• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite AR Barrel length

redroan45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2010
Ashton, Idaho
So what is your favortie barrel length for your AR and why? I dont want to hear "it depends on intended use" either. If you could only have one AR set up, what would it be and why.

I currently have a 18" heavy barreled RRA with a Magpul PRS, and Daniel Defence Quadrail. I sold my 16" AR and wish I had kept it because i now feel that is the best balance between reaching out and in your face manuverablity. I am currently getting the funds together for a 16" POF that will be outfitted with a shortdot.

Re: Favorite AR Barrel length

One length to do it all for me would be 18''

Not too bad for CQB, you wont be able to do as much as 10-16 but wont keep you from manuevering.

Good accuracy at a decent range.

Should have made a poll.

If you're specifically talking 5.56, then 10.5-11.5" Portability and handling are primary considerations. With that little varmint cartridge it's strictly an up close weapon...unless of course we're talking about shooting little critters. If I want to reach out to distances then there are better calibers and a little longer barrel might be appropriate for me...YMMV

one barrel length would do it for me.. 14.5" long enough to reach out, small enough to use for cqb.. got enough barrel length to get decent velocity...

Well I like 16" because its close to 14.5 AND I can readily switch muzzle devices without much of a hassle. Its mostly a CQB rabbit killer and I really dont see myself engaging zombie elephants at 900 yards, so it just seems like the perfect length to me. But since this is the internet I must say, I can easily hit that elephant at 900 if I wanted to...

My only "problem" is that Im not sure what optic I should have for it. I got an ACOG for free and its great, but most bunny shooting is very close. An aimpoint T-1 sounds cool. Maybe Ill get one with a magnifier.

I prefer a 20" A3 upper with a PRS stock, plus a sidearm for any zombies that get too close. Bigger is better right? I don't find the extra 4" vs a 16" all that cumbersome or heavy, and it gets a bit more velocity as well as fits me better.

Its a good all around weapon, and easily hits out to 600yds with a 4x or 1-4x scope.

JPach - You should trade me your free Acog for my Eotech
whistle.gif

I'd take a 16" midlength. The SBRs are nice for close in shooting, and they can place round accurately out at longer distances, but the terminal effects of those rounds are compromised. I've also shot longer guns and I find that for the diminishing returns you see regarding velocity above 16 inches that the added length and weight aren't worth it for general usage. I've shot competitively both long range matches and CQB stuff with a SPR style rifle (18" barrel) and I can tell you that it's a pain to carry around with you after a day in the sun when you're shooting long range, and in a CQB setting it's definitely slower and more cumbersome to handle than a lighter, shorter rifle. You can definitely feel the length and weight of the 18" setup when you're quickly swinging between targets at close range. In my experience the 16" is well suited to the widest range of tasks.

Right tool for the job. I like my 14" for entries and street work. If I'm going long I go with the 20" or my 24" in .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M25BeastShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right tool for the job. I like my 14" for entries and street work. If I'm going long I go with the 20" or my 24" in .308. </div></div>

Do you prefer the 20" or the 24" on your .308's?

One barrel length only would definitely be the 16" with OPS 12th suppressor mounted. Don't get me wrong, I like my SBRs with or wihout suppressor, but my Krieger medium contour 16" with 12th mounted gives you 95% of what 5.56 offers, and isn't that heavy, big, or hard to handle.

14.5" with a QD suppressor mount for 5.56, unless you want the NFA wait, and then I'd go 11.5" for an extra bit of dwell time for the bullet in the barrel past the gas port.

No longer than 18" for 7.62. I'd save 24" for hotter rounds in bolt guns. The only rifle I have with a barrel longer than 18" is my 7mmRM deer rifle.

I am running a 24" heavy bull barrel on my 5.56 upper, 1:8 RH twist and i love it. not really CQB but gets the job done lol

prefer my 14.5 for my 5.56, most fire fights happen in my experience within 100-200 meters. If I'm support with a .308 i prefer 18-20. I would love to test the experience of a 20" vs 24" which I am in the process of deciding whether or not to build a 24".

