• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend the most American made 30-06 for an elk hunt

Let me throw out another option that popped into my head deviating from my original post. In my head, I think of the 6.5prc as an upgraded 30-06, similar to how a 6.5creedmoor is to a 308. When I consider a 6.5prc (still leaning towards a 30-06) I see a nice factory option in the Springfield waypoint in 6.5prc. At 8 ish pounds without scope it still seems a little heavier than I'd want it to be. Thoughts on the waypoint or the 6.5prc?

Let me throw out another option that popped into my head deviating from my original post. In my head, I think of the 6.5prc as an upgraded 30-06, similar to how a 6.5creedmoor is to a 308. When I consider a 6.5prc (still leaning towards a 30-06) I see a nice factory option in the Springfield waypoint in 6.5prc. At 8 ish pounds without scope it still seems a little heavier than I'd want it to be. Thoughts on the waypoint or the 6.5prc?
I think a little bit of vomit just came up in my mouth....

You need to delete that "classic" wording out of your initial post LOL.

On another note, I think the 6.5 PRC is a nice little cartridge and I have seen it's baby brother 6.5CM take elk with perfect placement . . .
but. . .
I do not think either is an Elk round.

Can it be done? Yep.
However this sounds like you are buying this rifle for a very specific hunt and to fit into your idea of a nostalgic if not so classic/traditional hunt?

The price of your rifle is going to mean zip in the scheme of things and if you never use it for anything else again, so what.
The memories from this hunt would be a solid tradeoff.

My opinion is that if your elk is at distance and you get less than perfect placement (wind is always howling in the mountains) any 6.5 game bullet is most certainly not in the class as a 30 cal. game bullet in the 180 to 220gr range. The heavy 30 will out penetrate and negotiate bone better by far. Elk are big and there are solid opinions that you should lean toward penetration first. If you have to take a raking shot through most of the body or break both shoulders, the 6.5 isn't going to be in the same league as your 30-06.

Don't get drunk on all the latest articles and websites that make their income off of clicks and ad sales. Stick to your guns (literally) and go with your initial plan.

PS: In your initial post, you mentioned that you were considering a M70 but then remembered where they were made (not in the US).
Any Pre-64 Winchester 70 would have been made in New Haven, Connecticut. In fact all were made there until around 2006 if I remember correctly.

Fun Fact: Even though Connecticut is now a communist country, it wasn't in the 1900's so there's that. . .

Last edited:

On another note, I think the 6.5 PRC is a nice little cartridge and I have seen it's baby brother 6.5CM take elk with perfect placement . . .
but. . .

Can it be done? Yep.
However this sounds like you are buying this rifle for a very specific hunt and to fit into your idea of a nostalgic if not so classic/traditional hunt?

The price of your rifle is going to mean zip in the scheme of things and if you never use it for anything else again, so what.

My opinion is that if your elk is at distance and you get less than perfect placement (wind is always howling in the mountains) any 6.5 game bullet is most certainly not in the class as a 30 cal. game bullet in the 180 to 220gr range. The heavy 30 will out penetrate and negotiate bone better by far. Elk are big and there are solid opinions that you should lean toward penetration first. If you have to take a raking shot through most of the body or break both shoulders, the 6.5 isn't going to be in the same league as your 30-06.

Don't get drunk on all the latest articles and websites that make their income off of clicks and ad sales. Stick to your guns (literally) and go with your initial plan.

PS: In your initial post, you mentioned that you were considering a M70 but then remembered where they were made (not in the US).
Any Pre-64 Winchester 70 would have been made in New Haven, Connecticut. In fact all were made there until around 2006 if I remember correctly.

Fast Fact: Even though Connecticut is now a communist country, it wasn't in the 1900's so there's that. . .
Great post. It’s a good thing that I’m all out of play money for a bit, as I almost started to look up early-ish M70 prices. 🧐😄
You have me convinced and I don’t even have an elk hunt scheduled.

I like the 300h&h suggestion. I picked up a Rem700 classic just because it was the classic big game round. Stainless is nice when your in a wet cold environment and I've since retired my 300h&h for its ballistic twin, the 300wsm. A stainless m70 made in New Haven, Connecticut.

Reactions: jwood1284
Buy sometime like a defiance that is available in controlled feed but uses all the common 700 parts.

Add an AG composites carbon stock.

Badger or Hawkins metal.

