• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FBI Sniper Rifles

Government stupidity.... low bid.
HRT budget vs local team budget.
H.S.P. was insanely priced then and the hiring of Horiouchi by them .... ahem....
And at the time there were some purchase violations and procurement fraud with S&W over model 66 revolvers floating in the background, several deep background things got at least 4 people transferred to other positions, one of which was involved in the HS/FN time frame.
The whistle blower was stationed on Ft. Benning in building 4 at the time, and involved in a peripheral investigation I was working then. I learned more about .gov stupid red tape than I ever want to know then.
The whistleblower got a medical retirement, a huge settlement, and lived in fear of his life thereafter. And was a nightmare in mine. There is/was a sealed file in my old department that probably has been burned by now.
Ahhh the drama then.
I worked Intel for fbi on the 9/11 case before, a yr before the tied thermite to the beams and got them dirty (Hamas) with hundreds of millions of mortgage fraud !they had everything to bring them down and didn't pull the trigger! Living in fear from 9/1/2000 to 10/1/2001! Fbi buried us ,now I live locked an loaded!

I worked Intel for fbi on the 9/11 case before, a yr before the tied thermite to the beams and got them dirty (Hamas) with hundreds of millions of mortgage fraud !they had everything to bring them down and didn't pull the trigger! Living in fear from 9/1/2000 to 10/1/2001! Fbi buried us ,now I live locked an loaded!

What?

Mind if I co-op this thread for a vintage Marshals Service Special Operations Group sniper tangent?

359939D8-0F3F-4CDE-9FEB-A8866A3544F1.jpeg
E0F1DE06-3A67-4700-8A93-D0B53C839129.jpeg
3FE3A4A6-24CB-41C9-ABBC-4C9F9F76B50E.jpeg
E6E7A0B4-9FD4-4E34-8399-484D9797EE27.jpeg
30D84565-0AFA-4B4A-9A09-E875F7BA3A17.jpeg
6D3C2132-EBA6-4F2E-8F85-0C427A08B0A1.jpeg
E4E336B0-5899-4D73-AED7-EB35C8D0E11E.jpeg

Last edited:
Interestingly clip slotted. Who built their rifles? Former 2112’s?

Start a new thread. We'd all love to hear about specs on these, how many they made, etc.

Interesting thread. Since you gents seem so interested in USMC RTE/FBI FTU R. Sweet rifles…

1653422470572.jpeg

Consecutive SN optics
1653422619625.jpeg

RTE/FBI FTU Scott Walker Springfield super match build (below the M24), early McMillan stock.
1653422993359.jpeg

Some first hand observations/corroborations which may or may not be of interest:

The HRT Remington bolt guns pictured early in this thread (snipers in a row, first operator with the HRT emblem ballcap) were mid 90’s era builds, 24” MTU sniper contour BBLS, A2 green molded-in stocks with an Remington 700 barreled action finished in Walter birdsong’s green-T, seamlessly color matched. Unertl 10x scope and Unertl M40A1 mounting systems were also the order of the day. Uncolored rectangular leather layered cheek rests installed at the firearms vault also sat atop the comb on the examples I came in contact with. Many of the Unertl scopes on these HRT rifles had unique scope markings, not “USCM”, not the rare (only about 68 so labeled were made) “10x Sniper” that adorned the earlier HRT and NSW6 rifles. These Unertl scope markings on the mid 90s A2 version were unique (I will refrain from posting the scope markings on these HRT Unertl scopes here as there is at least one morally bankrupt entity out there currently machining reproduction Unertl turrets and offering to mark them “USMC”, “FBI” ..anything the customer desires).

The late 80’s/early 90’s FBI SWAT rifles with the HTG urban blue/black/grey camo stock (similar pics throughout this thread) utilized the Leupold VariX family of scopes, arguably the much more reasonable option for LE encounters/mission activity though certainly not as sexy as the 10XUnertl which was unobtanium on the open market.

