• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Recommend the most American made 30-06 for an elk hunt

Why on earth would anyone even consider a 30-06 to hunt with. We are now into the age of 30° shouldered short fat cartridges that can out perform any old long cartridges. WTH?

Not just the embarrassment of shooting at an animal with it, can a 180+ grain 30 caliber bullet even do the work? I don't even think they make brass for the thing anymore. Y'all are crazy.
1698170634814.jpeg

Below is my USA made coyote hunting rig. Not too bad a price either.

20DB51ED-E02F-4D39-8592-4C5C817305EF.jpeg

Plenty of Pre 64 Win 70s in good condition out there.
60 seconds of "search" got me this.

Super Grade 30-06 made in 1949 or 50

Nice 30-06 made in 1952.

Nice 30-06 made in 1961.

Nice 30-06 made in 1960.

Very nice 30-06 made in 1946.

Nice 300 H&H made in 1961

Another nice 300 H&H made in 1952. Looks like somebody put TrueOil or similar on the wood and likely re-blued it but otherwise looks to be as shipped from Winchester.

Since you mentioned the 6.5 PRC, here is a real man's 6.5
Nice .264 Win Mag (OMG! ! I want this even knowing I would never shoot it. ) made in 1960

Thought I needed to waste time on my break and muddy up the water for you. :giggle:

./

“Dang you Terry Cross!!!!”
- my savings account

🤣

May have to rethink an AK moose hunt build (woman is all fired up for a moose hunt).

Or shoot one with the best moose tipper.
The ole 6.5x55 Swede. 😁

Now that Im not whisky deep, I will say, using a 6.5 requires skipping plenty of shots on an elk that you mentioned.
Its gotta be perfect and your shooting too. No dickin around.
I get to elk hunt 2x a year most years (moving messed up one season this year) for $50-60 a try. While ya never want to not get one, lots of opportunity leaves room.

A once in a lifetime hunt?
Carry a big magnum and be ready to shoot 600. A tad further perhaps if its 350” or bigger…. 😉

“Dang you Terry Cross!!!!”
- my savings account

🤣

May have to rethink an AK moose hunt build (woman is all fired up for a moose hunt).

Or shoot one with the best moose tipper.
The ole 6.5x55 Swede. 😁

Now that Im not whisky deep, I will say, using a 6.5 requires skipping plenty of shots on an elk that you mentioned.
Its gotta be perfect and your shooting too. No dickin around.
I get to elk hunt 2x a year most years (moving messed up one season this year) for $50-60 a try. While ya never want to not get one, lots of opportunity leaves room.

A once in a lifetime hunt?
Carry a big magnum and be ready to shoot 600. A tad further perhaps if its 350” or bigger…. 😉
Solid copy Captain Skippy (your Squirrel Mafia rank?).
To hell with your savings account. You can't take that shit with you! Make the man in the mirror happy. Tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us! :)

That being said, Bell killed the fuck out of African elephant with a 7x57 and solids but you wouldn't find my inbred white cracker ass in Africa with anything that tiny!

PS: I saw an old Win 70 in .375 H&H somewhere in that list. Geezus. . . I'm still moist. That would wreck a Bullwinkle!

./

Last edited:
I have a Thompson Center Encore in 30-06. It's the gun I got my first deer with and it'd be fun to say I got my first elk with it too. With scope it's just over 8# so it's not out of the question.
1696889891150.gif

Just poking fun. The TC is a solid little gun.

It's just not old school "classic" for your elk hunt.

OK, so maybe it is a little gay.

On second thought, it is really, really gay AF and it is still my mission to be the little demon on your left shoulder reminding you of your original post wording.

It's a good one. Can't remember who came up with it but remember some years back reading German Salazar's work with it. I never went beyond the 190's as there was no point for me. 190's in that particular rifle like to cluster up using H4350 at 2825ish fps.

Your numbers are better than good with a 215.
Standard load in my 308 target 30" 8 twist is 200 gr SMK .715 BC at 2856 fps...I haven't tried 215s, but 225 at 2675 fps and 230gr Atips at 2620 Atips fps are used...so these older cartridges can benefit from new components and be more competitive.

