• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

favorite AR barrel that's not Hodge

After talking to a few folks I went from wanting a 12.5 to a 14.5 and a more light weight contour to a socom contour. Looking at a centurion arms CHF enhanced socom barrel with a CA bolt and gas block

I'm going to be adding one of those barrels to my spring test que. Medium contour (SOCOM) barrels are an excellent compromise between weight, accuracy and heat handling. The Centurion SOCOM enhanced has some nice changes from the Colt SOCOM barrel: the mid-length gas system and the elimination of the M203 notches. And of course the Centurion gas port diameter of 0.075" works great for 14.5" mid-length gas system barrels. That's the same diameter of the gas port on the 14.5" Hodge barrel that I tested, which had zero function failures with any of the loads I fired from it.

It will be interesting to see how the accuracy of the Centurion E-SOCOM compares to the Colt SOCOM.

Colt M4A1 SOCOM Barrel Accuracy: Another Look

colt_m4a1_socom_upper_receiver_group_21-1305764.jpg

In 2010, I posted one of the first publicly available, in-depth accuracy evaluations of a Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel. At that time, the Colt SOCOM barrel was relatively new to the civilian market. Many people, including myself, were pleasantly surprised by the level of accuracy/precision that I obtained with the SOCOM barrel; particularly since it is a chrome-lined, NATO chambered “military-grade” barrel. Since that time, the Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel has developed a significant appreciation amongst AR-15 enthusiasts.

The M4A1 SOCOM barrel
colt_m4_socom_barrel_01_resized-1305762.jpg

colt_m4_socom_barrle_02_rsized-1305763.jpg

Recently, I assembled another upper receiver group based on the Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel. This new build features a Colt cage-code marked M4 upper receiver, a Colt “C” marked bolt carrier group and a 13” Geissele MK14 M-LOK free-float hand-guard.

colt_socom_21d_resized-1305765.jpg

A genuine Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel is 14.5” long and has a medium contour; it is not an HBAR. The barrel has a 5.56mm NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist.

Colt SOCOM barrel
stripped_socom_barrel_02_resized-1305778.jpg

Colt HBAR
colt_16_inch_hbar_6721_02-1305761.jpg

A genuine SOCOM barrel has the typical M4 circumferential cut-out located approximately 1.4” forward of the gas block for the attachment of an M203, as well as rectangular shaped cut-outs underneath the hand-guards on the port and starboard sides of the barrel, located approximately 1.4” aft of the gas block, for the same reason. The gas port on a genuine SOCOM barrel has a diameter of 0.062” and the barrel employs a carbine-length gas system.

The SOCOM barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 14 ounces. That is only 2 ounces heavier than the ubiquitous 16” government profile barrel found on the Colt 6920.

Colt SOCOM barrel

Colt 6920 barrel
Colt_16_inch_government_profile_6920_bar-1305760.jpg

The stripped weight of the SOCOM barrel is 5 ounces heavier than the stripped weight of the standard Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. The pic below shows the difference between the standard M4 barrel and the SOCOM barrel. From the gas block journal forward, the two barrels are identical

SOCOM barrel on top, standard barrel on bottom
socom_barrel_comparison_to_standard_m4_b-1305776.jpg

The next pic is a close-up comparing the two barrels in the area between the chamber and the gas block journal, showing you were the extra weight is added.

socom_barrel_comparison_02-1305775.jpg

The date-code on my original SOCOM barrel was “11/03” and the date-code on my newer SOCOM barrel is “02/18”

date_code_fro_socom_barrel_01-1305768.jpg

new_socom_barrel_date_code_01_resized-1305773.jpg

My original SOCOM barrel hand an “F-marked” front sight base. Colt no longer stamps an “F” on their front sight bases, but their newer front sight bases maintain the length of 1.98” from the top of the barrel to the shelf for the front sight post.

f_marked_front_sight_base_of_socom_barre-1305770.jpg

f_marked_front_sight_base_comparison_21-1305769.jpg

My original SOCOM barrel was stamped:

“C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7”

The newer SOCOM barrel is stamped with Colt’s cage code.