Vortex AMG.

The funny thing is we almost have to look for non-us made stuff in shooting. Outside of optics and the big names outsourcing their super common models to Turkey and Japan.

@Terry Cross

Sippin whisky with a couple Squirrel Mafia hooligans from another part of the country, eating good eats, talking shooting of course, and will say the 6.5 do good on elk.
Shoot, besides this thread, your name came up twice tonight!!
Lucky or cursed, I get to wander around yearly and look for an elk to test my bullets on.

Tomorrow my lady, myself, and afore mentioned hooligans shall dine on elk back strap perfectly seared, with a mushroom and shallot wine sauce, and bullshit for hours about fine whisky, shooting, and ballistics.
Maybe boobs too, iffin the women dont beat us too much…..

And agree, for our OP here needs to focus on a nice pre 64 70 for his hunt.
‘06 or a 300 H&H if he can swing it.
Classic goods for a great hunt.
I carried a 1952 on my first bear hunt, one I had been talking about since age 4. And I grew up in Iowa! I have been a determined old cuss for a while now it seems. 😉

@Terry Cross

Sippin whisky with a couple Squirrel Mafia hooligans from another part of the country, eating good eats, talking shooting of course, and will say the 6.5 do good on elk.
Shoot, besides this thread, your name came up twice tonight!!
Lucky or cursed, I get to wander around yearly and look for an elk to test my bullets on.

Tomorrow my lady, myself, and afore mentioned hooligans shall dine on elk back strap perfectly seared, with a mushroom and shallot wine sauce, and bullshit for hours about fine whisky, shooting, and ballistics.
Maybe boobs too, iffin the women dont beat us too much…..

And agree, for our OP here needs to focus on a nice pre 64 70 for his hunt.
‘06 or a 300 H&H if he can swing it.
Classic goods for a great hunt.
I carried a 1952 on my first bear hunt, one I had been talking about since age 4. And I grew up in Iowa! I have been a determined old cuss for a while now it seems. 😉
You had me at 'sippin whiskey'!
Boobs for the win!

Cheers to the The Squirrel Mafia.
Enjoy! I bees jealous.

Reactions: Stevo86 and lash
Odds are pretty good I'm going elk hunting next year. I've got plenty of rifles, but most of them are geared towards the tactical or competition side and not really setup to be lightweight going up and down steep hills. On the one hand, this is going to be a gun that might end up sitting under a tarp with me in the rain for days on end. On the other hand this could be something that pops an elk on day 1 if I have beginners luck and then it's back in the safe. I'm a veteran and go to rifle competitions usually finishing in the top third of a match. I know everyone on the internet says they can shoot, and I won't say I'm the best by any means, but I'm a competent shot. For the purposes of a hunt, I'd be putting a limit on myself of 500 yards max.

*I'm kinda stuck on the 30-06. I have just always had a soft spot in my heart for it. I know there's bigger and better cartridges, but the 30-06 and I go way back.

*I'm torn between something with bombproof durability like an old ruger paddle gun, vs something in a walnut stock that will have the nicks and scratches of a well worn hunt that will also be a beautiful rifle to hand to my son or grandsons some day.

*I've never had a controlled round feed rifle, so I'm attracted to that more out of curiosity than anything else. I could take it or leave it though because I've ran a bolt action enough times to know a push feed is just fine.

*I'm trying to limit the rifles I'm looking at to an all American classic type of rifle. Something that's built in the USA and always has been. At first I was thinking of a Winchester 70, then realized where they're made. Then I got thinking of a Browning, then realized where they're made now too. Is there a factory option besides a Ruger that fits what I'm looking for? Nothing against Ruger, I'm just trying to look at all my options.

*I understand that a there's nothing more American than a custom rifle, and if I did that I like the looks of the foundation micarta stocks in some combination of a barreled action that can be at 7# ish without scope.

Thoughts?
Ruger m77 mkii all weather with the boat paddle stock gets my vote

Reactions: teddy12b and 2c1fr
I call your 1919 and raise my 1917. Got this from a lady friend it belonged to her father, Winchester mfg.1918 and arsenal refinished by non other than Elmer Keith (has an OGEK stamp, OGdenElmerKeith) hasn't been fired in over 50 years. I cleaned it, oiled it and had first round hits on 8" steel @200 yds. with M1 Garand FMJ. I was so surprised it became my favorite rifle just because of the history. While not a "classic" hunter it's an amazing 06 I had to share........
DSC_4994.JPG

I’m also a big fan of the pre 64 as a great nostalgic hunting rifle.
But My choice would be a nice Dakota arms

Attachments

• 9340B79D-4F54-4837-8CD6-000998B32A27.jpeg
    9340B79D-4F54-4837-8CD6-000998B32A27.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: 81STFACP

but. . .

