• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite charity?

SRSDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2011
Northern CO
I'm doing a little project this summer, and will likely have an opportunity to raise a little money for a charity - Not a lot mind you, but at least a little something.

What charity would you donate a few hundred dollars to given the opportunity? There are lots of great ones, and some of them, like Wounded Warrior, have a pretty good program going on raising money through things like the Tough Mudder races...

How about some lesser known charities?

Thanks!

ETA - This is not a solicitation. I've already got the money lined up, assuming my stupid human tricks don't fail.

Re: Favorite charity?

My personal favorite is the American Red Cross. In an emergency like Katrina, I cant imagine anything Id rather see than the truck with the big red cross show up. Just gave them a nice check today.

Another is The Innocence Project www.innocenceproject.org a group that does DNA testing and gets guys that were wrongfully convicted of crimes they didnt do, set free. Cant imagine much worse than doing life or being executed for something you didnt do.

Just remember, you reap what you sow. Generosity always returns multiplied.

The Human Fund.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_z3RTwIWOw&sns=em"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X_z3RTwIWOw&sns=em" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Seriously though, AmericanSnipers.org or The Wounded Warrior Project would be my pick.

A lot of charities are full of shit and have massive overhead.

http://www.charitynavigator.org

For example: One touted here, <span style="font-style: italic">Wounded Warrior</span> is by comparison, a very <span style="text-decoration: underline">VERY</span> bad charity look it up and you'll be surprised how much overhead a lot of these 'charities' have. Basically many, but not all obviously, are just businesses created to support the founders/officers. If you donate a $100 to a charity with 80% overhead, you've only really donated $20 to the cause, $80 went to line some prick's pocket...

Personally, if I wanted to/could give, I'd go buy some art supplies and hand deliver them to a children's hospital or volunteer at a soup kitchen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of charities are full of shit and have massive overhead.

http://www.charitynavigator.org

For example: One touted here, <span style="font-style: italic">Wounded Warrior</span> is by comparison, a very <span style="text-decoration: underline">VERY</span> bad charity look it up and you'll be surprised how much overhead a lot of these 'charities' have. Basically many, but not all obviously, are just businesses created to support the founders/officers. If you donate a $100 to a charity with 80% overhead, you've only really donated $20 to the cause, $80 went to line some prick's pocket...

Personally, if I wanted to/could give, I'd go buy some art supplies and hand deliver them to a children's hospital or volunteer at a soup kitchen. </div></div>

Excellent point my friend. Before deciding on the Red Cross I did the research and found tha their overhead is about 15%. Not bad for an org that keeps such an infrastructure and does so much good. Some like United Way are just a bunch of greedy assholes. I seem to remember a post on them here a bit back so i wont go into it, but screw them.

Salvation Army. These folks mean it. I've been on their receiving end, and they know how to let go when they give. Others, not this much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Salvation Army. These folks mean it. I've been on their receiving end, and they know how to let go when they give. Others, not this much. </div></div>

Good one Greg. No scatology here
laugh.gif
I almost included it. A tad on the religous side but they do a LOT of good. And they walk the walk, really dedicated.

Homes for our troops
Fisher House

I was going to donate to the Wounded Warrior Project but they take like 45% off the top... not sure why does anyone know?

Edit: I didn't notice someone already brought up the Wounded Warrior thing..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ME!

or like you said Wounded Warriors, or The Boy Scouts </div></div>

I second that!!!

I remember years ago, there was a "Goodies for Grunts" system set up. One that had ABSOLUTELY ZERO overhead/administration costs.

It was all made up of people who cared, looking after soldiers who both needed AND appreciated. How's that for a concept, eh?

Instead of the "I'll volunteer my time for you, but what's in it for me.... " type mentality.

Donating for a cause is one thing. Actually going out and doing something for others is a whole different world. One of them counts, and you guess which one it is.

Most of my donations go to local entities within my community. I stay completely away from the UW and other large scale charities. I do like the WWP though.

Locals like...

Soup Kitchens
Youth Centers/Clubs
Police/Fire/Rescue
Rape/Crisis Centers
Continuing/adult Ed
Meals on Wheels
Hospice Providers

My experience with the Salvation Army was very clear and to the point. I needed help, they helped me. If there was religion in the mix, I honestly can't recall. It was back in '67, but even then I certainly wouldn't have minded hearing a little more about Him. Once you've been shot at some, the mind broadens.

Another one, the USO. When you occasionally see me posting "Until they all come home", that's my reference.

Greg

Thanks guys! I'll let my wife pick from this list.