Reactions: lash
To hell with your savings account. You can't take that shit with you! Make the man in the mirror happy. Tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us! :)

That being said, Bell killed the fuck out of African elephant with a 7x57 and solids but you wouldn't find my inbred white cracker ass in Africa with anything that tiny!

PS: I saw an old Win 70 in .375 H&H somewhere in that list. Geezus. . . I'm still moist. That would wreck a Bullwinkle!

./

For years I have been searching to find one of the 51 Model 70’s in a specific serial number range that coincides with the day my late grandfather was born, I found one in .375 H&H but it was a touch to rich for my blood.

Also my grandfather was a frugal man and had I bought it he probably would have crawled out of his grave to beat my ass for spending that much on something commemorate him.

Also my grandfather was a frugal man and had I bought it he probably would have crawled out of his grave to beat my ass for spending that much on something commemorate him.
Jesus! Those two are spectacular.

Your grandfather was probably frugal because he had to be back in the day.

He might bitch at you just to make a show ( because you know, it is expected of him after all ) but it would make him feel good on the inside that you thought enough of him to do such a thing in his memory.

Tying such memories to something tangible is a strong way we keep our past love ones alive in our hearts and even to the great grandkids that may not have been blessed to know them first hand.

Did I mention that those are spectacular!?

Used the 30-06 Rem 721 as a kid open sights no scope. It killed deer, so did the old lever 30-30. Never had to be super accurate. My brother came back from Vietnam in 69 and bought a new Rem 700 ADL in 30-06, for $98. Put a 3-9× Leupold killed deer and elk until agent orange finally killed him. I used a 7 mag, with 3-9x, traded it for a Ruger 77 338 Win Mag for better dump em on the spot, with a 2-7x and finally a 350 mag model 7, the last 2 pillar bedded but stock factory with walnut. And always had a real factory 16" Win lever 30-30 with 170 gr. handloads...for special occasions. Never needed a custom rifle or super accuracy for hunting, the target is large and the ranges were close to fairly close...and if a horse falls on your rifle ya aren't out much...a tool for workin.
Then a famous old Alaskan guide used a Win model 70 in 30-06 to go in the brush after wounded coatal Grizzly loaded with Nosler 220 gr bullets...but sometimes he completely unloaded the 5 rds available. He was an old Vietnam combat vet used to working in close quarters..so there's that...and you might choose something larger for that endevor.

Last edited:
This thread has been really fun. So many great rifles have been recommended. As far as your OP goes; the pre ‘64 Winchester 70 is the most right answer.

You are in luck because lock stock and barrel is selling quite a few of them on gunbroker.

For me personally, I grew up shooting a Remington 760 gamemaster pump 30-06 carbine. I come from a family of LH Pennsylvania hunters, we all carried them. Remington’s good enough cheapness is in my blue collar blood. My first rifle I bought myself was a LH LSS in 300 RUM. If it was my rifle it would probably be a LH 700 KS.

No it wouldn’t. I just thought of one I missed. It’d be an OG ULA. That’s what I’d buy. One of Morgantown’s finest, an OG Forbes.

Circa Summer of 1974. Cape Lisburne, home for a year my Uncle sent me to keep an eye on Ivan on the other side of the Straight.

No fancy camo, no signature boots, just Chuck Taylors and wool socks.. when warm enough on our hikes down the damp tundra of the Caribou Valley, or the beach of the Arctic, the CTs are near perfect. No Gore-Tex lined hikers.

30-06 with irons. Nanuqs roam the area, optics are no go.

The Arctic Ocean in the background.
20220809_120433.jpg

Last edited:
What's a realistic expectation for a pre '64 winchester 70 in 30-06? I love that's what is being recommended so much, but is that an MOA gun? I know so much of the answer to that will vary from gun to gun and how it's been getting treated for the last 59 or more years. It's such a variable to me about getting an old classic that I wonder if I just need to get over it and pick out a new winchester 70.