“13629 M P 5.56 NATO 1/7”

socom_barrel_stamp_01_resized-1305777.jpg

new_colt_socom_barrel_stamp_01_resized-1305772.jpg

Both of these SOCOM barrels have the “O” stamp near the chamber portion of the barrel, indicating the barrel has a chrome-lined chamber and bore. Naturally, the M4A1 SOCOM barrel has M4 feed ramps.

0_stamp_for_socom_barrel_01-1305759.jpg

m4_feed_ramps_of_socom_barrel_01-1305771.jpg

Accuracy Is Final

In 2010, my original SOCOM barrel with the “11/03” date-code produced a 10-shot group fired from a distance of 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.90”. That group was fired from my bench-rest set-up using match-grade hand-loads and a high magnification scope.

colt_socom_barrel_10_shot_group_at_10_ya-1305767.jpg

My newer SOCOM barrel with the “02/18” date-code produced a 10-shot group fired from a distance of 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.93”. This group was fired off of sand-bags using match-grade hand-loads and a high magnification scope.

colt_socom_2020_10_shot_group_at_100_yar-1305766.jpg

. . . .

Last edited:
I'm going to be adding one of those barrels to my spring test que. Medium contour (SOCOM) barrels are an excellent compromise between weight, accuracy and heat handling. The Centurion SOCOM enhanced has some nice changes from the Colt SOCOM barrel: the mid-length gas system and the elimination of the M203 notches. And of course the Centurion gas block diameter of 0.075" works great for 14.5" mid-length gas system barrels. That's the same diameter of the 14.5" Hodge barrel that I tested, which had zero function failures with any of the loads I fired from it.

It will be interesting to see how the accuracy of the Centurion E-SOCOM compares to the Colt SOCOM.

In 2010, I posted one of the first publicly available, in-depth accuracy evaluations of a Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel. At that time, the Colt SOCOM barrel was relatively new to the civilian market. Many people, including myself, were pleasantly surprised by the level of accuracy/precision that I obtained with the SOCOM barrel; particularly since it is a chrome-lined, NATO chambered “military-grade” barrel. Since that time, the Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel has developed a significant appreciation amongst AR-15 enthusiasts.

The M4A1 SOCOM barrel

Recently, I assembled another upper receiver group based on the Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel. This new build features a Colt cage-code marked M4 upper receiver, a Colt “C” marked bolt carrier group and a 13” Geissele MK14 M-LOK free-float hand-guard.

A genuine Colt M4A1 SOCOM barrel is 14.5” long and has a medium contour; it is not an HBAR. The barrel has a 5.56mm NATO chamber and a 1:7” twist.

Colt SOCOM barrel

Colt HBAR

A genuine SOCOM barrel has the typical M4 circumferential cut-out located approximately 1.4” forward of the gas block for the attachment of an M203, as well as rectangular shaped cut-outs underneath the hand-guards on the port and starboard sides of the barrel, located approximately 1.4” aft of the gas block, for the same reason. The gas port on a genuine SOCOM barrel has a diameter of 0.062” and the barrel employs a carbine-length gas system.

The SOCOM barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 14 ounces. That is only 2 ounces heavier than the ubiquitous 16” government profile barrel found on the Colt 6920.

Colt SOCOM barrel

Colt 6920 barrel

The stripped weight of the SOCOM barrel is 5 ounces heavier than the stripped weight of the standard Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. The pic below shows the difference between the standard M4 barrel and the SOCOM barrel. From the gas block journal forward, the two barrels are identical

The next pic is a close-up comparing the two barrels in the area between the chamber and the gas block journal, showing you were the extra weight is added.

