• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Finally, a coyote!

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    So I've been hunting coyotes for many years, and for the most part I've been quite unsuccessful, as a matter of fact the only confirmed kill I've made was a coyote who'd been hit by a car, so I dont count that one. Its become a running joke in the family, I've probably shot at more coyotes than anyone else, but yet to put my hands on one.
    Always stuborn, Ive never given up, and today the spell was broken.
    I went to my favorite coyote spot early this morning, conditions were perfect, so I quietly made my way from the truck towards a spot that I had previously had good luck. I called for about 15-20 minutes, and when nothing happened, I started moving towards another spot. As I walked I'd stop and watch for activity. I spotted movement, a small yote working his way towards me. I hit him with the Leica, it said 220 yds. My first impression was how small he seemed, I knew he wasnt full grown, but he turned out to be much smaller than I expected, I wasnt giving him much time either way.
    I was shooting my DTA covert .308, I like to think it was a short piece of luck

760902C7.jpg

1E1C5CB8.jpg

Re: Finally, a coyote!

Shoulda wiped the milk off his lips before you took the pic
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: i_rep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That bullet f'd him up.....No saving that pelt. </div></div>

Aint no pelt on a month old pup!

Sweet.

If you can find the den without getting busted, you may find several more above ground. I've only had it happen once, but it was good fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet.

If you can find the den without getting busted, you may find several more above ground. I've only had it happen once, but it was good fun. </div></div>
    I know where the den is, I have more pics that Ill put up later.

I snuck in there again this morning, I called the adults, and they responded, but wouldn't show. Before I called them, I did spot another juvenile poking around in the brush. I followed him through the scope for about 400yds as he wandered back towards the den. I couldn't bring myself to shoot the lil' bastard, he was too cute. So I instead concentrated on the hill where his family was, hoping to bring them out for just a moment. I had a perfect deadrest and 350 yd zero, I was ready, they just wouldn't come out. We hollerd back and forth for a bit, then I decided to bug out before I wore out my welcome and spooked em.

I am pumped to go Coyote hunting someday, but yeah those pups look a little too much like my own dog, don't think I would shoot one of those more than once. That 175 looks like it had C4 in the body judging by the corpse of that first one!

Congrats on your yote!

I think you got em! It took me a while to get my first as well, now that the first one is out of the way you will start getting into more and more dawgs. Nice work

Good shooting. Coyotes are harder to hunt than most people think. Unless you're in an area where they are thicker than thieves.

My best coyote shot was offhand at 265 yds. A pack was moving through our dry cows that we pasture over the winter. They were getting too bold so I dropped the leader. I lead him 6" and 2" up. He did some floppin' and flippin' but the rest of the pack didn't come in so close after that.

We never lost a calf to a coyote that I can ever remember. But, the threat was always there. However, we lost thousands a year to jackrabbits eating our alfalfa. After that, I didn't shoot too many coyotes. Not unless they needed it....

After I moved to Minnesota, I had my German Shorthair have her pups out in the kennel (instead of inside where they should have been). When coyotes came on to my back lawn, not only did I find a way to shoot them, I found a way to do it very quietly.

Holy crap I'm still laughing. You gutted that little bugger. Nice shooting. I dropped a little yearling last year at 448 yrds. Felt kinda bad for shooting a pup but still worth it. The only good yote is a dead one.

nice shooting. I have never had yote success...I always seem to across them when I am not hunting them. I guess that's they way it's supposed to work...

That coyote looks like you hit it with a car too, good shooting on a small target. Congrats on getting your first. Now that the monkey is off your back, go get some of those big fawn killers.

