• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP or SFP scope for F Class

BigGabe

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2012
Hardinsburg,KY
Hey Guys, there may be a thread about this but I've had no luck finding it. Here's the deal though. I want to start shooting F Class, most of the time it would be in the 600 yard range maybe longer every now and then, and was wondering which focal plane would be the best to use, 1st or 2nd. Have a budget up to $1200 or so. What magnification you all like the best would be good to know as well. I'd like to get it right the first time if you know what I mean. Thanks Gabe.

For F class, SFP would be the way to go.
Sightron makes a 10-50 that would be very suitable for you.
The adjustments are .05 mil, which is fine enough for your work, the mag range is suitable for when you start shooting at 1000. They only drawback is there is not alot of adjustment per revolution, so you'll need to be careful when dialing.

Burris does make a new XTR II specifically for F class and would be worthwhile looking at.

Both of these street prices come in under your budget.

For F-Class and Benchrest I would stick with SFP.
I would also even consider MOA over MIL only because the adjustments are more fine with a MOA turret/reticle configuration....not saying you can't do it with MIL based optics (or with a FFP scope)...just that MOA pretty much dominates the lingo in that world of shooting.

I own ONE SFP MOA scope ... its on my F/TR rig. MOA target ... MOA reticle ... extreme precision known distance game so 1/8 MOA knobs ...

Using a NF NXS 5.5-22X50 for F-class. Seems about right for power with the conditions that are usual for the area. You can pick up a used one at the price point mentioned, mine was used when I bought it and I've had no issues. You need to be able to see scoring rings, not hard at 600 but can get difficult at 1000. MOA is the way to go, I personally don't care for 1/8 moa turrets but there are a lot of them on the line.

^^^^unless you plan on shooting unknown distances etc...I would go second focal.

I love my FFP mil/mil but for F class would stick with 1/8 moa sfp. Doesn't have to be uber powerful though. I shoot at 14-18 power normally.