The date-code on my original SOCOM barrel was “11/03” and the date-code on my newer SOCOM barrel is “02/18”

My original SOCOM barrel hand an “F-marked” front sight base. Colt no longer stamps an “F” on their front sight bases, but their newer front sight bases maintain the length of 1.98” from the top of the barrel to the shelf for the front sight post.

“C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7”

Both of these SOCOM barrels have the “O” stamp near the chamber portion of the barrel, indicating the barrel has a chrome-lined chamber and bore. Naturally, the M4A1 SOCOM barrel has M4 feed ramps.

Accuracy Is Final

In 2010, my original SOCOM barrel with the “11/03” date-code produced a 10-shot group fired from a distance of 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.90”. That group was fired from my bench-rest set-up using match-grade hand-loads and a high magnification scope.

My newer SOCOM barrel with the “02/18” date-code produced a 10-shot group fired from a distance of 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.93”. This group was fired off of sand-bags using match-grade hand-loads and a high magnification scope.

. . . .
I am really excited for that! Those barrels are notorious for a really good accuracy, but not being excessively front heavy like if you had a standard HBAR. your standard Colt or BCM socom isn’t very easy to find anymore, and with the addition of the Mid gas system I think it is a really good idea. I am exchanging emails with trajectory arms to see if I need to make any modifications to it in order to use the AEM3 revision that they are going to be releasing. It looks like a really solid reflex canned that isn’t going to be really long like the AEM5

Reactions: matt33
You called me a liar and a fraud then, and I see you are still at it. Simple truth of it all, I can build better than you, and as demonstrated multiple times now, I can shoot better than you...and you just can't accept that.

Site Staff said that you’re a liar. I said that you’re full of shit.

Tell us the name of your business and post a link to it and I’ll buy one of your 0.25 MOA Faxon 4150CMV government profile barreled uppers and do an accuracy evaluation of it using my best match grade hand-loads and post the results here. Then, I’ll send the upper to bfoosh006 for free and he can do an accuracy evaluation of it and post his results here. Then he can send the upper to padom who can do an accuracy evaluation of it and post his results.

Time to put-up or STFU FredHammer, or Gingerman, or whatever other user names you’re using on this website.

….

Site Staff said that you’re a liar. I said that you’re full of shit.

Tell us the name of your business and post a link to it and I’ll buy one of your 0.25 MOA Faxon 4150CMV government profile barreled uppers and do an accuracy evaluation of it using my best match grade hand-loads and post the results here. Then, I’ll send the upper to bfoosh006 for free and he can do an accuracy evaluation of it and post his results here. Then he can send the upper to padom who can do an accuracy evaluation of it and post his results.

Time to put-up or STFU FredHammer, or Gingerman, or whatever other user names you’re using on this website.

….
I'm game !
I have a large assortment of Factory ammo to try in them.
Including factory ammo that has been consistently 1.25 MOA in every AR I have fired... every time. 10rd groups.
Any specific ammo suggestions would be Welcome.
Even if I don't have a specific suggested Factory load, I will buy it on my dime.

How many rounds per group ? At least 10rds is a minimum.... again suggestions welcome.

Nah, fuck all that silly shit. Me and you at the 1000yd mark.

Day One of the excuses.

And we would still like to know why you're using two different user names on this website, Gingerman

I'm game !
I have a large assortment of Factory ammo to try in them.
Including factory ammo that has been consistently 1.25 MOA in every AR I have fired... every time. 10rd groups.
Any specific ammo suggestions would be Welcome.
Even if I don't have a specific suggested Factory load, I will buy it on my dime.

How many rounds per group ? At least 10rds is a minimum.... again suggestions welcome.
Whatever ammunition you want to use. Three 10-shot groups on a single piece of paper at 100 yards since that's the distance that Fredhammer/Gingerman says that he gets 0.25 MOA with his CMV, government profile Faxon barrels.

