• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fertilizer shortage

Not really... When I get plants and veggies that do well in Montana... I save the seeds from the hardiest plants... But it seems every year there is something that just does not grow well. Not just at my place but through out the region. One year it may be corn and the next year it may be tomatoes.
Seems it does do that. One year tomatoes grow like mad and the next it’s squash and zukes that go nuts while tomatoes suck.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Just watch.
This is all part of a carefully concocted plan.
It;s not because you use fertilizer to grow food.
It's because you can use it as a weapon (not going to explain for those that don't understand...look it up if you don't already know).
Fuel - molotov - will soon be unavailable
I bet they even go after the 1lb propane cans.
You need a fuel, an oxidizer, and an initiator.
Primers and powder....nope, pretty much unavailable even though they are a terrible choice.
They are removing options to fight them with.
Mark my words.
iu

Brazil, the top exporter of everything from soybeans to coffee and sugar and the biggest importer of fertilizers, argues for keeping crop nutrients sanction free in the name of food security. The U.S., on the other hand, leans toward upping the ante against Russia.

“Maybe sacrifices are necessary to address the unjustified war that Russia has chosen to start,” U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said during a virtual event organized by the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization on Wednesday.

Yesterday, FED Jerome Powell said this years goal was to stabilize / level off "prices".... Now, he did not say reduce prices, simply level them off. The numbers you are showing indicate prices are continuing to increase. His words were "The economy must be slowed". Reducing demand slows an economy. In this very specific case, the demand for food would need to decrease in order for the demand for fertilizer to decrease. As long as the US Government continues to subsidize food for the rest of the world the trade deficit will increase. Simply raising interest rates 0.25% is not going to reduce the demand for food. Maybe I am missing something..... Comments ?

Some fertilizers have more than doubled in price. For instance, Melek said potash traded in Vancouver was priced at about $210 per metric tons at the beginning of 2021, and it’s now valued at $565. He added that urea for delivery to the Middle East was trading at $268 per metric ton on the Chicago Board of Trade in early 2021 and was valued at $887.50 on Tuesday.

One more "shot to the foot"...

The EU is expected to deliver another shock to its agricultural sector by capping Russian imports of potash, a crucial ingredient for growing food, according to Bloomberg, citing a Dow Jones report.
The European Commission is expected to imminently unveil broad new sanctions on Russia. Much of the fertilizer is purchased from Belarus; the landlocked country in Eastern Europe could also be slapped with new sanctions for its involvement in Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

One more "shot to the foot"...

The EU is expected to deliver another shock to its agricultural sector by capping Russian imports of potash, a crucial ingredient for growing food, according to Bloomberg, citing a Dow Jones report.
The European Commission is expected to imminently unveil broad new sanctions on Russia. Much of the fertilizer is purchased from Belarus; the landlocked country in Eastern Europe could also be slapped with new sanctions for its involvement in Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

This is why I have been saying that most of these sanctions are temporary in nature. Biden is pushing for regime change, but if it doesn't happen quickly the world will suffer.

I'm a contractor in a nitrogen product plant. They make AN, UAN, Nitric acid, and ammonia... All by cracking natural gas.

They are loading trucks and railcars 24/7 and still can't keep up with the demand.

Mike

I'm a contractor in a nitrogen product plant. They make AN, UAN, Nitric acid, and ammonia... All by cracking natural gas.

They are loading trucks and railcars 24/7 and still can't keep up with the demand.

Mike
I hear there are barges sitting outside Baltimore full of 32 percent with no where to go

• Sad
They are hauling 32 from Texas to Kansas right now because it didn’t get used in Texas like they thought. With the dry weather in Kansas ain’t nobody going to use that high dollar stuff this summer LOL
Yeah those colluding cock suckers can eat it.

What is there left. 2. Maybe. Fertilizer companys.

We have farmers selling off their complete herds because they don't have the grass and couldn't fertilize due to the price hike this spring. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just getting 2 tons of 20-10-20. I already offered to let my neighbor use my pasture (I only have a few horses so I can tolerate his cattle on there for a couple of weeks). With everybody selling off their herds down here prices are going to drop and I am betting some of those same people will try to list their farms but with percentage rates being high I am not sure how many will be interested in taking out loans to buy them.

Reactions: babyguppy
We have farmers selling off their complete herds because they don't have the grass and couldn't fertilize due to the price hike this spring. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and just getting 2 tons of 20-10-20. I already offered to let my neighbor use my pasture (I only have a few horses so I can tolerate his cattle on there for a couple of weeks). With everybody selling off their herds down here prices are going to drop and I am betting some of those same people will try to list their farms but with percentage rates being high I am not sure how many will be interested in taking out loans to buy them.
Bill Gates and the ChiComs will step up.

