• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FFP vs SFP: Usability in Lower Power Optics

Blackfoot 7

FNG
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
This topic most likely has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, but I'd like to pick the brains of the more experienced shooters here. While I'm not new to shooting, I am a newb to shooting beyond 300m. I've got an LMT MWS on the way and have decided that something with a max magnification range of 10x would best suit my needs as I most likely won't be engaging targets beyond 500m. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Vortex 2.5-10x32 as an interim scope until I decide whether I need to upgrade from there or not. However, I can get a pretty good deal on a new Nightforce 2.5-10x32 right now as well. I've done quite a bit of reading on both optics and it really boils down to whether or not I need FFP vs SFP. I read a lot of arguments both for and against the need for FFP in this magnification range. I know some are of the opinion that FFP is not necessary in a mid-range scope with a 10x top end. I will be using the set-up primarily for target shooting, no foreseeable tactical application (but would like the capability if called upon to perform that function), and although I don't hunt right now, I might like to give it a try at some point. So what are your thoughts/opinions on the usability of FFP in an optic in this magnification range? I appreciate your time.

The usefulness of FFP all depends on the reticle design. I've owned that Vortex and I found the reticle a little too fine (thin) at 2.5x. Not awful, but not ideal. The SFP Nightforce would stay the same size, of course, but only accurate for ranging at 10x.

SWFA has a 3-9x42 SS scope with a FFP reticle that is very useable at both ends of the range. No illumination. It's on sale today only for $470 or so. If you don't need illumination it's a good option.

Another very nice option in that general range is the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 with the G2DMR reticle. It's also a little fine at 3x but to me a bit better than the PST, and above 5x it's fine all the way up. Really nice glass and features for around the same price as the PST. The G2 model has no illumination, but if you want/need illumination there's a BTR-MIL reticle with it.

The usefulness of FFP all depends on the reticle design. I've owned that Vortex and I found the reticle a little too fine (thin) at 2.5x. Not awful, but not ideal. The SFP Nightforce would stay the same size, of course, but only accurate for ranging at 10x.

SWFA has a 3-9x42 SS scope with a FFP reticle that is very useable at both ends of the range. No illumination. It's on sale today only for $470 or so. If you don't need illumination it's a good option.

Another very nice option in that general range is the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 with the G2DMR reticle. It's also a little fine at 3x but to me a bit better than the PST, and above 5x it's fine all the way up. Really nice glass and features for around the same price as the PST. The G2 model has no illumination, but if you want/need illumination there's a BTR-MIL reticle with it.

Thanks. I've looked at those options as well, played around with other options at my LGS, and trying out what some buddies of mine are using. In the end my choice came down to the Vortex (and now the Nightforce) specifically. I was also looking at the US Optics 1.8-10x37, but it's out of my price range at the moment. I figured one or the other would be a good scope to learn on and figure out what I want vs what is needed before investing in a high end scope that I would plan to keep in the long run. I guess what it really comes down to, if I have to ask whether I need a certain feature, I guess I really don't need it. But on the flip side of that coin, maybe I just don't realize I need it yet... if that makes sense. the answers I'm getting from people I know are vague at best, with none of them really having enough experience to give an educated answer. The Vortex Viper variant I'm considering is the newer 2014 model with capped turrets and the XLR MOA tree reticle (no illum). While illumination is a welcome feature, I don't think I'll be using it much if at all. The Nightforce model I'm considering also has capped turrets, no zero stop, mil dot. Although I think I'd prefer the MOAR reticle and would consider a reticle swap if I elected to go that route. Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you're likely to resell, the Nightforce will probably have better resale value. Which reticle is in the Nightforce you're looking at? Flip side, I believe that Nighforce is fixed parallax, and if you're going to be focusing on 300-500M target shooting you might want the adjustable parallax that the PST has.

If you're likely to resell, the Nightforce will probably have better resale value. Which reticle is in the Nightforce you're looking at? Flip side, I believe that Nighforce is fixed parallax, and if you're going to be focusing on 300-500M target shooting you might want the adjustable parallax that the PST has.