What's a realistic expectation for a pre '64 winchester 70 in 30-06? I love that's what is being recommended so much, but is that an MOA gun? I know so much of the answer to that will vary from gun to gun and how it's been getting treated for the last 59 or more years. It's such a variable to me about getting an old classic that I wonder if I just need to get over it and pick out a new winchester 70.
When I realized how well my 300 H&H could shoot, I had a couple of older rifle gods say "They could make really good barrels back then but not always good bullets." I'm sure that factory production barrels are still a crap shoot even on older guns but they can be surprisingly good.
I guess we should not discount the fact that those rifles were built during a period where people actually still had pride in fitting and workmanship.

I bought mine from an estate sale in Bend, OR. Original owner used the heck out of it so it had a lot of bluing and wood wear. Functionally it was excellent and the bore was perfect so he took pains to properly care for the rifle after shooting and hunting. There was zero information to be had regarding what I was getting. The rifle shot all 3 loads tried fairly well as delivered (100% stock). Certainly well enough to hunt with. I did a couple of tweaks that were cosmetically invisible and tweaked one of the loads which resulted in the old gun shooting as well as any custom I could have bought or built.

I would say you should be able to get a solid MOA out of such a rifle in 30-06 if it is in good shape, you test ammo and you can drive a light weight, moderate recoiling rifle consistently off of a bench.

./

Circa Summer of 1974. Cape Lisburne, home for a year my Uncle sent me to keep an eye on Ivan on the other side of the Straight.

No fancy camo, no signature boots, just Chuck Taylors and wool socks.. when warm enough on our hikes down the damp tundra of the Caribou Valley, or the beach of the Arctic, the CTs are near perfect. No Gore-Tex lined hikers.

30-06 with irons. Nanuqs roam the area, optics are no go.

The Arctic Ocean in the background.
View attachment 8257010

OD greens, Chuck Taylors, Model 70 with irons

Straight up OG

For years I have been searching to find one of the 51 Model 70’s in a specific serial number range that coincides with the day my late grandfather was born, I found one in .375 H&H but it was a touch to rich for my blood.

Um. We gonna need tissues if you post rifles like that….

As to them being accurate, I have a ‘52 in .308, featherweight. Been used clearly, but good shape.

Shoots around .8” groups with 3 kinds of ammo (factory) and better with handloads.

Fortunately it shoots Fed HE with 180gr partitions darn well and I have a couple boxes.
Would snag more if I saw em.
Shoots hard and accurate.

./
First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD has a Remington custom shop 375 H&H for I think $1500.
Let me confirm.
BRB.

Yep, here it is.

He also carries a bunch of nice old guns, new customs, Kimber, Parkwest, Cooper and a bunch more.

Call 605-341-5211 and talk to Mark.

There are plenty of American made rifles that would be perfect for this. Most are too cheap or don't want to pay for American Labor and quality. There are literally hundreds of smiths who can spin up anything you want using nothing but American parts.
That's the problem, isn't it? What do I do for a high-quality, traditional American made bolt gun if I don't want to go to a smith? What's my factory option that looks as good as a Super Grade and shoots/functions as well as a Tikka?

Reactions: teddy12b
That's the problem, isn't it? What do I do for a high-quality, traditional American made bolt gun if I don't want to go to a smith? What's my factory option that looks as good as a Super Grade and shoots/functions as well as a Tikka?
Cooper, Kimber, Nesika/Dakota Arms, Ruger Hawkeye, Seekins, Proof Research, Weatherby.

Any rifle builder worth a shit, is a smith. Gunsmiths build rifles.

What you are asking for doesn't exist. I want a super grade but reliability of a tikka. They only place to get something like that is a custom rifle builder, be it in the US, Germany, UK, ect.

I know it's not wood stocked, but the Nosler 48 long range carbon uses a Mack Bros custom action (I believe) timney trigger, manners stock and proof research barrel.
Sounds pretty fuckin' 'MURICA to me
The action is not the same as the EVO

Reactions: DJL2
@DeathBeforeDismount - my point in mentioning the M70 was that such a thing DID exist and could still if they were produced with decent barrels and still made stateside. I think it's a little ridiculous that the market seems to gap between "race to the bottom" and low volume, high end guns. Hell, the Tikka T3 (or Bergara) would be (the Euro version of) that gun if they made it with a decent wood stock and actual bottom metal and charged you CTR money (was that the 595?).

