• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP and illumination

Spooky68

Private Parts
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2014
Fulshear, Tx
Hi. Long time lurker and finally have the need for my first post. I have never had a ffp scope but the idea seems to make good sense to me. For those of you that do have them do you really lose the reticle in low power low contrast situations? Would an illuminated reticle help? I really don't want to have to spend the money on that option if I don't really need it. I also don't want anything bigger than a 42mm objective and the zoom ranges I am interested in are 3-15ish neighborhood. My eyesight is also going downhill.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what conditions you plan on shooting, but if experience taught me anything - it is better to have and not use (usually only at the moment) rather than not have it and need it.

I've owned a Vortex 6-24x50 FFP with EBR-2C reticle for about an hour now. At low mag the reticle is definitely VERY fine and I think will be difficult to see under low contrast conditions without the illumination. If it didn't have the illumination I wouldn't have purchased it.

I've seen illum on a FFP Leupold MK8 and when the mag is at the lowest position it becomes like a red dot. Simply bad ass.

You might only use low power magnification on close targets. Not sure how much illumination would be needed for that other than shooting a black hog/bear under a dark tree with a black reticle in low light conditions....

Maybe I just answered my own question.....disregard. Get the illumination.

You might only use low power magnification on close targets. Not sure how much illumination would be needed for that other than shooting a black hog/bear under a dark tree with a black reticle in low light conditions....

Maybe I just answered my own question.....disregard. Get the illumination.

Yes you did. That was my exact scenario as well. Having never looked through these scopes in those conditions I can only speculate and ask for you personal experience before I spend the money.
Many thanks!

Based on my experience (1) you won't "lose" the reticle on lower power and (2) you won't be using lower power 99% of the time (3) you might use lower power to get a wider view even at long range and (4) with or without illumination. Anyway, don't most people use SFP for hunting at point blank range?

I have a Leupold Mk 6 1-6X scope and at anything lower than 4x the subtensions on the FFP scope very small and are not very useful for ranging especially if your eyesight is degrading as is mine. Even the illuminated reticle doesn't help very much other than using the scope as a red dot. I'd stick to a FFP scope that has its lowerest magnification range starting no lower than 4X.

Based on my experience (1) you won't "lose" the reticle on lower power and (2) you won't be using lower power 99% of the time (3) you might use lower power to get a wider view even at long range and (4) with or without illumination. Anyway, don't most people use SFP for hunting at point blank range?

Good pushback on #4. I'd have to think of what I would shoot at outside my point blank range. I'm not much of a tree stand guy and have had times where I can shoot varmints, hogs and deer all in one outing. If they all fall within my pbr then you are probably right and will need to rethink why I would need a ffp scope.

When I bought my scope I had the salesman go outside with me so that I could evaluate better than just looking across the room. Go in the late evening as the sun is setting and see what you think.

Spooky, check out the bushnell. Lush, 3-12 x 42, FTP. The recticle has a "donut of death ". Which will help with low light or snap shooting opportunities, no illumination.

Idahoorion

Spooky, check out the bushnell. Lrhs. 3-12 x 42, FTP. The recticle has a "donut of death ". Which will help with low light or snap shooting opportunities, no illumination.

Idahoorion

Spooky, check out the bushnell. Lrhs. 3-12 x 42, FTP. The recticle has a "donut of death ". Which will help with low light or snap shooting opportunities, no illumination.

Idahoorion

Thanks. I've just now started following those lrhs threads. Nice scope! 44mm may seem a bit large for what I want. I don't want a Hubble telescope on my rifle....but I think I can convince myself that 44 is ok

Hunting with FFP = Illumination for me. I have illumination on all my hunting optics. Dawn/Dusk and night time predator hunting; illumination is a must in my mind. As someone else said, it's better to have and not use rather than not have and need.