The current NF I'm considering has a mil dot reticle in it. Many years ago I put together a long range precision rig with the help of a friend and it had a Leupy 6.5-20x on it (illuminated mil dot). Never shot it much and didn't have much time to learn to shoot it proficiently. After a couple years I sold it and focused on short range marksmanship. Now that I'm considering shooting longer distances again I'm ready to invest the time to learning the skill. In my research I've come to the conclusion that I would be more inclined to use holdovers as opposed to dialing in. You make a good point about the adjustable parallax. I handled the Vortex with the XLR at my LGS and was very impressed with it. But then again I looked at the NF and it seemed to be a better built optic. I appreciate your time.

The Nightforce is, without a doubt, the better built scope. But not everyone needs a tanklike scope or wants to pay for one. If you're willing to wait a month or two, the Burris XTR II series looks very promising, with a 2-10x42 FFP model that should be very competitive with the scopes you're looking at, for $799 or so. Link below. I don't think anyone has these in stock yet but as you can see in the 6-page thread about them they should be in stock very soon.

XTR Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

There's only one thing that bothers me about my NF 2.5-10 and that is it does not have any marks below the turret so there is no indication of which rev I'm on. Not much of a problem for you because you'll be shooting inside 300Y but still I thought I should mention it.

Other than that it's a pretty awesome scope! It is nice having SFP for close in shooting. For me the scope is either on 10x or 2.5x. Mine has the LV600 reticle in it. I dial 6 clicks up from my 100Y zero and use the reticle on 10x for holdovers so it's a pretty versatile scope. The windage hashes are very close for 69's as well.

I'm really used to using FFP. If I can see the reticle, I'll probably end up trying to use it at the wrong power when I'm in a hurry. I've done it with my 1-4x PST. I can only imagine it would be happening far more often with a 2.5-10x power scope. I would much rather have FFP with a good reticle like the one they're putting in the Bushnell Long Range Hunter.

I'm not a fan of ffp on low magnification scopes, more times than not, it renders the reticle useless or almost useless on low magnification, and if your shooting at distance, you'll be at 4 or 6x.

In my opinion, there is no downside to FFP when a well-designed reticle is used. I really like the ones that SWFA and USO use in their low magnification scopes. They work like an Eotech reticle at low magnification and a standard mil-radian reticle at higher magnification. That combined with the ability to hold for elevation/windage at any magnification makes SFP virtually obsolete in my opinion. The only place I would ever consider using SFP anything would be benchrest/F-class style shooting or the dual focal plane concept that USO uses in their awesome SR-8c or whatever it is called.

Different strokes for different folks though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really the key. Not being able to see the reticle at low power is not due to the scope being FFP, it's due to poor reticle design. A well designed reticle will enhance the scope's use at low magnification.

That's really the key. Not being able to see the reticle at low power is not due to the scope being FFP, it's due to poor reticle design. A well designed reticle will enhance the scope's use at low magnification.

Yes, in principle. It's just that to me there aren't many companies doing good reticle design on lower power FFP scopes. The only FFP reticle I'm completely happy with in a lower power scope is Leupold's CMR-W in the 1-6x Mark 6. I would give a B to SWFA's reticle in the 1-6x SS and a B+ to their discontinued T-reticle (German #4 style, kinda) in the 1-4x SS (they are only now selling the circle-cross reticle in that scope). I've owned the FFP Vortex PST in 2.5-10x32 and 4-16x50 flavor and both were very thin bordering on too faint to see at minimum power. About the same for the G2DMR in the Bushnell 3-12x44, although for some reason I find it slightly easier to use at minimum power.

Wanting to use illumination generally makes things more difficult still, though again the CMR-W does very well, and the SWFA SS do fairly well.

In comparison, it's really hard to mess up a SFP reticle in the lower power range. Notice that Vortex only offers SFP in their lower power scopes (Razor 1-6x and PST 1-4x) after discontinuing the FFP 1-4x Razors, and that Burris chose SFP for their new 1-5x XTRII, while using dual focal plane in the 1.5-8x and FFP in all the higher powers?

Of course, the best measure is for the purchaser to simply try and look through one before buying. Half the talk on this forum would dry up if high end tactical style scopes were in stock within easy driving distance of most users. I think less than a third of the scopes I own are stocked at any shop within an hour of my house.