I'm going to be adding one of those barrels to my spring test que. Medium contour (SOCOM) barrels are an excellent compromise between weight, accuracy and heat handling. The Centurion SOCOM enhanced has some nice changes from the Colt SOCOM barrel: the mid-length gas system and the elimination of the M203 notches. And of course the Centurion gas port diameter of 0.075" works great for 14.5" mid-length gas system barrels. That's the same diameter of the gas port on the 14.5" Hodge barrel that I tested, which had zero function failures with any of the loads I fired from it.

The M4A1 SOCOM barrel

Colt SOCOM barrel

Colt HBAR

Colt SOCOM barrel

Colt 6920 barrel

“C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7”

Accuracy Is Final

. . . .
excellent
wish you'd do their midweight barrels too, mine is a laser

Take MOLON's cock out your mouth before you speak.

"Pretty Simple" I beat him with the Faxon barrel he says can't beat him...
it's pretty easy to post a link no? you look real bad here, clearly lying and full of shit. In addition to that, your responses clearly indicate a lack of intellect, upbringing and breeding. Where I come from, we call that white trash but here on the hide, it's 'soon to be banned'

and I guarantee you wouldn't act so tough in person

@Molon - I hear crickets. You devising a pan to have me banned, again, or what? Or we can just have a shoot.

I think you just being you will get you banned, no real input from Molon needed. Like before, you just got rekt when you refused to put up. Demanding he meet you in person somewhere it pretty retarded. I'd actually like to see you pull off your claims but I'm not exactly hopeful given how hard you're flailing. Several people offered to buy uppers from you and you refused, it doesn't get more clear cut than that.

You, you are confused.

No, I am not. Shooting piles of rocks is pretty unimpressive. I've been at this shooting thing a few minutes now and I've seen your type before. You won't be around very long and your claims will just be the punchline for anyone that cares to remember you.

@Molon - I hear crickets. You devising a pan to have me banned, again, or what? Or we can just have a shoot.
Why would you be banned again ?

Are you Gingerman or not ?

And posting your business info, shouldn't be hard. Even if you don't run a shop anymore.

What about the uppers ?
100yds will certain answer the question about your claims, since those are the groups you posted.
1000yds is fun as well, and I am sure you have shot even further, heck the first time I shot 1 mile I was very happy !

But this is now about 100yds, with those uppers and barrels.

Honestly, if you have assembled uppers with BA or Faxon barrels that can shoot like that, good for you. Seriously.

I would also like to see those uppers/barrels do that. For various reasons. So you could expect all sorts of questions... how, why, any tuning tricks... etc

Trying to provoke some one, into a "bigger dick" fight , really does not help your side of the story at all.

I am honestly trying to give you the benefit of my doubt... and have no issue being proven wrong.

No one said you can't shoot.

I believe the question was about your claim concerning the specific barrels , Faxon 16"and BA SPR Fluted 18"producing groups like your pictures.

Before you start calling me names ( and whose dick I suck )... please answer the questions above.

The various simple questions above are not difficult to answer.

I think you just being you will get you banned, no real input from Molon needed. Like before, you just got rekt when you refused to put up. Demanding he meet you in person somewhere it pretty retarded. I'd actually like to see you pull off your claims but I'm not exactly hopeful given how hard you're flailing. Several people offered to buy uppers from you and you refused, it doesn't get more clear cut than that.
just ignore him, he's a loser and not worthy of any response. Treat him a like child whose acting up

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
2006 Dumbass. You're 2019 join and telling me what you've seen here. You are laughable. Rocks are unimpressive? Fine, lets me and you have a shoot off somewhere then. Oh, but to do something off the keyboard...I know you will bitch out too.

I would like to buy two of your uppers with BA barrels. Let me know where to send funds.

Reactions: BCP

I don't really care what you do and I have no real dog in the fight. I'd like to see you get it together but there just isn't any reason to take you serious. I'd buy uppers from you right now, just like others would, but it doesn't sound like you're into it. Have a good night.

I will ask again.
Are you Ginger man ?