The barrels on the blue urban HTG stock versions were typically not the MTU sniper contour seen on the A2 stocked/Unertl mounted rifles but rather a slightly more tapered contour (see the pic I posted here, roughly .81 MD) but yet with the same 24” bbl length. Unertl for HRT, VariX for SWAT…hierarchy established! Lol

Fast forward to circa 2010, HRT had switched to the GAP HRT contract build rifle, had upgraded to mag fed, NV capable and suppressed while the SWAT field offices were issued the HS precision stocked 700’s and for those in the know were dealing with its McCann (rail temperature variance issues) issues.

Circa 2013/14, the GAP HRT contract gun developed a minor issue (annoyance) after some use and round count (corrected with a primary manufacturers recall and remedy) but by that time Surgeon actions became the latest rage with the cool-guy tier-one crowd, a “gotta have” according to a certain trainer and so it was off to the races with the new HRT rifle. FBI Field SWAT/CIRG contracted with FN for their new sniper rifles, also updated with NV, suppressed, mag fed capability.

I’m rarely if ever on this site but have enjoyed perusing the posts herein. There seems to be a fair amount of current and historical information, Keep it up.

Skunk, awesome thread that brought back many memories. First about Ray Sweet, he massaged an M1A for me that was a mess. OP rod was bent and that was for starters. When he gave it back to me it was the proverbial tack driver. What a gentleman! And then there was Shelly Solliday. If there was an armorer hall of fame they would be in it.

Reactions: Skunk and j-huskey
18 year active duty, and this thread makes me happy... Shooting for the Navy Marksmanship team, and seeing all the historical pieces some of the guys own.. always a treat.

I dont have any old school stuff, but damn do I want them all. Then they see all the fancy new stuff, and they want that... its so weird how generations swap sometimes.

Here's a question after reading through all of the different iterations listed or spoken of in this thread.

I have a 3.5-10X40 Vari-x tactical with the exposed M1 style turrets and mildot ret.

Pairing this with a win model 70, g series push feed action and a Mcmillan stock (HTG or Hunter) ...Would this be a start to a correct clone of some variant?

Apologies if i'm being dense, there's just been a lot of rifles spoken about.

@Skunk

Do you remember the ^^^ scope being used on a 70 in a gp stock ?

I don't remember one with m1 turrets but I remember the closed capped mildot.

Reactions: RTESanteFe
@Skunk @kft101 @Marauder @j-huskey @USMCSGT0331 do any of yall know the details on this secret service rifle? Im guessing .300 Win Mag R700 in a AICS? Any idea what barrel, suppressor, etc..?
I don’t know the specific specs, but presume your guess is correct since that’s what they used on the black A5 stock rifles.

And not 100% correct, even in the looks department, but had to clone it anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8B28A295-7867-4B17-8F1E-4D45B4AC5D74.jpeg

Here's a question after reading through all of the different iterations listed or spoken of in this thread.

I have a 3.5-10X40 Vari-x tactical with the exposed M1 style turrets and mildot ret.

Pairing this with a win model 70, g series push feed action and a Mcmillan stock (HTG or Hunter) ...Would this be a start to a correct clone of some variant?

I saw one with an old Weaver T1 and a few with VariX3 1” tube 3.5-10x40 with target knobs circa 1984

I still have my 1" 3.5-10 vx3 like Mike said above. Pic .

20220817_102534.jpg

And the first graduation I did to a 4.5-14 , pic.
20220817_102954.jpg

That scope bolts right back on the rifle it came off, still zeroed...

Such is life. Fun.

Attachments

• 20220817_102534.jpg
    20220817_102534.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 59
These are in here somewhere in the 12 pages.

3rd graduation, 4th graduation, and my 5th and last graduation.
two leupolds and one S&B

3rd grad .
Screenshot_20210321-091220_Chrome.jpg

4th grad
Screenshot_20210321-091207_Chrome.jpg

5th and final grad for me
Screenshot_20210321-091244_Chrome.jpg

IF I'd stayed in the game, I'd be playing with one of these, NF scopes... and a nasty AI...
Screenshot_20220817-110313_Gallery.jpg

Yes, I have that too, just because...

Boyz and their Toyzzz.

Reactions: brianf
@Skunk

Do you remember the ^^^ scope being used on a 70 in a gp stock ?

