• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Brass Sucks

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
I have a bunch of once fired match 308 brass from when I was in the Guard. I (my Marksmanship Unit) shot it and kept the brass.

I loaded a bunch (41.5 gn of 4895 pushing 168 SMKs with Fed Match primers) and shot some in my M1A. Shot good but it pulled the necks off. Tried some new Winchester Brass, same loading and worked like a champ.

I got out my Model 70 target rifle (in 308) figuring it wouldn't be as hard on the brass. WRONG, the necks stayed in the chamber. Easy to get out with a bore brush but still.

I tried a bunch of LC Match brass (852), it works great.

So all the fed brass is going in the scrap brass pile.

Anyone else have problems with Federal brass, is the defect limited to 308? How about .223?

I get one reload out of 223/556 FC brass and then toss it. I load that particular cartridge for autoloaders, where more 'stuff' can go wrong than with a bolt gun.

For my 308-chambered bolt gun, I don't even bother with Fed brass anymore. Way too much work involved (full prep) to only get one or two cycles out of them before scrapping.

I should say that I've not personally seen neck separations, but primer pockets get waaaay loose & sloppy far sooner than they should IMO

How long ago was the brass production?

About 15 - 16 years ago Federal brass quality took a dump. Seemed there was a run or a batch of bad brass that was causing problems. It was fixed but the quality never quite got back to what it was before. The new(er) stuff was much softer and less resilient to work/shot cycle (either that or we all started shooting hotter loads). That was when I started shifted completely to Lapua brass. :eek:

I find it funny I always see either rave reviews on federal brass or huge rants.

I've never seen anyone besides those who haven't used it be in the middle.

I've never had a problem with FC brass. Once I tried to prime some .223 and wasn't able to...unbeknownst to me the FC .223 had crimped in primers

I've never had a problem with FC brass. Once I tried to prime some .223 and wasn't able to...unbeknownst to me the FC .223 had crimped in primers

Does that go for their 5.56 (XM/M 193/855) as well?

I hope not I have a good 1900 rounds of that stuff waiting to be reloaded when I get around to buying dies for it.....

I had a case of FGMM 175gr. brass I used for reloading and only was able to get 2 reloads out of it before the primer pockets opened up and they were useless. This was with a relatively light load of 42.5gr Varget/175gr SMK from a Savage 10FP. I only use Lapua or Winchester now.

Does that go for their 5.56 (XM/M 193/855) as well?

I hope not I have a good 1900 rounds of that stuff waiting to be reloaded when I get around to buying dies for it.....

FC's XM193/M855 has used LC brass for the past dozen or so years and yes the primer crimp needs removal

FC's XM193/M855 has used LC brass for the past dozen or so years and yes the primer crimp needs removal

I thought Fed bought out LC that's why.. God flubbit!

Last edited:
I find it funny I always see either rave reviews on federal brass or huge rants.

I've never seen anyone besides those who haven't used it be in the middle.

CK_32,

I have used Federal Gold Medal Match brass in .308. I have achieved 5-6 firings through my brass using 43.3 grains of Varget pushing my 168 grain SMK's. The brass is VERY high quality. I would get consistent groups less than 1 MOA at 100 yards. I was shooting a Remington 700P. I wonder if all of the problems have to do with how the rounds are reloaded and the rifle? Not sure, but I cannot speak highly enough about the Federal Match brass.

What amazes me the most about Federal brass and reloading is the amount of folks who read about/heard about it being soft but never even tried it for themselves. It has worked as good for me as most others have. I once chalked it up to being soft when my primer pockets wouldn't hold primers but then I learned more about pressure and realized that for my uses there isn't brass on the planet that will hold a primer after 3 loads

CK_32,

I have used Federal Gold Medal Match brass in .308. I have achieved 5-6 firings through my brass using 43.3 grains of Varget pushing my 168 grain SMK's. The brass is VERY high quality. I would get consistent groups less than 1 MOA at 100 yards. I was shooting a Remington 700P. I wonder if all of the problems have to do with how the rounds are reloaded and the rifle? Not sure, but I cannot speak highly enough about the Federal Match brass.

I have no clue never used it my self. I've used and had good luck with Winchester for my loads. I've just always read the responded about fed. Either it's the best ever or people hate it completely. Just found it funny. The most common I've heard was the effect it had on loads more than quality. Although I have read some quality negative remarks. But I only pay half attention to negative remarks in the gun community till I see it for my self being a lot seems to be someone once said info or very biased views. Since I stopped taking people's negative advice and learned on my own. My 2 favorite guns are actually highly doubled guns via forums. So it just shows some things you just have to see for your self

I'm having very good luck reloading recent production (last 2-3 years) 308 Win. GMM brass. I'm using the brass that has a blue primer sealant. The brass weighs between 181-184 grains (pretty consistent) and I'm getting at least 6+ reloads out of it from a bolt gun. This recent brass is better than some of the older stuff.

If anyone wants to toss out their lc /federal 5.56/223 brass I will take it. I need some more victems for 300 blackout.

Went out shooting with a rifle buddy this weekend. His FNH Patrol with a Benchmark 22" and my 20" 5R, both in .308. He was on his 2nd reload with Hornady brass, I'm on my 4th with FGMM. He had case neck cracking and even full separation on a good 5-10% of his ammo. I had 1 or 2 cases starting to show signs of stress with zero failures.