My next AR15 upper build will have an 18" SPR barrel. It will probably be a little nose heavy, but that's ok. I really think the best option is going to a bullpup like the MSAR, but I'm not ready to buy yet.

I have 2 AR10 uppers and I'm thinking 16 - 18 is the best length for balance and the weight of the rifle. I want a can for it when I finally get them sorted out. If I was going to a longer barrel it would only be for a .260 upper. Even then, I don't believe the extra length is necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dareposte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer a 20" A3 upper with a PRS stock, plus a sidearm for any zombies that get too close. Bigger is better right? I don't find the extra 4" vs a 16" all that cumbersome or heavy, and it gets a bit more velocity as well as fits me better.

Its a good all around weapon, and easily hits out to 600yds with a 4x or 1-4x scope.

JPach - You should trade me your free Acog for my Eotech
whistle.gif
</div></div>

LOL can you at least provide the lube?

You know, an Eotech does sound nice. I really like the reticle. I just havent had the chance to shoot with one yet.

not to derail the forum, but the vortex red dot beats the shit out of eotech IMO. It can change from green to red, it has a nightvision button for NV goggles. And to top it off it has a magnifier that you screw into it to magnify the target. And its like 1/2 price of a eotech.

Noveske 12.5'" Crusader barrel is darn accurate and still performs well at distances to 500 yds no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My next AR15 upper build will have an 18" SPR barrel. <span style="font-weight: bold"> It will probably be a little nose heavy, but that's ok. </span> I really think the best option is going to a bullpup like the MSAR, but I'm not ready to buy yet.

I have 2 AR10 uppers and I'm thinking 16 - 18 is the best length for balance and the weight of the rifle. I want a can for it when I finally get them sorted out. If I was going to a longer barrel it would only be for a .260 upper. Even then, I don't believe the extra length is necessary.</div></div>

If you're doing anything where you have to carry the rifle around with you for any length of time, the weight will wear on you. Also, shooting offhand is quickly tiring with a SPR barrel. I know these things because I've done it. Carrying around a SPR at matches for a few months led me to reconfigure my rifle with a significantly lighter barrel.

If I could only have one, it would be a 20".

When I was allowed only one a 20" fit the bill in most situations.

However I don't have to have just one now, so I choose the correct tool for the job.

20 inch . I cut my teeth on a hydramatic division of general motors m16.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwb47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20 inch . I cut my teeth on a hydramatic division of general motors m16. </div></div>

Funny,my first issue M16 was a GM Hydromatic,almost everyone else had Colt or Remington.I was a Ford guy too!!!

Back on topic,I prefer a 16" BBL for 95% of what I do with an AR.Even if I could own a SBR legally here,I believe you need NFA permission to cross state lines with one.A 16" BBL is legal everywhere an AR15 is.

12.5 has my vote. My LMT 12.5 gives me a muzzle velocity of 2900-2930 fps, my 11.5 is around 2800 and my 10.5 varies between 2670 and 2730. Keep in mind that a 16 inch will give you 3100 fps.... All this is with the 55gr XM193.

I have shot my 12.5 to 300 yards with ease, I found the shorter 11.5 slightly more difficult to obtain hits and the 10.5 about the same. The 10.5 does give a different report when it hits steel at distance, it sounds very non-threatening. Velocity is a key ingredient when it comes to stopping a threat.

A 16" rifle can shoot (supersonic) to over 900 yards.
It takes a lot of barrel to pick up an extra 100 yards.
It's a good sized match for the .223 rem cartridge.

I also feel the 16" is the best combination for my AR's. Rarely use my 20" AR's any more.

A carbine gas system, on a 16" barrel, can run as good as any other.
I have never had a single issue, in thousands of rounds each, from either my riles, or my carbines.
I've never actually met anyone who had any issues with a carbine length gas system either.
I do have a few rounds through a mid length 16" barreled rifle, and it runs fine as well.

I have a solid understanding of physics, and I can't fathom why others say that my carbines shouldn't run well, when in theory they should, and then they always do.