If so, having 2 profiles is very odd. ... Any more then those ? And not just here at Snipershide.
Even I feel like I recognize you . .. or least some of your comments.

If you have multipule profiles here, where else do you have numerous different names at an idividual webpage.

I have to say, that seems dubious by itself.

If I met you on the street, and you gave me different names... I would most certainly question your motives.

And again, remember "we" didn't say you can't shoot, I just have never seen a Faxon or BA barrel produce 20rd group results like that with IMI factory ammo.

And frankly, if they were that danged good, I honestly feel like I would see more posts with awesome groups from those barrels.

My experience with both those barrel brands has been hit or miss.. ( literially )

You've mentioned before these barrels were from years ago, do you think the barrels produced today are of th same quality today ?

Are you allowing any barrel cooling ?

What accuracy tuning "tricks" are you using when assmembling these uppers ?

I can't be as easy as you just threw them together.... because if it is, you REALLY should buy lottery tickets.

Or, Lol, reopen your business.

Ok, FredHammer is Gingerman.

I just saw enough evidence here on Snipershide, and I found all of this by myself. No one helped me.

At this point, I can't condone anyone intentionally hiding their Identity and then calling others liars, or they are full of shit.

I see now why you wouldn't answer some questions. So at least your morals are good enough to not straight out deny the truth.

FredHammer while you can shoot, flat out misleading people makes your actions and comments questionable to me , let alone your actual motives.

It is to bad.

I feel like you have a lot to show, and, offer, knowledge, experience and wisdom wise.

But again... your motives confuse me.

Please , I don't know why you feel the need to have so many different forum names, but I will respect your privacy and reasons on that subject.

And on other forums you are respectful, helpful and polite.

I wish it was the same here.

Last edited:
Ok, FredHammer is Gingerman.

I just saw enough evidence here on Snipershide, and I found all of this by myself. No one helped me.

At this point, I can't condone anyone intentionally hiding their Identity and then calling others liars, or they are full of shit.

I see now why you wouldn't answer some questions. So at least your morals are good enough to not straight out deny the truth.

FredHammer while you can shoot, flat out misleading people makes your actions and comments questionable to me , let alone your actual motives.

It is to bad.

I feel like you have a lot to show, and, offer, knowledge, experience and wisdom wise.

But again... your motives confuse me.

Please , I don't know why you feel the need to have so many different forum names, but I will respect your privacy and reasons on that subject.

And on other forums you are respectful, helpful and polite.

I wish it was the same here.
Changing names doesn't create two different accounts. It was a vain attempt to thwart a gunboard stalker I had that Rob01 handled for me in PMs. Now I think I/we/clowns have fucked this dude's thread up pretty good with unrelated drama about a topic I fear will never get put to bed through arguing. I shouldn't have broached the subject. So, it's my fault. Apologies to the OP.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Changing names doesn't create two different accounts. It was a vain attempt to thwart a gunboard stalker I had that Rob01 handled for me in PMs. Now I think I/we/clowns have fucked this dude's thread up pretty good with unrelated drama about a topic I fear will never get put to bed through arguing. I shouldn't have broached the subject. So, it's my fault. Apologies to the OP.

Aren't you the one following Molon around calling him names? All of your deleted comments are quoted so everyone can see them

Reactions: BCP
Aren't you the one following Molon around calling him names? All of your deleted comments are quoted so everyone can see them
You're right. I fucked with him this time. You get a Capt. Obvious badge for the second comment! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Thank You for being forthright.

Maybe we all can just let the shenanigans be water under the bridge. ( Fingers crossed )

I sure as heck can.

Back to the OP's actual question !

