• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fertilizer shortage

5-10-15 is $600 local for small quantity. Crazy high and will likely be higher in a couple months.

I put 20 yards of cow poop on my garden today and ran the disc across it a few times. My neighbor told me he saw some insane fertilizer prices, glad for the bovine shite.

DB5C98C5-8043-4742-A11A-028A4E535B8D.jpeg

Lucky you.
It's 18 with a -8 windchill right now. Gonna be downright nasty at 5am when I have to get up.
-7 here with a balmy high of -3 tomorrow. That 5 am is going to suck

We got lucky and bought enough anhydrous to apply most of ours last fall at a little less than half the price it ended up. From what I have been hearing they are not talking a price drop until mid summer and then they don’t think it will be huge. Getting product is going to be interesting to say the least. Not only fertilizer but chemicals and machinery parts. Waited for injectors for four wheel drive tractor for 2-3 months last summer.

The global economy is really fuckin us right now.

When we get down to brass tacks.... The uncertainty of the future is what wakes us up in the middle of the night. None of us know what the next day will bring.
That and the pain in my neck...and back...and knees.

This is what America should be doing.... Making more fertilizer, importing less.

SAO PAULO (Reuters) – Brazil’s agriculture minister, Tereza Cristina Dias, said on Wednesday the country will soon launch a national fertilizer plan to stimulate investments in potash and phosphorus mines.
In an interview with CNN, Dias said Brazil needs to have bigger fertilizer production for a “national security matter.”
The minister said the government expects to have the plan, which was under review by the Economy and Agriculture ministries, ready by March 17. It aims to minimize bottlenecks in terms of legislation, taxes and especially environmental issues, for the national development of the sector, she said.

Nice... I'm waiting on the ground to thaw... Down to -8 tomorrow night....
If you are in a pinch you can apply the manure directly. If you have time, you are better off to compost it, then top dress it without tilling it in. This requires you to get a headstart on things though. You would compost it this summer, and spread it in the fall. It shouldn't be too hard to find some sources of carbon to compost the manure with.

Probably the easiest thing to compost is dried leaves. They are easy to get too, people bag them up and beg you to take them away in the fall. Most people forget compost is just green and brown organic matter mixed 4 to 1 and broken down, they throw away all their material to make it, then go buy crappy compost form wally world.

Also fish hydrolysate is very over looked fertilizer. Hydrolysate, not emulsion. If its hight in N, its the wrong one.

The hydrolysate works really well for compost tea, if you have a large tank, big air pump and some high quality compost, you can multiply its effects compared to the volume by using it breed the microbes in the compost in an aerated compost tea. If you just have a small garden, you can do it with a fish tank pump and 5 gallon bucket. You need to make sure to get a big enough pump for what ever you use. A microscope is helpful in making sure you are getting the biology and somewhat of an idea if its the correct biology.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
The "fertilizer shortage" is the latest manufactured "shortage", or more accurately, embargo, by Klaus Schwab, Bill Gates and their partner China to further cripple the U.S.

Destroy America's agriculture and you've destroyed it's spinal column.

Along with China, whose bought up millions of acres of America's farmland recently?

Last edited:
Reactions: gigamortis
You guys have a favorite seed/plant dealer? I’ve not had the best of luck with my local suppliers. They didnt have the healthiest plants last season.

You guys have a favorite seed/plant dealer? I’ve not had the best of luck with my local suppliers. They didnt have the healthiest plants last season.
Not really... When I get plants and veggies that do well in Montana... I save the seeds from the hardiest plants... But it seems every year there is something that just does not grow well. Not just at my place but through out the region. One year it may be corn and the next year it may be tomatoes.

Reactions: Pre64
That happened here in N Ky, I never got a ripe tomato, but my potatoes did fantastic.
The County Fair is here when the crops are ready to pick.... Last year most exhibit's looked bad because they had to pick them to enter them in the fair.. Certainly not global warming. It was a cool spring and very smokey summer. Things just did not grow well.

Get plants that were delivered in the last couple days. The nurseries are probably delivering heathy plants to your local store.

That happened here in N Ky, I never got a ripe tomato, but my potatoes did fantastic.
Two years ago it was so wet that the tomatoes split before they could ripen.

Reactions: Pre64
I just read that Russia is the #4 producer of fertilizer, so war/sanctions would likely increase cost.

I just read that Russia is the #4 producer of fertilizer, so war/sanctions would likely increase cost.
Interesting topic. Fertilizer started increasing in cost when one of the hurricanes knocked a Louisiana fertilizer plant off line last year. From that point, due to many other factor's prices started to increase. Mega farms stocked up last fall on fertilizer in the off season. but they only have one year's worth in storage. Watching the supply for the 2023 planting season is where the commodity traders are focusing.

OsloNorway's Yara, one of the world's largest fertilizer makers, is curtailing its ammonia and urea output in Italy and France due to the surge in natural gas prices, it said on Wednesday, in another sign of rising costs for food production.

Reactions: Davo308 and KZP
Has anyone read the book Ten Acres Enough? For a small Farm there is a lot of good info, along with a real lesson on mindset.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
The Green Markets Weekly North America Fertilizer Price Index is constructed using the fertilizer benchmark prices of US Gulf Coast Urea, US Cornbelt Potash and NOLA Barge DAP. The index is value weighted based on the annual global demand of each nutrient. For current year pricing we use fertilizer demand forecasts from the Green Markets Research. The index has a starting date of January 7, 2002 and an associated starting value of 100. The index is updated on a weekly basis at the time of publication ofGreen Markets. The index provides a snapshot of how North American fertilizer prices are trending over time.

The Green Markets North American Fertilizer Index jumped 16% Friday to a new high. Prices for the widely used nutrient urea in New Orleans soared 22%, also reaching a record. And an index for potash in Brazil rocketed a record 34%.

Last edited:
Reactions: KZP
Just watch.
This is all part of a carefully concocted plan.
It;s not because you use fertilizer to grow food.
It's because you can use it as a weapon (not going to explain for those that don't understand...look it up if you don't already know).
Fuel - molotov - will soon be unavailable
I bet they even go after the 1lb propane cans.
You need a fuel, an oxidizer, and an initiator.
Primers and powder....nope, pretty much unavailable even though they are a terrible choice.
They are removing options to fight them with.
Mark my words.

Just watch.
This is all part of a carefully concocted plan.
It;s not because you use fertilizer to grow food.
It's because you can use it as a weapon (not going to explain for those that don't understand...look it up if you don't already know).
Fuel - molotov - will soon be unavailable
I bet they even go after the 1lb propane cans.
You need a fuel, an oxidizer, and an initiator.
Primers and powder....nope, pretty much unavailable even though they are a terrible choice.
They are removing options to fight them with.
Mark my words.
Interesting