• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Father and son elk hunt, Colorado, Montana or Wyoming?

smarpin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2019
I’m looking at taking my dad on an elk hunt next year. From your experience which of those states is going to offer the best chance for a harvest? I’ve got no issue hoofing it and tough terrain isn’t a problem for me, however my dad had his hip replaced after a service related injury so he may be more limited. I’m more interested in the experience with my old man so we are not looking for a giant bull, but I’d like to get a shot at a decent one (but wouldn’t hesitate to take a cow if that’s what it comes too) I’ve picked these three for ease of getting a tag as an out of state hunter. With all of that in mind what would you guys suggest is the best course of action? Any tips and hints are welcome.

Cant help with much but I would also call state F&G for beta.

Good on you wanting more of the experience with your pops, I miss those times with my sons. So, may I suggest

I hunted in Colorado Units 12 and 24 for several years. I have the impression that Unit 13 has a great deal of private property rather that the National Forests which are open to the public. Private land in those areas may not be easy to gain hunting access and could require steep payments if you can gain permission.

CO is a good choice but for a better experience i would say Montana

Yer killin me over here...
Montana is loaded with wolves and grizzly bears, and the elk have developed hypersensitive survival instincts that make them impossible to hunt. Statistically, Colorado has the most elk and the fewest predators. Seems like Bronco-land is still the best choice. :)

Interested in experienced input as well

Definitely no elk in Idaho! Wolves ate em all !

Seriously though, Colorado is your best bet for OTC rifle tags and a healthy elk population. If you're lacking gear and/or experience I highly recommend looking into a drop camp hunt. I used J-Bar-H on my 1st elk hunt and it was definitely a great experience.

A DIY elk hunt for a 1st timer can be successful, but will most likely turn into a camping and hiking trip with rifles to carry .

Reactions: Big Ern and TACC
How old is your father and how capable? I just got back from a hunt with my old man and my uncle, 71 & 69. Opening morning I got them into a great spot, one in which we have taken elk on opening morning for the last 11 years, but not this year. That was pretty much it for the two of them, we had horses but with the beetle kill, they simply could not do what it takes to get to the elk when they are not within a couple of miles from camp. We've always been DIY but I think maybe it's time for a ranch hunt. It was kind of sad, the last time my uncle was out here he and my dad both got huge 6x6s the first two days, three seasons later and father time has definitely slowed them down.

Reactions: TACC
How old is your father and how capable? I just got back from a hunt with my old man and my uncle, 71 & 69. Opening morning I got them into a great spot, one in which we have taken elk on opening morning for the last 11 years, but not this year. That was pretty much it for the two of them, we had horses but with the beetle kill, they simply could not do what it takes to get to the elk when they are not within a couple of miles from camp. We've always been DIY but I think maybe it's time for a ranch hunt. It was kind of sad, the last time my uncle was out here he and my dad both got huge 6x6s the first two days, three seasons later and father time has definitely slowed them down.
Do you have any experience with ranch hunts?

He’ll be 56 by the time of the hunt, he’s still got a lot of drive to hunt hard, his hip replacement is the only thing that worries me, when he had it done the doctor said he’d have to scale back a little on physical strenuous activity, so packing out an elk shot in a tough spot would probably fall on me.

Elk hunting is hard no matter where you go. I would pay for a guide or private land access in your circumstances. At least it might be an enjoyable experience for you guys.

I’ve hunted all 3 of those states and there are tons of people all over the easily accessible areas, you really need to hike or pack into difficult country to be successful IMO. I haven’t kept up on draw odds or app fees but I think Colorado has drastically changed their system since I hunted there 15 years ago and there are a lot more hunters than in the past

Check out gohunt and huntinfool for the best info

I'd add CO too, Montana and Wyoming can be tough without horses to get far enough away to not be combat hunting!!