• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FBI Sniper Rifles

In Quantico, maybe. Been awhile since I was there.

In the Gun Vault, definitely. When I toured the vault in 2010ish... I got to hold the Dillinger Revolver, which was cool. But also Patti Hearst's Hi Standard, which was made famous in the bank holdup photo... that I remember from when I was a kid. So it was much more relevant than Dillinger's revolver.

The reference vault is an amazing place!!! Everything from beltfeds to zip guns and everything in between. Can't really process it in a 'walk' through. But the cool stuff is (was?) all hanging up front to see through the glass.

Cheers,

Sirhr

In the Gun Vault, definitely. When I toured the vault in 2010ish... I got to hold the Dillinger Revolver, which was cool. But also Patti Hearst's Hi Standard, which was made famous in the bank holdup photo... that I remember from when I was a kid. So it was much more relevant than Dillinger's revolver.

The reference vault is an amazing place!!! Everything from beltfeds to zip guns and everything in between. Can't really process it in a 'walk' through. But the cool stuff is (was?) all hanging up front to see through the glass.

Cheers,

Sirhr
I believe you’re talking about the display over in the Lab, by the Toolmarks unit…. All the full-auto 1911’s and sawed off BAR’s, etc.

3FA230BB-367E-4EF5-ADBB-664BD717063F.jpeg

This is the new 19M red dot pistol which is starting to trickle out to the field. It’s the new standard issue pistol.

Last edited:
37206F23-E435-4754-9D9C-9F108AD975EF.jpeg

Attachments

• 8CA92781-31EA-4167-BF8F-9AD8B4EE59A5.jpeg
    8CA92781-31EA-4167-BF8F-9AD8B4EE59A5.jpeg
    829 KB · Views: 123
  • 2A032CBB-30A3-4350-BB49-D13C1FB83C88.jpeg
    2A032CBB-30A3-4350-BB49-D13C1FB83C88.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 198D20AF-F212-45F3-B111-19EBEBD62B16.jpeg
    198D20AF-F212-45F3-B111-19EBEBD62B16.jpeg
    594.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 5776560B-369B-4D9E-A9AF-F8B8034D1CE6.jpeg
    5776560B-369B-4D9E-A9AF-F8B8034D1CE6.jpeg
    564.3 KB · Views: 131
Just curious… are those welds “factory” reinforcement?

Or were frames cracking?

I had an issue .40 for a while and it was a handful compared to a 9. The 10’s must be interesting.

Cool pix!

Sirhr

Good question. I’d assume they’re factory welds; I’ve never heard anything about cracking or other problems with these.

Cheers,

Sirhr
What is this Hi Standard of Patty Hearsts that you speak of?

What is this Hi Standard of Patty Hearsts that you speak of?

Hi Sand:

I've been looking at imagest to try and spot it in period pictures or bank videos. No joy. I got one of the other women with a revolver. And Hearst with either a shotgun or a sawed-off M1 Carbine. But not the Hi Standard.

And when all the Hearst stuff was going on, I was about 11!!! So it was on the news every night and I still remember seeing fuzzy black and white footage. But honestly can't say I specifically saw what I knew to be a Hi Standard. Just a blurry image of a pistol being waved. It was the biggest thing on TV at the time and since she was sort of a 'Kid'... all us 'kids' were obsessed with kidnapping. Hey, could happen to us, right?

So when I was at the Labs in c. 2008? ish? Getting a tour... I got to hold Dillingers pistol. The guy giving the tour to the two of us made a point of showing us the serial number, IIRC. Because supposedly there was some Internet Lore that there was no serial number or that the gun was 'not' Dillingers. I didn't get the reference. It was just sort of cool to hold it. Then he handed over the Hi Standard, which was on a peg to the left of Dillinger's Revolver, IIRC. And mentioned that it was Patty Hearst's. That was the cool gun. Then we walked through the rest of the reference collection/museum. Only about 20 minutes. I could have spent a week.

Maybe @Skunk has more details on the Hi Standard. I can drop him a PM with some details I won't post publically.

Personally, your question now has me really digging! Is there a picture? DId she use it in a bank? Photographed with it? DId it have her prints on it? Did she pose for pictures with it? Was she 'captured/rescued'** with it? Now I want to know the whole story. There would be an amazing article in the history of that gun! Now you have my historian hat on bigtime!

