• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Favorite RETICLE and why??

xXlojackXx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2011
    Washington state
    In the market for a new piece of glass and am pretty familiar with the "favorites" of many, but what RETICLE do you prefer matched to which scope, and your reasoning behind it...?

H2CMR is my favorite for any type of dynamic shooting. I like it simply for the way that the reticle is broken down. .2 Mil rad is pretty nice to have IMHO.

Topbmp_zpsfcb8a22f.jpg

The new Nightforce MIL-R Retice gets my vote for best new reticle.

http://nightforceoptics.com/pdf/NFO_MILRsheet.pdf

I wish SB would bring back the Gen II XR. That is by far my favorite, works great for holdovers and wind holds where other reticles you are just holding in space. Its not to cluttered like the horus and has just enough that you can holdover dope and wind and not be holding in nomans land.
    my .02

MSR is a good choice. Has 1 mil and .5 mil hash marks and is not too thick or thin.

I'm really liking the MIL-R, but for now the Vortex EBR-1 MRAD will do.

The Mil-R definitely looks like a well engineered reticle, and at the top of my list. Is it in their full line of new products? Or is it exclusive to the ATACR/BEAST?

The MSR retical seems very cool, also very precise for ranging, and not too busy.

If I had 4k for a S&B that's what Ide have in it.

I like the S&B H2CMR for a long rifle, and the reticle in the ELCAN SpecterDR 1x/4x for an AR. I've found that illuminated center dots really work well for me.

I'd have to say h2cmr as well after getting to use a friends new S&B with that reticle. I think it is what I will go with on my next scope purchase.

I won't ever go with a reticle that's not broken down .2 increments again as I feel it is the best breakdown out there. I'm currently using a h59 Horus and really like it for the .2 hashes like the h2cmr has. The .2 hashes make holds a breeze and corrections are extremely easy. The only reason I don't say the Horus is best is because I find dialing is more accurate for me as you still have to hold out in space (although smaller space) for some holdovers on the Horus. If you're dialing elevation all the time for accuracy that kind of defeats the purpose of the Horus and just makes for a busy reticle. If you hold over for everything or shoot distances that you may not have the available elevation left to dial you can't beat the Horus though.

Tom S

In the market for a new piece of glass and am pretty familiar with the "favorites" of many, but what RETICLE do you prefer matched to which scope, and your reasoning behind it...?

I'm a newbee just getting started, bought a 556 colt H bar 24" and a Springfield armory 4-14x40 BDC scope. Like the recticle, can't find a good 69gm match for the compensation in today's market! Is it a good scope and what is a good .233 or 556 round for it? They say 3000 fps.
    I have used my old '06 at decent range and want to reach out some more.

Gen-II XR is now my reticle of choice, have it on three scopes now. Prior to that ran the USO Mil-R, Mil-dot and Leupold TMR. I like the detail that the Gen-II XR gives me without the clutter of the Horus.

Currently run EBR-3 but MSR is nice and what i plan to switch to ala Kahles 6-24I

EBR-1 MOA. I prefer it because I prefer MOA and it is a very simple, uncluttered design. Plain, simple, works.

I'm running the GAP 2 reticle right now and am really liking it. It's great for hitting targets at varying distances quickly.

gap2_specs_zps50493245.jpg

I really like the MDMOA from USO but it need to have the line thickness of the Nightforce NPR1. USO=.125, NF=.062, Still looking for the perfect reticle and have yet to find it. I'm a MOA guy and don't really care if it's FFP or SFP but want 1 MOA hash's on vert and horz with thin lines. Might just settle for the MOAR but the lines are so thick.

Nightforce MOAR if you are an MOA guy. One of the best if not the best MOA reticle out there in my book.

MPR because of the marked mils without being overcrowded. Staggered 0.2 and 0.3 hashes which allow you to mil to 0.1 increments. 0.3, 0.5 and 1 mil width hashes which allow 0.15, 0.25 and 0.5 mil windage holdovers reference points.

S&B MSR for a long range rifle and Elcan or GRSC type of reticle for semi-auto.

H2CMR. I bought a scope with this reticle at the last minute when shopping for my S&B (was originally going to go with the P4f). I love the .2 mil hash marks, as it makes adjusting for changing wind holds very easy.

+1 for the MOAR. If you're an MOA guy, you'll definitely find it to your liking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      51.6 KB · Views: 27
    Gen 2 XR, is my favorite reticle. hold are very easy and fast. I wish i would of never sold the two PMII's i had with that reticle

Gen-II XR. Horus without the clutter of Horus. I like my reticles to be mil based.

I run Leupolds exclusively so i am partial to the TMR. Granted, I am still learning the art of long range precision, but the TMR works for me just fine. I really like the open center on it.