I think the Seekins PH2 is a great rifle. I think the Weatherby Mk5 could be a great rifle if they would drop the damn Monte Carlo stock (which I think they're starting to get the memo on) and realize that some of us are adult enough to carry a rifle that weighs more than a large sandwich. @fdkay - didn't realize the Nosler 48 was on a Mack, thought I'd heard differently, looks good!

@DeathBeforeDismount - my point in mentioning the M70 was that such a thing DID exist and could still if they were produced with decent barrels and still made stateside. I think it's a little ridiculous that the market seems to gap between "race to the bottom" and low volume, high end guns. Hell, the Tikka T3 (or Bergara) would be (the Euro version of) that gun if they made it with a decent wood stock and actual bottom metal and charged you CTR money (was that the 595?).

I think the Seekins PH2 is a great rifle. I think the Weatherby Mk5 could be a great rifle if they would drop the damn Monte Carlo stock (which I think they're starting to get the memo on) and realize that some of us are adult enough to carry a rifle that weighs more than a large sandwich. @fdkay - didn't realize the Nosler 48 was on a Mack, thought I'd heard differently, looks good!
Cool rant. Feel free to start a company and fill this obviously massive gap in the market. I am sure VC will be lined up to throw money at this amazing venture as you meet the unmet demand of 5 fudds who are too poor to buy a modern American rifle.

Look at skilled labor rates from back then and today. Go look at how much a $1000 rifle was back in 1964. Spain and Finland are both MUCH cheaper to manufacture in, with a skilled workforce. Neither Bergera or Tikka are premium offerings. Ruger American is basically a tikka t3 knockoff and Bergera rifles are dogshit unless you get into their custom guns that are no fucking different than the 25 other semi custom guns you can buy.

If you want classic american steel and wood, go buy it. There are millions out there and you can get whatever you want from gunbroker, gun stores, arms lists or forums like this. No one is stopping you from buying a Pre-64 Winny or old ass Remington 7 or 700.

@DeathBeforeDismount - why would I do that when I can just buy an already existing product? The fact that it's not made in U.S. is a bummer, but wouldn't stop me from owning a Winchester, Tikka, Bergara, Howa, Weatherby or something else entirely if that's what I wanted. I couldn't say what the demand signal is, but I guess it's enough that multiple companies are already in the space to serve that market segment. Good enough for me.

^^^^^^^
that's a real beauty right there, the Belgium Brownings to me were unmatched in quality and workmanship dollar for dollar. I still have my first .22 takedown from ~1968. Love the old Brownings!!!

Reactions: Chipster697
As luck would have it I had a chance to handle a Ruger Hawkeye guide gun in 30-06, and a Winchester featherweight in 25-06. Between the two, the Winchester had a much smoother action, but the Ruger had a better trigger. The fit and finish on the Winchester was a step above the Ruger. I have no clue how they would have compared being shot next to each other, but that always comes down to ammo selection anyway. The featherweight is listed at 7# and the Ruger at 8# and holding the two I would say that was correct. I didn't care for the look of the funky colored laminate ruger stock, but I would assume if I swapped that out there could be a weight savings there. I also liked the idea of fixed iron sights on the gun just in case something would happen to the scope during a hunt. The hunt for the right rifle continues.

Reactions: Chipster697
As luck would have it I had a chance to handle a Ruger Hawkeye guide gun in 30-06, and a Winchester featherweight in 25-06. Between the two, the Winchester had a much smoother action, but the Ruger had a better trigger. The fit and finish on the Winchester was a step above the Ruger. I have no clue how they would have compared being shot next to each other, but that always comes down to ammo selection anyway. The featherweight is listed at 7# and the Ruger at 8# and holding the two I would say that was correct. I didn't care for the look of the funky colored laminate ruger stock, but I would assume if I swapped that out there could be a weight savings there. I also liked the idea of fixed iron sights on the gun just in case something would happen to the scope during a hunt. The hunt for the right rifle continues.

Consider adding the MCARBO trigger springs if getting a Model 70

Here you go.

Reactions: lash and Modoc
Thanks for all the help everyone, I genuinely appreciate it. After a lot of debate and mental turmoil I've decided on a new Winchester 70 featherweight in 30-06. Now.... the issue becomes..... What optic?