So... more to follow! And PM Inbound. Lets find out more!

Cheers,

Sirhr

** And I think she was captured.... I know, Stockholm Syndrome and all that. But she was party to robbery, mayhem and murder. She went full SLA and turned on her family and America... at a level that wasn't just 'trying to get free. People died because of her. But Dad got her out and days after release she was 'fine' and appearing on talk shows telling her story and back wearing designer clothes and chipper as a little starlet. Meh... She should have at least had a trial. Well, whatever.

Last edited:
Not much I can tell you that can’t be seen in that picture.

Those came out at a time when all of the “Colt pattern carbines” were being shortened to 11.5” from 14.5” or 16.”

Someone in Quantico decided we needed a “DMR” platform, even though there was no DMR role, and those uppers got put together out of cannibalized parts and pushed out to SWAT teams.

Not having any pictures other than the one I posted, I’d say it probably had a Geissele gas block, the Troy hand guard, Smith(?) flash suppressor, and Colt/milspec receiver, BCG and barrel.

They didn’t last long in the field before being called back to Quantico because BRF hadn’t gotten the opportunity to “approve” the upper even though it was built of parts we’d been using in one form or another for years..... They were pretty short-lived and haven’t been replaced by anything similar.
Reaching back into the past of this thread because I ran across a photo cleaning out some camera roll. This is not the iteration mentioned but a later fielding These were out in some larger offices in the '19-'21 timeframe. The "accurized upper" or somesuch. They came from the Assaulter side and the optic from the failed R10 deal. Then enterprising Observer-Snipers found them. Bridge the optic gap, make T3 shoot respectably, and speed your transition way up if doing double duties.
Resized_20210922_180931.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Sand:

I've been looking at imagest to try and spot it in period pictures or bank videos. No joy. I got one of the other women with a revolver. And Hearst with either a shotgun or a sawed-off M1 Carbine. But not the Hi Standard.

And when all the Hearst stuff was going on, I was about 11!!! So it was on the news every night and I still remember seeing fuzzy black and white footage. But honestly can't say I specifically saw what I knew to be a Hi Standard. Just a blurry image of a pistol being waved. It was the biggest thing on TV at the time and since she was sort of a 'Kid'... all us 'kids' were obsessed with kidnapping. Hey, could happen to us, right?

So when I was at the Labs in c. 2008? ish? Getting a tour... I got to hold Dillingers pistol. The guy giving the tour to the two of us made a point of showing us the serial number, IIRC. Because supposedly there was some Internet Lore that there was no serial number or that the gun was 'not' Dillingers. I didn't get the reference. It was just sort of cool to hold it. Then he handed over the Hi Standard, which was on a peg to the left of Dillinger's Revolver, IIRC. And mentioned that it was Patty Hearst's. That was the cool gun. Then we walked through the rest of the reference collection/museum. Only about 20 minutes. I could have spent a week.

Maybe @Skunk has more details on the Hi Standard. I can drop him a PM with some details I won't post publically.

Personally, your question now has me really digging! Is there a picture? DId she use it in a bank? Photographed with it? DId it have her prints on it? Did she pose for pictures with it? Was she 'captured/rescued'** with it? Now I want to know the whole story. There would be an amazing article in the history of that gun! Now you have my historian hat on bigtime!

Cheers,

Sirhr

** And I think she was captured.... I know, Stockholm Syndrome and all that. But she was party to robbery, mayhem and murder. She went full SLA and turned on her family and America... at a level that wasn't just 'trying to get free. People died because of her. But Dad got her out and days after release she was 'fine' and appearing on talk shows telling her story and back wearing designer clothes and chipper as a little starlet. Meh... She should have at least had a trial. Well, whatever.
So, was it the nine shot revolver or one of the ten shot semi-autos?

Might have been a "B" model. For whatever reason, Colt never figured having a full length grip was necessary until they came out with the Target Model of the Woodsman. High Standard initially copied that in the "B", then figured making the butt more like a 1911 was the thing to do. A huge improvement, IMO.

Might have been a "B" model. For whatever reason, Colt never figured having a full length grip was necessary until they came out with the Target Model of the Woodsman. High Standard initially copied that in the "B", then figured making the butt more like a 1911 was the thing to do. A huge improvement, IMO.