• Love
Reactions: FredHammer
I can honestly say this has been one of the more entertaining threads that I’ve read this week🤣

Thanks Fred for the entertainment! Having said, I did decide on a centurion arms barrel and hopefully if I can get my A.R. 15 sold in the PX pretty soon I will get all of this bought and paid for and I’ll have a nice rifle ready to go

I decided on a few changes

Centurion arms forged upper and lower receiver set
Centurion arms BCG
Centurion arms enhanced socom profile mid length gas barrel with lopro gas block pinned and 9315 4 prong flash hider
BCM QRF-12 handguard
TriggerTech Duty trigger 3.5lbs straight shoe
Geissele ultra duty LPK
B5 sopmod enhanced stock and type 23 grip
Bcm mk2 buffer system

It’s funny, because when I look at everything, it’s basically my version of a block 2 m4🤣

I can honestly say this has been one of the more entertaining threads that I’ve read this week🤣

Thanks Fred for the entertainment! Having said, I did decide on a centurion arms barrel and hopefully if I can get my A.R. 15 sold in the PX pretty soon I will get all of this bought and paid for and I’ll have a nice rifle ready to go

I decided on a few changes

Centurion arms forged upper and lower receiver set
Centurion arms BCG
Centurion arms enhanced socom profile mid length gas barrel with lopro gas block pinned and 9315 4 prong flash hider
BCM QRF-12 handguard
TriggerTech Duty trigger 3.5lbs straight shoe
Geissele ultra duty LPK
B5 sopmod enhanced stock and type 23 grip
Bcm mk2 buffer system

It’s funny, because when I look at everything, it’s basically my version of a block 2 m4🤣
So what I found out to be the “The break-in” culprit is the gas port hole. Both BA and WOA stainless are showing similar copper build up & metal migration muzzle side of the port. Good news is he migration does seem to stop at some point. About 120-150rnds. I think I’m aiding the smoothing process with Iosso paste suspended in oil and Thorroclean. That’s only in my head at this point tho. Maybe it’s just shooting the Daggum things.

I think why I was seeing better precision out the gate with the 4150 CMV barrels is severely less metal migration at the gas ports. My infamous Faxon barrel(s) for instance and possibly the nitride treatment shows little migration after 500rnds compared. I didn’t have a borescope to check 7-10yrs ago, but I do now. This now ability to see inside the barrels is by which I’m basing this hypothesis.

Also a potential consideration is the huge gas port sizes of 18” SPR barrels. .104-108” port sizes in rifle length systems. The smaller ports on 16” mid length gas systems in 4150 barrels show way less ugly ports! 🤣

So what I found out to be the “The break-in” culprit is the gas port hole. Both BA and WOA stainless are showing similar copper build up & metal migration muzzle side of the port. Good news is he migration does seem to stop at some point. About 120-150rnds. I think I’m aiding the smoothing process with Iosso paste suspended in oil and Thorroclean. That’s only in my head at this point tho. Maybe it’s just shooting the Daggum things.

I think why I was seeing better precision out the gate with the 4150 CMV barrels is severely less metal migration at the gas ports. My infamous Faxon barrel(s) for instance and possibly the nitride treatment shows little migration after 500rnds compared. I didn’t have a borescope to check 7-10yrs ago, but I do now. This now ability to see inside the barrels is by which I’m basing this hypothesis.

Also a potential consideration is the huge gas port sizes of 18” SPR barrels. .104-108” port sizes in rifle length systems. The smaller ports on 16” mid length gas systems in 4150 barrels show way less ugly ports! 🤣

The larger gas port on your 18” also had me wondering as a possible culprit. My WOA SPR from the Talk Like a Pirate Day sale is 20” so smaller gas port equals less risk I assume.

Being a disliker of hypochondria I don’t own a bore scope. :)

-Stan

The larger gas port on your 18” also had me wondering as a possible culprit. My WOA SPR from the Talk Like a Pirate Day sale is 20” so smaller gas port equals less risk I assume.

Being a disliker of hypochondria I don’t own a bore scope. :)

-Stan
Do you know the gas port size?
Borescopes are good when the user learns to analyze what they see correctly. There is a learning curve to them of course. Newer users will panic!

Reactions: stanley_white