• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Federal Gold 711B and 719 questions

sr15match

Lost........
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Wellsville, NY
OK. I am trying to help out my son and need a little assistance. As I am not home to have hands on help I am doing it via phone and email. He is shooting a Marlin 880SQ @ 50 yards on paper from a rest and 100 yard steel off hand but hasn't had a lot of time to try different ammo options. I opened up the barrel channel a while back and put a simple Tasco World Class 4-16x40mm scope on top.

First thing to remember when making suggestions. Home for me is a very rural area in Western NY so hopping to the local shop to check out ammo is a bit tough.

He has tried Fed Gold 711B with some sucess, RWS Dynamit Nobel Target Rifle with not much sucess, and some Green Tag with about the same results as the RWS. I am going to either order or have him pick up some other ammo to try out.

Have any of you guys had any sucess with Federal Gold 719? I have used Eley Black Box a lot in the past in my Anschutz but haven't tried it yet in the 880SQ. I wasn't looking to spend top dollar as I am not expecting benchrest results from a bargin basement rifle but I want to get as much out of it as possible. Spending up to maybe $10-12 a box of 50 is the top of the budget I have set for this.

I have read plenty about the Wolf Match Target & Extra but I need to track some down first. There are so many options out there, your opinions are appreciated. Before upgrading to a different rifle I'd like to give this one a chance and see if we can make it consistant.

Thanks - Todd

Re: Federal Gold 711B and 719 questions

Go with Wolf or SK std - same stuff
4.50/bx
719 is just higher velocity - usually not as good as sub-sonic rounds.
But always worth a try.

I bought two bricks of Federal from 22ammo.com, here . Prices were good and he shipped it out quick. He has a wide selection, you might want to check it out.

Good deal guys.

I've been "living under a rock" for several years and have drifted away from rimfire. I hope now I can get rolling again and make some progress with my son. We'll try different things but eventually will upgrade but for the time being it's rimfire on a budget for him.

Wolf MT/SK Std+ shoots very well in my Savage MKII.

If I could get Federal 711B for significantly less $$ then I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that, since it shoots nearly as good as Wolf MT. Alas, the price on the 711B has been increasing as is not worth it, to me.

719 doesn't shoot as well. Better than Automatch or 510 but not as good as 711B and no where near Wolf MT.

711B and Wolf MT shoot very very similar through my 880SQ and pretty close through my other .22's. The thing that helped my 880SQ more than anything was a trigger job.

maybe good timing, i just did a 50 yard test on 9 different ammos shot from a mark ii.
this weekend i'm stretching it out to 100, and running them through a crony. i used top shelf to bottom
of the barrel, the kind of ammo that's readily available. using group sizing and rating the ammo
shot from a clean barrel and a dirty barrel, taking flyers and $ per round into account.

i could post the 50 yard stuff tomorrow night as that data is typed up (except for the fps)
if you can wait till early next week (weather permitting) i'll include both the 50 and 100 and maybe
some 200 yard stuff.

The feedback is quite helpful guys. I wasn't sure if anyone out here had an 880SQ as the MkII is so popular.

One thing I did fail to mention is yes I have tuned the trigger to best of my ability (which might not be saying much) but it by far way better than when it came out of the box.

My wife and son are making a trip to Bufalo tomorrow so I am going to have her hit a couple different gun shops to check out ammo and I'll will put Wolf on the list for her to pick up. Right now I'm going to keep it simple, try maybe 4 or 5 different ones and try to settle from there.

Going to use more of th 711B, try some 719, and depending what they come across in their travels will get Wolf MT & ME and maybe some SK. If pricing is right maybe a box or two of Eley Black Box.

TOP PREDATOR: I look forward to seeing the range report and results.

Thanks - Todd

hope the weather agrees for the longer stuff, if not i will post the 50yards and add a part 2.
get the wolf match target and / or match extra ammo, (i never thought i'd say that!)$10.00 for 50 where i live, also try remington sub sonics,
$4.00 for 50 where i live. eley makes some good stuff also. cci green tag was nice kinda pricey though.
fed gold medal seemed to be a good "neutral" ammo at 5.00 for 50.

i'll word the test - .22 ammo test through mkII so in case you miss the posting, you can always search it.
it may help.

sr15,

Not trying to hijack your thread but thought I'd ask a question that fit with your OP...

Other then 17fps and $22.42/500rds, what's the difference in Wolf Match Extra and Wolf Match Target?

