• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite .22 to Suppress

DustyRoads91

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Irrigon , Oregon
For those of you out there who have the ability to enjoy a suppressed .22, which one do you have, how quiet and how accurate is it compared to others? I have a Ruger American Rimfire in .22 that is super quiet but compared side by side to a savage bolt action .22 it's actually noticeably louder. Idk if it's the difference in sound from the firing pin dropping between the two or what but it sort of bothered me so I was wondering what other guns you guys are having success with in being as quiet as possible. I have a couple acres with neighbors so would like to continue to pull the trigger on something without hearing about it from them. Plus it's kind of fun having a contest for the quietest rifle, as long as there is nobody around who's against the HPA.

Last edited:
Mine is a SBRed 10/22 with a 5" barrel and folding stock. I put a bolt lock in it, so it can be semi or a super quiet single shot

10/22 with a 16" 9 twist barrel. If you get a 10/22 make sure you change out the metal bolt stop pin an install or fab up one out of nylon, much quieter. If you have a lathe it's very easy to do, an can be done with a drill press or just a cordless drill as well. I get my stock from walmart in the kitchen crap, (nylon spoons for big pots) 3 will cost you about 99 cents and you can make a double hand fill. The other option is gay-bay, they sell the Gucci line.

So gunfighter your just drilling out your spoon handles and inserting the bolt stop pin in them before reinstalling?
Your going to replace the bolt stop pin
The spoons are to large in diameter. You have to reduce the outside diameter to 1/4" (0.250) and the length needs to be cut to 1 &1/4inchs (1.250) total. The metal bolt stop is what causes most of the noise in the receiver when the bolt hits it, the nylon will reduce it big time. Another way is to use a nail inside of 1/4 inch (0.250 O/D) it's quieter yet but does not last as long depending the durometer of the rubber your using.

Gotcha I've never heard of that one before I'll have to give it a try.

You can thank the izzys they perfected CQ with the 10/22 way,way back.
If you do a full blown izzy build you will get bolt gun quiet-ness. I did one years ago, and shot it threw/out the window an folks standing right outside never knew it fired until they heard the rd hit the target.

Add,... If you shoot the 60 gr aguila sss in a properly built rifle, should you ever have to shoot in a urban setting, you'll be amazed how well it works to 250yds on removing pests/vermin be they small or large.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by Izzy ? I'm curious though on what that build looks like?

Israel, they have more experience shooting 10/22's in a unban setting than anyone else, including the US Military. The build is extensive (and not cheap if you can not do it your self) as the bolt an receiver require machining, then fitting with the proper durometer of rubber snub's.

DFOO, the two rifles were both 16" barrel with the same CCI standard velocity ammo, I really seemed like it was just a louder firing pin for some reason. Do you have any suggestions on a good direction for a custom bolt action ?

So far, the only two rimfire rifles I've used my Spectre II on are custom 22RF trainers - Stiller 2500XR w/24" Krieger, and Rem 40X repeater with 26" Benchmark. I fitted & chambered both bbls myself, and cut the threads to SWR/Silencerco's thread spec sheet. Don't know for certain that it avoided any accuracy problems, but I counter-bored the muzzles to the depth of the threaded tenon so if cutting it down for 1/2-28 threads did cause the threaded portion at the muzzle to expand & enlarge bore dia, it wouldn't have any effect on accuracy. I use nothing but std vel match grade ammo, and it's pretty quiet out of bbls of this length. However, every once-in-awhile, I'll get a much louder report when shooting Wolf Match Extra - seems there are a few rounds in a brick that are producing quite a bit more velocity than the norm.

A work gun we have is a tac'd out looking bolt savage in .22. It works wonders.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gotcha, I've been looking at some nice looking custom rifles like an Anschutz or Volquartsen. I just have a hard time justifying that much money on a .22 LR even though I'm sure they are worth it.

Cz455 is a great rifle to suppress.

Anything bolt action will be much easier to suppress over a semi auto. Pick something you like and go nuts with it

[No message]

Attachments

• photo48511.jpg
    photo48511.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 23
  • photo48512.jpg
    photo48512.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 22
I absolutely love my CZ455, it's a blast to shoot and its stupid accurate. I love the bolt action suppressed .22, pics above I haven't completely figured out posting pics...

I have several .22lr hosts, from 22/45 pistols, 10/22 rifles and an S&W 15-22. My hands down favorite is the 15-22, and all the 10/22's have Kidd triggers. The 15-22 is that good, although it does have a Geissele SD-E in it. My 10/22 SBR almost never comes out of the safe.

MidCities, I'm working on trying to figure out which 15/22 I want to buy, my buddy has one SBRd and it is such a fun gun to shoot. Plus I think they would be badass for training.

I know my 455 with the krg stock is quite stout. A good sling makes a great addition when hiking through a field.