I have a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32 that's a discontinued model with capped turrets and a FFP and Christmas tree reticle that I like. If that were available to buy today I would.

Depends on if you go full lightweight or not. I have a Razor LHT and I like it a lot, it's pretty light for a "hybrid" hunting/precision scope.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I genuinely appreciate it. After a lot of debate and mental turmoil I've decided on a new Winchester 70 featherweight in 30-06. Now.... the issue becomes..... What optic?

I have a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32 that's a discontinued model with capped turrets and a FFP and Christmas tree reticle that I like. If that were available to buy today I would.
So, use the Viper on this rifle and find something else for whatever platform it’s on now. Or, since it’s likely that this will have only a specific use for long hints and won’t get used much outside of that, just share.

The M70 Featherweight is never a bad choice. The Portuguese rifles are very nice as are the SC BACO guns. Also, the H&R Model 330/340 are very underated rifles built on a commercial FN98 action high quality walnut stock and a douglass barrel. This one is chambered in .300WM and a shooter.
They bring $500-$700 when you can find them and on par with the JC Higgins 50's/51's.

TM6

P1170869.JPG

P1170872.JPG

If I lived i the USA I would get a pre owned Champlin&Haskins rifle in an Elk kaliber like 7mm Rem for my bucket list hunt.
The action on these are, subjectively, by far the best action on any hunting rifle ever. When the bolt closes on these you feel that you can load 64gr of plutonium behind the 7mm Barnes 168gr LRX bullet.
The lockup on this action is insane. The second row of locking lugs have the length of the election port , and locks perfectly on the rear bridge. It is a 60 deg action.

Last edited:
So, use the Viper on this rifle and find something else for whatever platform it’s on now. Or, since it’s likely that this will have only a specific use for long hints and won’t get used much outside of that, just share.
That's probably exactly what will happen.

So, wait a tick, you want an American made rifle, but are putting an Asian made scope on it?
Seems to me that the Vortex AMG, Greeley made Steiner or Burris or a Leupold should be your only considerations.

So, wait a tick, you want an American made rifle, but are putting an Asian made scope on it?
Seems to me that the Vortex AMG, Greeley made Steiner or Burris or a Leupold should be your only considerations.
Fair point. I didn't even think of that aspect of it, but yeah I am. I'm a big fan of Vortex for all they do for the PRS sport and especially their support of the Guardian matches. If there was a comparable scope out there for the size, reticle, and weight of the one I've got I'd consider it.

Why on earth would anyone even consider a 30-06 to hunt with. We are now into the age of 30° shouldered short fat cartridges that can out perform any old long cartridges. WTH?

Not just the embarrassment of shooting at an animal with it, can a 180+ grain 30 caliber bullet even do the work? I don't even think they make brass for the thing anymore. Y'all are crazy.
You shut your whore mouth!

1699487461649.gif

The one rifle I would never part with is a pre 1939 model 70 in 30-06. Original with usage wear on the finish and blueing and still a shooter. It's done exactly what it's supposed to do for nearly a century and three generations of family so far. There is a post 1939 model 70 in .270, not quite as old and all original too. The current loads were developed many years ago for both and neither fires more than 20 rounds in a year, they are not used for general plinking, just to confirm zero and hunt.

Classics are classic for a reason and it doesn't get much more classic.

The Ruger Hawkeye is a good hunting rifle that meets the requirements. I also have a new production Winchester Model 70 in .30-06, and she’s a beauty and shoots flawlessly.

The Ruger Hawkeye is a good hunting rifle that meets the requirements. I also have a new production Winchester Model 70 in .30-06, and she’s a beauty and shoots flawlessly.

Odds are pretty good I'm going elk hunting next year. I've got plenty of rifles, but most of them are geared towards the tactical or competition side and not really setup to be lightweight going up and down steep hills. On the one hand, this is going to be a gun that might end up sitting under a tarp with me in the rain for days on end. On the other hand this could be something that pops an elk on day 1 if I have beginners luck and then it's back in the safe. I'm a veteran and go to rifle competitions usually finishing in the top third of a match. I know everyone on the internet says they can shoot, and I won't say I'm the best by any means, but I'm a competent shot. For the purposes of a hunt, I'd be putting a limit on myself of 500 yards max.