Can it be done? Yep.

Fun Fact: Even though Connecticut is now a communist country, it wasn't in the 1900's so there's that. . .
I appreciated this more than you know and sometimes I need a good whack on the side of the head. Thank you.

Something that makes me worry about a pre '64 70 is that there's really not a great way to know if you've got a good one or not until you're on the range. If the gun sucks, then you're either going to sell or rebarrel it and at that point I should have just bought a new one.

Something that makes me worry about a pre '64 70 is that there's really not a great way to know if you've got a good one or not until you're on the range. If the gun sucks, then you're either going to sell or rebarrel it and at that point I should have just bought a new one.
Uh, that’s pretty much how all guns are, new or used. I’ve gotten lemon new guns.

Edit: that’s why I try to buy from a trusted local dealer. If I get a lemon, they have a lifetime warranty on top of whatever warranty the gun has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Cross
Then just buy a Dakota Arms model 76.

1698089058310.png

Just get a classic Remington 700,...I just bought a new ADL in 300 Win Mag, plastic stock $540, put a 1972 vintage BDL walnut stock on it for free, and threadrd the barrel for muzzle brake. Light handy and plenty of power for elk. Available in 30-06.

I'll toss a vote on for a vintage 70. Just seems like a romantic choice. Plus a heck of a rifle to hand down.

This

But in 270 Win. Jack O'Connor would approve.

Dakota went under with the Remington sale, they are now Parkwest Arms

Yes and I realize that. I should have taken the time to get the right link. However, they still make the same rifles under a different name but almost exact same nomenclature.

1698093310693.png

I feel like the toughest part about this whole deal is that if you want a good American made classic hunting gun you need to find someone who's selling theirs... because they're just not made, or made here, anymore. When I think American classic, I think first of the M70 and second of the R700. With respect to Ruger, the M77 isn't my particular cup of tea. While I couldn't tell you where new Remington are made, I can't say I have full faith and confidence in them at the moment either.

ETA:
I suppose there's always the Weatherby MkV, though I cannot speak to country of origin nor abide a Monte Carlo stock design (particularly on a rifle chambered for a Wby Magnum).
There are plenty of American made rifles that would be perfect for this. Most are too cheap or don't want to pay for American Labor and quality. There are literally hundreds of smiths who can spin up anything you want using nothing but American parts.

Right now, finding anything in stock will be a challenge. Your best bet might be to go the home assembly custom route.
Fewer companies are chambering in classic cartridges, they are having enough trouble keeping up with demand for the newer hotness.
There are still good quality wooden stocks to be had.
A mack bros long action BDL in a quality wood stock would make a very nice rifle

Why on earth would anyone even consider a 30-06 to hunt with. We are now into the age of 30° shouldered short fat cartridges that can out perform any old long cartridges. WTH?

Not just the embarrassment of shooting at an animal with it, can a 180+ grain 30 caliber bullet even do the work? I don't even think they make brass for the thing anymore. Y'all are crazy.

I bought a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06 in 1993 (made in 1991). It was my first gun purchase. That rifle has the slickest action of any Remington product I've ever owned, and will rival any bragging rights owned by Tikka/Sako. My other Remingtons of the last 20 years are not equal here.

At first, it was a bit lackluster (and so was my skill level) with factory ammo when I was in my early teens. I'll assume most of the blame for that. Later in life, I worked the trigger down to 3lbs, removed the pressure point in the fore end of the stock, and bedded both the action as well as the pressure point. That rifle is a freaking hammer with the older 178gr A-MAX and IMR-4064.

If I had to get "the most American .30-06" again without doing some sort of full custom, I'd happily start my search for the same model, made in the 80's to early 90's. It might need a touch of love to the bedding and a little load development, but there's zero doubt that it wouldn't be accurate enough to shoot out to the old '06's cartridge limits.

Why on earth would anyone even consider a 30-06 to hunt with. We are now into the age of 30° shouldered short fat cartridges that can out perform any old long cartridges. WTH?