The backstory here is I have a smarty pants coworker betting against me that I can't finish an especially big event. I expect it will take me at least 36 hours to complete...

Our bet is $5 per hour that I complete. If I complete the event, he donates it to the charity of my choice. If I don't finish the race, I donate $5 for every hour I did race to his charity, which knowing him, is probably Steve Job's dolls for the undeserved in San Jose. If I win, I'm matching his donation anyway...

I know money does help charities, but actually doing stuff, as mentioned above, is way better. My daughter and I do something together about 4-6x per year, and it recharges your soul.

I just wanted a good charity, 'cause I'm going to take this tools money and put it to good use.

Thanks again guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRSDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys! I'll let my wife pick from this list.

The backstory here is I have a smarty pants coworker betting against me that I can't finish an especially big event. I expect it will take me at least 36 hours to complete...

Our bet is $5 per hour that I complete. If I complete the event, he donates it to the charity of my choice. If I don't finish the race, I donate $5 for every hour I did race to his charity, which knowing him, is probably Steve Job's dolls for the undeserved in San Jose. If I win, I'm matching his donation anyway...

I know money does help charities, but actually doing stuff, as mentioned above, is way better. My daughter and I do something together about 4-6x per year, and <span style="color: #FF0000">it recharges your soul </span> .

I just wanted a good charity, 'cause I'm going to take this tools money and put it to good use.

Thanks again guys.
</div></div>

It most assuredly does that. I remember after an earthquake in Japan 20 years ago, I was led to give a sizeable amt of money that I really couldnt afford to give, being in college, and on scholarships, vocational rehab etc. I went ahead and gave the monehy. That night I had a dream of all those people saying theyre prayers of thanks. It was like watching the sweet savor of inscense rising before the throne of the Lamb, to para phrase something I read somewhere. Never forgot that one. Then lo and behold my vocational rehab money got increased ten time as much as I gave. Halellujah. Its good business to share.

The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and Wounded Warriors are my two picks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The National Fallen Firefighters Foundation and Wounded Warriors are my two picks. </div></div>

Am I the only one that reads the other comments before posting??

Big Brother's, Big Sister's Organization. I give through my local United Way. Providing a little guidance for those with unfortunate family situations. Lord knows I needed it when I was younger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big Brother's, Big Sister's Organization. I give through my local United Way. Providing a little guidance for those with unfortunate family situations. Lord knows I needed it when I was younger. </div></div>

You should give directly to Big brothers Big Sisters. United way skims off about 50% and shoves it into the managements pockets. Fuck United Way. Let me repeat that so you cant miss it. A real bunch of asswipes.

<span style="font-size: 20pt"> <span style="color: #FF0000">FUCK UNITED WAY </span> </span>

For my money it's the american brain tumor association. I do have a personal reason but I also reason that breast cancer foundations, of which there are many, raise hundreds of millions of dollars annually for a type of cancer that is generally very, very treatable. On the other hand, most types of brain cancer are essentially a death sentence with the only question to be asked is "how many months?"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elnino31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Big Brother's, Big Sister's Organization. I give through my local United Way. Providing a little guidance for those with unfortunate family situations. Lord knows I needed it when I was younger. </div></div>

You should give directly to Big brothers Big Sisters. United way skims off about 50% and shoves it into the managements pockets. Fuck United Way. Let me repeat that so you cant miss it. A real bunch of asswipes.

<span style="font-size: 20pt"> <span style="color: #FF0000">FUCK UNITED WAY </span> </span> </div></div>

+1

" * William Aramony, CEO of the national organization for over 20 years, retired in 1992 amid allegations of fraud and financial mismanagement, for which he was subsequently convicted and sentenced to prison.[10]

* Ralph Dickerson Jr., a former CEO of United Way of New York City, was found to have used United Way funds for personal expenses during 2002 and 2003. He later reimbursed the money. [11]

* Oral Suer, CEO of the Washington, D.C. chapter, was convicted of misuse of donations in 2004.[12][13] Norman O. Taylor, Oral Suer's replacement, was never charged with misconduct but was forced to resign.[14]

* In 1992, the national United Way membership demanded forensic review of all organizational accounts and total restructuring of the organization's leadership and its governing board. The United Way of the National Capital Area Code of Ethics developed by nonprofit accountability experts following Mr. Suer's ouster in 2004, and the way in which it was implemented, is held up by BoardSource as a top example in the sector[citation needed].