*I'm kinda stuck on the 30-06. I have just always had a soft spot in my heart for it. I know there's bigger and better cartridges, but the 30-06 and I go way back.

*I'm torn between something with bombproof durability like an old ruger paddle gun, vs something in a walnut stock that will have the nicks and scratches of a well worn hunt that will also be a beautiful rifle to hand to my son or grandsons some day.

*I've never had a controlled round feed rifle, so I'm attracted to that more out of curiosity than anything else. I could take it or leave it though because I've ran a bolt action enough times to know a push feed is just fine.

*I'm trying to limit the rifles I'm looking at to an all American classic type of rifle. Something that's built in the USA and always has been. At first I was thinking of a Winchester 70, then realized where they're made. Then I got thinking of a Browning, then realized where they're made now too. Is there a factory option besides a Ruger that fits what I'm looking for? Nothing against Ruger, I'm just trying to look at all my options.

*I understand that a there's nothing more American than a custom rifle, and if I did that I like the looks of the foundation micarta stocks in some combination of a barreled action that can be at 7# ish without scope.

Thoughts?
My go to 30-06 is an older pushfeed Win M70 Featherweight that came from the factory in a McMillan stock. Those in that era were made in New Haven Connecticut. I recently purchased a new Remarms 700 ADL 7mm RM which is made in the US. I put it in a KRG stock and without scope it's in the 8 lb 14 oz range. I think you could shave off some weight using a Boyd's laminate or sticking with the factory stock. IMO Remington has really stepped up the quality control, although I've made the poorly made bankruptcy 700's shoot well. Here's a group from my Rem 700 shooting off a backpack that kept settling on each shot. It was so low that I could even fit a rear bag in lol. I'm still in load developement with only 30 rounds down the tube at this point.
1699532490969.jpeg

Last edited:
20” 30-06 getting it done in the PA rifle season on what is now my largest buck to date with the 178gr ELD-X at 2800 fps.

Rifle is built on an M7 Mausingfield with a Carbon 6 Barrel, Manners stock and Hawkins bottom metal, only non American part is the Triggertech but since Canada is America’s hat I’ll let it slide.

IMG_8218.jpeg

The action must be lucky as it’s the same one I used to kill my bear a few years back though every other part has been changed.

IMG_8735.jpeg

20231126_172137.jpg

Well, the rifle I selected got to go on a warm up hunt. I went to Texas with a friend from church to a family member of his ranch. I'd never hunted in Texas, and I'd never hunted hogs. This was all over feeders so certainly not a tough hunt and certainly not a long shot. Most blinds to feeders distances were around 65 yards. This particular pig was the largest in the group and when I hit it broadside with a 168gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock it barely reacted to the extent my buddy thought I may have missed. As it ran I fired a second shot while it was moving and that's the shot far back in the gut. I was hoping the follow up shot would anchor the animal, but it didn't go another 10 into the brush and the first shot had clearly done its job. I didn't get a picture from the other side, but the results were very effective. Since the hunt, the rifle went to a stock gunsmith for a full bedding job. I'm waiting on some type S Redding dies to work up a load since my old dies were decent but I wanted better going forward. The rifle will be ready an elk hunt the fall of 2024. It was a nice rifle to should, carry and shoot. I don't have any complaints and I look forward to seeing what it can do for accuracy with a quality hunting bullet.

Thanks again for all the advice I received here. I've kept a leather bound journal for this rifle that'll be passed down with it and some day my son or grandchildren will have the gun and the stories that go with it.

168 TTSX have done nothing but kill every elk I have shot with them, including a bull at 518. I have only recovered two of the bullets, the rest went on their way. One was a frontal shot; it was in the back ham. The other was 414 on a big bull and it poked through a rib on the way in, blew through the off side humorous ball and was up against the hide. One lost 12 grains ( one petal) and the other lost 20 grains (2 petals). Love that bullet.

Seat them .050 off the lands and do a powder charge test. 50.4gns varget/ cci 200 has been a very accurate load in 3 different browning '06 rifles. It doesnt show any pressure signs in any of the 3 but obviously work up.

Reactions: teddy12b and lash