Congrats on the yote! I have had zero success hunting them, but I’ve have several kills of opportunity. I killed one Saturday while bush-hogging. I ran over (bush-hogged) a goat carcass one my first lap. Second lap there was a dang yote there chewing on it. I didn’t have a pistol on me, so I just kept on clipping. This yote stayed out in front of the tractor about 20 to 30 yds bouncing around like a yard-dog waiting on a treat. After ~200 yds, he cut out through a damaged gate and into the woods. This blew my mind; never seen one hang out like that. I figured he was gone, but on the next lap, I spotted him there again. I went to get a rifle and just left the tractor running so he wouldn’t think anything was different. Set up about 50yds from the gate he went though and within about 5 min, he came trotting along. Rolled is butt with a .223. It didn’t do near the damage that 175smk did on yours!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the yote! I have had zero success hunting them, but I’ve have several kills of opportunity. I killed one Saturday while bush-hogging. I ran over (bush-hogged) a goat carcass one my first lap. Second lap there was a dang yote there chewing on it. I didn’t have a pistol on me, so I just kept on clipping. This yote stayed out in front of the tractor about 20 to 30 yds bouncing around like a yard-dog waiting on a treat. After ~200 yds, he cut out through a damaged gate and into the woods. This blew my mind; never seen one hang out like that. I figured he was gone, but on the next lap, I spotted him there again. I went to get a rifle and just left the tractor running so he wouldn’t think anything was different. Set up about 50yds from the gate he went though and within about 5 min, he came trotting along. Rolled is butt with a .223. It didn’t do near the damage that 175smk did on yours! </div></div>

Coyotes have very little fear of tractors. They'll often follow them and eat the mice dug up while doing tillage.

Congrats on the first one. My first I put one right through both lungs at 100yds but she took of running so I doubted my shooting, shot again when her nose hit the crosshair - 140yds right in the neck she did a mid air flip and hit DRT. Put 2 un-needed holes in the pelt
    smirk.gif

Any tips for a first time coyote hunter? I am headed down to the Big Bend area in a few weeks and will be giving it the ole college try...anyone ever try to use a gut pile combined with a call?

I'm all for offing yotes but it sure does trip me out how much that one looks like my dog Strider. I think if that guy was in my sights I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger.

I mean check it out, it's uncanny how similar they look-
    Strider1234.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm all for offing yotes but it sure does trip me out how much that one looks like my dog Strider. I think if that guy was in my sights I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger.

I mean check it out, it's uncanny how similar they look-
    Strider1234.jpg
    </div></div>

He needs a dog ass-whompin beaten-smacken tummy-rub. Then he'll be a better dog...just because.

Coldboremiracle glad you got 'em. They all grow up and get big and kill the wild game we hunt. Found a dead calf in April this year that yotes had killed. We hunt them in PA and MD. They get big in the eastern hardwoods. Keep goin' for 'em and good luck!

I know the feeling, had been out a few times here in Pa no luck. So when I went to TX for turkey an hogs I took the fox pro along as well.
    Well called a few times after tagging out on birds (2), and no
    luck.
    The LAST day we were there hunting my friend and I set up on a water hole for the evening and it had been hot all day. Figured we might catch a hog coming in for a sip. Well no hogs but this rascal showed up. He got a drink of 60gr vmax instead. Thought he was in pretty decent shape for early April.
    yoteed.jpg

Rifle was 16" RRA HB with ACOG TA01.

Coyotes kinda remind me of big mice lol

Congrats on your first! I hammered a fox with a 175 SMK once, and I figured it would be a great pelt. Not so much. Just like yours, the insides are now outsides. Try pup distress to get mom and dad to come in. Take someone else along to help spot and run the laser. Much better success than going it solo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on your first! I hammered a fox with a 175 SMK once, and I figured it would be a great pelt. Not so much. Just like yours, the insides are now outsides. Try pup distress to get mom and dad to come in. Take someone else along to help spot and run the laser. Much better success than going it solo. </div></div>

The pup distress is my most successful call as well. Nice going coldbore.

Anytime, brother! I enjoy all the big game hunting I do, but there is so much work after the hunt. Coyote hunting is all about the fun. Throw a nice pelt into it, and it's even better! Coyotes do make some of the best pre-big game season practice.