Not just the embarrassment of shooting at an animal with it, can a 180+ grain 30 caliber bullet even do the work? I don't even think they make brass for the thing anymore. Y'all are crazy.
Hahaha! That’s the funniest shit I’ve seen a while. I suppose you think that it’s necessary to use a minimum of 250-300 gr bullets running 3000 fps in order to kill something like an elk?

Hahaha! Hooohaaa! Good stuff! Thanks for the morning laugh.

You are right, why launch a 180 when you can a 215 Berger @2840 from a 28 inch tube.

20221015_102327.jpg

Dang, my brass are too old.
20221114_095630.jpg
20221114_095610.jpg
20221109_122610.jpg
20221105_224342.jpg

I couldn't help it. I read the threads with the newest calibers and newest stock materials and someone comes along and asks about a classic and what do you know, 2 pages in no time at all!

I have more than a couple of the things (30-06's) and won't be without one or three. My favorite is a 700 worked over by somebody called GAP and it has a Kahles steel 3-12 on it. Oh the humanity.

You are right, why launch a 180 when you can a 215 Berger @2840 from a 28 inch tube.

View attachment 8256177

Dang, my brass are too old.
View attachment 8256178View attachment 8256179View attachment 8256180View attachment 8256181
What chamber? Yeah, that's some older brass too. I have a good supply of 66 NM brass I bought some years back but usually use Federal.

The 700 I have has a chamber similar to the PT&G Serengeti (or at least that's what I remember). It does smack from both directions though. It's on the lighter side even with the largish scope.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP. I just knew my post would bring out the axe handles for my head. Honestly, it's nice to see that the antiquated old long case is still used occasionally (did it again).

Reactions: 81STFACP and lash
Swr
What chamber? Yeah, that's some older brass too. I have a good supply of 66 NM brass I bought some years back but usually use Federal.

The 700 I have has a chamber similar to the PT&G Serengeti (or at least that's what I remember). It does smack from both directions though. It's on the lighter side even with the largish scope.

Sorry for the hi-jack OP. I just knew my post would bring out the axe handles for my head. Honestly, it's nice to see that the antiquated old long case is still used occasionally (did it again).

I chambered the 28 inch KBI with a Serengeti

Reactions: lash and DHDeal
It's a good one. Can't remember who came up with it but remember some years back reading German Salazar's work with it. I never went beyond the 190's as there was no point for me. 190's in that particular rifle like to cluster up using H4350 at 2825ish fps.

Your numbers are better than good with a 215.

Reactions: 81STFACP and lash
Plenty of Pre 64 Win 70s in good condition out there.
60 seconds of "search" got me this.

Super Grade 30-06 made in 1949 or 50

Nice 30-06 made in 1952.

Nice 30-06 made in 1961.

Nice 30-06 made in 1960.

Very nice 30-06 made in 1946.

Nice 300 H&H made in 1961

Another nice 300 H&H made in 1952. Looks like somebody put TrueOil or similar on the wood and likely re-blued it but otherwise looks to be as shipped from Winchester.

Since you mentioned the 6.5 PRC, here is a real man's 6.5
Nice .264 Win Mag (OMG! ! I want this even knowing I would never shoot it. ) made in 1960

Thought I needed to waste time on my break and muddy up the water for you. :giggle:

./

Plenty of Pre 64 Win 70s in good condition out there.
60 seconds of "search" got me this.

Super Grade 30-06 made in 1949 or 50

Nice 30-06 made in 1952.

Nice 30-06 made in 1961.

Nice 30-06 made in 1960.

Very nice 30-06 made in 1946.

Nice 300 H&H made in 1961

Another nice 300 H&H made in 1952. Looks like somebody put TrueOil or similar on the wood and likely re-blued it but otherwise looks to be as shipped from Winchester.

Since you mentioned the 6.5 PRC, here is a real man's 6.5
Nice .264 Win Mag (OMG! ! I want this even knowing I would never shoot it. ) made in 1960

Thought I needed to waste time on my break and muddy up the water for you. :giggle:

./
I don’t know whether to laugh or cry about these. Love them all!😍🤣

So if you and the 30-06 go back, what rifle do you have that is already a 30-06?
I have a Thompson Center Encore in 30-06. It's the gun I got my first deer with and it'd be fun to say I got my first elk with it too. With scope it's just over 8# so it's not out of the question.