Of course, the best measure is for the purchaser to simply try and look through one before buying. Half the talk on this forum would dry up if high end tactical style scopes were in stock within easy driving distance of most users. I think less than a third of the scopes I own are stocked at any shop within an hour of my house.

+1

No kidding! If someone remotely close to me stocked a selection of quality optics, my scope shopping would be much easier. It takes me nearly a year to decide on one. By the time I finally buy one, the market gets flooded with a plethora of new models and I instantly have buyer's remorse....

I've posted my sentiment about the Vortex PST 2.5-10x in other threads, but I'll repeat it here in case it helps. If the scope is going on a rifle that would not matter if the scope had to go back for repair for a week or two, then get the Vortex and pocket the difference. I've had the Vortex and now have the NF, and I feel that the Vortex is 95% of the scope that the NF is less the reliability aspect.

Here's a quick rundown of the two:

NF
-True zero stop, not that mushy shim zero stop
-Reliability track record
-Nice, bright and clear glass
-Accurate and repeatable tracking
-SFP

Vortex 2.5-10x
-Good illumination range
-Very tactile clicks
-Great glass, and bright
-Very useful reticle
-Parallax adjustment
-FFP

The Nightforce is, without a doubt, the better built scope. But not everyone needs a tanklike scope or wants to pay for one. If you're willing to wait a month or two, the Burris XTR II series looks very promising, with a 2-10x42 FFP model that should be very competitive with the scopes you're looking at, for $799 or so. Link below. I don't think anyone has these in stock yet but as you can see in the 6-page thread about them they should be in stock very soon.

XTR Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

Yes, it does look promising. Definitely has piqued my interest. The Vortex, although a new variant, seems to be more proven in the field. With the Burris I'd wait for more end-user feedback.

The way I look at it, if I'm shooting far enough that I need to use a reticle, I'm on 10x anyway.

I'm not a fan of ffp on low magnification scopes, more times than not, it renders the reticle useless or almost useless on low magnification, and if your shooting at distance, you'll be at 4 or 6x.

+1. Ffp in a max 10x scope is the optics equivalent of tits on a bull.

Thanks for your feedback. These are examples of the type of commentary I often found during my research. Although I value these opinions from experienced users, I was more interested in the reason why FFP was not preferred in low power scopes. From the discussion here it seems to be the availability of an optimal reticle (or lack thereof), and the practicality of having to range targets at such low magnification.

There's only one thing that bothers me about my NF 2.5-10 and that is it does not have any marks below the turret so there is no indication of which rev I'm on. Not much of a problem for you because you'll be shooting inside 300Y but still I thought I should mention it.

Other than that it's a pretty awesome scope! It is nice having SFP for close in shooting. For me the scope is either on 10x or 2.5x. Mine has the LV600 reticle in it. I dial 6 clicks up from my 100Y zero and use the reticle on 10x for holdovers so it's a pretty versatile scope. The windage hashes are very close for 69's as well.

I actually plan to shoot within the 500 meter range, maybe even stretching it out to 600, depending on the availability of land/space. How do you like the LV600? I was considering that choice, but was concerned it might be too limiting considering it's calibrated to shoot specific loads. Seems like it would be great for close-in engagements though.

I'm really used to using FFP. If I can see the reticle, I'll probably end up trying to use it at the wrong power when I'm in a hurry. I've done it with my 1-4x PST. I can only imagine it would be happening far more often with a 2.5-10x power scope. I would much rather have FFP with a good reticle like the one they're putting in the Bushnell Long Range Hunter.

I once owned a PST 1-4x and really liked the reticle for CQB on my AR15s. However, the more I began looking at the ranging ability of optics, the more I realized how little I actually know about shooting accurately at distance. I thought I had a decent understanding having used ACOGs throughout my military career, but ranging using MOA/MRAD type reticles was a skill I knew I had to figure out and master if I plan to ever become a serious shooter. Thanks for your input.

In my opinion, there is no downside to FFP when a well-designed reticle is used. I really like the ones that SWFA and USO use in their low magnification scopes. They work like an Eotech reticle at low magnification and a standard mil-radian reticle at higher magnification. That combined with the ability to hold for elevation/windage at any magnification makes SFP virtually obsolete in my opinion. The only place I would ever consider using SFP anything would be benchrest/F-class style shooting or the dual focal plane concept that USO uses in their awesome SR-8c or whatever it is called.

