• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fertilizer shortage

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Every farmer in the area. They do test the soil periodically. My produce farm here in East Texas is just a homestead farm, but when I tested my soil about ten years ago, the first thing they told me was not to put any chicken litter on it. My wheat farm in NW Oklahoma might be a different story.
Agriculture is being forced to adapt, for many reasons. Crops that thrive on chicken litter will soon be located closer to the chickens. Either move the chickens or move the crops. All the bad publicity on "global warming" and few are seeing that crops can be grown now a ways farther north. That 2 degrees they are concerned about would have been welcome here on my homestead in early May. Adapt, Improvise and Survive

Reminds me gonna need more Doner sauce........for the long pork...

Litter is fairly balanced. The problem is when folks try to meet their N needs with litter only, they're probably putting out double or more the P&K. P will buildup in the soil, reducing production and can cause pollution to water.
There we go, "there is some residue that builds up" is what got me. Thought this residue might be interesting to look into.

There we go, "there is some residue that builds up" is what got me. Thought this residue might be interesting to look into.
Fresh chicken manure contains 0.5% to 0.9% nitrogen, 0.4% to 0.5% phosphorus, and 1.2% to 1.7% potassium. One chicken produces approximately 8 to 11 pounds (3.6 to 5.0 kg) of manure monthly - per wiki

Fresh chicken manure contains 0.5% to 0.9% nitrogen, 0.4% to 0.5% phosphorus, and 1.2% to 1.7% potassium. One chicken produces approximately 8 to 11 pounds (3.6 to 5.0 kg) of manure monthly - per wiki
That weight is interesting. Must be wet weight. My coop has a build up and it is almost like dust. I plan on gathering and putting it in a few different locations on different plants to see the reaction. Could have something to do with what they are being fed as far as minerals. If I can get it to kill Canada Thistle that would be a plus.

Side Note - We had a cow, that would eat 'bull thistle'. It was funny as hell to watch. She'd take 5 minutes to gently wrap her tongue around the 'flower' and pluck it off. She single handedly killed all the bull thistle on the property. It must have had some intoxicating effect.
Canadian thistle is NASTY.

Things are just not adding up.
“Placing tariffs on nitrogen fertilizers will land yet another blow to farmers, who are already dealing with a host of issues,” said Brooke S. Appleton, vice president of public policy at the National Corn Growers Association. “Farming is hard enough in the current environment. Farmers can’t do what they do with one hand tied behind their backs. And actions like these, pushed by fertilizer companies, will tie the hands of farmers.”

Reactions: supercorndogs
who needs farmers... city people get all their food from grocery stores. ;)
Its gonna be food from China. They own the farm land already to grow it here. They bought at least one rail line that runs through a bunch of it already. They are trying to break the American farmer.

• Sad
Side Note - We had a cow, that would eat 'bull thistle'. It was funny as hell to watch. She'd take 5 minutes to gently wrap her tongue around the 'flower' and pluck it off. She single handedly killed all the bull thistle on the property. It must have had some intoxicating effect.
Canadian thistle is NASTY.

Minerals. Yucca is another one. Cows and Bison will go crazy over it some times of the year.