching paper you may wnat something else. if you're nailing steel, center of mass, at unknown distance, you don't have many other options at this pricepoint.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Define too thick.
John </div></div>

Ya' John, "too thick" is not very specific.

A better question, reticle inches@100yds?

Kevin

Just from memory, I'd say it subtends about 1/4" at 100yds. I seem to remember reading .6 mil somewhere to, that would be real close. I'll see if I can find that data.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you mean 0.06Mil @ 100yds.
</div></div>

blush.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badred6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A friend of mine will bring his NF 3.5-15X TMR FFP scope for a dusk comparison at our next range session. Me thinks this is where the differences can be observed.</div></div>

The falcon has nice glass for the money, but i agree with Falbert. I dont think it will stand up against a nightforce. </div></div>

Not even close....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wahoo95</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have been lookin for a good place to pick up a falcon any suggestions?? </div></div>

Got mine from Optics Warehouse out of the UK for $360 shipped...received it in 6 days.

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/products.asp?cat=Falcon+Telescopic+Sights</div></div>

looking on this site (http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/products.asp?cat=Falcon+Telescopic+Sights) is confusing. I want the mil/mil adjustments and the mp-20 style reticle. SO which one do i mark on that site

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking on this site (http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/products.asp?cat=Falcon+Telescopic+Sights) is confusing. I want the mil/mil adjustments and the mp-20 style reticle. SO which one do i mark on that site </div></div>

Yes, indeed the description is confusing. It says "# Tactical Turrets in either MOA or Metric" but there doesn't seem to be a place to make the choice on the ordering page. It does let you choose between different reticule options, but I'm not sure what "MOA ML16 Skeleton" and "Metric ML16 Skeleton" reticules are. I thougth the ML16's were based on mildots?

Both ML16 are based on milradian. I guess they are just giving you an option to use mils to estimate range and then adjust the turrets based on MOA like most scopes, for those that like doing it the hard way. =)

Are "metric" the same as Mils? Metric is 1cm @100M right? Is that the same as a mil, or is this a third model/option that Falcon has?

Also, that optics warehouse doesn't have a place to decide whether you want MOA or Mil turrets; they just say it's an option so I was curious how Wahoo95 ordered his? They're selling them for $370 shipped, so I'd happily wait the extra few days for it to come across the pond, ya know?

Scopes adjust by changing the angle between the line of sight of the scope and the line of the bore.

Common systems of angular measurements are milliradians, minutes of angle, and inches per hundred yards (IPHY).

None of those make any difference to what systems of linear measurement the range to the target is measured in.

Thanks Lindy. I do know how scopes work; I'm trying to avoid getting a scope that has a Mil reticule and MOA turrets, and the optics warehouse threw in a new system I wasn't aware of; i.e. the Metric turrets.

They aren't metric turrets.

An adjustment of 1 centimeter at 100 yards is an adjustment of 0.1 milliradians.

0.1 milliradians is also an adjustment of 3.6 inches at 1000 yards, and is also 1/10,000 of every distance, which is why the turrets aren't metric.

I believe optics warehouse is calling the 0.1 mrad a "metric turret". I was checking into these myself and they only give the option of "MOA or Metric". Also the ML 16 is the reticle with the hash marks vs. the Enhanced Long Range Mil Dot with the actual "mil dots" and the hash marks in between. Does anyone know if you have to have an export license to order a scope from the UK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoomStix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe optics warehouse is calling the 0.1 mrad a "metric turret". I was checking into these myself and they only give the option of "MOA or Metric". Also the ML 16 is the reticle with the hash marks vs. the Enhanced Long Range Mil Dot with the actual "mil dots" and the hash marks in between. Does anyone know if you have to have an export license to order a scope from the UK? </div></div>

I got my 4-14x44 from Optics Warehouse with the ML16 Reticle with the Mil/Mil setup. Ordering didn't require any special license....just a credit card.