Different strokes for different folks though...

Thanks. That seems like a valid argument against SFP, but it seems to make more sense at higher magnification. When I had the PST 1-4x I couldn't understand why I'd ever use the ranging capability of the reticle at anything other than max power. I appreciate your feedback.

So far I have seen that: too fine a reticle and it's practically useless at lower power. But too robust a reticle and it becomes obstructive. I really do like the Leupold CMR-W 7.62 reticle as it seems to meet all the requirements, but the Mark 8 1.1-8x and Mark 6 3-18x are both out of my spending range currently. I know I can get it in the Mark 6 1-6x with the .mil discount, but I think I'd want just a little more reach on the high end of the magnification range. Thanks.

Yes, in principle. It's just that to me there aren't many companies doing good reticle design on lower power FFP scopes. The only FFP reticle I'm completely happy with in a lower power scope is Leupold's CMR-W in the 1-6x Mark 6. I would give a B to SWFA's reticle in the 1-6x SS and a B+ to their discontinued T-reticle (German #4 style, kinda) in the 1-4x SS (they are only now selling the circle-cross reticle in that scope). I've owned the FFP Vortex PST in 2.5-10x32 and 4-16x50 flavor and both were very thin bordering on too faint to see at minimum power. About the same for the G2DMR in the Bushnell 3-12x44, although for some reason I find it slightly easier to use at minimum power.

Wanting to use illumination generally makes things more difficult still, though again the CMR-W does very well, and the SWFA SS do fairly well.

In comparison, it's really hard to mess up a SFP reticle in the lower power range. Notice that Vortex only offers SFP in their lower power scopes (Razor 1-6x and PST 1-4x) after discontinuing the FFP 1-4x Razors, and that Burris chose SFP for their new 1-5x XTRII, while using dual focal plane in the 1.5-8x and FFP in all the higher powers?

Fortunately, I have a lot of shops in my area that sell optics. Many commercial off-the-shelf brands, but some exotics as well. I've had the opportunity to handle a few I've been interested in. The Viper HSLR with XLR reticle has been the latest I've had the opportunity to put my hands on and it seemed like a very nice scope. However, I was a bit concerned about being able to actually use the reticle effectively at lower power, hence my original question on whether or not it's a necessary feature in lower power variable optics.

No kidding! If someone remotely close to me stocked a selection of quality optics, my scope shopping would be much easier. It takes me nearly a year to decide on one. By the time I finally buy one, the market gets flooded with a plethora of new models and I instantly have buyer's remorse....

Lol Hopefully it won't take me that long.

You all have been great. Looking forward to furthering the discussion. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I've posted my sentiment about the Vortex PST 2.5-10x in other threads, but I'll repeat it here in case it helps. If the scope is going on a rifle that would not matter if the scope had to go back for repair for a week or two, then get the Vortex and pocket the difference. I've had the Vortex and now have the NF, and I feel that the Vortex is 95% of the scope that the NF is less the reliability aspect.

Here's a quick rundown of the two:

NF
-True zero stop, not that mushy shim zero stop
-Reliability track record
-Nice, bright and clear glass
-Accurate and repeatable tracking
-SFP

Vortex 2.5-10x
-Good illumination range
-Very tactile clicks
-Great glass, and bright
-Very useful reticle
-Parallax adjustment
-FFP

I'm tracking NF's legendary reliability track record, and Vortex's excellent customer service, which people seem to use A LOT. However, I think I'd prefer a scope that I didn't have to send in for repairs. Thanks for your input.

Blackfoot,

Yep, with BDC reticles there is a little tuning if a guy wants the hashes to line up with trajectory "perfectly". From what I've determined the velocity is a little more important than the BC. I was pushing the 75's too fast in the short barrel and was getting poor brass life.
That's why I switched to 69's vs 75's in my AR which the NF is mounted on. 2725 fps/give or take a few at my Alt is a good speed for 223 and the LV600. I'm within a click out to 600Y and it's faster than a regular reticle for holdovers/holdoffs.

