• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite trigger for a savage

FightingTupperware

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2012
(for the trigger snobs among us) triggers i am told is a weak point in the savage "cult fallowing"
to quote a Marine " a good trigger will make you look like a Hero"

so what is your favorite trigger ?
and is it an acutrigger pattern or the old pattern?

Re: Favorite trigger for a savage

The accutrigger isn't bad, it's just different. Some people dont like it and others love it.
If you don't like it, Sharp Shooter Supply or Rifle Basix are great.

I liked the accutrigger at first, its really crisp, but I hate the safety blade, it annoys me, which is why I ordered a rifle basix trigger. Can't comment on it yet, since I haven't gotten it yet, it should be here in a day or two, I'll tell you what I think.

i have seen some of the sss triggers have issues with light primer striking due to shoddy machining. rifle basix are nice units

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have seen some of the sss triggers have issues with light primer striking due to shoddy machining. rifle basix are nice units </div></div>

Are they early models? I've heard the early models had such problems, but the newer triggers are rock solid. The only reason I didn't go with one is because they require some modification for accutrigger Savages, and without a smith around where I live that works on Savage rifles, I didn't want to risk doing something wrong, so I went with the rifle basix. Both are great triggers, you can't go wrong with either.

I'm on the fence when it comes to the hunting accutrigger, the blade kinda annoys me as well, i've heard the target one is awesome.

I have used the accu-trigger, an SSS trigger and sav-1 rifle basix trigger. Of the three I like the SSS the best. It was harder to tune than the rifle basix but when it is tuned it is better in my opinion. The one thing that I do not like on the SSS trigger is the thin trigger shoe but it is something that I can live with.

I like both the Accutrigger and the old 110 style, I probably like the older one better. It is pretty easy to tune. I haven't tried a RB or Timney(looks pretty good too) though.

After shooting our new rifle build I really like the Accutrigger, super crisp and you know when you're on the trigger with the plastic blade touching your finger and when you come up against the main steel trigger you know it's going off with the slightest movement. Does take a bit of getting used to at first but I'd not mind having that type on my other long range Remington guns.

I've never been a trigger snob, with all the muzzloaders, revolvers, handguns and various rifles we have competed with over the years you learn good trigger control with some really horrible triggers. Good control and follow thru will always be needed, a really light trigger just masks some of the bad habits you pick up. Nice to have a crip clean trigger that you can rely on and is going off when anticipated but at least for me it's not really a big deal.

Topstrap

I have the SSS comp and Rifle Basix Sav 2. I love them both. The Sav-2 can go very very light. However, I just love the absolute crispness of my SSS comp. I have heard that a few made it out of the factory recently with some flaws. So be aware. Either trigger is better than the accu trigger. If this is for a field/tac rifle get the SSS. If it is for Fclass, or BR match, get he RB Sav-2.

I've driven a lot of rifles with a lot of different triggers, and I like the Accutrigger well enough to leave it alone. It's plenty crisp that it doesn't hold me back. I can take or leave a "two stage" trigger (I consider the accutrigger a kind of two stage), but I've certainly become quite used to taking up the slack in the accurelease, then contacting the trigger shoe, then touching the round off.

The accutrigger is the safest rifle trigger design that I am aware of, because the accurelease blocks the sear unless it is depressed.

I also have the SSS Comp trigger and I love it also. It is very crisp and no creep at all.

I have experience with the Jard and the more expensive Rifle Basix (SAV-2 I think). The Jard is a horrid piece of crap. A definite don't buy.

The Rifle Basix is what a good trigger should be. A true 3 lever design that is very adjustable and very consistent. I think it is priced very attractively for the drastic change that it imparts on the rifle.

wow didn't expect that kind of reply over night for a new guy..
thanks for your input guys! i am just jumping in to the savage world and i dont have the acutrigger (its a somewhat oldish rifle with a crisp if slightly heavy single stage)
so ill have to do some reading up. BTW its going to be a tac steel gun if it makes a difference in trigger choice for some one.

The same triggers that are available for the non accutrigger models as with the accutrigger models, it should actually be easier to install triggers (I know that for accutrigger models, certain triggers need modifications to install correctly i.e. the SSS competition trigger).