We run nearly identical 175gr/44 varget loads. Federal brass is fine.

depending on what you compare it with. My lapua brass are on their 7th reload and shows no sign of stress, 155 lapua scenar/45.5gr. varget.

FC 308 headstamp brass has worked just fine for me.

Lost count of how many firings @ 42.5gr Varget + 180smk...

Then 45.5gr Varget + 175smk...

Then necked down to 7mm and run at 45.5gr H4350 + 162amax...

I've not experienced the softness others bitch about.

I have noticed quite a difference in the Federal brass from FGMM that is sold as ".308", and the FC brass sold as "7.62x51". The former is shiny and pretty brass, and the latter looks just like my LC brass with annealing marks still on them. I have only reloaded the 7.62 stuff and so far so good, can anyone confirm what if any difference is between the two? Also the headstamps on the 7.62 are just like the LC with the YOP instead of 308.

Last edited:
What amazes me the most about Federal brass and reloading is the amount of folks who read about/heard about it being soft but never even tried it for themselves. It has worked as good for me as most others have. I once chalked it up to being soft when my primer pockets wouldn't hold primers but then I learned more about pressure and realized that for my uses there isn't brass on the planet that will hold a primer after 3 loads

Interesting. Before I swtched to Lapua, I was getting 8-10 cycles out of Winchester brass... the most I ever got out of FC was three before primers started poking out.

Who knows... sort of the old Ford vs Chevrolet argument.

I absolutely love Charmin ultra soft toilet paper, but that doesn't mean I want to use it twice. FGMM has a good recipe that works well in most rifles, but the brass is too soft for reloading IMHO.

That's a pretty damn funny analogy! Since I started perusing this site, aside from the large sums of money I've spent, it certainly has provided a wealth of knowledge about all things precision, like FC brass. I learn something each and every time I'm on here.

That's a pretty damn funny analogy! Since I started perusing this site, aside from the large sums of money I've spent, it certainly has provided a wealth of knowledge about all things precision, like FC brass. I learn something each and every time I'm on here.

...and a gut-busting laugh now and again :D

Right now i'm only reloading ten fc cases for my m1a. 43 grains h4895 topped of with 155 nosler cc. I just primed these ten cases the 7th time today and the pockets still tight.

I think it is important to keep it in perspective. We expect things to last a long time, look at the number of posts/topics where guys are talking about annealing machines, bumping back shoulder 0.003, etc. Brass is brass, I really don't think it was meant to last 20 reload cycles.

In my case, I always full length resize my brass because: 1) It has to cycle, 2) I don't keep ammo for particular rifles, if I need ammo I look at 168 vs. 175 vs. 180gr and grab a few boxes for any of my rifles. Because of this I work my brass more than those guys that just bump the shoulder back a smudge.

While it is true for longer range stuff I will sort components and keep specific loads for specific rifles, I expect my generic 175 grain round to shoot 1 MOA in all my guns.

To that effect I try to use my brass 5-6 times. Once it gets to the last stage I load it up for semi auto use and discard it.

I have used older Federal brass to 8-10 cycles but when we were seeing the "less optimal" brass years ago, I took it down to 5-6 reload cycles. I have not played with it enough to be able to say if the quality has recovered/improved other than reading what other guys are reporting.

Generally the problem we see are neck splits or primer pockets loosening. I have also come across case heads that were on the verge of splitting but those are brass that were exposed to stout loads.

When I work on the brass Federal Brass feels softer than Lake City or Lapua.

Last edited:
On the contrary i havent experienced these issues. I was up to 8 or 9 reloads out of a batch of federal brass i reloaded for my bolt gun before i switched calibers and stopped using it. For my M1A i get four firings out of federal brass before I see impending signs of case head seperation. Thats the same number of reloads i got out of winchester brass in an M1A. The small samples of brass i have weighed seem to show federal brass as being more consistent in weight compared to Remington or Winchester. Perhaps one of the reasons FGMM seems to outperform most other factory loads.

Last edited:
I've been reloading with federal match brass with no problems from a bolt rifle. .308. I use CCI large rifle primers. I can FL or neck size. Not a single problem after several repeated uses.

Fed cases are made to take SAAMI pressure and last a longer time reloading before splitting. Anyone comparing the resistance of harder brass to withstand over pressure loads is comparing the wrong qualities.

Federal Brass is very soft and does not release from the chamber in gas guns, gave it up in a long time ago. In AR 15 had malfunctions due to bass being sheered off head during extraction, brass shavings jammed ejector pin and extractor, bolt unlocking and rotating case not released from chamber, of course at Camp Perry 1980s.

Not 308 but had some left over federal 300WM (some Fed "premium" and some just regular) and decided to see how it would work. Well it's got three firings on it with a under max load and has held up great and even giving me some of the most accurate groups I've got with the gun. So guess I'm on the side of the camp that has no issues with it.

I tried running Federal brass at one of Woody's DM matches in New Hill with the Saiga I put so much work into. This was only the second loading, but the primers fell out of 75% of the rounds, fouling the weapon and ruining the stage. I'm sure my partner wanted to strangle me.

I've been getting 6 - 8 loadings from Win/Black Hills 308 brass before they start failing inspection. I had one case head separation in almost 800 rounds loaded.

You couldn't pay me to use Federal brass.