I don't remember one with m1 turrets but I remember the closed capped mildot.
As far as I know, a Winchester 70 would’ve originally been assembled with the Vari-X III 3.5-10x40. However, the Mk4 3.5-10x40 M1 also found its way onto at least one M70, like the one we have out in El Paso.

After the HS Precision rifle transitioned to the Mk6 3-18, the Mk4 3.5-10x40 M1’s got put on all kinds of stuff, to include many of the Mk11/M110 semi-auto rifles.

Attachments

• AA482BA2-51EE-4028-BFEF-FEAA06DC300A.jpeg
    AA482BA2-51EE-4028-BFEF-FEAA06DC300A.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 951A4312-DEC2-4756-9723-1A182AA5EC1F.jpeg
    951A4312-DEC2-4756-9723-1A182AA5EC1F.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: S12A and kft101

See Skunk's answer, yes, that scope was used on at least one he knows of.

Thanks again. Sort of solidifies my build plan.

Not to stretch the friendship to far, but what rail and rings are those on the 4th?

Thanks again. Sort of solidifies my build plan.

Not to stretch the friendship to far, but what rail and rings are those on the 4th?

Rings are Badger. Base is one I made 'way' back then when Winchester bases were unobtanium. It's a one of a kind. My bud and I made a run of them under his initials ALS and sold them through Brownells and Autauga Arms, back in the dark days of unobtanium.
Best to you with your clone.

Reactions: S12A
Rings are Badger. Base is one I made 'way' back then when Winchester bases were unobtanium. It's a one of a kind. My bud and I made a run of them under his initials ALS and sold them through Brownells and Autauga Arms, back in the dark days of unobtanium.
Best to you with your clone.

Thanks again for your help, 3 more questions if i may,

On your "revision 4" rifle you have some 2 piece picatinny bases, do you know what they were?

The barrel length of the #6 douglas ?

And black oxide as a correct finish?

Thanks!

This should lead to a thread of it's own! Were FBI 1911's only for HRT and were there any built in house or all Springfield Custom Shops?
1911’s weren’t only for HRT. I want to say the Springfield was the SWAT Program gun and HRT had several different 1911-based pistols over the years, to include a double-stack of some type and a Les Baer model.

The one in the picture is a SWAT pistol.

1911’s weren’t only for HRT. I want to say the Springfield was the SWAT Program gun and HRT had several different 1911-based pistols over the years, to include a double-stack of some type and a Les Baer model.

The one in the picture is a SWAT pistol.
Skunk
I saw the double stacks back in the day. They were Para framed built by Les Baer. They started off shooting well but the Para frames were soft and they would go to poop quick. A friend of mine is a top tier 1911 builder and he went to crazy lengths to try and get Paras to hold up

After the Para failure Springfield got the contract with the Professional. I don’t know what others they played with but your in a position to know all that history. I just got to play with them once in awhile during training days. FBI used to handle quarterly SWAT training for my old department

Reactions: shoobe01
Nope, it was CRG2476. My gun with the light rail was CRG1214LR.
As a bit of trivia, the one Bureau Model I handled several times was the late Walter Birdsong’s. Since he was doing his Black-T propriety finish per the contract he was able to request a serial number from the first and only run of Bureau Models. FBI666.

• Love
Reactions: shoobe01
As a bit of trivia, the one Bureau Model I handled several times was the late Walter Birdsong’s. Since he was doing his Black-T propriety finish per the contract he was able to request a serial number from the first and only run of Bureau Models. FBI666.
That’s pretty awesome.

Just this week I was talking with one of my HRT buddies about 1911’s and the growing pains they had in the early days of the Springfield. Apparently, barrels were rupturing under the copious diet of 230gr +P stuff we feed them. So, they were almost all modified to ramped barrels.

image.jpg

That’s pretty awesome.

Just this week I was talking with one of my HRT buddies about 1911’s and the growing pains they had in the early days of the Springfield. Apparently, barrels were rupturing under the copious diet of 230gr +P stuff we feed them. So, they were almost all modified to ramped barrels.

View attachment 7948591
No double spring?

Really like the dual spring on the M45A1 but might only be the “feeling” in difference of shooting more Commander than full size.