• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Final Assembly: Titanium 6.5 Sheep rifle

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Once in a lifetime sheep hunt so the owner of this puppy isn't taking any chances.

This is a really nice rifle.

Nitty Gritty:

Xtreme TI receiver
    Proof 6.5mm 1:8 bang stick
    Jewel
    McMillan M40A1 stock
    Sunny Hill Enterprises trigger guard
    Wyatt Extended box
    ADL setup. You'll notice that down in the floor of the magazine well there's a little extra carbon. I laid that up in there just to reinforce the box. With only two laminates on the shell in this area just seemed like easy insurance to lay a couple more pieces. This is 40oz twill weave with a little kevlar and ss stranded wire woven into the fabric.

The pinned escutcheon just ensures the countersink is clocked to the right position for assembly. Because the stock has a 2.5* draft angle and the sits flush with the belly line it's important to ensure the head of the screw lays square to the countersink. This is important (to me anyway) as it ensures were not side loading the screw when everything is snugged up while preserving the presentation I'm after when you look at it.

5.5lbs with just B/A and stock (no bolt trigger) Haven't put it all together yet so not quite sure where it'll finish at. Guessing around 6.25 lbs.

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

Last edited:
    Here's a couple more:

The new 4th axis fixture I made for doing ejection port inlets is working well for me. The edges are seamless and 1:1. This has always been a bit of a bitch for me to do with the surfacing process I was using. Clamping the stock in the vises would squeeze the stock a tiny bit. this prevented the action from clamming up tight so it was always a guess as to where the edge needed to be. Now the stock is completely static with no preload whatsoever and the receiver is fitted simultaniously. Makes the job a whole lot simpler with no hand work other than breaking the razor sharp edges.

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0184-1.jpg

DSC_0187-1.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

Chad,

As always, perfection. Would love to see a couple pics of your cool 4th axis fixture.

Regards, Paul

That is a very cool rifle build....really like the colors and component choices. Great work, hope it shoots lights out and the hunter gets a great sheep

Did not realize your shop did paint like this...anymore assembled pics you can share that show more of the assembled rifle?

That's awesome. I live about 10 minutes away from where those actions are built apparently. Didn't even know they were here.