• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feedback wanted for proposed AR10 Mods

GCHK91

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
So. Florida
Hoping for some guidance from the group.

I have a stock Armalite AR10(T) w/ fiberglass HG and 24" SS barrel. Love the gun at the bench, but find it too heavy / unwieldy to carry around in the field.

I am thinking about making the following changes:

Swap barrel for 18" Bartlein fluted / threaded
Add DD 12" Lite rail
Add Smith Enterprise Vortex Flash hider

Hoping to get on the list with GAP since they did such a good job on my bolt gun.

Gun will be used for formal target / informal plinking at the range and in the field. I figure it will rarely be shot at distances over 500 yards (closest range to me is only 200y max).

I'm thinking I'm going to keep it chambered in .308 simply because of ease of finding commercial ammo and compatibility with three other rifles I already own. I do reload, but have little free time and would like to be able to just grab a box of Federal and head to the range, which might be difficult to do if it was chambered in something more exotic.

So, my question is about barrel specs, specifically dimensions and twist rate. What would be the flattest shooting and most accurate bullet for the distance I'm shooting? Sierra 155, 168, 175gr? Best twist rate? Any benefit in going with a relatively slow twist rate and light bullet due to the relatively short distances?

Any suggested barrel dimensions? I'm willing to hit the gym if need be to carry a slightly heavier gun, but want something that isn't too porky.

Thanks in advance for any / all feedback.

Greg

Re: Feedback wanted for proposed AR10 Mods

I think as far as weight, the 18" barrel will lose a little.

I have seen a lot of guys recommending 1:11.25 Bartlein for the .308, shooting 175 SMK's.

I have a Noveske 18" 1:10 twist that from my understanding will sustain 208 AMAX.

The distances you are shooting would be fine for the 168's. Past 600 I hear the 168's don't do near as well as the 175's.

Look at a the PWS compensator over the Smith flash hider.

I run 155s in a 13 twist tightbore Krieger, the 168s shoot well too. For accuracy at that distance I like .930 under the guard, an .875 gas block and .800-.830 to the muzzle at 22" it's pretty close to what a #5 contour would weigh.
That cuts about a lb off of the bull 24"
My hunter uppers are .830, .750 gas block and .730 to the muzzle.

I just had my 24" T barrel cut and re crowned to 20". Doesn't save a ton of weight, but makes the rifle a lot easier to handle. Still shoots 600+ just fine. I have the SWS E1 rail, PRS, no FH/Comp. Rifle is more accurate than I am.
KISS

Thanks for the info, particularly the barrel specs. Shedding a pound of weight sounds like a good thing.

"I have seen a lot of guys recommending 1:11.25 Bartlein for the .308, shooting 175 SMK's."

That is what I have on my GAP Remington. No complaints with the accuracy potential. It holds .5 MOA even with me behind it, hence my desire to send the AR10 in to them. They make me look like I know what I'm doing.

Accuracy with my gun is fine, but it just feels a little too porky for any kind of off hand shooting, hence my desire to re-barrel it.

Thought about having it cut, but figured getting a new one and then reselling the old one would come out pretty close in cost. Either that, or I may hang on to the 24" and build it back into a separate upper at some point.

Thought about going with the SWS but got a good deal on the DD lite rail. I really like Art's Revision 3 Sniper rail, I just don't ever seem to catch them when they are in stock.

Still on the fence about the flash hider. I'm thinking that putting a comp on an 18" bbl will result in an extremely loud weapon. That plus the inevitable gas venting tends to agitate people on either side of me. I TRY to be conscientious of my fellow shooters...I'll look into the PWS and see.

Thanks for the feedback.

Greg

If you think your stock Ar-10 is heavy you should come handle the bench AR-10 I'm building! Its a beast, you can get a workout carrying it in the field. No doubt the stock one is heavy as well.

My 21" Noveske ended up at 16 lbs unloaded. I have not gotten a chance to run any 208's through the 1:10 twist yet.

She is a heavy pig, but I can still shoot offhand with it.