• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes FFP Nightforce for hunting gun, worth it

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I have one FFP Mil Spec NF scope. Im still not an accomplished shooter with the Milling for distance aspect. I bought another NF for a hunting gun the other day and went for the straight 3.5-15X56 MLR for about $500 cheaper. I have gone back and forth about FFP.

My thought was, its hunting gun and I can still Mil at 15X, I will be using a rangefinder......every excuse to not get the FFP. And still had some remorse. It will be a Western Long Range rifle. Its a model 70, that just got a new Krieger in 300WM.

Do you have a strong opinion either way for my application?

Re: FFP Nightforce for hunting gun, worth it

If your not using the reticle for holdovers other than 15 power while hunting then its not really needed. Myself I like FFP for hunting just for the time I am on say 12 power and need a fast holdover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wishooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Myself I like FFP for hunting just for the time I am on say 12 power and need a fast holdover. </div></div>

This is why I use it also, not necessarily for ranging purposes.

I don't buy FFP scopes for ranging purposes (LRFs are cheap), I buy them so that I can use the reticle for hold-overs and leads on movers at any magnification. The FFP scope allows you to just shoulder the rifle and fire, without having to make an adjustment or have the scope set on a specific magnification (provided you know your dope).

Is the weight of the nightforce a concern at all for a hunting application? I own a 5.5-22x50 for a target rifle and it is not light by any means, and if memory serves, I dont believe the FFP is much lighter.
Specifically on the subject of FFP for hunting, I too am on the fence, as it would be nice to shoulder the rifle at any magnification and determine hold over, but at the low magnification, I am concerned the the reticle milling would not be discernable. I have not gotten hands on a NF ffp, but with other FFP scopes I have used, the reticle milling all but disappears at low mag.

My next one will be FFP just for the holding wind at whatever magnification I'm on. I missed a coyote the a while back because I held 2 moa for wind and missed because I was only on 7-8x. From now on all my new scopes will all be FFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willyz54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the weight of the nightforce a concern at all for a hunting application? I own a 5.5-22x50 for a target rifle and it is not light by any means, and if memory serves, I dont believe the FFP is much lighter.
Specifically on the subject of FFP for hunting, I too am on the fence, as it would be nice to shoulder the rifle at any magnification and determine hold over, but at the low magnification, I am concerned the the reticle milling would not be discernable. I have not gotten hands on a NF ffp, but with other FFP scopes I have used, the reticle milling all but disappears at low mag. </div></div>

The weight is of no concern. I don't like a light rifle. however, I did have my barrel shaved to 24 inches from 26 because weight on the nose of the barrel is awkward . I took about an inch off the rear and front. It would have been too heavy. It made it a nice weight hunting rifle. I have several NF scopes, so weight is no surprise. Bottom line I guess, there is no downside to FFP except $$$.

and the reticle will be thicker on max power than a SFP scope. not a huge deal but some folks have heart palpitations over it.

ffp for the quick follow up shots if needed,or for holding over /wind ect.worth the extra money imho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willyz54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Specifically on the subject of FFP for hunting, I too am on the fence, as it would be nice to shoulder the rifle at any magnification and determine hold over, but at the low magnification, I am concerned the the reticle milling would not be discernable.</div></div>

With the MLR reticle in the F1, it's a bit tough for my eyes to clearly make out the markings on the lowest (3.5x) magnification. By 5-6x, the reticles features are pretty clear. To be honest, this varies somewhat with lighting conditions and the color/contrast of the target.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't think that someone would be doing a lot of ranging and holdovers at the lowest scope power, as this somewhat implies that the target is close enough for a dead-center aim. I'm sure someone can imagine scenarios where my assumption is incorrect, so it really comes down to individual needs.

I feel for the most part the 3-15x50mm would be perfect for a hunting rig and Nightforce makes one of the best. The F1 rock and the mil-spec are built more solid.

If anyone need help in getting Nighforce scopes we have a few in stock.

Mike @ CST