Scooter-PIE:
I know what you are saying.
The 20" rifles are always a pleasure to shoot.
I'm a HP-SR shooter, so I have a definite "soft spot" for these rifles.

I have a 10.5", 11.5", 12.5", 3 16", and one 18". My "go to" rifle is the 12.5".

20" for me for most uses. Good balance,velocity, and tracks AGOGs better.

16" midlength, light weight, 1-7. Good balance and manuverability. Can stabalize the heavier projectilies and reach out when needed. My $.02

20", like the balance and much quieter than the 14.5" that I had.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My next AR15 upper build will have an 18" SPR barrel. <span style="font-weight: bold"> It will probably be a little nose heavy, but that's ok. </span> I really think the best option is going to a bullpup like the MSAR, but I'm not ready to buy yet.

I have 2 AR10 uppers and I'm thinking 16 - 18 is the best length for balance and the weight of the rifle. I want a can for it when I finally get them sorted out. If I was going to a longer barrel it would only be for a .260 upper. Even then, I don't believe the extra length is necessary.</div></div>

If you're doing anything where you have to carry the rifle around with you for any length of time, the weight will wear on you. Also, shooting offhand is quickly tiring with a SPR barrel. I know these things because I've done it. Carrying around a SPR at matches for a few months led me to reconfigure my rifle with a significantly lighter barrel. </div></div>

Knowing the guys you run with, I'm willing to bet that your SPR bbl was a Noveske. Noveske's 18" SPR bbl is not a true SPR contour. It's supposed to be the same weight, 38oz, but I think with a tapered contour it really effects the balance vs. the stepped contour that defines the real SPR contour.

I swear that the weight feels way worse if the rifle is unbalanced. That's why I put an UBR on my SPR type AR. It handles pretty damn great with an aimpoint on top. Sometime you should check out my build.

I personally like the 18" SPR contoured barrel best. My SPR build is the one do-everything build that truly has never disappointed me. Everything else I've made with different barrel lengths and contours have been way too "specialized". Funny considering that the SPR is the "Special Purpose Rifle".

14.5" -Run and gun inside.
16" -Run and gun outside.
20" HBAR -Sit down and shoot little groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My next AR15 upper build will have an 18" SPR barrel. <span style="font-weight: bold"> It will probably be a little nose heavy, but that's ok. </span> I really think the best option is going to a bullpup like the MSAR, but I'm not ready to buy yet.

If you're doing anything where you have to carry the rifle around with you for any length of time, the weight will wear on you. Also, shooting offhand is quickly tiring with a SPR barrel. I know these things because I've done it. Carrying around a SPR at matches for a few months led me to reconfigure my rifle with a significantly lighter barrel. </div></div>

Knowing the guys you run with, I'm willing to bet that your SPR bbl was a Noveske. Noveske's 18" SPR bbl is not a true SPR contour. It's supposed to be the same weight, 38oz, but I think with a tapered contour it really effects the balance vs. the stepped contour that defines the real SPR contour.

I swear that the weight feels way worse if the rifle is unbalanced. That's why I put an UBR on my SPR type AR. It handles pretty damn great with an aimpoint on top. Sometime you should check out my build.

I personally like the 18" SPR contoured barrel best. My SPR build is the one do-everything build that truly has never disappointed me. Everything else I've made with different barrel lengths and contours have been way too "specialized". Funny considering that the SPR is the "Special Purpose Rifle".

14.5" -Run and gun inside.
16" -Run and gun outside.
20" HBAR -Sit down and shoot little groups.</div></div>

My SPR barrel is actually from WOA. You're definitely right that balance is important! Currently I'm running a 16" barrel on my gaming gun.

14.5" for 5.56
16" for 7.62

IMO these are best options for a well rounded rifle. If a specific application is in mind then of course this will vary.

14.5" with a permanent flash hider gives you the short barrel, without the sbr bull shit.

My favorite so far that I've shot is 14.5 in. midlength. Awesome balance.

All depends on caliber in my book. For an "all purpose" weapon I'd take my 223 with a heavy grain bullet and throw it out of a 16" barrel.