• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FBI Sniper Rifles

I put this on M40rifle.com:

I ran the serial number. It was not in any of the asset management systems or firearms qualification tracking. This means the rifle is/was a personally owned weapon SA Christian had built while he was in Quantico and had the right contacts. Like guns I've had built up there, if you source the right parts you can have a gun built just like the one you carry/use/deploy with, whatever.

Long story short, it's a clone. And, there's nothing wrong with that at all. It looks really well done and probably shoots great and comes with some provenance, too.
Figured that was the story, still very cool. And just to talk me out of it, tell me again that the FBI 700’s were only lug slotted to fit the mount, not fully, 40x clip slotted, lol

As for clip/lug slots on FBI model 700's, we're talking ONLY the HRT rifles. And, I haven't seen a lot of those. I'm not that awesome....

About 12-15 years ago I bought one of the FN SPR A3G rifles because of it's features and because the FBI apparently used it as their rifle.

The first SPR A3G I bought just wouldn't shoot accurately. FN initially blamed my ammo, me and my shooting, the scope (Leupold MK4), the rings, the base, and anything else they could think of other than the rifle. Eventually FN took the rifle back to examine it and determined that I did in fact have one with a bad barrel.

At the time FN was moving from one factory location to another, and they didn't have any rifles to replace mine. 15 months later FN sent me another rifle, and a new scope to thank me for my patience and say they were sorry for the delay.

The second SPR A3G rifle wouldn't reliably feed rounds from one side of the magazine. The rounds from one side would jam into the side of the breech face rather than entering the chamber. FN again blamed me, my ammo, and some other things before they took the rifle back. They couldn't fix it, so they sent it off to GA precision and they couldn't fix it. After about six months of dinking round with my rifle FN admitted they couldn't fix it so they offered me a third rifle.. I declined as I had lost faith in the SPR A3G system.

FN agreed to give me any combination of other FN products up to equal value of the SPR A3G, so I took a few items, and sold them. The customer service rep at FN was a great guy to work with, and I actually felt sorry for him because I knew he couldn't magically make a rifle appear in a warehouse if the factory hadn't produced them.

The overall impression I got was that the customer service guy I dealt with really tried to help the customers, but upper management at FN isn't all that concerned with civilian consumers because most of their efforts are aimed at military and law enforcement. Individual civilian customers are more of a nuisance than a major source of revenue.

I really did like the FN FS2000 rifle, but like I said, I had lost faith.

Anyone have any info on the Winchester Model 70's and Remington 700 configurations that the FBI built for their snipers? I have the Vanderpool book and was looking for more info or pics. I'm also interested in the FN guns.
Thanks!
The FBI SWAT teams are using HS Precision 2000 SA's equipped with Leupold Mark V's and H59 reticles.

I can’t believe I just found this thread. The amount of obscure information on the ‘Hide is what makes it great. And it’s members, especially j-huskey and Skunk. Thank you guys for the great reading on this. It’s much appreciated.

Pulled this out of a youtube clip. Interesting position, but a nice image of the rifle in use

FBI LA SWAT.JPG

Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
Was watching this auction over the weekend. Interesting...

This Rifle started it's life as a serviced FBI Sniper Rifle in which afterwards became a Competition shooter built by record holder, and reputable gunsmith out of Georgia, Ronnie Long of Long Rifles and Benchrest Shooters.

xbl9CNb.jpg

250a7RI.jpg

qwbBRzM.jpg

Reactions: jd138
In a recent interview, Danny Coulson, the creator and first commander of HRT referenced M14 rifles that were deployed by the HRT Sniper Team during the CSA operation in northern Arkansas in April 1985.

Coulson said that the M14s were deployed due to the short ranges involved on that particular operation. Coulson made no specific mention of it, but I'm imagining M14s with irons as opposed to optics given the circumstances.

Anyone have any specs or first hand knowledge of M14s deployed by HRT??

In a recent interview, Danny Coulson, the creator and first commander of HRT referenced M14 rifles that were deployed by the HRT Sniper Team during the CSA operation in northern Arkansas in April 1985.

Coulson said that the M14s were deployed due to the short ranges involved on that particular operation. Coulson made no specific mention of it, but I'm imagining M14s with irons as opposed to optics given the circumstances.

Anyone have any specs or first hand knowledge of M14s deployed by HRT??

Best of my memory, std, U.S. Rifle M14, pulled from .gov storage. They are still available under the 10-33 program to LE. The two that we had were plain mil issue.