The 1911 grip was to sell to army for cheap training as the Ace, while interesting, was not a great gun. The Hi standard HD military went bang every time and was dead nuts accurate. HS made very fine guns. Underrated. And bargains. But you can buy Duramatics for less than bad poured polymer .22 Tupperware. And they are sheer machining art!!

Sirhr

The round on the right is the first clean, cold, post-assembly round fired. I over-estimated a bit and corrected 3MOA left and fired the next three.

For a gun put together from old parts, without any machine work, to shoot like this is a real testament to the quality of an HS Precision rifle. I really could not be more happy with this rifle.
DE6A535D-BDDE-413A-AE88-DB4D24EBF359.jpeg

Attachments

• BEB1BFD6-E745-49AE-82BA-D3E045ACE17E.jpeg
    BEB1BFD6-E745-49AE-82BA-D3E045ACE17E.jpeg
    907.9 KB · Views: 80
The round on the right is the first clean, cold, post-assembly round fired. I over-estimated a bit and corrected 3MOA left and fired the next three.

For a gun put together from old parts, without any machine work, to shoot like this is a real testament to the quality of an HS Precision rifle. I really could not be more happy with this rifle.View attachment 8125492
More holes! More holes! 😁😁

Reactions: dirtybores
I only fired ten rounds through the HSP. Had about 8mph wind from 3 o’clock, so didn’t worry much about the left side favor. Either way, it’s perfectly capable of hitting 1/2” diamonds on demand.

I’ll fire it some more in the near future.

Attachments

• 70387607125__9189F09B-75A2-4241-9121-410016AB1093.jpeg
    70387607125__9189F09B-75A2-4241-9121-410016AB1093.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 80
Just based on the somewhat blurry closeup of the locking lever collar in the first pic… looks like it could be your first gen pod-loc? 😂
Very possible. Good eye.
I honestly couldn't see the bell housing/dust cover on Skunk's 1st pic.
You could be right. It might be one of the Gen I kits from 2000 - 2005'ish.

Possibility it could be one of the early Midway USA's knock-off kits. They copied the Gen I 3 months after Bob McNulty asked for samples and pricing. Go figure. . .

Very possible. Good eye.
I honestly couldn't see the bell housing/dust cover on Skunk's 1st pic.
You could be right. It might be one of the Gen I kits from 2000 - 2005'ish.

Possibility it could be one of the early Midway USA's knock-off kits. They copied the Gen I 3 months after Bob McNulty asked for samples and pricing. Go figure. . .
Since it could go either way… definitely send @Skunk one of your legit pod-locs then! 😂

As a trained investigator, I’ll have to figure out exactly what is on my rifle in hopes that it is not some gay knock-off of the Real Deal KMW awesomeness.

Either way, I will put to good use whatever Terry sends!

Hi Sand:

Cheers,

Sirhr

I found this photo on the IMFDB. It's the M1 Hearst used, with some other revolvers in there. Any of them the one, or are they unrelated?
PattyHearstM1carbine.jpg

I found this photo on the IMFDB. It's the M1 Hearst used, with some other revolvers in there. Any of them the one, or are they unrelated?
PattyHearstM1carbine.jpg
Very cool! Not the gun I held. Honestly, I don't remember seeing it. But I was so enamored with the guns I held... I didn't absorb as much as I could have!

Thanks for posting, though! And, yes, I know she had a folder M1. That looks shortened, too. But the SLA did have illegal machine guns and modified weapons. So anything is possible. That said, some nice work on the front sight and modifications.

Cheers,

Sirhr

FN touts the SPR as having been one of the rifles selected by the FBI. Did the FBI ever actually buy any?

On your FBI 700 builds, did you use factory Remington lugs?

First time finding this post & having read through a little bit of it.

CIRG, which HRT operates under, also funds and directs initial weapons procurement for SWAT, and of course it all would get tested BRF, and contract selections made.

I was with the WMF when R10’s were getting inspected prior to fielding… and there were all sorts of problems. Gas blocks interfering with hand guards, barrel extension issues, etc. Granted, that’s par for the course when you get samples for a contract direct from the supplier who hand builds your test samples and the product you get after contract award is COTS garbage.

Also, the HS rifles wound up getting cannibalized into something CIRG thought would be a more fitting “Urban Sniper” platform in the 2016-2019 time frame. Some 700-ish units.

Coming from the factory HS guns that predated them, they were not well received by the SWAT community for several reasons.