* In 2008, 5% of local United Way groups donated $1.9 million to Planned Parenthood, which provides a variety of family planning services, including abortions. Although United Way does not take a position on abortion and says the money does not go toward funding abortion services,[15] critics contend that the donations free up resources for abortions and thus indirectly fund abortion.[16]"

Source: wiki

I think they've "officially" cleaned up their act in recent years but let's face it institutionalized corruption runs deep and long... Fuck United Way, fuck 'em hard.

In the 1970's I worked in Scouting's SME (Sustaining Membership Enrollment) fund raising program, meeting with corporate sponsirs and helping them determine how Scouting helped their communities and businesses, and how they might reciprocate. SME was Scouting's economic backbone.

The United way began a big drive to take over Scouting (and other local) funding. They convinced the local council's (Robert Treat Council, Newark, NJ) Scouting/SME leadership that all would be well.

For the next year it was, and the SME program was quietly rolled up and put away.

The next year United Way contributions began to ramp down continuously and significantly, and by the fourth year, three adjoining councils were forced to merge and two of their three camps were abandoned and sold due to severe economic shortfalls. The claimed reason was the mid-70's recession, and it was true, but also far from being the whole story. This trend continued through two additional rounds of consolidations and camp closings.

What was once a thriving youth organization is now no longer even a ghost of its former self. Scouting grows by sharing experiences, and when those experiences are curtailed, so is the Scouting program. I blame United Way directly for the moribund status Scouting enjoys(?) today, and I will never knowingly contribute another penny to them, which means little in this day with businesses and other aid groups earmarking revenues and sharing incomes.

Later today, I will attend the Eagle Award ceremony for the last of the boys with whom I worked directly. For reasons beyond my control, I can no longer participate directly within the program, but I do know that over the years since 1970, when I returned to Scouting after my service in the Corps to work as an Adult leader, a steady succession of young men and women have stood straighter and gone in a better direction.

Right now, one is the Coxswain on a Coast Guard rescue boat out of Bodega Bay, CA, and another just graduated Coast Guard Basic Training last week, and is currently joining the crew of a large Cutter out of Norfolk VA. Going further back, several have already retired from military service, holding upper ranks. Others are teachers, firemen, police, EMT's, and many other types of professional individuals, raising safe families, and contributing to the common good.

A few went astray, but not many. There's always that few who hear but don't listen.

Times are tough and generosity is hard, but when I do contribute, United Way will not be on my list.

Greg

* <span style="color: #990000">Oral Suer </span> , CEO of the Washington, D.C. chapter, was convicted of misuse of donations in 2004.[12][13] Norman O. Taylor, Oral Suer's replacement, was never charged with misconduct but was forced to resign.[14]

Oral Sewer......I though my friend 'Overt Payne' had a cool name, but can you imagine what it was like growing up with a name like 'Oral Sewer'...Bwahahahahaha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">* <span style="color: #990000">Oral Suer </span> , CEO of the Washington, D.C. chapter, was convicted of misuse of donations in 2004.[12][13] Norman O. Taylor, Oral Suer's replacement, was never charged with misconduct but was forced to resign.[14]

Oral Sewer......I though my friend 'Overt Payne' had a cool name, but can you imagine what it was like growing up with a name like 'Oral Sewer'...Bwahahahahaha</div></div>

LMAO! Ha ha ha ha! I laughed so hard that it brought tears to my eyes. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">* <span style="color: #990000">Oral Suer </span> , CEO of the Washington, D.C. chapter, was convicted of misuse of donations in 2004.[12][13] Norman O. Taylor, Oral Suer's replacement, was never charged with misconduct but was forced to resign.[14]

Oral Sewer......I though my friend 'Overt Payne' had a cool name, but can you imagine what it was like growing up with a name like 'Oral Sewer'...Bwahahahahaha </div></div>

Talk about being fucked at birth. LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">* <span style="color: #990000">Oral Suer </span> , CEO of the Washington, D.C. chapter, was convicted of misuse of donations in 2004.[12][13] Norman O. Taylor, Oral Suer's replacement, was never charged with misconduct but was forced to resign.[14]

Oral Sewer......I though my friend 'Overt Payne' had a cool name, but can you imagine what it was like growing up with a name like 'Oral Sewer'...Bwahahahahaha </div></div>

Talk about being fucked at birth. LOL!</div></div>

No shit! It wouldn't have been any worse had they named him Smoak Howse. LoL

BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA.Been doing the right thing since it's inception.Keeps standing up for what's right

and I second the FUCK the United Way.Will NEVER give them a penny

Cruel, cruel parents. Almost makes Hollywood children's names seem benign

I Support Ronald McDonald House, I have seen first hand the good they do.