If interested go NF's site to their reticle sight in distance calculator and see what's up with the reticles, trajectories and sightin distances.

I am in your same situation. I have a LMT MWS in the safe that I need to scope. I have also thought a lot about the NF 2.5-10 as it seems like a good fit for the rifle. I am very comfortable with a low powered scope but have strong reservations about shooting one with a second focal plane reticle. I only shoot FFP on my other rifles and am pretty sure I would sabotage myself with one SFP scope in the mix. I thought about a FFP S&B 3-12 P4f, as they were on sale, but I think the reticle would be too fine for usability at the lower powers.

I think I will save my coin, be patient, and scope it with another Hensoldt 3-12x56. I have one on a 20" 308 TRG and it is a nice fit for the caliber and rifle. It is also relatively light weight and compact at 27 ounces. The reticle is a mil-dot and seems to be the perfect thickness for usability and precision at low and high power. The optics and eyebox are excellent. I was a little hesitant to purchase another Hensoldt initially due to potential difficulty with repairs. However, Europtics now handles any warranty claims and has a history of great customer service. The mil-dot reticle is simple and I have not had any problems shooting it compared to more elaborate reticles that I own. I KNOW that I will love it and that is worth some more coin over a maybe...

TKAB

Last edited:
I run a March 3-24x42mm FFP on my 20" upper. It's a pretty compact scope, and only weighs 22oz. The thick outer bars on the FML reticle make it very usable at 3x, even over a dark background.

Here is is with a buddy's 1-10x24mm and my 1-4x24mm PST for reference:

Last edited:
I run a March 3-24x42mm FFP on my 20" upper. It's a pretty compact scope, and only weighs 22oz. The thick outer bars on the FML reticle make it very usable at 3x, even over a dark background.

Here is is with a buddy's 1-10x24mm and my 1-4x24mm PST for reference:

I was looking hard at the March scopes at one point. They look like very nice scopes. Haven't had an opportunity to see one up close and personal or handle one, but I imagine they'd be of exceptional quality given the price point.

I ended up ordering the NF 2.5-10x32 w/ MOAR reticle today, as well as the SWFA 3-9x42 FFP. I figure I'd take advantage of the tax day sale and give it a try. Worse case I can always sell one or the other, or both and upgrade to something that would more than satisfy the requirement. Either way it should give me a good point of reference to determine whether I prefer SFP or FFP, or even if I want more magnification on the high end or not. I would've got the Vortex to make it a more direct comparison, but I couldn't afford to spend the money on both, so I think the SWFA is close enough. I suppose we will all have varying opinions on the matter, but it's ultimately up to me to decide what's going to work best for me. I appreciate everyone's input. Now the wait begins to get the glass in hand and start launching bullets down range.

i was measuring bullet holes with my scope today while sighting in. i started doing the math ok half mil about 1.75 moa then i realized my hdmr is mil mil adjusted .5 and money it was kind of nice and easy once i realized no math needed. i like a sfp for hunting . it makes the reticle easy to see at low power. i like on my ffp my wind holds do not change with power. especially my hdmr 21 power i have to reduce power to see through mirage sometimes and the wind holds do not change when you do. with a max power of 10x i do not think it matters much. my sfp mark 4 3.5-10 m3 i love for hunting and long range. one turn to 1300 on my 300wm

Last edited:
Shooting both NF and Vortex scopes, the glass on my NXS is much clear. Both my scopes are SFP, shooting longrange I find it beneficial since you don't end up with the reticule covering to much of the target. With all my shooting done at known distance, I'm only using my reticule to adjust my scope if my shot is off by a large amount. The small adjustments 1 or 2 clicks I don't find that much need to measure.

The other benefit if SFP has been posted and thats at lower settings it becomes difficult to see the reticule on FFP.

Blackfoot, nice job with your purchases. I run a SS 3x9x42 MRAD FFP on a Heavy Barrel 20" AR and I have ALOT of fun shooting that gun. I can see how some really get into the whole FFP thing.

However, I like a SFP reticle for bench work and hunting! I have a March 2.5x25x42 SFP that is a joy to use for both!

I have however been slowly trying to convert everything to Mil/Mil. I find it so easy to work with, but either system is OK with me. Its just math.

Enjoy your new toys!