On the same note, the link I posted earlier has the Federal 711B and 719 for the same price... I figured the 711B would be more?

The velocity will be ballpark with both types of wolf - Only a chrono will tell you
what the lot is running at.
The cost increase is for more quality control.
719 is the same quality as 711 but in a HV format.
In rimfire velocity dosen't eqaul $ Quality control does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Other then 17fps and $22.42/500rds, what's the difference in Wolf Match Extra and Wolf Match Target? </div></div>

In my Savage BTVS, the Match Target is quite good, the Match Extra isn't any good at all. Thus, in my case, why pay extra for less accuracy?.....

Well my son tried the Wolf MT & ME with not much luck. It was cold and a bit windy (not ideal for testing but the wind was consistant during the testing).

He went back the to original 711B to compare and then tried some Eley Black Box that I had left over from several years ago. The Eley performed the best. So I broke down and ordered a 500rd brick of Black Box EPS from Champion Shooters.

Maybe it'll be time to upgrade rifles soon. I am thinking another (used) Anschutz 64MS Silhouette Rifle (had one years ago and loved it) or a new Anschutz 64 S-BR if I can find one.

Get ahold of Danny Killough at Killough Shooting Sports and have him put together a little package of different lots and what not of Eley to try. It is cheaper to do it this way to find your lot
smile.gif

+1 on Killough. Champion Shooters and Champions Choice can certainly put together a lot no. test together as well but also include RWS, Lapua, and Sk.

Thanks guys. Wife just told me that Championshooters is out of the Eley I was wanting.

I'll have to give Killough a shot.

Try some Federal Auto-match from Walmart.It might suprise the heck out of you. It did me on how well it shoots for the price.

I think once I make it back home again I'll try more options. It is way easier to do things first hand but having my son do this is a good experience for him.

We'll keep plugging away at it.

+1 on Champion's Choice. Also, Tony will tell you what lots are performing. Get a couple of boxes of some recommendations, test them and then buy the winners in mass quantities.

Wolf, SK, 711B, and Eley red and black box run in my 1907. Worst by far was the Green Tag and believe it or not the old Fed UM1B.

Yeah Champions is good to go. When I placed the order they called the house a day or so later saying they were out of stock. The a couple days later they called back saying they had more on hand. Glad they followed up as now I have a 500rd box at the house for my son to shoot.

Before you waste anymore ammo testing. I have to ask what else has been done to the rifle besides opening up the barrel channel? Has the trigger been worked on at all? If not that would be the first thing I'd drop a little money on. The ammo testing so far could be operator error.
As for ammo. I'd personally try every brand you can get your hands on. I have a 77/22 that will shoot CCI stingers better than it will shoot any subsonic. So you truly never know until you try it.

The trigger was tuned about 7 years ago or so when I first bought it. I didn't really expect much from the rifle but I just wanted it to be consistent was all. I shot and tinkered with it for about 4 months then due to work relocation it has sat ever since until just this Jan 09'. When home on vacation I pulled it out and gave it a good onc over before turning my son loose with it.

I had tried all kinds of ammo when I first bought it and quickly figured out what didn't work. Now that it's been pulled back out of retirement it was time to pick up where I had left off.

We're going o continue to work it a bit more before just settling and accepting it's true potential. It's not a bad shooter for what I paid for it originally.

Now my son is on the hunt for a new Savage MkII BV with hopes of gaining a little more accurate and consistent set-up.

+1 for the REM Sub-Sonic's shoots well out of three 22lr I own and fairly cheap 3.50 for 50 at wally world.

By the way, Fed GMM 719 & AM22 (Auto Match) are the same cartridge.
(Unfortunately, my Walmart no longer stocks the AutoMatch.)
The AutoMatch is just bulk pack (325 rds) and the 719 is the traditional 50 rd box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, Fed GMM 719 & AM22 (Auto Match) are the same cartridge.
(Unfortunately, my Walmart no longer stocks the AutoMatch.)
The AutoMatch is just bulk pack (325 rds) and the 719 is the traditional 50 rd box.
</div></div>

While that might be the case, I think Fed 510 and AM22 are the same. I've chronographed 510 and AM22; there velocities are practically identical and shoot to the same POA. I can alternate 510&AM22 and get the same group size as shooting just one kind.

I've also heard that 510&AM22 are failed lots of 719.