Put a riflebasix sav-2 on my latest rifle, I am impressed with it so far, not far off from the jewell I was using on my last remington type build, very crisp and adjusts well. The biggest thing is the actual trigger part itself, I never cared for the too skinny and pointy trigger on the jewell, this one is nice, wide and smooth.

I have the Rifle-Basix Sav-2 trigger and overall I am happy with it.

I liked the Factory Savage Accutrigger when it was brand new and set to 2 lbs. However, the more I used it, the more it become less reliable. Trigger would trip sometimes by just chambering.

Even when I increased the pull weight to about 3 lbs, and it was still not 100% reliable. For me anything over 3 lbs of pull on what I consider a precision rifle is unacceptable.

So I ponied up the money and got the Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger.

It was not as easy to install and adjust as I thought it would be. It took me about 4 hours to install the Sav-2 and tune it the way I liked (first time install). The Jewell I believe took me only an hour total to install and tune for a first time install. Now that I know what I am doing, I think it would only take me about half hour to install the Rifle Basix Sav2.

My Rifle Basix is now set at a very safe 8oz trigger pull (confirmed by my digital lyman trigger gauge). When I say "safe", what I mean is I have not been able to accidentally trip the trigger no matter how hard I slam the bolt.

My biggest complaint about Rifle Basix trigger is it is not a true drop in trigger like a Jewell. Jewell comes complete. The Rifle Basix, You have to reuse some Savage Parts, parts of the Savage trigger you have to re-use are:
1) Sear Pivot Pin
2) reset spring
3) Safety Detent Spring
4) Sear

Reason it took me so long to install and tune (This may be specific to only my gun)....

1) Eventually figured out that I dad to use the stronger White Pull spring. The Red one was too light, could not set the pull to higher than 5oz with the red spring. When manipuling the bolt and chambering hard, trigger would sometimes trip when the red pull spring was in there.

Keep in mind, When the trigger accidentally trips with the Accutrigger, gun is still safe, and no round would be accidentally sent down range. When the trigger accidentally trips with the Rifle-Basix, it IS a dangerous condition as you would send a round down range.

2) The pivot pin would only work in the most rear position (3 holes available). Any other position and the Sear would disengage when manipulating the bolt. This is not really a big deal, but took me awhile to figure out that I could only use the rear hole, and could not use the middle hole or most forward hole like they did in the installing video.

3) The Sear had to be set as heavy as possible (screw all the way out). Even just a fraction lighter, the trigger would accidentally trip.

Now that it is properly set up, I can say I really do like the trigger. It's pretty crisp, but still does not compare with a Jewell. Jewells has a crisp clean break that beats every trigger out there (even Gisseles).

At $160 retail, I don't think it's as great of a value as a Jewell at $220 retail. The Jewell is one fine piece of machinery, looks very well made and everything is Stainless. Jewell is also a true drop in unit, and the only adjustment I had to make with a Jewell was to set the pull weight (which you can do for both with the action completely installed).

The Rifle Basix may be quality, but it appears to be cheaply made. As I already said, My biggest grip with the Rifle Basix Sav-2 is it does not come complete as you have to re-use some Savage parts (as I already mentioned).

I didn't like my accu trigger so I replaced it with a Timney and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone.

i havent herd very much about the Timny trigger. but it was my first inclination to go with. (i dont know why.. because i have never owned one)

how was the fit and finish?
how was the setup? (was it overly complex?)

thanks

I had Black Ops Precision install mine when they bedded my rifle so I can’t tell you honestly how complex it was. The only problem (if there is one) with it is that the safety became a lot stiffer. It still works just fine but took a little bit of time for it to loosen some. I'm not sure why this is. Like I said it wasn’t so bad it was a problem I just thought I would let you know any drawback. As for how well it went in and how easy all I can say is maybe call Mike at Black Ops and see what info he can give you, if I tried I would be making it up, sorry.

I have a couple accutriggers and an older standard trigger. All of them shoot great. I have never changed any of them. Shooting prone, I haven't found it to matter. If I were shooting offhand, I might need that extra bit of improvement.

X2on the sharp shooter. Supply unit. I have 2 of them. They work great. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have the SSS Comp trigger and I love it also. It is very crisp and no creep at all. </div></div>