Reactions: stefan73
George S loves (having his entities) buying farms, DA's, and radio stations to propagate his BS

Risk versus Reward
Like watching a high stakes card game with 4 small time players and a couple of high rollers.... There will not be a clear cut winner, just who is left standing at the end of the game.

Kenny Rogers, The Gambler
On a warm summer's evening
On a train bound for nowhere
I met up with the gambler
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-starin'
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us
And he began to speak

but the high rollers have the dealer (politicians) in their pocket

One of my customers down in texas works a 2600 acre ranch for cattle. They use a 880 acre block for grass they cut for hay. I believe they cut it twice a season, but i'm not 100% sure on that. They worked a deal with the local chicken growers to get chicken manure, ect, for $39/ton that they spread on the grass field to fertilize it. He says it's working out great, and even with high diesel costs to truck it around, it's still far cheaper than the typical fertilizer options.

Branden

One of my customers down in texas works a 2600 acre ranch for cattle. They use a 880 acre block for grass they cut for hay. I believe they cut it twice a season, but i'm not 100% sure on that. They worked a deal with the local chicken growers to get chicken manure, ect, for $39/ton that they spread on the grass field to fertilize it. He says it's working out great, and even with high diesel costs to truck it around, it's still far cheaper than the typical fertilizer options.

Branden
The local chicken farms are charging a lot down here because they can, try $400-600 a ton for chicken manure but then fertilizer per ton is roughly $800-900. With the recent high heat and lack of rain it is not looking good for hay production so we will see a massive increase in hay prices in the Louisiana area as demand will outsource supply with a lack of production from lack of fertilizing and also rain. We had an ok spring which would have been great to fertilize and get a good strong pasture but the costs were prohibitive for many in this area (CENLA) and we took the gamble to save a little. Luckily my pasture is almost set up like a silvo pasture so I have the trees to protect a lot of it. I do have to cut the pasture because the native grass in times of drought produces an acid that is stored in it (up in the seed heads if I remember correctly) that can cause founder and other issues in equines and other livestock.

I fully expect to see the wild horse herd populations grow in this area as people dump their horses like they did when there was a drought in 2010.

Branden
that shit *literally* will burn anything if it's put on too thick. Hell, you don't need weed killer, just lay about 1 inch of chicken crap where you want to kill weeds.

that shit *literally* will burn anything if it's put on too thick. Hell, you don't need weed killer, just lay about 1 inch of chicken crap where you want to kill weeds.
Two years ago my neighbor used it. It worked well minus some weeds and it stunk but not bad if applied at the right time and spread correctly.

Reactions: babyguppy
The local chicken farms are charging a lot down here because they can, try $400-600 a ton for chicken manure but then fertilizer per ton is roughly $800-900. With the recent high heat and lack of rain it is not looking good for hay production so we will see a massive increase in hay prices in the Louisiana area as demand will outsource supply with a lack of production from lack of fertilizing and also rain. We had an ok spring which would have been great to fertilize and get a good strong pasture but the costs were prohibitive for many in this area (CENLA) and we took the gamble to save a little. Luckily my pasture is almost set up like a silvo pasture so I have the trees to protect a lot of it. I do have to cut the pasture because the native grass in times of drought produces an acid that is stored in it (up in the seed heads if I remember correctly) that can cause founder and other issues in equines and other livestock.

I fully expect to see the wild horse herd populations grow in this area as people dump their horses like they did when there was a drought in 2010.
Horse population will drop once things get really bad and people start to eat the horses. When food prices get so high that the working poor start to have difficulty getting enough calories, they'll find ways to supplement.

Branden

I went to freaking Lowe's to get some fertilizer for my back yard which was stripped bare during tree removal (4 of them). I about "keeled" over Doug Mercata style when I saw the 50lb bag. I got the 25 lb bag and then some "natural" fertilizer (which is fine because it doesn't burn, stinks..yes).

That must be calculated at per tn nutrient or something. At $400 to $600/tn, chem fertilizer would be cheaper.

Reactions: deersniper
The local chicken farms are charging a lot down here because they can, try $400-600 a ton for chicken manure but then fertilizer per ton is roughly $800-900.
You can overdo it with the chicken litter. Evidently, it has some residual effect. There has been so much chicken litter spread over the farms in my area over the years that they rarely use it anymore.

America is spoiled and wants everything quick, easy and cheap.
When this recession deepens and the cheap and easy disappear, nothing will happen quickly. Hunger will come about much quicker than building a sustainable homestead.
Prior to WW2 all crops were "organic".
Population wasn't as large and neither was production. Of course we didn't waste as much out of necessity. I see backyard farms coming back like we had when I was a kid.