• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes FAT wrench

hunter223

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Odessa Tx
I know there's gotta be guys using 'em. How do you like them? Are they reliable to give repeatable torque settings? I'd much rather spend the $50 for the FAT wrench than $250 for a digital wrench from work
wink.gif

Thanks guys

Re: FAT wrench

Got one and like it. It won't be as exact as a certified torque wrench but it is better than tightening just hand and "guestimating". Remember to back off the spring tension once you are done.

I use it and it works great for me. For what I am doing the torque settings are better than tightening by hand. It easy and comes with lot of different tools so I say go for it.

I have one I bought on sale from midway for 34.99 at the time. Natchezz has them for 42.99. It does the job and works pretty good but as others stated much better than just guessing. I would like to find a more accurate wrench, but the only ones I have found seem to be a bit more pricey.

If your going to use it to torque your own weapons once in a while ( action screws, scope mounts etc. ) it is a good tool. I find the one I own, to be repeatable in it's settings whether it's accurate too the inch pound or not isn't important to me so long as it repeats the same torque. If you need absolute precision spend the two hundred dollars if not spend the forty you won't be disappointed.

bshaw

I'll echo the guys above. I bought mine for the exact reasons mentioned above. It's better than "eh, that'll do 'er" measurements. I think I bought mine from Midway because I had other crap I wanted to buy from them.

I do recall reading some complains on Midway's site. I think so at least about the attachment being lots as all get out. I didn't have that problem on mine. I bought mine about 5 months ago.

+1 on making sure you back it off once you're done.

I'm happy with mine. I only wish the bit attachment would not fall off so easily.

I like mine, although the bit attachment is not very secure as FAlbert states.

I also wish the length of the actual heads (allen, torx, whatever) were a little longer. There have been a few instances where I was trying to get down in a deeper hole to tighten and didn't have the clearance.

For the $, it ain't bad.

Had mine for a couple of years, it works very well. Just dont forget to unwind the bottom cap when you are done using it. Read the instructions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your going to use it to torque your own weapons once in a while ( action screws, scope mounts etc. ) it is a good tool. I find the one I own, to be repeatable in it's settings whether it's accurate too the inch pound or not isn't important to me so long as it repeats the same torque. If you need absolute precision spend the two hundred dollars if not spend the forty you won't be disappointed.

bshaw </div></div>

Very good point! I like mine, very handy, and it seems to hold its own next to other ones. Tested it against a few models from Sears.

It's good enough. Spend the $$ you save on more important things...like ammo.

I guess I am the odd man out on this one. I tried one a couple of years ago when they first came out -- and hated it. The driver would fall out when turned upside down unless you physically held it in place. Also the settings are so course, you have no idea if you are even close to the setting you require, and the repeatability has to be pretty lousy for that reason. Perhaps as has been stated, they may be better than nothing, but I can see some utility if one wanted to use them, say, only for action screws where you set it for about the torque you need and dont change it. However, as indicated, I dont know if the constant tension will effectively reduce spring strength over time.

rm76, you are not supposed to leave constant tension on the spring, you are supposed to unscrew the bottom cap each time you are done using it.

You NEVER leave tension on any a torque wrench, always back it down when you are finished or the spring will lose tension over time and give false a reading.

Understood. However, I dont see how one could get repeatable tension on this tool anyway. The settings are just not that precise. Perhaps Ok for a ballpark setting, but a mighty big ballpark at that.

I love mine. Easy to carry in the kit, easy to use, and easy to check things when in doubt. If I had to use it every single day, then I might want something different, but for the money, and as a quick check to make sure things are right, you cant beat em.

Hello Everyone,

When I was looking for torque wrench/driver for gunsmithing I saw the FAT driver. Upon more searching, Matco makes some nice dual beam torque wrenches. They are $89. I got two for fine/course adjustments.

DR50-1 0in/lbs to 50in/lbs
DR200-1 0in/lbs to 200in/lbs

They came in cardboard boxes. I made my own boxes so they last a lifetime.
cool.gif

Box_50_3.jpg

DR50-1
Box_50_4.jpg

DR200-1
Box_200_4.jpg

Thank you,
Monnie

The fat wrench works good in the field. For work on the bench I prefer a deflection beam wrench. KD makes a 1/4" drive deflection beam with a range of 0 to 60 inch pounds, that can be had for under $40.

I haven't seen the small Matco's before, they look really nice, thanks for the pics MonnieRock.

They work great for light torque. I used it a couple times to torque the trigger guard screws to 60lbs....it quickly broke. Same ole story, buy quality and only pay once. I now have a quality Brownells torque wrench and wish I hadn't gone "cheap" the first time.

Anyone try or heard of CDI torque products?? just curious if they were decent? a few 0 - 75 inch /lbs ones on ebay
smile.gif

Nothing beats snap-on for torque wrenchs...imo...matco are nice as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyrekzz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone try or heard of CDI torque products?? just curious if they were decent? a few 0 - 75 inch /lbs ones on ebay
smile.gif
</div></div>

They make wrenches for Snap-on. I have a couple and am very pleased. I say good to go. Check out K-D Tools also.

It seems you need 2 wrenches to cover the range from 12 to 65 in/lbs. The lower end only seems to cover to about 50 in/lbs. You need a second wrench to cover the 65 in/lbs for action screws and scope ring to base.

I use mine often, one thing you'll def find is that it'll seem as if your not tightening enough, but you are for sure. You can make those little screws way to tight by hand.

I have a Fat Wrench. Used it for a year or so. I never fully trusted it given its origin, and cost.

I finally ordered some Seekonk's. I can set the torque with the FAT and then use the fixed power Seekonk and they dont always match up. I cant say for sure which one is correct, but I trust the Seekonk more. It seems more obvious at 65"lbs than 15.

I use 2 Seekonks: a 15 in-lb and a 65 in-lb. I have no use for anything above, below or in between those values, so the 2 wrenches work for me. Very good tools I might add.

Just stopped by Cabelas with the express purpose of getting this wrench. Couldn't make myself buy it--seemed cheap. Didn't help the ones they had there looked like they had been on the shelf forever (all dusty). Guess I'm calling Scott on Monday for the Seekonk...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 2 Seekonks: a 15 in-lb and a 65 in-lb. I have no use for anything above, below or in between those values, so the 2 wrenches work for me. Very good tools I might add. </div></div>

This is a very good point, indeed.