There is one infamous picture of Agent D. Chipman at Waco with a m14, poor quality pic, but a std M14.

My retired Marine/FBI Armorer friend Ray Sweet sent me a lot of data, but, zero on the m14 back when I was data mining him. Wasn't considered swat worthy in any manner in the 90's when we were acquiring info and gear, but, was available as a spotter weapon circa RVN Sniper doctrine, through 10-33.
The Army had a build program then through AMU, and we had "old Hook" r&r ours, but not a full AMU build.

I know, this probably isn't the info u look for.

Infamous photo

Screenshot_20210512-053822_Chrome.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: DRT308 and brianf
Government stupidity.... low bid.
HRT budget vs local team budget.
H.S.P. was insanely priced then and the hiring of Horiouchi by them .... ahem....
And at the time there were some purchase violations and procurement fraud with S&W over model 66 revolvers floating in the background, several deep background things got at least 4 people transferred to other positions, one of which was involved in the HS/FN time frame.
The whistle blower was stationed on Ft. Benning in building 4 at the time, and involved in a peripheral investigation I was working then. I learned more about .gov stupid red tape than I ever want to know then.
The whistleblower got a medical retirement, a huge settlement, and lived in fear of his life thereafter. And was a nightmare in mine. There is/was a sealed file in my old department that probably has been burned by now.
Ahhh the drama then.
Horiouchi was not the only one. When i was at AP Hill, one of their snipers killed an agent around 2001. Live fire exercise, they grabbed the body and took it off without notifying the base.

Last edited:
When I got the drag-bag and rifle out of the truck, I laid it on the table. I opened the bag and pulled the rifle out and he said, "wow, that looks just like my old gun!" He picked it up and checked it out, opened the scope caps and took a look. "It even has a standard duplex like mine had..." A few more mins and comments later, he said, "This is bad-ass; I really like it."

I said, "you like it? That's good because it's yours." He almost fell off the porch when I said that.

Probably the best gift I've ever given. Made my day.

I wasn't able to get my paws on an original barrel for this one. When faced with buying a barrel, I elected to get a stainless Krieger in the correct contour instead of a Douglas. Not that I think there's anything wrong with a Douglas, but Krieger is my favorite and if I'm spending money, what the hell!

So, instead of 12twist, 6 groove this will be 10twist, 4 groove. I think it'll shoot just fine...

Other than the barrel and action, it'll be all take-off/original parts.

I havent looked into these 169 grain bullets....

Does it take care of the trans sonic concerns?

I like 168s because they tend to group better for me at ranges I typically shoot but I go with 175s because I want the ability on those rare occasions I go long.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I haven't gotten my grubby paws on any of the new ammo, yet! But, a trusted source with reliable prior reporting says the new ammo is pretty bad-ass. Better speed and BC than 175's. I will do my own terminal performance research here this winter....

Reactions: j-huskey
Screenshot_20210813-073250_Chrome.jpg

Definitely designed for 1000 yard accuracy and flight. The closed nose won't make its terminal performance in tissue any greater...
Maybe almost kinda like shooting a full metal jacket on flesh.
Time, and @Skunk may tell.

Derrick and ASA aren't likely to approve...
Be curious about Buford B. too...

Last edited:
View attachment 7684198

Definitely designed for 1000 yard accuracy and flight. The closed nose won't make its terminal performance in tissue any greater...
Maybe almost kinda like shooting a full metal jacket on flesh.
Time, and @Skunk may tell.

Derrick and ASA aren't likely to approve...
I didn't know they made them either. I just looked into those and it looks like it has a shallower boat-tail which is what the 175 did, and the ogive is a bit of a hybrid. A stumpy hybrid, but a hybrid.

Reactions: j-huskey
747DC521-6023-484C-838C-5F6396FBCE90.jpeg

Attachments

• B42F9D44-A6D6-4D8A-A983-A08B959AA7D0.jpeg
    B42F9D44-A6D6-4D8A-A983-A08B959AA7D0.jpeg
    409 KB · Views: 211
  • D629CF64-0D9F-41DC-B2AD-556E798E29EC.jpeg
    D629CF64-0D9F-41DC-B2AD-556E798E29EC.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 202
  • E00EF924-A2A5-411F-8F99-5427BDE34F6B.jpeg
    E00EF924-A2A5-411F-8F99-5427BDE34F6B.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 208